Questionable modifications: pictures inside!

• Thread starter -Fred-
  • 38,839 comments
butthurt.jpg

Not butt-hurt, it just gets incredibly annoying when people say things that you know from personal experience are exaggerated or untrue. Then, when you bring it up, they say you obviously don't have said personal experience because you don't believe them about how hideous your own car's interior is. :banghead:

Yeah, I'm surprised a moderator hasn't showed up yet. At the rate this is going, we're gonna need a brand new thread for this discussion.

Yes, they do. And speaking from experience, the 1.4 in my Sonic sounds better than the 3.1 they used in the 1993 models. Seeing's how this is completely subjective, your mileage can (and obviously does) vary.

True, but no one seriously thinks a four sounds better than a six. Maybe if it's the 3.8L or 4.3L V6es, but other than that, no. Theoretically impossible.

Also (forgive my using Wikipedia for these two, but finding reliable data for something this old is nigh-impossible):
3.1 L 60-degree V6 140 HP
1.4 L (1,364 cc) Ecotec I4 (t/c) (138 hp)
If we back up a few years, then 2.0 L Turbo 122 I4 165 HP, but since yours is a 1993, it's irrelevant as yours was never offered with this engine.

Wikipedia is a lot more believable than Zero to 60 Times, and I belive 140hp is about what it was rated at. Also, the Sunbird Turbo is very relevant as a reference point - it was known (also according to Wikipedia IIRC) to be slower than the later V6 (which as you'll recall was one of the issues I mentioned with your link it had a Turbo going faster than a V6. And a vert going faster than a coupe, which is exactly backwards).

This I'll agree with, but it wasn't just airbags. The actual way the cars were built (e.g. no "crumple zones" to direct the energy away from the passengers) had even more to do with it.

Point.

I did use a :censored:ty website, but again, finding data for a 20-year-old Pontiac is not exactly easy. If you can cite any sources that contradict mine, go ahead.

Maybe Car & Driver has a back issue with a J-V6. Do you know where I can get those in hardcopy form?

Only three that are relevant, same platform or not. The turbo one only is since I referenced it earlier.

Actually, the Cavalier is very relevant. I don't know why you think it wouldn't be, seeing as how it's the same car with the same engine and the same transmission. Maybe. We have no way of knowing that the slower times weren't taken on AT versions.

The heaviest and most "refined" option package still is quicker than your Sunbird, using this data.

Still debatable, as above.

Manuals going about 8 seconds to 60, autos going about 9. Compared to the 9 seconds your Sunbird takes (if you've got any sources that contradict mine, I'd love to read them), yeah, I'd say the Cruze is as quick or quicker.

Still difficult to swallow, and how short did they have to set the gear ratios to do that?

Auto Rooster
*Chevy Cruze 0-60, 1/4 mile have been collected from different sources. All 0-60, 1/4 mile times are not absolute.

Knowing the internet, some of them were probably taken from sites just as cruddy as 0-60 Times.

See above text on why I think the V6/5MT Sunbird/Cavalier could easily best the 8.9 seconds mentioned by C&D, but in either case, the difference of 0.2 seconds could easily be down to conditions and driver error.

That one's pretty decent, but I'd be willing to bet that the long gears cause it to lose steam fast once you're past 60.

This one's more within expected range, and also mentions turbo lag, which the Sunbird usefully doesn't have. That article also implies that you can't completely turn off the traction control, which is a deal-breaker.

In closing: I don't much like the Cruze either. But to say that a 20 year old clunker from a manufacturer with a reputation for making horrible small cars at the time is better, well, I can't say what I really think without going outside the confines of the AUP.

Like I said, maybe not better if you have 20 grand to spend onf a small car and for some reason you don't want it to excite you, but it's definitely not as bad as some people on here say it is.

Now watch. As soon as I post this, I'll find three new posts that weren't here when I started. Probably a moderator telling me to take it elsewhere.

Well, this is the questionable modifications thread. Not the questionable factory build car thread, nor is it the silly offtopic discussion thread.

And no, this isn't just aimed at you, W&N.

I dunno, I guess some people would rather have a 4cylinder with comparable power (the 1ZZ-FE), bullet proof reliability, light weight, and hilariously better fuel economy than pretend their crappy compact car is fast because V6 TORQUE YO. That's without getting into the substantially better crash safety of the Corolla and the better interior. I know, none of that silly stuff is as important as torque though.

The one with comparable power would be the GT-S. You know, the one I don't think I've ever seen in person because most of them were recycled long ago.

Either way, at least my car doesn't sound like it's passing gas when I downshift and stomp on it. Not that I need to do that often, since it can drive along just a little above idle without even trying to choke out.

Can't continue this conversation though, I'm going to Bed Bath and Beyond and JC Penney after my exam tonight.

What can I say. I started driving an I4 Corolla and I can't stop going to women's clothing stores.

Technically, would it be a violation of the rules to leave this here?

Copypasted from Noob616's profile
(4) Social Groups:
GTP Bronies Science and Technology Discussion Group Sports Gamers Club The Macintosh Users Club

Can I be that guy and say I do?

No. :lol:

Well, this is the questionable modifications thread. Not the questionable factory build car thread, nor is it the silly offtopic discussion thread.

And no, this isn't just aimed at you, W&N.

Yeah, like I said, we'll probably need a new thread.

EDIT: Hey, who gave me premium? Guess I must be doing something right :lol:

Technically, would it be a violation of the rules to leave this here?
YgBGuBy.png

I haven't posted in the pony thread in god knows how long. I'll give you the mac group but I'm selling my mac and building a PC in 2 weeks, and I left my mac at home when I went to university, haven't used the overpriced boat anchor in 8 months.

However, this along with what you said to Cody just reaffirms everyone's belief that you're a big fish in a small pond that needs to validate his masculinity everywhere he goes.

The one with comparable power would be the GT-S. You know, the one I don't think I've ever seen in person because most of them were recycled long ago.

Either way, at least my car doesn't sound like it's passing gas when I downshift and stomp on it. Not that I need to do that often, since it can drive along just a little above idle without even trying to choke out.

You actually have no idea what you are talking about to such an extent it is painful. The late 80's and early 90's models Corollas had the 4A-GE as an option (the GT-S you speak of) which made about 130hp and I see as many of those around as I see. Keep in mind you live in Alaska, where not a lot of anything was sold because no one really lives there, so you are going to see wildly differing accounts of cars versus the rest of the US - Anchorage is basically a town compared to most small cities down here. The '93 up to '98 Corolla base models had the 7A-FE, a 1.8L 4Cylinder that made about 115 HP. The 1ZZ-FE, which was used after that, was the standard motor for ALL Corolla's built up to mid the mid naughts.

Keep in mind, even the lowly DX models and such put down comparable 0-60 times as your "powerful" V6 Cavalier, while getting vastly better fuel economy and not having crash standards and an interior intended for a Luddite.

As for me not liking your car, I don't think anyone here does. And considering my "modest" 3.0L I6 makes about 100 more ponies than your manly V6, I'm not exactly worried about it. Not to mention I get better fuel economy with it too.

Trying to turn this back into the questionable modifications thread, not the questionable ways to modify the thread.

funny-hilarious-cars-10.jpg

However, this along with what you said to Cody just reaffirms everyone's belief that you're a big fish in a small pond that needs to validate his masculinity everywhere he goes.

The Sunbird already oozes masculinity. So what's the point in reaffirm it in every post? ;)

Granted, there are far more questionable way for someone to affirm their apparent machismo.

98uNitu.jpg

CSVMAQj.jpg

The way I see it, yours has already been ruined by my refusal to loathe my car. But just in case,

Pontiac-Sunbird.jpg

Oh look it's a Sunbird. Now your day is ruined! Here, have anothe-

2696910134_large.jpg

Please convince me not to rip my eyes out.

I haven't posted in the pony thread in god knows how long. I'll give you the mac group but I'm selling my mac and building a PC in 2 weeks, and I left my mac at home when I went to university, haven't used the overpriced boat anchor in 8 months.

Good, good. Let the Windows flow through you!

Cody? Who?

Azuremen
You actually have no idea what you are talking about to such an extent it is painful. The late 80's and early 90's models Corollas had the 4A-GE as an option (the GT-S you speak of) which made about 130hp and I see as many of those around as I see.

Fair point. I haven't memorized many Toyota engine codes, so I just assumed you were talking about the late 80s Corolla, since it's closer in style and substance to the 88-94 J.

Keep in mind you live in Alaska, where not a lot of anything was sold because no one really lives there, so you are going to see wildly differing accounts of cars versus the rest of the US - Anchorage is basically a town compared to most small cities down here. The '93 up to '98 Corolla base models had the 7A-FE, a 1.8L 4Cylinder that made about 115 HP. The 1ZZ-FE, which was used after that, was the standard motor for ALL Corolla's built up to mid the mid naughts.

Then it's a much newer engine, and the 4cyl the J had at that point still outpowered the Corolla.

Keep in mind, even the lowly DX models and such put down comparable 0-60 times as your "powerful" V6 Cavalier, while getting vastly better fuel economy and not having crash standards and an interior intended for a Luddite.

DX variant of which generation? I find it difficult to believe that. Also, you keep mentioning the interior, forgetting that I have one of the cars in question. Don't you think I'd know if the interior was really that bad?

As for me not liking your car, I don't think anyone here does. And considering my "modest" 3.0L I6 makes about 100 more ponies than your manly V6, I'm not exactly worried about it. Not to mention I get better fuel economy with it too.

True, but it's not exactly fair to compare a 3-series - especially an M3 - to a mainstream compact.

It's a camo'd Porsche. From Europe. I mean, come on, that is questionable.

That's because it was an 80's Opel Ascona. GM just thought that "Well, why not keep selling it without changing much of anything?" well into the 1990s.

The way I see it, yours has already been ruined by my refusal to loathe my car. But just in case,

Oh look it's a Sunbird. Now your day is ruined!

I seem to have missed the part where I make my entire existence on this site a crusade to eradicate Sunbirds from the internet.

I seem to have missed the part where I make my entire existence on this site a crusade to eradicate Sunbirds from the internet.

Boy, coulda fooled me :rolleyes:

Every time I bring that car up, everyone instantly assumes they know more than me about the interior and try to convince me to hate it. I'm not buying.

And since I've posted a ruined Sunbird, I will now show you what people think of your beloved Corolla:

Mustang fail :lol:

31563830003_large.jpg

31563830002_large.jpg

Cops were gonna impound this one, too bad they didn't:

32874860078_large.jpg

It was worse before:

32874860040_large.jpg

*vomits*

33763340019_large.jpg

:lol:

38271430075_large.jpg

38271430076_large.jpg

Boy, coulda fooled me :rolleyes:

Every time I bring that car up, everyone instantly assumes they know more than me about the interior and try to convince me to hate it. I'm not buying.

And since I've posted a ruined Sunbird, I will now show you what people think of your beloved Corolla:

What point are you making? There are quite a lot of people out there who ruin a car of any kind. Do we have to pull up 20 pictures of Sunbirds/Cavaliers? No. Stop wasting our time.

The only thing particularly questionable about that Corolla is the front bumper setup. The rest of it looks pretty tidy, to be honest. A bit low perhaps, but that is stance for you.

White & Nerdy, you are insufferable.

My sister in law is exactly the same. She has an Audi A3 1.6, it's a base model, but it is the single best car that has ever graced the earth, according to her.

You are her.

Your car isn't as good as you make it out to be. Although I can understand you love of it. You would be better just swallowing your pride, and dropping it.

Back