"Racer X" is Patrick Crider, SohnVonStig! Going to Silverstone! (pics)

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 336 comments

Wardez

Not Hotdog
Staff Emeritus
United States
Las Vegas UTC-8
Wardez
Wardez
GTP members confirmed to be attending the event:
GTP_SniperWolph
chriz00
Ddrizle
dgaf95integra
VileFCboy
agentorunge
dobemaxx
HumanDestroyah*
SohnVonStig

Not confirmed, but should be going:
terrible1fi
HumanDestroyah
mcswrks*

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...cer-x-challenge-win-a-humanracing-gt-chassis/

Congratulations to our Top 32 competitors, who beat out a field of nearly 400,000 participants to compete in this year’s GT Academy 2012 National Finals. The 32 finalists (pending eligibility confirmation) will take part in a live head-to-head competition at the GT Academy National Finals event on Friday and Saturday, July 13th and 14th, at the Jolt’n Joe’s Gaslamp – a short distance away from the 2012 San Diego Comic-Con.
Introducing a new twist in this year’s competition, PlayStation and Nissan are backing up our “Victory Is Anyone’s” message by allowing any gamer to show up and secure one spot in the National Finals to compete against the top 32 finalists. Anyone (pending eligibility) can register at the Oasis Bar inside the Hard Rock Hotel in downtown San Diego on Thursday, July 12th from 10am to 4pm PST and compete for top lap time in Gran Turismo 5. The top competitor of the day will walk away with a one of a kind GT Academy 2012 designed HumanRacing GT Chassis equipped with the Thrustmaster T500RS wheel and pedal set. Additionally, the winner will earn a 33rd spot in the Finals competition, becoming “Racer X” and earning a chance Friday morning — July 13th — to knock out and replace any of the top 32 finalists.

So for those who didn’t make the top 32 in the online competition, this is your second chance to fight for ONE spot in the National Finals and also take away an exclusive GT Academy – HumanRacing GT Chassis and Thrustmaster Wheel! Just be sure to show up early, as the competition will be first come first serve. Since this is only open from 10:00am to 4:00pm, your window of opportunity is very limited, so be sure to show up early and ready to race!
Once in the National Finals Event, the 33 contestants will be divided into individual groups and race in a series of live head-to-head races in Gran Turismo 5. Racing Nissan vehicles, each contestant will earn points based on the place they finish in. As race difficulty increases, the contestants with the fewest points at the end of each round will be eliminated until only 16 remain. These final 16 contestants will move on to Phase Two in GT Academy, taking the racers away from their PS3 consoles and onto the track, behind the wheel of real race cars, for a chance to become a professional race car driver and the official GT Academy winner for the U.S. The winner will have the opportunity to train with an elite racing team, and will work towards a debut as part of a professional team. The competitors’ road to victory will be documented in an innovative new series airing exclusively on Spike TV in late 2012.
More info, including Official Rules for Racer X and National Finals will be available very shortly through GT.com

Big news for those that can possibly make it to this event on the West coast. The HumanRacing GT Chassis is my favorite cockpit, winner's going to be extremely lucky!

If I didn't make it in I would've definitely gone down to compete in this, so awesome!

Official rules:

http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/academy/2012/rules/

GT ACADEMY 2012 COMIC-CON "RACER X" CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES

To enter the GT Academy 2012 National Finals Contest (“Contest”), you must be either a GT Academy 2012 Online Contest winner or a Racer X Contest winner and must be 18 years of age as of June 11, 2012.

Contest Dates. GT Academy 2012 Comic-Con Racer X Contest begins on July 12, 2012 10:00am PST and ends on July 12, 2012 4:00pm PST (“Contest Period”). Please note, due to technical and logistical factors, Sponsors reserves the right to change Contest start and end dates and times. See www.us.gran-turismo.com for updated Contest dates and times. Any change in start or end dates from the Official Rules will be posted at www.us.gran-turismo.com.

Contest Race. Visit the PlayStation® Gran Turismo area of the Oasis Bar inside the Hard Rock Hotel in downtown San Diego on July 12, 2012 between 10:00am PST and 4:00pm PST to complete a pre-determined race event. All contestants will compete using the same vehicle and track, which will be announced at the start of race. A contestant’s result is determined by fastest race time for the assigned race event. Once a contestant completes his or her time trial, the contestant’s race time will be recorded on Sponsors’ leaderboard. Contestants may only race once during their trial and cannot pause or restart at any point. They will need to line up again for a second attempt In the event of a tie at the end of the Contest Period, the contestants who are tied will race again to determine the winner.

If Sponsors cannot verify a winning contestant’s age, residency, or other factors deemed essential by Sponsors for participation in the National Finals, or if a winning contestant is not available to attend the National Finals, Sponsors may select an alternate contestant beginning with the contestant with the next fastest race time from the leaderboard.

PRIZES: Compete in National Finals (1 Prize):
The fastest contestant at the end of the Contest Period will qualify to the GT Academy National Finals (the “National Finals”) on July 13-14, 2012. At the National Finals, competitors will compete and race for one of 16 spots to compete in GT Academy which will take place at Silverstone Circuit in the United Kingdom, where the competitor will attend GT Academy Boot Camp and compete for the ultimate prize of becoming a professional race car driver. Separate contest rules apply to GT Academy. A Prize winner will forfeit their Prize if that contestant is unable to attend the National Finals during the designated time period, or if that contestant does not return the required Affidavit of Eligibility and Release within the required timeframe that verifies age and state of residency, and other compliance with these Contest rules.

PRIZES: GT Academy – HumanRacing® GT Chassis and Thrustmaster® T500 RS (1 Prize):
In addition, Sponsors will award the fastest contestant with (1) HumanRacing® (GT Academy Edition) plus (1) Thrustmaster® T500 RS Wheel. Approximate retail value combined, $3000.00

WINNERS: Winners will be announced at the close of the Contest Period (Approximately 4:00pm on July 12, 2012). Contestants must be present at this time to claim prize. Winner will be determined by the contestant that achieves the fastest race time during the Contest Period as recorded by the game software. Race times are ranked in order of fastest to slowest. In the event of a tie, the contestants with the fastest race times will race again to determine the winner. All decisions regarding all matters of this Contest are at Sponsors’ discretion and are final and binding. Sponsors is not responsible for technical, hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmissions that may limit a contestant’s ability to participate in the Contest. Sponsors reserves the right in its sole discretion to modify, cancel or suspend this Contest should disruptions, interruptions, hardware or software malfunctions, data loss or corruption, a virus, bugs or any other cause beyond Sponsors’ control compromise or corrupt the administration, security or proper play of this Contest.

ELIGIBILITY AND RELEASE: Contest open to legal U.S. residents who are 18 years of age or older as of July 12, 2012 and who are in San Diego on July 12, 2012. The top 16 winners who have previously advanced to the GT Academy - Silverstone Finals, or the top 32 winners competing in the GT Academy 2012 National Finals are not eligible. Winning contestants must execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release within one day of receipt and must meet eligibility requirements as described in Addendum A attached. Return of any prize or prize notification as undeliverable will result in disqualification and an alternate winner will be selected. Failure to return Affidavit of Eligibility and Release within seven days of receipt may result in Prize forfeiture. Winning contestants may be required to sign an image release acceptable to Sponsors in order to claim any Prize. Any contestant who does not meet the requirements of these Contest rules may forfeit Prizes or be disqualified from the Contest in Sponsors’ sole discretion. Unclaimed prizes may not be awarded to other contestants. No tickets or other travel documentation will be issued in the name of any contestant who has not signed required documents. Sponsors will not replace any lost, mutilated, or stolen tickets, travel vouchers or certificates. Prize is not transferable, assignable, or redeemable for cash. No substitution for the prize by the winner will be allowed. If necessary, due to unavailability of the prize for any reason, a prize of equal or greater value will be awarded at the sole discretion of the Sponsors. All Federal, state and local tax liabilities are the responsibility of a winning contestant. Acceptance of a Prize constitutes permission (except where prohibited) for the Sponsors to use the contestant’s name, likeness, biography, statements, and any other similar materials for marketing, promotional and publicity purposes without additional compensation or any limitation. Employees of the Sponsors and its parent, subsidiaries and affiliated companies and their immediate families are not eligible to participate in this Contest. Neither the Sponsors nor its affiliates, subsidiaries, division or related companies or prize providers or event administrators are responsible for any damages, taxes, or expenses that winners might incur as a result of this Contest or receipt of a Prize or any portion of a Prize.

Last edited:
Awesome. Too bad I won't get to San Diego until late Friday night, will miss that competition. Good luck to those that go. 👍

That event looks like a lot of fun, best of luck to those who give it a shot!

I'm almost bummed I can't compete, that is one sweet ass chair. Looked it up, it costs $1500, plus the T500RS makes that a $2000 prize.

Considering I have a rig I am happy with, if I won, I could sell the chair and the wheel to cover my plain ticket, hotel and bar tab expenses (for the party after the semi finals).

Well, I just checked my American Express rewards points and I have over twice the amount I would need fly there and I would just stay in a hostel for a hundred bucks. This is tempting.

Last edited:
If it is a license style test where you have to drive around all the blue cones, I think I will pass... I do not want to set the Hard Rock Cafe on fire.

Hotels are ~120+ for anything 3 stars or more.

Hostels are you friend and are nothing like the movie...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the blog also confirms they're filming everything again for a TV show, but it'll be presented on Spike TV this year, not Speed.

Wardez
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the blog also confirms they're filming everything again for a TV show, but it'll be presented on Spike TV this year, not Speed.

Good deal. I plan to watch it this year as it's televised. Will keep an eye out for when. Thanks for the heads up.

But does he get to wear this?

men-speed-racer-x-costume.jpg

s2k2k3
But does he get to wear this?
LOL
Think everyone that competes for the racer X spot should wear that. During the finals too. That would be awesome.

Does anyone know if the finals will be televised?

This would be a fun event to attend even just to watch. I wonder if they are going to use one of the longer GT5 license tests since they won't have to worry about track boundaries being set right and such. Would be cool if they had a web cam streaming during the contest.

Oh man, this is tempting. I got plenty of sick time at work too. :drool:

It looks like chriz00 and GTP_SniperWolph are probably going to be there. Weren't you guys pretty close to the cut off for the top 32(Or at least in the 1:31s)?

Any other alien-esque GTPers going to show up?

It looks like chriz00 and GTP_SniperWolph are probably going to be there. Weren't you guys pretty close to the cut off for the top 32(Or at least in the 1:31s)?

No wasn't even close was stuck at 1:32.2's I was within the top 50 in early events, i spent more time with rounds 3-4-5 and coasted on 6-7-8-4...8-5 turn 2 is my enemy, I should have been close to the cut off.

Last edited:

No wasn't even close was stuck at 1:32.2's I was within the top 50 in early events, i spent more time with rounds 3-4-5 and coasted on 6-7-8-4...8-5 turn 2 is my enemy, I should have been close to the cut off.

Same here, I was stuck at 1:32.1, given another week or two I'd probably make it in the 1:31's lol

It's worth a shot though, so it seems like SniperWolph, terrible1fi, dgaf95integra, and myself are the only GTP'ers attending???

Would be cool if it was down to the 4 of us lol :dopey:

I'll be there if I can come up with 500 dollars. I'm selling all my car parts lol. I was at a 31.338 for what its worth. GIVE UP DONT SHOW UP GUYS! :P

Back