Racesimcentral.com to make an "E3 Special Report" on GT5. IT'S OUT, watch @ 1st post

• Thread starter Coxis
  • 254 comments
Seriously cant believe someone posted a real car video to try and defend FM3s quite static and limited car motion in cornering...

I enjoyed the comparison video with both games and the GT40.

As far as I can remember it was like that for control pad owners only. If you had a wheel it was possible to disable that aid. I could be wrong though.

Correct 👍

It was primarily to keep out the pad users from the finals. After all, you don't drive a real car with a pad, it would have been problematic putting a pad user in the drivers seat of a 370z or a Nissan GTR around a track.

Seriously cant believe someone posted a real car video to try and defend FM3s quite static and limited car motion in cornering...

Exactly. I couldn't see the point in his argument... The weight transfer and body role of the cars in motion is so poorly implemented in Forza 3, it looks so un-lifelike.

Man check out the differences, the steering wheel (10&2) prancing horse the ac vents in the dash, the visor, the top of the windshield GT looks way better.
Yeah the cockpit is nice. One thing I wish for in GT though is more legible gauges in cockpit view. The Forza gauges look clearer, I don't like using the side gauges in racing games because I usually use bumper cam so having clear gauges in cockpit view is something I need (when I use cockpit view).

Wow! this would be great.

I really enjoy GTR and LFS. I am no expert in physics but I feel very comfortable with the car handling and racing in these two games!

I did a comparison of GTR Evolution, LFS, Iracing, latest version of Netkar Pro and GT5P last week - by playing them back to back with my DFGT, mainly to see how the FFB felt and overall physics and driving "feel"

Now I didn't use the same cars in each obviously, but just your average FR and MR cars.
I found LFS the worst of the bunch in terms FFB feel and how the physics felt. It just feels old I guess. Too easy to drift. Sense of speed was ok

NetKar PRO, with the latest changes, it feels good to drive and nice sense of speed. You can slide the cars a bit now and it feels meaty/solid. FFB is improved, but there is a certain kind of "deadness" in the overall feeling that the physics didn't have before the recent changes. You gain some, and then you lose some

Iracing , FFB was decent, but the sense of speed is pretty low, and it still feels odd to drive to me, cars don't seem to slide like I expect. Seems to be the "holy grail" for others, but not to me. The cars feel different, but they also don't feel that different despite the claims of sophisticated modelling

GTR Evo felt ok, decent sense of speed, good but canned FFB effects, physics felt decent, but simple. I mostly drove the road Viper, R8 and Gumpet.
Cars don't feel all that much different to each other in an inner way. Sure some are faster, and some handle differently, but they don't "feel" like different cars

GT5:P - FFB feels a bit soggy and lot more numb vs the PC games. I thought the FFB in GT4 was better in terms of snapiness! And you tend to oversteer in certain situations without any warning, was driving the Viper and Tuned Ford GT. But there is a certain feel to it that makes all the cars feel different. Must be a GT thing, because I noticed this in GT4, and not in other games.
There is this "looseness", that I really like, which I felt was lacking in Netkar Pro.

Now the Time Trail felt better than GT5:P, weight transfer probably better than the PC sims! And the FFB more snappy like in GT4, but still somewhat numb in the detailing, and lacks some of the effects that Enthusia had, like how the wheel will spin when you let go of it coming out of a turn, to help straighten the car out.

Last edited:
Quite frankly, after TT they are. But that's only a good thing.. ;)

Have to agree... I originally thought GT5p was great and didn't like TT at first... but after playing TT for a while I really grew to like them and think they are actually an improvement over the already very good GT5P physics.

Quite frankly, after TT they are. But that's only a good thing.. ;)

I feel the same way and yeah thats defently a good thing 👍 Although I dont expect GT5 to have as realistic physics as the best pc sims, but I really hope PD suprise me!! :dopey:

The potential for PC sim handling and feel are there, if Kaz wants to go that way. There are plenty of driving aids, and he can have the two physics builds as we had in Prologue.

And frankly, I'd really like to see GT5 have the ballistic properties of a real car, reminiscent of the TT demo, even with Standard Physics. Kids could get a schooling on what driving is really all about from playing the game.

I hope they go all out with Pro physics as much as they can and make the Standard easy for the casual player (there are driving aids for those in between). That should make everyone happy.

What's funny is that at the top of the article it says that Indy and Daytona are the only confirmed Nascar tracks but then you find Texas Motor Speedway as well in the list at the end of the article.

How did you compare the physics when you don't know the tyres had similar tyre temperatures?

It should be common sense to anyone with a racing background that tires that get too hot can lose traction and so it takes less power to spin the wheels.

I'm sure on GT5 when your tyres get too hot, you will have to balance the throttle more carefully (not that you don't have to already). Your point doesn't stand very well. :yuck:

You seemed to have missed the point, and so I reiterate, please read the posts more carefully. The point is that in the TT the tire temperature is locked, if you want to compare the games you have to reach the same tire temperature. You haven't demonstrated otherwise, so I have no reason to question that point.

So you're telling me in the video from 0:19 to 0:21 the car wouldn't fall back down to Earth? You HAVE to be kidding me. Let's just put the video back up here so everyone can laugh at it.

First off, I don't think you realize that the video is in slow motion and that the car is going much faster. Secondly, you have no idea what sort of tire pressures the tires are at (remember, unlike GT, Forza has deformable tire modelling and physics simulation). Thirdly, when the car is going at those sorts of speeds it will take some correction to get all 4 tires back as soon as possible. It looks like the driver encouraged that 2 wheel stunt. I do think the tirewalls give in a bit too easily which can cause the car to roll too often, but anyone questioning how a curb can get your tires into the air doesn't know what they are talking about.

Soft springs, correct damper and rebound settings and you can floor it over that strip. That particular kerb is by far the worst IMHO.

This is because you are going downhill and the curb in question is not a rumble strip but a curb that is quite tall. It is perfectly natural for that scenario to launch one side of the car into the air. I do think that the rolls are too frequent and I think it's because the tires can flex a bit too much where the bottom meets the sidewall. The rolling has to do with how the tires are behaving, and not the weight of the car as some people are incorrectly thinking here. If you have enough energy to lift the car's tires off the ground, a heavier car/object can still roll if the tires will allow for it due to the inertia of the vehicle.

They said it was "physics wise, just like FM3", now, i dont remember a perpetual forced ASM and the cars tipping over like cows when they hit rumble strips in GT5P.(no there wasnt rollover in GT5P, but if there was, it wouldnt be like that) + no sense of speed and it looks like a toboggan driving.

To me it just shows how little they might know, also they didnt mention what physics model they were using, or even TCS ASM, important factors to mention when reviewing a Sim.

On the contrary it points out the little you know about the situation. Those aren't rumble strips, it's a curb. Also, the video was in slow motion, so your comment about "sense of speed" is way off target. So I wouldn't point fingers at the ISR guys...

That's something I completely forgot about with Forza. Every game has street cars that run flat as a quarter around turns, as if they all have racing suspensions even when stock. Well, there is a hint of it in F3, but just a bit.

I agree, and they fixed this a bit with Forza Motorsports 3 but it's still there. I think LFS and GT overdo it just a tad, but it is still far more realistic in those games.

Sometimes I wonder if GT has too much body roll and it's just sexier looking... I mean a lot of those race cars run on really stiff suspension.

I agree that it overdoes it, but it is not super extravagant and is much more realistic in conveying the behavior of a car (despite the exaggeration) than without it.

And you tend to oversteer in certain situations without any warning, was driving the Viper and Tuned Ford GT.

From my perspective this isn't a problem with Prologue's physics (and I don't think you are saying that, but some people might think that) and has to do with the feedback you are getting from the game in the sound and FFB.

I don't think we can judge the final game's physics based on the TT because it was in a hot lap mode. If the ISR guys say it is comparable to today's sims, then that's good enough. GT5 may have its strengths and weaknesses but as long as it is comparable that is all I need. It will obviously excel in other areas such as car count, graphical fidelity, and online (on the console space).

Back