Racesimcentral.com to make an "E3 Special Report" on GT5. IT'S OUT, watch @ 1st post

• Thread starter Coxis
  • 254 comments
I was surprised how little time they gave to discuss the physics. It sounds like they think that the physics haven't changed from GT5P, which is worrying. Because i thought the gt academy demo felt HEAPS better and really different from prologue. And by the sounds of this they didn't keep those physics...?

I don't think they played the GT academy demo.... or did they?

This where one's ability to analyze and put things into perspective comes in handy. To me both Shaun and Darin came across as more casual GT players and were probably less familiar with all the intricacies of the GT5 Prologue including its physics. While most of us who've put hundreds of hours into Prologue with setting we're quite familiar with have not trouble detecting the difference between the TT demo and Prologue, it would've been harder if we were less familiar with both the game and the setting. By setting I mean our setup- wheels, TV etc. as oppose to playing at a show like E3 or the SLS/GT5 party. Basically, this is a preview of a game and should be treated as such.

Here's a video showing just how much more harder it is to drive the Ferrari F40 in Prologue than it is in Forza 3. Both are stock F40 but you clearly see the difference in how the car handle. Both are stock with the one in Prologue using the recommended N3 tires. The most telling is the difference in the time- around 2:32 in Prologue and 2:15 in Forza.

Last edited:
From the youtube comments:
simracingtonight
I said the time trial physics were similar. Something that most don't understand is that the most important part of the physics are the tire models. Making a new tire model isn't a matter of tweaking some numbers. It takes a lot of fine tuning and is rarely perfect. Sure the time trial cars were a little harder to drive, that IMO didn't make the physics better. I don't think a rework to the tire model has been done.

I don't see how a decent tire model makes up for the fundamental flaw that is the extremely high grip levels that you experience in Forza 3. I refer back to my earlier point, you have to purposefully overdrive the car to get the basic overview of the physics. ISR have not done this, otherwise they would have seen there is a clear difference.

Equally, i've played rFactor, with a pad. I notice that the physics are harder, but very similar to GT5:P. The only problem GT has is the stability during braking, ABS on or off, it doesn't matter, it's far too stable.

I don't understand tire models... But I do understand that the tires used in the E3 demo were most likely R2s for the racers and S2/3 for the road cars. N1-3 is where it's at, and it's those tires they should use when testing the game at release. The default tire selection is there for the benefit of the arcade/casual racers.

Last edited:
Suspension

Body Roll

That Other Game

Real F40 on the track

Virtually no body roll even on high speed corners...

Sometimes I wonder if GT has too much body roll and it's just sexier looking... I mean a lot of those race cars run on really stiff suspension.

Can someone please go into a bit more detail on forza's tire physics? I have played Fm3 before but i never really noticed anything special about the tires.

BTW Its not body roll, its weight transfer that is part of the physics. Body roll is just the effect of weight transfer

Real F40 on the track

Virtually no body roll even on high speed corners...

Sometimes I wonder if GT has too much body roll and it's just sexier looking... I mean a lot of those race cars run on really stiff suspension.

1. I see a good amout of body roll in that video
2. I don't know what you're talking about since the GT5P video isn't over the top at all and is very similar to the real video you posted

This where one's ability to analyze and put things into perspective comes in handy. To me both Shaun and Darin came across as more casual GT players and were probably less familiar with all the intricacies of the GT5 Prologue including its physics. While most of us who've put hundreds of hours into Prologue with setting we're quite familiar with have not trouble detecting the difference between the TT demo and Prologue, it would've been harder if we were less familiar with both the game and the setting. By setting I mean our setup- wheels, TV etc. as oppose to playing at a show like E3 or the SLS/GT5 party. Basically, this is a preview of a game and should be treated as such.

Here's a video showing just how much more harder it is to drive the Ferrari F40 in Prologue than it is in Forza 3. Both are stock F40 but you clearly see the difference in how the car handle. Both are stock with the one in Prologue using the recommended N3 tires. The most telling is the difference in the time- around 2:32 in Prologue and 2:15 in Forza.

Man check out the differences, the steering wheel (10&2) prancing horse the ac vents in the dash, the visor, the top of the windshield GT looks way better.

1. I see a good amout of body roll in that video
2. I don't know what you're talking about since the GT5P video isn't over the top at all and is very similar to the real video you posted

In the GT video I see the outside corner almost touching the ground on almost every turn and even after coming out of a turn the car seems to be rocking back and forth while the driver regains control.

In the real video even on the hardest turns the clearance from the outside bumper corner to the ground looks about the same as the inside showing little or no roll.

F40 LM is a different beast, it's got more power and stiffer suspension setup. The standard F40 suspension tends to move more, as it was supposed to be somewhat drivable on regular roads. F40LM not street legal anyway, track car I'm sure it is. Anyone else notice that the F40 in Forza has it's gearing wrong, that car has unusually tall gears in real life. I don't think that car in the video was stock, the GT5P video the car stayed longer in the lower gears.

I can only imagine how hard that F40LM is to drive with such a stiff suspension:scared:, all it would take was one tire on the rumble strip and everything would become a shuddering juddering trip on a motorized pogo stick on overdrive.

F40 LM is a different beast, it's got more power and stiffer suspension setup. The standard F40 suspension tends to move more, as it was supposed to be somewhat drivable on regular roads. F40LM not street legal anyway, track car I'm sure it is. Anyone else notice that the F40 in Forza has it's gearing wrong, that car has unusually tall gears in real life. I don't think that car in the video was stock, the GT5P video the car stayed longer in the lower gears.

I can only imagine how hard that F40LM is to drive with such a stiff suspension:scared:, all it would take was one tire on the rumble strip and everything would become a shuddering juddering trip on a motorized pogo stick on overdrive.

Yeah but come on. You know theres a whole lot of profesionals here that know what they are talking about. Theyve raced every car that will be available in GT5 in real life also so they know exactly how the cars should handle.

I think we need someone who knows the physics of GT5P and the GT academy demo very deeply. Then if they played the gt5 demo at E3. Then they could tell us what the physics were like.....

I just think the GT academy demo physics were a very good step in the right direction!!!

It gave so much more feedback to the driver during cornering (especially in the road car on N3's) and just felt more like a real car.

Who agrees with me???!!!

I think we need someone who knows the physics of GT5P and the GT academy demo very deeply. Then if they played the gt5 demo at E3. Then they could tell us what the physics were like.....

I just think the GT academy demo physics were a very good step in the right direction!!!

It gave so much more feedback to the driver during cornering (especially in the road car on N3's) and just felt more like a real car.

Who agrees with me???!!!
I think people just need to stop guessing now and wait for the game. Whatever you find out changes nothing about what you ACTUALLY know about the physics based on past games/demos, and it could still all change between now and launch. You only make it harder for yourself now by hanging around these forums because news isn't going to be flowing for quite a while.

Who agrees with me???!!!

👍 I remember driving In the TT demo with my G27 and telling my bro this feels like im driving a real car :lol: the physics felt way better than GT5P.

Prologue's physics are a march closer to what you get in an average PC sim. While some disagree, I find them to be reminiscent to the feel of GTR and Live For Speed, and possibly rFactor. The Time Trial demo was very close.

Also the N3 tires felt better in the TT demo vs GT5P.

I agree the TT demo physics seemed better, because there was lateral movement of the back end if you apply too much power. Which we know is realistic, as opposed to Prologue where the limit was so fine that if you spun the wheels even slightly, you were now facing the over way :lol:

As for N3 tires, I wouldn't know :indiff: Stupid forced traction control with the pad.

In the GT video I see the outside corner almost touching the ground on almost every turn and even after coming out of a turn the car seems to be rocking back and forth while the driver regains control.

In the real video even on the hardest turns the clearance from the outside bumper corner to the ground looks about the same as the inside showing little or no roll.

You might want to look again. On the very first corner you can see the tarmac to bumper distance on the outside almost double from the inside. When you only have 3-4"" of ground clearance, that's quite a bit.
Not saying GT5P is realistic or any of that. Just saying it's noticeable on the real car as well.

How many voices do you have in your head then?

Two, seen as you ask :sly:

I was trying to put forward the fact that it is a consensus that drifting/holding a slide in the TT demo was more difficult than it should be.

I didn't say 'I' because I have no drifting experience, ingame or in real life, because I don't care for it much. My word holds no weight in that argument, so i'm going off what I have heard over the ~6 months or so since the TT demo was released. The consensus in the argument was that the stock car was harder to drift than it is in real life.

I don't find the real stock 370 that easy to drift, then I'm not a drifter. My drift buddies find almost all game cars harder to drift than real cars, but that's understandable. So the only person who would be able to tell which is harder is someone with no real drifting experience in real life or in game. Even then the added g-forces in the real car would make it more difficult.

Prologue's physics are a march closer to what you get in an average PC sim. While some disagree, I find them to be reminiscent to the feel of GTR and Live For Speed, and possibly rFactor. The Time Trial demo was very close.

Wow! this would be great.

I really enjoy GTR and LFS. I am no expert in physics but I feel very comfortable with the car handling and racing in these two games!

As far as I can remember it was like that for control pad owners only. If you had a wheel it was possible to disable that aid. I could be wrong though.

Yea i had a wheel. Damn i don't remember i thought i couldn't touch the stock Z settings but i could adjust the tunned Z settings hmm.

Back