Renown Tuning ™

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing, or one track I had a significant (some would say unfair) advantage at was London River

Ha ha, so true, -running London River with your tunes, trying to match your times was fun and quite a challenge.

Ahhh, London River at full speed in the LP540, good times.

Having quite a lot of fun with GT5 at the moment. Mostly just driving for pleasure with my favourite cars in arcade or practice mode, sometimes generating a new random track and seeng what comes up.

No XP's no CR's but full of fun...

The release window gets closer as every day passes, and as usual I'm going to make a note of saying I don't drift (unless it's required to advance in the game), and I surely don't know how to work out drift tunes. If this is your forte and you're interested, sign up to become an RT Drift Mechanic. There's no limit to the amount of people who can volunteer and you'll by no means be bound to just providing drift tunes.

If anyone has an interest... say so. :)

Eagerly awaiting the return of RT. I was going to sell Shift and then I found your garage. Made the game fun again and helped me figure out how to tune for myself. 👍

Eagerly awaiting the return of RT. I was going to sell Shift and then I found your garage. Made the game fun again and helped me figure out how to tune for myself. 👍

Glad to hear that. 👍

I will join the WTC this time round. Have to beat that NITROVIOUS guy :nervous:

Bring on WTC! Best chance to get Nitrovious is to get him early in the WTC! He's not 100% in sync with his new wheel yet :sly: I've also went to the dark side and pre ordered Shift 2 with a G27 wheel, unfortunately the wheel is on back order:guilty:

Bring on WTC! Best chance to get Nitrovious is to get him early in the WTC! He's not 100% in sync with his new wheel yet :sly: I've also went to the dark side and pre ordered Shift 2 with a G27 wheel, unfortunately the wheel is on back order:guilty:

l have spent the last year getting beaten up playing F1 2010 and now more beatings in GT5. Makes me wonder if l have truly lost it lol . l'm really looking forward to getting behind the wheel of a good Need For Speed title again .
To quote Charlie Sheen : " IT'S ON "

I cant wait also. Didn't play first one so I'm very exited about second Shift. I totally love arcade Style of first Shift Demo. I'm hoping to get exactly same arcade feel in Shift 2 👍

Ricky!

Where've you been hiding?

I've been waiting for a racing game to excite me again. I really tried to fall in love with GT5 but really never found the excitement that some of my fellow racers did. Maybe I'm a minority but I got a lot more satisfaction racing my Zonda around Spa & Silverstone than I ever did on "The Real Driving Simulator".

That said I'm all in for Shift 2. Can't wait for WTC and any racing league with the old gang. Just recently I bought a G27 wheel and I'll be ordering a Playseat within the next week. My only fear is the learning curve that comes with the wheel :nervous:

Same here, Ricky. Hotlapping the 'Ring by myself isn't NEAR the fun I had on Shift. Looking forward to seeing you on the track, soon...

I've been waiting for a racing game to excite me again. I really tried to fall in love with GT5 but really never found the excitement that some of my fellow racers did. Maybe I'm a minority but I got a lot more satisfaction racing my Zonda around Spa & Silverstone than I ever did on "The Real Driving Simulator".

That said I'm all in for Shift 2. Can't wait for WTC and any racing league with the old gang. Just recently I bought a G27 wheel and I'll be ordering a Playseat within the next week. My only fear is the learning curve that comes with the wheel :nervous:

I felt the same way when I got my wheel. Give it a week and you're going to wonder why you ever played a racing game with a pad at all. Furthermore, I can almost guarantee you will be faster with the wheel as your ability to drive smoother and hold lines at less than full lock will increase. Good luck.

I felt the same way when I got my wheel. Give it a week and you're going to wonder why you ever played a racing game with a pad at all. Furthermore, I can almost guarantee you will be faster with the wheel as your ability to drive smoother and hold lines at less than full lock will increase. Good luck.

And the G27 is a superb wheel to learn with. Did not regret buying it at all.

It seems like I might be the exception to being faster with the wheel. After about 100 laps since getting the wheel I find myself about 2 seconds per lap slower with the wheel on my two favorite tracks (Silverstone GP & Autopolis)

On tracks like Brands Hatch & Glendale I'm very close to my pad time but the tracks I consider "Drivers tracks" I'm about two seconds per lap slower which will absolutely get me smoked in the WTC and racing with my online friends. I really hope that changes as I become more familiar with the wheel, I'm definitely having more fun with the wheel but look at the time difference on the three tracks...
SPA Pad 204.8 Wheel 207.3

Silverstone GP Pad 136.4 Wheel 138.1

Autopolis Pad 134.7 Wheel 136.9

Sorry to hijack your thread T but I figured we had a brief intermission till Shift 2 comes out and I'm absolutely stressing with my lap times

Last edited:
You're using a G27, right?

How do you run into the corners? Are you clipping the apex, not close enough, too close? Are you finding yourself turning the wheel too much? Mess around with the deadzones; adjust it to the point where the only thing you're compensating for is the fact it isn't a real car.

I wish I still had my G25 but the DFGT will have to do for the time being.

I hate to say this, but Shift 1 probably isn't the best game to train yourself in wheel usage. I remember spending a long time tinkering with the control settings before I was happy with how the wheel felt. If you haven't had a wheel before you may be fighting the wheel more than you need without knowing it.

When I got mine for the first time, I went back and recompleted the GT5P "career". Having objectives to complete really helps, and it's good if it's something relatively easy so you can keep yourself motivated. If I recall though, I wasn't faster with a wheel for at least a month, and I wasn't very fast with a pad to begin with. It does take serious amounts of time to adapt. It's not just a matter of hammering around the same track over and over again, your whole style needs time to shift to the new control input.

You will be faster eventually, but I doubt most of us were faster after just a single week with the wheel. Persevere. Focus on how fun it is rather than your lap times, and eventually the times will drop and eventually surpass what you used to do with a pad.

Hmm... not sure about that. I think it depends on people.

I know guys who are faster than I am on a pad (not that difficult anyway) but i just can't get the hang of playing racing games without a wheel.

Even the old Out Run was better with a wheel.

Hmm... not sure about that. I think it depends on people.

I know guys who are faster than I am on a pad (not that difficult anyway) but i just can't get the hang of playing racing games without a wheel.

Even the old Out Run was better with a wheel.

It's not that you can't be fast with a pad. Some people are staggeringly fast with a pad. Usually though, they're fast because they're great drivers, not because they're using a pad.

It's just a precision thing. If you're quick with a pad, then you obviously know how to drive well. It's simply a matter of mating that driving knowledge with the appropriate physical skills. Just as it takes time to learn how to use a pad with dexterity, it takes time with a wheel. Most of us have thousands of hours of experience with pads, so we're naturally very accurate with our movements when using one. It takes time for a wheel to catch up to that.

I've played Shift 1 for last two months, learning my way around and Wheel is way much faster then pad so i thing in Shift 2 it would be the same deal there. But it's just my opinion.

I am not that worried about whether I am faster or slower with a wheel. Bottom line, for me at least, is that with a pad I NEVER forget I am playing a game. With a wheel, from time to time, I think I'm DRIVING... :)

It seems like I might be the exception to being faster with the wheel. After about 100 laps since getting the wheel I find myself about 2 seconds per lap slower with the wheel on my two favorite tracks (Silverstone GP & Autopolis)[/SIZE]

Shift 1's default wheel set-up leaves a lot to be desired. I spent like 2-3 days trying out settings I found on message boards and then tweaked them for another couple days to get something I liked. It frequently came down to pushing a setting to one end or the middle and working in 5 percent changes, do 5-10 laps on a track with a few different cars, and repeat. From what we've seen so far, S2's physics won't be buggy like the first one so getting your settings locked in won't be so harsh.

Two more days!

I'm contemplating opening a new thread, because making a new OP for Unleashed is likely to confuse everybody. Thoughts?

This thread finally gets the permanent lockdown after, what, two years?

The new thread will be up as soon as I'm done writing it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back