RIP Cartoon Network

• Thread starter Earth
  • 52 comments
Wasn't Tom that guy in the metal robot suit, with a talking computer? He sat in some chair with some touch keyboard and a projected screen in front of him? I loved that guy, and Toonmi was never the same when he got axed. The only reason I still watched it was because of Naruto.

That's the one.

924494-r_i_p_toonami_by_ssgotenks650_super.jpg

Hm. GTP is being racist and won't let me see the page. :lol:

O sorry, it's for premium users.

Last edited:
Cartoon Network has been failing ever since they killed off Toonami...

Actually, that is a solid point. Almost too solid, now that I reflect upon it. I blame that program for many of my nerd addictions now. Too bad [Adult Swim] only does the anime block on Saturdays, I'd love to have daily editions of Tenchi Muyo, Big O, Outlaw Star and such back on the air again.

RE: Tex Avery

I loved those cartoons as a kid, my Grandparents gave me video recordings of them that I watched constantly until they popped up on Cartoon Network.

I think an argument could be made that the day the music died could also be marked by the loss of the Loony Tunes franchise. I miss being able to watch Buggs Bunny every day.

-> CN is dead to me when Toonami was cut off (I miss Peter Cullen & Steven Blum's voice) and Adult Swim still doesn't cut it when it becomes to the Anime content.

-> I hope someone who can come up a 100% dedicated Anime Station with no barriers (from FUNimation, ADV, VIZ, Bandai, etc.) like Animax. :indiff:

Last edited:
Speaking of Tex Avery, I was looking for cartoons from my childhood and I saw this a couple days back. Just remembered it would be well placed here:

First saw it on Rolf Harris' Cartoon Time in the 80s, but CN let me re-live Tex Avery.

I grew up watching Cartoon Network, well, don't all kids do? At a point, it as all that I watched, but then, They cut Toonami down to size, Out Of Jimmy's Head, Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, Too much Ben 10(although Ben 10 was a decent show), Squirrel Boy, an many, MANY more. When they axed Ed,Edd, and Eddy, that did it, I grew up watching that show every day of my life when I was like 3. After it go too boring, I moved over to the Nickolodeon side permanently, with their good shows, like Spongebob, Avatar, Danny Phantom etc. and the sitcoms were the best part, Drake and Josh was my favourite show at the time when it still had new episodes. Up to this day, Nick is still number 1 in my books, they still have good cartoons and good sitcoms. The sitcoms on Nick tower over that of Disney on the comedy level and the cartoons tower over Cartoon Network, which I don't watch anymore. I might watch whatever bit of Tom and Jerry(not Tales) I see, but nothing else.
Nick? Nick is JUST as bad!

When I grew up watching Nick, I was watching these:
  • The Wild Thornberrys
  • The Angry Beavers
  • CatDog
  • Hey Arnold
  • Rocket Power
  • Ren & Stimpy
  • Rocko's Modern Life
  • All That

I think the only shows still going that were on when I stopped watching were Invader Zim & Rugrats. Same with Disney Channel when I was younger, before it was "The Latest Teen Star" channel.

Rocko's Modern Life had one catchy theme song! 👍

My friends and I have even been over this, and we agree that as of recently, cartoons have gone from cool down to happy little shows about sharing, caring and always talking things out. And the "evil" characters? They get foiled sooooo easily. And good always wins. It's just wron g

I used to watch Cartoon Network all the time when I was a younger kid, and loved it. Most of my favourite shows I find they don't even show anymore, like Ed, Edd & Eddy. The current shows are really boring in my opinion, and don't have the same enjoyment as these old shows. Really disappointed to see Cartoon Network end up like this and in fact I rarely watch it anymore.

I used to watch Cartoon Network all the time when I was a younger kid, and loved it. Most of my favourite shows I find they don't even show anymore, like Ed, Edd & Eddy. The current shows are really boring in my opinion, and don't have the same enjoyment as these old shows. Really disappointed to see Cartoon Network end up like this and in fact I rarely watch it anymore.
If it makes you feel any better, Ed, Edd and Eddy is on 9's new digital channel, Go!

If it makes you feel any better, Ed, Edd and Eddy is on 9's new digital channel, Go!

Is it? That wouldn't really matter to me anyway, since it only appears to be the new episodes that are shown, and I prefer the older episodes a lot better. Also depends on what time it's played as well.

Bring back, Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Laboratory, and all those 90's cartoons and beyond.

Bring back, Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Laboratory, and all those 90's cartoons and beyond.

Yep, agreed. Johnny Bravo and Dexter were another two of my favourite CN shows. Would be happy to see them return.

There used to be so many funny cartoon shows on like the above two and now I find there is not as much comedy in the newer shows as there was the older ones.

Welp, I just watched Ed Edd n Eddy Big Picture Movie. The final episode/movie. And let me tell you, that was a great movie. Great ending to an amazing show.

They died for me once they were done with Johnny Bravo, Ed Edd and Eddy, Powerpuff Girls, Cow and Chicken and I am Weasel.
They didn't necessarily die for me, but they changed significantly when they began airing World Premiere Toons in the mid-90s. I was never a fan of Powerpuff Girls, Two Stupid Dogs, Angry Beavers, Courage the Cowardly Dog, etc, etc, etc. I Am Weasel and Ed, Edd, and Eddy can be thrown in there too, because they were made in the same style as most World Premiere Toons shorts.

Dexter and Johnny Bravo are awesome though. There's probably many more that I can't remember, but for me the world of cartoons changed for the worse when World Premiere Toons started airing. Luckily I caught Bugs, Daffy, Elmer, Roadrunner, Yosemite, Tom, Jerry, Tweety, Scooby, Foghorn, and so many other old cartoons that are genuinely good. World Premiere Toons was the death of cartoons. Nowadays they're all weird trash that require the viewer to be on LSD. Dare I say the best cartoons on TV now are South Park and Family Guy? Hardly material that little kids would ever understand.

At least Boomerang still does it right for the most part.

EDIT: I see Solid Lifters mentioned Tex Avery's work, which is all great. I remember many of them. There are a few notable cartoon makers that I can't remember anymore, that made so many of the greatest cartoons ever.

you guys haven't put two and two together, have you.

there are three reasons why toons have died

1. Political correctness. most of the shorts that those of us over thirty grew up with date from WW2 and up. they were busy taking racial, ethical, etc. potshots. that's a moral no-no nowadays.
2. MONEY and the fact that everyone's being a copyright whore FOR money
3. The Internet. people don't watch much TV anymore.

The new cartoons now a days, just suck! Not funny, not talented, just things that don't need to be in it. Just if they "actually" have something good, "GOOD" to show, then it better be like the classics!

Back