RKM Motorsport - Tuned Tuners - May '13

Hey, I just got my spyker back & tried it on the 'ring, and I must say you've worked wonders with it!:D cheers 10/10 đź‘Ť

Interestingly, all that sounds exactly the opposite of the way Roj drives. I have to blame the tires for a large part of the understeer; on sports tires it had a bit of a tendency to go slideways on exit despite the "low" output; Fixing this meant a setup that doesn't play well with extra grip.

Fair enough. I want to give an honest review, so I went back, swapped some tires around and here we go again...

First off, I'd like to admit that tires, drastically change the way a car handles. Now I know this seems like a no brainer to the more tune savvy people around, but I was always in the state of mind, that stickier tires are always better, no exceptions. More traction never crossed my mind, as negatively effecting a cars maneuverability... And yet, I was dead wrong.

So... I tried the Sport-Soft tires as the tune recommended, and... I went for a lot of loopty loops. Remembering that Roj's set up was designed around less HP, I assumed more power demands more traction. So, I went back, and bought another set of rubber. This time Racing-Medium. Went back to Suzuka Circuit and all the sudden the car handles pretty damn well.
All evidence of understeer had completely been removed, and now the car sailed through the corners quite nicely, and was actually a bit on the loose side for me. I ran 5 laps of warm up, and then the 10 lap race, with my best lap being a 2:06 something. Oddly enough this was 3 seconds slower than my previous best from the understeering nightmare I initially reviewed, and I spun a few times too many, losing the race again.

So I made a very minimal adjustment to the tune, and did a cheap way of tightening the car, simply by raising the rear ride height. I don't know why it works, but it seems pretty consistent, the more rake the car has, the tighter it becomes for me, and visa versa. So, I upped the rear ride height by 2, giving me a new total of -20 / -18 and the car was much more comfortable for me, and helped me run a 2:04 on what I felt was a well ran lap (for me). And I still lost the race, leaving me with 1 question. Do I prefer a car I hate, that runs fast... or a car I like that runs slow. As I assume the answer is the same for any racer who wants to win, I put back on the Racing - Soft tires and made another cheap adjustment to loosen the car back up, went out and cut a 2:01.

Unfortunately, I run faster laps with the sticky tires, but the point is, the tune fits the car great when used as originally intended. I wanted to personally apologize for complaining about it before hand, when the fault was my own, for using tires & power levels that the tune was not designed around; It won't happen again. I'll be keeping Roj's tune on the car, and fine tuning the loose/tight to suit the sticky tires, but the overall balance and grip of the set up is great.

Thanks to Roj for the tune, rotary junkie for pointing out my mistake, as well as finding the true issue at hand. And thanks again to RKM.

This is the first of my two reviews for you guys :)
Sorry for the bad english grammer, also it's my first review ever ;)

Review: "WĂĽtend Deutsch"

This car caught my attention first of all because of the name.
That grammer is just bad, but since your not german, you're forgiven.
But also this car seemed to be the perfect symbiosis between weight and power, a privilige which the stock BMW M5 does not have, so I gave it a try.

But somehow, even before I driven this car over the Nordschleife; I came up with the question: "Is Power everything?"
I'm sure a lot of people would say: "Sure!", but is it really? Isn't it more important to go around a track not as fast as possible, but as controlable as possible? For me it is, and that is the main reason, why I'm not getting warm with this car.

While setting this car up for the track, I noticed that the Setup seems kinda weird, almost abstract. And that is also the way this car drives.
You'll never know what happens before, in or after the corner; and by that I don't mean the track, 'cause it's the car!

Sure this car delivers a huge amount of power and speed, and this will probably be enough to kick the other cars into off site.
But, again, I come up with a quote: "When a car handles well on the Nordschleife, It handles well everywhere!"... Problem is - this car does not handle well on the Nordschleife, it understeers quite heavy in some turns (Metzgesfeld, BrĂĽnnchen) and sometimes it handles quite good, for an overpowered Sportsedan.

But as you will notice the word "overpowered" in my last sentence, I'll bring up the very first question - Is Power Everything?
And after driving this car for 10 Rounds over the Nordschleife, I can say in that case: No!

I quite sure, that the car would handle a lot better with less power. Maybe the Titanium Exhaust + Racing Airfilter + Engine Tuning Stage 1 would've been enough.

Results:

Power + Speed: 4/5
Handling: 2,5/5
Overall Feeling: 3/5

Overall Score: 9,5/15

RE LFA: More grip = faster laps regardless. There's no avoiding it.

RE M5: I built it secure in the knowledge that it could handle full power on street tires quite well. The setup is odd-looking but everything was done for a reason. It may be easier to drive with less power (I admit it does require a good bit of restraint with the loud pedal) but surely not faster. One thing that must be kept in mind is that it is a very large sedan at the end of the day and this does have adverse effects in slower corners.

RKM MotorsportÂ’s Midnight Z

MidnightZ.jpg

MidnightZ_Big.jpg

Based on: Nissan Fairlady Z (Z34) ‘08
Obtained: Brand new from Nissan

Drivetrain: FR
Horsepower: 503 BHP (@ 37.0 miles)
Torque:---- 55 kgfm
Weight:---- 1239 kg

PARTS
GT Auto

Rays Volk Racing CE28N Wheels
Type A Front Aero

Tuning Shop
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Improvement
Window Weight Reduction
Carbon Bonnet (Body Colour)
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Supercharger
Fully Customisable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Fully Customisable LSD
Fully Customisable Suspension Kit
Sports Soft Tyres

SETUP

Body/Chassis
Aerodynamics

Downforce: 0/20

Transmission
Transmission

(The following ratios are not final and will be re-adjusted once GT5 lets me. For now just set the max speed.)
1st:-- 3.654
2nd:-- 2.447
3rd:-- 1.781
4th:-- 1.360
5th:-- 1.089
6th:-- 0.915
Final: 3.692
Max Speed: 199 MPH

Drivetrain
Differential

Initial: 0/17
Accel:-- 0/37
Braking: 0/9

Suspension
Suspension

Ride Height: -25/-25
Spring Rate: 13.5/9.5
Extension:-- 7/6
Compression: 6/5
Anti-Roll:-- 5/4
Camber:----- 1.8/2.0
Toe:-------- –0.25/-0.05

Brakes
Brake Balance Controller

Brake Balance: 5/6

Intended Driving Options
Transmission: Manual (MT)
ABS: 1
Everything else: OFF

Tuner Comments:
Some say it’s possessed by a certain old Z and that all you can hear from it at night is the “whiiiiiiiii” sound from it’s supercharger, but all we know, is that it’s called the Midnight Z.

Would this work on a 370Z?

Hi RJ, Roj,

Just want to say thank you for your tunes, having been using some of your tunes and love them. Look forward to more great tunes from RKM.

Happy Holidays!

Cheers.
bzbinz

RKM MotorsportÂ’s NISMO 300ZX R-Tune

NISMO300ZXR-Tune.jpg

NISMO300ZXR-Tune_Big.jpg

Based on: 1989 Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX TT Two-seater
Obtained: New Car Dealer

Drivetrain: FR
Horsepower: 544 BHP (@ 76.1 miles)
Torque:---- 551 ft-lb
Weight:---- 1223 kg

PARTS
GT Auto

Motegi Racing TOUGE wheels
Front Aero Type B
Rear Aero Type A
Rear Wing Type A

Tuning Shop
Stage 3 Weight Reduction
Rigidity Improvement
Lightweight Windows
Carbon Fiber Hood (Body Color)
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Sports Header
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Mid-RPM Range Turbo Kit
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
FC LSD
FC Suspension
Sports Soft Tyres

SETUP

Body/Chassis
Aerodynamics

Downforce: 0/18

Transmission
Transmission

1st:-- x.xxx
2nd:-- x.xxx
3rd:-- x.xxx
4th:-- x.xxx
5th:-- x.xxx
6th:-- x.xxx
Final: x.xxx
Max Speed: xxx

Drivetrain
Differential

Initial: x/20
Accel:-- x/27
Braking: x/23

Suspension
Suspension

Ride Height: -25/-15
Spring Rate: 9.8/4.3
Extension:-- 9/5
Compression: 7/3
Anti-Roll:-- 5/2
Camber:----- 1.3/3.5
Toe:-------- 0.0/-0.05

Brakes
Brake Balance Controller

Brake Balance: 5/8

Intended Driving Options

Tuner Comments:
The 300ZX was praised for basically everything it did... But it wasn't as fast as it could've been, was fatter than it should've been, and so on. NISMO sent us one to do our magic on and the results are very good; the VG30DETT has been tuned for a very strong torque output and the rotating assembly and valvetrain has been reworked to withstand high-RPM use, and the suspension has been tuned to cope exceedingly well. Subtract a few hundred pounds and you've got quite the monster that is still perfectly street legal and comfortable enough to use daily.
ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW,YOU GUYS ARE THE BOMB!!!!!đź’ˇ

ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW,YOU GUYS ARE THE BOMB!!!!!đź’ˇ

SO FAR I HAVE ONLY TRIED THE TUNES THAT YOU GUYS HAVE,AND I MUST SAY I LIKE THEM SO FAR,SO KEEP THEM COMING!!đź‘Ť

There will be more released when Roj returns from vacation. So far it's looking like an R33 from me (although it requires a rather specific base car, AWD system on the prem R33 is miles behind the LM Limited which is a fairly rare standard) and a few others.

Scratch what I said before. This tune is amazing on Nurburgring. Slight blip in the tranny and it's perfect. Thanks for this.

Eh, I noticed what you had been saying about understeer and a lack of stability at high speeds. Sadly, to fix one you increase the other for the most part when it comes to FWDs.

You got the BBS RS for the RS6 from the GT auto? they have that option?

Yep. Then I threw black paint on them.

Good sirs, I challenge you to a duel! I've got a car in the works with 390hp and similar weight to your RX-8, I would very much so like to race you.:mischievous:
simpson_glove_slap.jpg

Last edited:
Love all of your tunes
the RX-7 helped me a lot on the seasonal challenge,
the M5 is really fun to drive,
the black beauty handles nice
and the RS6 was way better (for me) than another tune I tried.

Sorry this isn't much of review, but keep up the good work, both of you đź‘Ť:sly:

Good sirs, I challenge you to a duel! I've got a car in the works with 390hp and similar weight to your RX-8, I would very much so like to race you.:mischievous:
simpson_glove_slap.jpg

Problem one: You're an alien.

Problem two: The RX-8 isn't as quick as, say, the RX-7.

Problem three: I go from slow to slower the instant I touch online.

@Radic: Thanks mate.

Problem one: You're an alien.

Problem two: The RX-8 isn't as quick as, say, the RX-7.

Problem three: I go from slow to slower the instant I touch online.

@Radic: Thanks mate.

It's not an RX-7, it's not even Japanese. You wait until the GTP Registry qualifier, then you'll see I have no green blood in me (all red, definitely no blue either). Come on what's a little race?:sly: You just have to be aware of any extra oversteer that will come with cold/worn tyres and/or altered physics.

It's not an RX-7, it's not even Japanese. You wait until the GTP Registry qualifier, then you'll see I have no green blood in me (all red, definitely no blue either). Come on what's a little race?:sly: You just have to be aware of any extra oversteer that will come with cold/worn tyres and/or altered physics.

Fine then :P

Either within the next 20 minutes or so or it'll have to be tomorrow though.

I have to say this tune is NASTY!!!

I modified my R34 with everything but it handled like crap and on some races could only manage 2nd place. I found this tune earlier today and have to say the car handles PERFECT!!! I can't believe how much of a difference this tune made to the car.

After the tune I went from getting second to getting first... not only did I get first but I got it by 10+ sec!!! I gotta say this thing is a blast to drive and is very easy to control thanks to this tune, also this tune is very good for almost any race, man I love this car lol...

BIG UPS TO THE RKM TEAM!!!

RKM MotorsportÂ’s R34 Black Edition

R34BlackEdition.jpg

R34BlackEdition_Big.jpg

Based on: Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec II Nür (R34) ‘02
Obtained: Brand new from Nissan

Drivetrain: 4WD
Horsepower: 457 BHP (@ 77.8 miles)
Torque:---- 58 kgfm
Weight:---- 1264 kg

PARTS
GT Auto

BBS RE-MG Wheels
Type B Front Aero
Type A Extension Aero
Type A Wing

Tuning Shop
Rigidity Improvement
Window Weight Reduction
Engine Tuning Stage 2
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Sports Soft Tyres

SETUP

Body/Chassis
Aerodynamics

Downforce: 0/25

Transmission
Transmission

(The following ratios are not final and will be re-adjusted once GT5 lets me. For now just set the max speed.)
1st:-- 4.035
2nd:-- 2.702
3rd:-- 1.966
4th:-- 1.501
5th:-- 1.202
6th:-- 1.010
Final: 3.545
Max Speed: 199 MPH

Suspension
Suspension

Spring Rate: 12.0/6.5
Extension:-- 8/9
Compression: 6/6
Anti-Roll:-- 1/2
Camber:----- 2.3/1.7
Toe:-------- –0.20/0.00

Brakes
Brake Balance Controller

Intended Driving Options

Tuner Comments:
The “must-have” car since Gran Turismo 2. The R34 Skyline has always been known for it’s supercar slaying reputation. So enter the Black Edition, the daily slayer of supercars. Power was boosted to 457bhp and weight was brought down to 1264kg, with suspension tuned to give the Black Edition the stability of a house. This R34 is so stable, you’d have to try and crash it on purpose in order to unsettle it. With this stable high speed package, the Black Edition makes mince meat of everything in front of it.

10th Dec 2010 - New rear toe settings.

RKM MotorsportÂ’s Civic VTi-R

CivicVTiR.jpg

CivicVTiR_Big.jpg

Based on: Honda Civic Type R (EK) ‘97
Obtained: Brand new model at Honda or win the B-Spec FF Cup

Drivetrain: FF
Horsepower: 282 BHP (@ 169.9 miles
Torque:---- 23 kgfm
Weight:---- 888 kg

PARTS
GT Auto

Oil Change
BBS LM-R Wheels
Type A Front Aero

Tuning Shop
Rigidity Improvement
Window Weight Reduction
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Fully Customisable LSD
Sports Soft Tyres

SETUP

Transmission
Transmission

1st:-- 3.294
2nd:-- 2.246
3rd:-- 1.652
4th:-- 1.273
5th:-- 1.028
6th:-- 0.870
Final: 4.400
Max Speed: 180 MPH

Drivetrain
Differential

Initial: 15/0
Accel:-- 35/0
Braking: 5/0

Suspension
Suspension

Ride Height: -20/-20
Spring Rate: 9.0/3.0
Extension:-- 8/6
Compression: 6/4
Anti-Roll:-- 3/4
Camber:----- 1.5/1.0
Toe:-------- –0.20/-0.25

Brakes
Brake Balance Controller

Intended Driving Options

Tuner Comments:
For those who didnÂ’t want to start GT5 with the MX-5, there was the EK9 Civic. This Civic Type R has received the magic touch and now storms the tracks with an N/A 282bhp VTEC scream box. As it was my first car in GT5, I gave it the VTi-R nickname. ItÂ’s easily capable of keeping up and beating up its RWD and 4WD competitors. DonÂ’t underestimate the FF platform.

Fun Fact: This setup works on the Honda Mugen Motul Civic Si Race Car '87.

Funny that, I've been using my civic since I won it in bspec FF. since level 1, I'm now level 31 & I've just noticed this thread, funny thing is, I've use the exact same tune for weeks & never knew someone else had found the secret 'G Spot' to this car ;-) same tune, no way. Great tune xD keep it up man !

The civic tune has rear toe out - should make the rear end twitchy, but you are using very light springs - should make the rear more grippy. Wouldn't these be at odds with one another?

RKM MotorsportÂ’s NSX-R 3rd Anniversary

Based on: Honda NSX Type R ‘02
Obtained: Brand new model at Honda

Drivetrain: MR
Horsepower: 393 BHP (@ 639.3 miles)
Torque:---- 40 kgfm
Weight:---- 1051 kg

PARTS
GT Auto

Advan RGII Wheels
Type A Front Aero
Type A Wing

Tuning Shop
Rigidity Improvement
Window Weight Reduction
Engine Tuning Stage 1
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Fully Customisable LSD
Sports Soft Tyres

SETUP

Body/Chassis
Aerodynamics

Downforce: 00/20

Transmission
Transmission

1st:-- 3.268
2nd:-- 2.136
3rd:-- 1.533
4th:-- 1.155
5th:-- 0.915
6th:-- 0.762
Final: 4.235
Max Speed: 224 MPH

Drivetrain
Differential

Initial: 0/25
Accel:-- 0/40
Braking: 0/30

Suspension
Suspension

Spring Rate: 8.5/11.5
Extension:-- 7/6
Compression: 6/5
Anti-Roll:-- 5/4
Camber:----- 1.0/2.0
Toe:-------- –0.25/-0.05

Brakes
Brake Balance Controller

Intended Driving Options

Tuner Comments:
Guess whoÂ’s back with a complete makeover for GT5? Oh yes. ItÂ’s the RVV NSX-R Evo.II all rebuilt for this generation. The main difference youÂ’ll notice is the new aero, new wheels and the titanium pipes out back. Under the bonnet, youÂ’ll notice a fresh new C32B engine with a reliable 393bhp. Weight has been reduced to 1051kg, making this old favourite even faster than before. Oh yeah, itÂ’s still just as agile, if not more so.

This 3rd Anniversary model marks the 3rd year of this NSXÂ’s life.

This car jetfighter just flies throught the track! It's so nimble, fast and fun that everyone should try it. I guarantee you will fall in love. Just like I did. I drove this car on the Nurburgring and I've to admit it was my first clean lap :embarrassed: I did it in 7:24:361 It's pretty amazing for me (I'm using G27 for 2 weeks now) I have tried the RX7 also and I had something about 7:29:xxx. Thats a huge difference, isn't it?

NSX-R is simply your best tune. I could feel every bump on the road, it's power is just perfect. You can exit corners with full throttle and not worry about sliding, tho if somehow you would make this car to slide its really simple to recover it from this weird stance :) Thank you Roj for this amazing tune, it is worth every penny! I'm starting all over again, becouse of corrupted save file and I spent my last credit points to get this beast! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Last edited:
Back