RKM Motorsport - Tuned Tuners - May '13

Hello me again. Finally had time to check out some of the tunes you guys posted.

Integra DC5 Type R

Upon entering the course I had to double check my settings to make sure I put it all in correctly. This car to me, felt like it had way too much understeer. The car in general just feels reluctant to turn in.
If I wasn't extremely careful with my throttle inputs the front tires would almost always turn red on me during cornering.

Now I will add that I was able to beat my S2000 times with this car, so even with the understeering, it's a very quick car. But it just doesn't feel great to drive. I had to brake early for a lot of turns just to keep the tires cool. Definitely not a car I'd run for endurance races.

Maybe there's a typo on the settings somewhere?

Lotus Elise 111R

Wow this car is edgy. The car's rear end is extremely lively. Very fun car to drive IMO.
I did notice though that under braking the rear end really likes to spin out. Once you step back on the gas however it usually get's back under control, that or you get a really nice looking drift. The car responds extremely well to braking with partial throttle as it helped to keep the rear end in line.

Also I think the transmission could be lowered one or two clicks. It seemed to struggle to reach red line on 5th and once I shifted to 6th it crawled up the revs pretty slowly.

All in all, it's definitely an exciting car to drive around a track. Don't think I'll be taking this one online though as I think the edginess of it will make it undrivable with the online grip conditions.

Lotus Elise 111R RM (thanks to the last seasonal event I happen to have a regular and RM 111R)

I did a lap around GVS, then exited to make sure that I had sport softs and not racing softs. I can't believe the amount of grip this car had. Downforce definitely helped a lot on this car, however what made me think I had racing tires on was the fact that my braking zones had become much shorter.

The car felt extremely stable no matter what I threw at it.
If I had any complaints, and this is really just being nitpicky, is that it would be nice to get a little more grip on the front during lift mid-corner.

I actually don't think I was able to push this car to it's limits.

Overall, I love this car. It's the car that I would probably use to learn tracks in the future. It lets me worry about the track and only the track because it gives me the confidence to know that the car will do what I want it to.

Between the 111R and the 111R-RM the standard one is definitely funner to drive but the RM version is by far the faster one.

All in all, great tunes you guys. Keep em comin :)

I'm glad you guys are going back and improving upon your previous tunes. I'm dying to try out your new RX-7 tune, it's my current weapon of choice in the 300-400hp Online races. It's so compliant and easy to drive, even more so than your NSX tune in my opinion. Hopefully you guys will re-look at the EvoX tune in the future. I tried really hard to like the car, but it just feels too twitchy/sensitive for my driving style :(

Hello me again. Finally had time to check out some of the tunes you guys posted.

Integra DC5 Type R

Upon entering the course I had to double check my settings to make sure I put it all in correctly. This car to me, felt like it had way too much understeer. The car in general just feels reluctant to turn in.
If I wasn't extremely careful with my throttle inputs the front tires would almost always turn red on me during cornering.

Now I will add that I was able to beat my S2000 times with this car, so even with the understeering, it's a very quick car. But it just doesn't feel great to drive. I had to brake early for a lot of turns just to keep the tires cool. Definitely not a car I'd run for endurance races.

Maybe there's a typo on the settings somewhere?
I will see if there is a typo in the settings because it doesnt understeer as much for me. Perhaps our FWD driving styles differ and the DC5 is more suited to mine? I will see anyway, and make revisions if needed. 👍

For me, the DC5 is just as fast as the R34 Black Edition around Trial Mountain, so perhaps it is just a driving style difference afterall.

Edit: Okay, I found the typo. It's very minor but it does have an effect on over/understeer.

Here's what was posted:

Toe:-------- –0.10/0.15

But it should be:

Toe:-------- –0.10/-0.15

Lotus Elise 111R

Wow this car is edgy. The car's rear end is extremely lively. Very fun car to drive IMO.
I did notice though that under braking the rear end really likes to spin out. Once you step back on the gas however it usually get's back under control, that or you get a really nice looking drift. The car responds extremely well to braking with partial throttle as it helped to keep the rear end in line.

Also I think the transmission could be lowered one or two clicks. It seemed to struggle to reach red line on 5th and once I shifted to 6th it crawled up the revs pretty slowly.

All in all, it's definitely an exciting car to drive around a track. Don't think I'll be taking this one online though as I think the edginess of it will make it undrivable with the online grip conditions.
It is quite lively when you want it to be, I didn't want to neuter it completely. Since it was already decided that RJ would make an RM version, it allowed me to make the normal 111R a bit more fun to drive. :D

I didn't take the Elise past 5th gear, but the gears felt nicely spaced out already. I will see if I can reduce it by a click or two to let 6th gear work properly.

Edit: Okay I took the Elise out for a speed run and although it is a bit sluggish in 6th, it will reach 9000rpm in 6th and do 170mph quite quickly. It does only have 250-odd bhp so maybe 170mph is a bit high. I personally don't mind it but it won't hurt to reduce it by 1 click. :)
Lotus Elise 111R RM (thanks to the last seasonal event I happen to have a regular and RM 111R)

I did a lap around GVS, then exited to make sure that I had sport softs and not racing softs. I can't believe the amount of grip this car had. Downforce definitely helped a lot on this car, however what made me think I had racing tires on was the fact that my braking zones had become much shorter.

The car felt extremely stable no matter what I threw at it.
If I had any complaints, and this is really just being nitpicky, is that it would be nice to get a little more grip on the front during lift mid-corner.

I actually don't think I was able to push this car to it's limits.

Overall, I love this car. It's the car that I would probably use to learn tracks in the future. It lets me worry about the track and only the track because it gives me the confidence to know that the car will do what I want it to.

Between the 111R and the 111R-RM the standard one is definitely funner to drive but the RM version is by far the faster one.

All in all, great tunes you guys. Keep em comin :)

That's the difference between the RM and non-RM. The downforce turns it into a whole new beast. :P

If you need another car tuning then feel free to drop a message or PM! 👍

Help me tune my carbon r (34) ...help................
There's currently no plans to do a Carbon R. If you give us a review (like the one posted above, hint ;)), then we'll happily tune your Carbon R in exchange. 👍

I'm glad you guys are going back and improving upon your previous tunes. I'm dying to try out your new RX-7 tune, it's my current weapon of choice in the 300-400hp Online races. It's so compliant and easy to drive, even more so than your NSX tune in my opinion. Hopefully you guys will re-look at the EvoX tune in the future. I tried really hard to like the car, but it just feels too twitchy/sensitive for my driving style :(
I believe the EvoX will be redone in the future but it's hard to tweak out the twitch because it's the AYC controller that does it, which is a core part of the Evo.

Last edited:
Hey guys.. I just joined Ive been looking at this forum for a while. I have a question about the RX7.. It would seem you have 2 tunes posted for this car. The first with the YELLOW pic of the rx7 looks like this..Suspension
Ride Height: 0/0
Spring Rate: 10.0/4.8
Extension:-- 9/5
Compression: 7/3
Anti-Roll:-- 1/7
Camber:----- 1.9/3.5
Toe:-------- 0.15/-0.30
The second tune has a pic of the RED RX7 and it looks like this..Suspension
Spring Rate: 7.8/8.3
Extension:-- 10/10
Compression: 7/7
Anti-Roll:-- 7/1
Camber:----- 3.2/2.4
Toe:-------- 0.15/-0.25

As you can see these are TOTALLY different. The roll bar on the first are 1/7 and the second tune listed are 7/1 ??? And the camber for the first is 1.9/3.5 and for the second 3.2/2.4??? Which tune is correct. The one for the RED car says updated 1/12/2011 so is that the correct one. As you can see these tunes are TOTALLY different so just wondering whats the correct one. Look forward to racing you guys online and thanks for the help.. Are the tunes on the front of the thread the most"up to date tunes" The name is Trevor agin thanks guys..

Yea our FWD driving styles can't be that different, I did love the CR-Z tune :)

I'll re test the car when I get the chance. I actually have quite a few of the RKM cars built to spec (RX-7, Gallardo, C6 Z06 RM, LFA, Golf RM and the Yaris), I just haven't had the chance to run em. Plus most of them seem to have plenty of reviews already anyways.
I'll probably check out the C30 after the new seasonal event (you guys psychic or something?)

And as for the Lotus transmission, yea it crawled up the RPMs, it just felt like I'd need a straight like Nurburgring or La Sarthe to get it up there :D

Yea our FWD driving styles can't be that different, I did love the CR-Z tune :)

I'll re test the car when I get the chance. I actually have quite a few of the RKM cars built to spec (RX-7, Gallardo, C6 Z06 RM, LFA, Golf RM and the Yaris), I just haven't had the chance to run em. Plus most of them seem to have plenty of reviews already anyways.
I'll probably check out the C30 after the new seasonal event (you guys psychic or something?)

And as for the Lotus transmission, yea it crawled up the RPMs, it just felt like I'd need a straight like Nurburgring or La Sarthe to get it up there :D

I was actually surprised when my gearing wound up shorter than Roj's. Default (on the RM at least) of 163mph was actually "perfect" in that the car wouldn't quite tap the limiter on flat ground with full power, but the car could still have more coaxed out of it with a taller 6th gear.

Also, since you (I assume) built the RX-7 to the previous specs, I'd be interested in seeing a comparison between them and the newly updated settings.

Also, since you (I assume) built the RX-7 to the previous specs, I'd be interested in seeing a comparison between them and the newly updated settings.

Unfortunately when you redid the tune, I changed the settings on the RX-7 as well.
The car hasn't been driven since I bought it for the seasonal event. I'll give the new a go sometime over the weekend though. 👍

Hey guys.. I just joined Ive been looking at this forum for a while. I have a question about the RX7.. It would seem you have 2 tunes posted for this car. The first with the YELLOW pic of the rx7 looks like this..Suspension

As you can see these are TOTALLY different. The roll bar on the first are 1/7 and the second tune listed are 7/1 ??? And the camber for the first is 1.9/3.5 and for the second 3.2/2.4??? Which tune is correct. The one for the RED car says updated 1/12/2011 so is that the correct one. As you can see these tunes are TOTALLY different so just wondering whats the correct one. Look forward to racing you guys online and thanks for the help.. Are the tunes on the front of the thread the most"up to date tunes" The name is Trevor agin thanks guys..
The tunes on the main post are the most up to date ones. Please use those instead of tunes that have been quoted throughout the thread, as they may not have the updated settings. 👍
Hello! :lol:

The two are the exact same parts setup and "tune", just different versions. and you shouldn't actually be able to see the yellow RX-7 setup post. The previous one was an older version; when I updated it, I had Roj make a new banner to reflect the change in paint on my personal car.

Interestingly, for two totally different approaches, the times run are actually very similar.

I'd have used that quote to test the two different settings then I noticed he didn't include the LSD settings (the new numbers are quite high).

Check out page 4 in this thread. Someone quoted the original tune with all the original settings. 👍

Last edited:
Thanks, Ill check it out when I have time. 👍

Quick question, if I want a car to rotate more by lifting off the throttle mid-corner would that be a suspension adjustment or a LSD-braking adjustment?
Or does it depend on the car?

Thanks, Ill check it out when I have time. 👍

Quick question, if I want a car to rotate more by lifting off the throttle mid-corner would that be a suspension adjustment or a LSD-braking adjustment?
Or does it depend on the car?

It'd be both, generally.

Softer front bound, stiffer rear rebound, softer rear springs, and a stiffer rear anti-roll bar can all enhance lift-off oversteer, as can a lower LSD decel/braking setting.

RKM Motorsport’s Romeo

Based on: 2004 Lotus Elise 111R

Drivetrain: MR
Horsepower: 312 BHP (@ 53.2 miles)
Torque:---- 199 ft-lb
Weight:---- 720 kg

SETUP

Body/Chassis
Aerodynamics

Downforce: 20/45

Transmission
Transmission

1st:-- 3.375
2nd:-- 2.301
3rd:-- 1.693
4th:-- 1.305
5th:-- 1.054
6th:-- 0.892
Final: 4.529
Max Speed: 180

Drivetrain
Differential

Initial: xx/17
Accel:-- xx/25
Braking: xx/10

Suspension
Suspension

Ride Height: -20/-15
Spring Rate: 7.2/9.7
Compression: 8/8
Anti-Roll:-- 6/2
Camber:----- 3.1/3.7
Toe:-------- 0.00/0.07

Brakes
Brake Balance Controller

Brake Balance: 5/7

Intended Driving Options
Transmission: Manual (MT)
ABS: 1
Everything else: OFF

Tuner Comments: Say hello to Romeo. He will do anything for his beloved Juliet, including destroying those she can't... It's been said that he holds cornering speeds reserved for those equipped with full race slicks... On street-legal semi-slicks.

Test Track: Deep Forest Raceway
Best Lap: 1:13.726

This is of course, with Sport - Soft tires on, as that's what I assumed you meant by Semi Slicks? The tune doesn't say specifically, so I went out on a limb.

With the Camaro driving techniques still fresh in my mind, I wanted to test the car with Sport Soft Tires, before I jumped into any car with Racing Softs, lol.

Entry: The Elise simply has more grip than it does power, lol. The car handled great, entry was strong suspension and handling wise. The only issue I ran into here, was under hard braking, I'd lose the backend. I'm not sure if this is due to the slightly higher Rear Brake Balance, or an LSD De-Accel issue. Either way, it was manageable, but made sure I didn't get lazy behind the wheel :P

Middle: Car turns great. It's stuck to the road, goes where you tell it to do, and never seems to fight you. I had absolutely no issues here, with rotation, grip or anything of the sort. The car simply turns. I might beg for a tiny bit more rotation, but that's probably due to some of the odd corners this track houses. The one where you play chicken with the mountain comes to mind, as well as the 2 final high speed turns. A touch more rotation in the center might allow me to carry some more speed through the exit, into the straights to pick up a tenth or two. I found myself in the grass a few times, on the first of the last 2 corners, because of the desire to carry as much speed as I can through the 2 of them combined. This is where a touch more rotation could come in handy... or the easy fix, stickier tires :P

Exit: Exit worked pretty well. As stated above, I might ask for a tiny bit more rotation, but I feel somewhat of a broken record, as I always appear to be asking for this in tunes. I chalk this up to driver preference. But I do feel that I could pick up 1 or 2 tenths if I could get off the corners just that hair more than I can now. The ability to do so, in both center and continue it through the exit would suit my personal style. The only real quam that came up on exit, was a few tail happy moments, where that car reminds you how light it is, and that just because 300HP isn't a lot, the car's power to weight ratio, still allows it to break loose if you mash the gas too quickly. This appeared most evident on the exit of the first large corner, and then again under the Michelin sign. Both of which possess a minor among of elevation, which could be part of the cause.

Overall, I was quite impressed at how the car felt on Sport Tires. This just goes to show how well this car handles.

Moving on to the Racing Slick Tires, for comparison sake!
The current competition times are as follows:
Team Lotus Tuning: 1:09.307
Precision Motorsports: 1:08.532
Vengence Tuning: 1:08.383
.............DRUMROLL.........
RKM: 1:08.802

All of the above still apply for the Racing Softs, with the exception of the tires breaking lose on exit from time to time. The stickies fixed that :P Lacking a bit of rotation through center and exit. The car still breaks loose on hard braking, and an issue I felt before, but not noticeably enough to mention, the car tweaks too much under mid corner de-accel. I believe this is caused by the Initial LSD setting being too low?? On some corners where I'd let off the gas, the nose would pitch down to the apex a considerable amount. Not an out of control crazy issue, but just one of the small areas that I feel resulted in the few tenths missing from this track. Braking oversteer, ride height, lsd, center thru exit rotation. I'd say my maximum lowest time obtainable with this tune, would be in the .6 range.

Test Track: Deep Forest Raceway
Best Lap: 1:13.726

This is of course, with Sport - Soft tires on, as that's what I assumed you meant by Semi Slicks? The tune doesn't say specifically, so I went out on a limb.

Fixed now, you were right about them being S3s.

With the Camaro driving techniques still fresh in my mind, I wanted to test the car with Sport Soft Tires, before I jumped into any car with Racing Softs, lol.

Entry: The Elise simply has more grip than it does power, lol. The car handled great, entry was strong suspension and handling wise. The only issue I ran into here, was under hard braking, I'd lose the backend. I'm not sure if this is due to the slightly higher Rear Brake Balance, or an LSD De-Accel issue. Either way, it was manageable, but made sure I didn't get lazy behind the wheel :P

Middle: Car turns great. It's stuck to the road, goes where you tell it to do, and never seems to fight you. I had absolutely no issues here, with rotation, grip or anything of the sort. The car simply turns. I might beg for a tiny bit more rotation, but that's probably due to some of the odd corners this track houses. The one where you play chicken with the mountain comes to mind, as well as the 2 final high speed turns. A touch more rotation in the center might allow me to carry some more speed through the exit, into the straights to pick up a tenth or two. I found myself in the grass a few times, on the first of the last 2 corners, because of the desire to carry as much speed as I can through the 2 of them combined. This is where a touch more rotation could come in handy... or the easy fix, stickier tires :P

Exit: Exit worked pretty well. As stated above, I might ask for a tiny bit more rotation, but I feel somewhat of a broken record, as I always appear to be asking for this in tunes. I chalk this up to driver preference. But I do feel that I could pick up 1 or 2 tenths if I could get off the corners just that hair more than I can now. The ability to do so, in both center and continue it through the exit would suit my personal style. The only real quam that came up on exit, was a few tail happy moments, where that car reminds you how light it is, and that just because 300HP isn't a lot, the car's power to weight ratio, still allows it to break loose if you mash the gas too quickly. This appeared most evident on the exit of the first large corner, and then again under the Michelin sign. Both of which possess a minor among of elevation, which could be part of the cause.

More rotation could mean more speed but (as you may expect) a car that's more difficult to drive. I was actually somewhat surprised by how much it wanted to slide under throttle at first... Then I took a look at how narrow the tires were and realized just how light the car actually is.

Overall, I was quite impressed at how the car felt on Sport Tires. This just goes to show how well this car handles.

Moving on to the Racing Slick Tires, for comparison sake!
The current competition times are as follows:
Team Lotus Tuning: 1:09.307
Precision Motorsports: 1:08.532
Vengence Tuning: 1:08.383
.............DRUMROLL.........
RKM: 1:08.802

All of the above still apply for the Racing Softs, with the exception of the tires breaking lose on exit from time to time. The stickies fixed that :P Lacking a bit of rotation through center and exit. The car still breaks loose on hard braking, and an issue I felt before, but not noticeably enough to mention, the car tweaks too much under mid corner de-accel. I believe this is caused by the Initial LSD setting being too low?? On some corners where I'd let off the gas, the nose would pitch down to the apex a considerable amount. Not an out of control crazy issue, but just one of the small areas that I feel resulted in the few tenths missing from this track. Braking oversteer, ride height, lsd, center thru exit rotation. I'd say my maximum lowest time obtainable with this tune, would be in the .6 range.

The slight disadvantage to time does not surprise me; as you mentioned, it winds up lacking rotation through the corner and exaggerates the "bite" from forward weight transfer. I'd probably need to thoroughly redo the suspension setup to get it to stop being overly bitey under braking and lift-off.

That said, I looked at the tune you posted your fastest lap with, as well as the review of it. I'm thinking the suspension may be much better but the alignment is off (camber is a bit on the low side), causing the tail to come out on banked corners as you mentioned.

I really like your stuff guys and have always been a fan of your style, you helped to inspire me to tune my own cars, thanks. You always show so much enthusiasm for your tunes and are incredibly humble, it's refreshing.

The slight disadvantage to time does not surprise me; as you mentioned, it winds up lacking rotation through the corner and exaggerates the "bite" from forward weight transfer. I'd probably need to thoroughly redo the suspension setup to get it to stop being overly bitey under braking and lift-off.

Ah, but that bite is the one thing I love about all your tunes.
Very sharp turn in and then the cars just hold the line mid corner and under throtle.
Matches my driving style to the point. 👍

I really like your stuff guys and have always been a fan of your style, you helped to inspire me to tune my own cars, thanks. You always show so much enthusiasm for your tunes and are incredibly humble, it's refreshing.

Why thank you! Good luck with your tuning shop! :D It's hard not to be enthusiastic here. We tune cars we love and we make them fun to drive. The setting sheets are pretty boring to write up, but even then, we can have fun with the tuner comments. :lol:

As for being humble, we are most of the time. But just wait until when we're in a tuner battle with our old friends, we leave the humble at home. :P

Hello Rotary Junkie and VTiRoj,

I have a question (perhaps a stupid one), I have felt that playing online almost all the cars have a different behaviour (I feel more oversteer) and I wonder if there is any general rule that we can apply to reduce the difference, perhaps increase the rear toe like in the Honda S2000.

I have another question, I have used almost all your tunes and I think they are fantastic, I usually play online and I have beaten a lot of cars using them, but I always have a doubt, what you could do with a car using race soft tires. I know that you prefer use sport soft tires, which is a commendable work, but I think it could be a great idea something like LDP has done with their LDP-R, it could be great a RKM Motorsport's Race Department!.

Thank you very much and please continue your work, there are a lot of people like me with no idea about tuning that couldn't enjoy GT5 without your help!

Hello Rotary Junkie and VTiRoj,

I have a question (perhaps a stupid one), I have felt that playing online almost all the cars have a different behaviour (I feel more oversteer) and I wonder if there is any general rule that we can apply to reduce the difference, perhaps increase the rear toe like in the Honda S2000.

It's not a stupid question at all. Alot of people have felt a difference, including us. There's no real general rule because every car is different. If I had to suggest something to make an offline tune more online-friendly, I'd open the LSD (lower numbers) a bit more and soften the suspension. At least this way, you've got more control and the oversteer isn't as strong.

I have another question, I have used almost all your tunes and I think they are fantastic, I usually play online and I have beaten a lot of cars using them, but I always have a doubt, what you could do with a car using race soft tires. I know that you prefer use sport soft tires, which is a commendable work, but I think it could be a great idea something like LDP has done with their LDP-R, it could be great a RKM Motorsport's Race Department!.

Thank you very much and please continue your work, there are a lot of people like me with no idea about tuning that couldn't enjoy GT5 without your help!
So far most of our tunes have been street cars, which don't need the extra grip. When a tune really needs it, we do use racing tyres, which so far has only been RJ's Z06 and my 787B. We do have future tunes planned which will use racing tyres, don't worry. 👍

That said, I looked at the tune you posted your fastest lap with, as well as the review of it. I'm thinking the suspension may be much better but the alignment is off (camber is a bit on the low side), causing the tail to come out on banked corners as you mentioned.

You were absolutely correct. I used your camber specs (even though I assume they're a bit high for R3's?) and the car felt even better. I pulled a .4, within 1 tenth of my previous best in the first 10 laps. I think I can hit .2's, if I fine tune a few things. But I need to start focusing my tunes for online :/

You were absolutely correct. I used your camber specs (even though I assume they're a bit high for R3's?) and the car felt even better. I pulled a .4, within 1 tenth of my previous best in the first 10 laps. I think I can hit .2's, if I fine tune a few things. But I need to start focusing my tunes for online :/

Interestingly, when I took my RM Elise online (just a bit of testing in my lounge) it actually felt, if anything, slightly better than it did offline. Felt like there was a noticeable amount more weight in the front end which helped get rid of some of the "scrub" on-throttle. That testing was also the reason for the rather high rear camber. I noticed that when online, many cars like to randomly lose the tail end at the Karussel; raising rear camber can, to an extent, help combat this. R3s would probably do slightly better in terms of rear grip with around 2.8-3.2 on flatter ground and the added grip *should* negate the need for better tire contact on heavily banked corners.

Interestingly, when I took my RM Elise online (just a bit of testing in my lounge) it actually felt, if anything, slightly better than it did offline.

Sorry, when I mentioned that I need to focus tuning for online, I meant I wasn't going to continue fine tuning that build in the practice mode, which is where I was at the time. I won't mess around with settings again, until I'm in online, or a lounge.

Back