Scion t2B Concept...(Doesn't know what to say)

• Thread starter Delirious
  • 61 comments
PS
and would you mind explaining to me what happened with the stealth/viper/pace car incident back in....1989? '88?
I remember reading about that incident here recently.

For the Indy 500 in 199-,(something around there, could have been '89), Dodge was picked to provide the Pace Car, and they chose the Dodge Stealth. But, the Stealth was built by Mitsubishi in Japan, and the Indy 500 Pace Car must be built in the USA. And, they found this out not long before the pace car had to be in Indianapolis. So, Dodge was pretty much left with no choice but to put one of their Viper test cars in pace car trim, and send it off to Indy!

And back on topic (sort of), what gives the xB personality? If you ask me, it's got all the personality of a box, because that is all it is. It's certainly not fast, it's not at all intimidating, it's not beautiful, it's not luxurious, it's not unique, so what could possibly give it personality?

I love it!

I think it looks nice, and the radical interior is, well, radical!
I really hope that makes production!

I've waited to comment in this thread for a while. My first and current response to this car is some mix of slapping myself in the face and puking all over my monitor. I'm exagerrating of course but still.

My main complaint about the scion brand is not the cars but the way they are marketed. They are made to look like they are cool new hipster boxes, when they are really just economy subcompacts. I won't make fun of someone who buys one because they got a good deal on a toyota with lots of space and good economy. I will make fun of those people who kit them out and add superchargers thinking that the car is suddenly hot stuff.

inferno
The 3.3 liter V6 from the Camry, stuffed in a Corrolla chassis with fresh bodywork and a sporty suspension. Yeah, the tC is a real econobox.

I'm talking about the x's, but in general i dont like the idea of a hipster brand. It just doesn't seem right. It just seems like the wrong way for a company to go. Make cars that start a movement, not advertisements that make it seem like your car is part of one.

Oh and when I talk about tuning scions I was talking about the commercial where they show a few kitted out scions (Xa's) and their owners talking about how they love uniqueness or something along that line.

600hp TC? I've never heard of it. Is it a factory option ( :dunce: )? If so then great, because I was talking about the scion customizability thing, where you select a new shift nob, body kit or supercharger and it comes from the factory.

Honestly Its great to hear about a 600hp one, but you can string massive horsepower out of almost any block, given your resources are big enough and also that you don't plan on it to last for too long.

Again I forget that Tc's are scions given that they are actually good looking vehicles.

I like Scions. They are one of those "love it or hate it" type brands, but lots of people seems to like them(yes, lots of people hate them, too).

As for the concept model, that's all it is. By looking at that thing(yes, this one's fugly), do you really expect to see it on the streets in the near future? I wouldn't worry about it. Even if they decide to build it, it will be much better looking than that............. I love the Star Trek cockpit though. :D

P.S. What I really can't understand is why people hate Honda Element. I think 99 - 100% of the people I talked to hate it. :ouch:

For the amount of money needed to boost the tC to 600hp, you're probably better off buying, say, a used M3. It's still going to be very fast, it's going to have vastly better handling (can you imagine the throttle on understeer in a 600hp FWD car?!), and it's going to be much, much easier to live with.

And if you ask me, the xB's success is just due to skillful marketing. They literally turned a box into a hip, trendy, must have vehicle.

Ev0
They literally turned a box into a hip, trendy, must have vehicle.

Which is why I hate it. People shouldn't buy a economy car because it is trendy!! You have to live with the thing every day. Make sure you actually like the thing and not what you think it will make you./rant

Well - Looks like I'm sorta first... I LOVE it !... I think it's one of the coolest things I've seen !... 👍

And NO - I am not kidding !...

Wow...Some of you really don't like this concept. I've never been a fan of Scions, especially xA and xBs but this concept is HOTT! I would love one as long as i get the exact thing in the pictures. It would make an excellent smoke-out ride for my friends and I. The styling looks pretty good, though the interior is kinda goofy. What is up with the lights? In any case, I'm sure that with a 2.4L 4-banger like on my mom's Highlander, it probably has a little pick-up. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give the car a 5 just to be conservative since no one knows how it drives or really feels like.

I can guarantee you that that car is about as aenemic as it gets. It's gotta have a massive curb weight, given all the interior 'goodies'. Couple a 2.4L I-4 to a 4 speed automatic, and you've got a great recipie for a horrendously slow car!

If America sucks because the xB sells well there, then Japan also sucks by that logic. And I'd wager the rest of the Western world would suck if it was also sold in more than two countries.

Ev0
If America sucks because the xB sells well there, then Japan also sucks by that logic. And I'd wager the rest of the Western world would suck if it was also sold in more than two countries.

Wow, who was talking about the xB? I'm talking about the T2B concept.

Keep in mind, the xB was the brainchild of Toyota Japan, brought to America. Some say the xB is like a minivan, some maybe an SUV. For some reason, I'd still want to see a truck conversion of it like "Haulin' Harry's" Custom Toyota Bb in Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero. Maybe not a mid-engined example like the one in the game, but an all-wheel drive model of it (not many Americans would like a front-drive truck, or are there any good ones?).

As I say, it's mostly a concept. Not to rant, but the most common mistake many of us make is that we quickly note a Concept Car as ugly. That's not the point. The point of it is to show off something that may be the future of a machine, or just simply build a machine that shows off the creator's dreams (for example, a Honda/Acura NSX with a jet motor). It's likely we won't see this imbreed on the streets, but my guess on what it COULD be is perhaps (I will use "xD" to denote a potential new Scion) a forthcoming Scion that features the elegance of a Scion tC, but with the versatility of the xB. Perhaps a new engine will be given to this "xD." The interior may feature something as versatile and stylish as the dashboard, and maybe a racing-style steering wheel. I think you have to "decipher" a concept car to know what exactly the auto maker has in mind for the future. Usually the concept is a marker for newer styling of cars. A big example is the Cadillac Cien. I am SO not a big Cadillac fan, but look at the styling of the Cien. Did you see any newer Cadillac cars carry the sort of styling the Cien did? Of course!

So while the concept may be bizarre and outlandish, it's pretty unlikely this Scion will hit the streets. Kind of envision what Scion could have in mind as this may look more like a new idea from the Scion camp. In fact, this may be an idea for (don't laugh at me, but...) a station wagon version of the Scion tC.

Ev0
If America sucks because the xB sells well there, then Japan also sucks by that logic.

Well - I'd say that Japan got the long end of the stick then ;)

"HEY - Let's make something REALLY REALLY weird - we can always sell it to the americans..."

Ev0
If any of you ever find me in one of those, please shoot me in the face.

Believe me, i woulda shot you anyway if you didnt tell me to. The amount of 'radical' concepts that i see at motor shows these days really worries me :nervous: is this where automotive design is heading?

JohnBM01
Keep in mind, the xB was the brainchild of Toyota Japan, brought to America. Some say the xB is like a minivan, some maybe an SUV. For some reason, I'd still want to see a truck conversion of it like "Haulin' Harry's" Custom Toyota Bb in Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero. Maybe not a mid-engined example like the one in the game, but an all-wheel drive model of it (not many Americans would like a front-drive truck, or are there any good ones?).
Actually, there is at least one bB pickup in existance. I saw it in a thread a while back on pics of PD's offices. I nearly puked it looked so ridiculous, it was everything a pickup should not be (styling wise).

Flerbizky
"HEY - Let's make something REALLY REALLY weird - we can always sell it to the americans..."
I can already picture how the rest of that meeting went.

You want weird? Then how about this? We design a car.... based on A BOX!!! It will be like the 80s all over again!

Now normally, anyone who suggests that for the design of a car would be laughed at until the cows come home. But bless Toyota, they made it work through some very skillful marketing. And god only knows how it made it through the initial design stages before the marketers got their hands on it...

[FPV
Rusty]Believe me, i woulda shot you anyway if you didnt tell me to.
Oookay....

The "truck" bB is actually a production model. The name escapes me, however. There's even a Bit Char-G made of it.

I think someone was playing Halo when they designed the interior of this thing, though.

the current trend in america is to the "shoebox on wheels. Why? because the emphasis in america has been on saftey in size for a long time. this attitiude is epitomised by a lyric in a recent country song that runs basically

"I'd rather not comprimise my family's safety, just to save on a little gas"

in otherwords...America has accept the 2 dollar a gallon gas levels as just another frustrating part of life. they would rather drive around in something that looks like it could withstand the blow of a wrecking ball or terrorist bomb with only a minor dent. it makes them feel safe. that's the emphasis in design and creation in the US. it's why things such as the xB and this concept are appealing.

[FPV]Rusty
Becuase your driving that car of course, not cos im a nut or anything :sly:
Ah, okay, I thought you'd shoot me for no apparent reason! :lol:

Sniffs
the current trend in america is to the "shoebox on wheels. Why? because the emphasis in america has been on saftey in size for a long time. this attitiude is epitomised by a lyric in a recent country song that runs basically

"I'd rather not comprimise my family's safety, just to save on a little gas"

in otherwords...America has accept the 2 dollar a gallon gas levels as just another frustrating part of life. they would rather drive around in something that looks like it could withstand the blow of a wrecking ball or terrorist bomb with only a minor dent. it makes them feel safe. that's the emphasis in design and creation in the US. it's why things such as the xB and this concept are appealing.
Good idea, except there is one problem with that. The xB is about the same size and weight as a Corolla, so you're really not getting much in the way of safety (the level of safety technology in both cars is comprable). And to top it all off, the Corolla also gets better fuel economy than the xB, despite the fact the Corolla has a larger, more powerful engine.

Flerbizky
Well - I'd say that Japan got the long end of the stick then ;)

Those crazy japanese people and their ideas. Man do we just eat them up or what?

They work off of the idea that American's see a logo that isn't Ford/dodge/GM and say "This is an amazing car"....ALA Santa-fe and Tucson

Latest Posts

Back