SF Bay Area Gran Turismo Party 1 (14th & 15th July!)

When would you prefer to hold this meeting?

• Cannot make June 30th / July 1st

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cannot make July 7th & 8th

• Cannot make July 14th & 15th

• Total voters
I live in Vacaville its 57 miles away from SF i would love to go to this since not a soul out here plays gt4. I played a few ok people but nothing special. if anyone lives in the 707 area hit me up.

Well, I'd be set to go... although if it's gonna be on the weekend let me know so I can take off work. :lol:

Changes to what I can bring, I don't have a DFP anymore but I do have a 8.5 in. portable dvd player w/ video in. :lol:

Note to self, get gt4 back from friend.

As I said a few posts ago, my work schedule got sort-of busy for the dates I was originally looking at. :guilty: I'm currently in England again on another training class, and will still be here next weekend too.
I've been trying to make arrangements to borrow sufficient furnishings, i.e. desks and additional seating to set up 6 PS2, TV & DFP rigs, rather than having to buy stuff.
Are people prepared to make arrangements for accomodation locally i.e. sharing a hotel room in Emeryville? Or would everyone consider going home Saturday night and returning on Sunday morning?
Once I get back to Cali, I'll re-assess what needs to be done. I'm trying to arrange to have a friend, but non-GT4 player, to at least lend me his PS2 temporarily so that I can test the networking setup so I can guarantee it'll all work before everyone arrives. 💡

How many people that are interested have?:-

a) a networkable PS2 or PSTwo

b) a DFP wheel

Can I get a show of hands (or posts here!)?
I'm prepared to run this thing with as few as 4 players, but 6 or more would be ideal.

Are people prepared to make arrangements for accomodation locally i.e. sharing a hotel room in Emeryville? Or would everyone consider going home Saturday night and returning on Sunday morning?

Wait... I thought it was gonna be held at your place? I guess a room would work but we'd meet for more than one day?

a) a networkable PS2 or PSTwo

b) a DFP wheel

Got a networkable PS2... that's it.

Got a networkable PS2 (which I can send out to you in advance if you want to check your network setup since I just got myself a nice shinny new PS3 :) ) assuming GT4 works OK on the PS3. I also have a DFP but assuming I ever get some time to play GT4 I'll need to bring that with me so I dont loose practice time. Pretty much over 6 month now since I have been able to even load up GT4 so dont expect me to be breaking any lap times on this trip :)

Same as you with work so as much notice as possible would be very greatly appreciated.

You going to the liverpoop game this weekend if your still in the UK. After my mistake last year I'm not going to say a thing until after the game. We need the points too badly :)

DWA
Wait... I thought it was gonna be held at your place? I guess a room would work but we'd meet for more than one day?

I'd plan for 2 days worth of racing, and it'll be held in my double-garage.
However, I only have 1 spare room, and DaveS1138 gets first shout at that since he'd be travelling all the way from Connecticut to attend! :eek:
Garage floor isn't very comfortable, and will have my Miata parked in it in the evening! :P

I'd plan for 2 days worth of racing, and it'll be held in my double-garage.
However, I only have 1 spare room, and DaveS1138 gets first shout at that since he'd be travelling all the way from Connecticut to attend! :eek:
Garage floor isn't very comfortable, and will have my Miata parked in it in the evening! :P

So technically somebody small could sleep in the miata :) guess that rules me out. I would love to take up the offer of a spare room, thank you very much. I would be happy to bring the beers as payment :)

Actually I would be coming all the way from New hampshire these days. Hence not having had anywhere to play for 6 months. With packing up the old house and finding a new place, in this one I actually need to build the room I'm going to be putting my home theater and games room into :( So its an extra 100 miles (which I guess on top of the other 3000 doesnt make that big a difference :)

Give me an exact date.

No can do. ;)
Read post #34 carefully! Still in England right now. Back in Cali on Monday.

Lots to arrange! Seating, desks for PS2/TV/DFP setups etc.

Will have a better idea of what might work when I get back!

2 ps2's with only 2 controllers

Are they fat PS2s or slimline PSTwos?

If they're fatties, they're no use to us unless they've got network adapters.
The slimlines have network port built-in.

Also we'll need a copy of GT4 per PS2 and memory card each.
If you don't want to lose your gamesave, then bring a blank card, or I can back your saves up onto my MAX Drive and return them unadulterated later on! :D

ok thanks i have fat ones with one network adapter so looks like im bringing one. thanks just get back to me when you have a date thanks. Sorry lol i sent a report on accident .

I think I can't come......cause of school plus I'm not working....I really want to race some ppl in future (mainly in cali). So cal racers don't know what their missing. Maybe pictures of garage might motivated me to go heheh

What u mean socal racers don't race; we've been smart enough to figure out how to use xlink kai foo!

Hey you norcallers. When you do get your norcal game working, log onto xlink so the socallers can hop in too. When I am back home in Sacramento I get no lag with socal xlink users as long as its not ****ty dsl internet.

i have a slimline and dfp. i think i may have a network cable too.
however, i never know my work schedule(day to day, even). so when date is posted, i'll do my best.

Dang! Work has gotten to be a b&stard. Snowfall for CA is ****ty and I've got to make the most of what's there, only 5 days boarding this season blows goats. :grumpy: That said March is pretty much written off. I have a BAMA meeting on Saturday (Bay Area Miata Association) which has gobbled this weekend, and it looks like I'll have more work out-of-state in April which kyboshes that plan.....
However, I have a cunning plan! (thanks Baldrick! ;))
I am definitely back in England for the last weekend in April, attending UKGTP 7 on the first weekend of May (and will either a) Kidnap Famine and hide him in my garage until he agrees to help out with this thing, or b) Just hopefully have him give me his race database spreadsheets and random track generation software so I don't have to spend ages concocting events...) and after that taking a week or so's vacation to keep the good lady entertained....
This is looking more like happening in June now.
By then the garage should be clear of crap, I should have plans and means to equip said garage with desky things (possibly courtesy of wife's work) and figure out things accomodation-wise. If I can persuade the missus to spend a weekend away, then everyone can crash here without too much bother, as long as you've a sleeping bag or something!
Many apologies for the delays. I would, however, like to test out the network switch prior to gameday, so that things don't go boobs skyward, and if anyone fancies a head-to-head anytime soon, would relish the idea of connecting at least 2 PS2 via LAN to see if it works. i-Link was so easy, but Ethernet links can be a pain.....

This is cool. :D

Thanks to juana b.'s visit today, we've discovered a few things that are going to make this all possible! 👍

Firstly, my network hardware is proven to work. :)

Secondly, I haven't yet managed to drink to death those braincells which're responsible for me remembering which network settings etc. etc. to use for each PS2 on a network so that they can all talk to each other! ;)

This means that if many of you come from far away, there'll be minimum fuss in setting this up, (just some transferring of a game save to a memory card for each machine, and backing up your own gamesaves if you're not bringing a blank card, which is all easily done via MAX Drive and was proven today by transferring juana b.'s GT4 gamesave from his existing memory card to his new one after it'd been used all day with my LAN testing gamesave. The LAN testing save worked all day while we raced, was easily deleted at the end of the day, and his working GT4 gamesave was tested after transferring it back from the PC!) and means that I don't have to deal with several guys, who've travelled a long way, standing around for hours on end while I try to figure out why things aren't working! It means we'll have under an hour of setup time, and then straight onto the racing!

I've been using Famine's car times database to figure out some interesting Handicap events, to ensure that everyone drives lots of different cars, different tracks, and stands equal chances of winning races. We'll do some pick'n'mix events too, 6 cars, 6 races per player & you must use each car once. Again a good leveller of the playing field.
I need more time to test things properly for cars & tracks, and the events & lineups will remain secret until event day!

Thirdly, along with GT4 Disc/PS2/TV/DFP or DS2 setups, it's a good idea 💡 to bring headphones along! Trying to pick your own engine note & tyre noise out from 6 other TVs in close proximity is difficult, so headphones help!

Alas, we have no definite date yet....:guilty:
That I'm still working on, and since I'm once again in England for most of May, it's looking like June is favourable! Sorry. :(
If anyone is interested in maybe another brief 1 day mini-LAN soon, let me know, I think we can arrange something 1 weekend.

Please keep checking this thread for updates, or PM me with details of an e-mail address or phone number where you can be contacted. 👍

That's all for now!
Gracious thanks once again to juana b. for his help and patience in getting things running today. :bowdown:

I'd like to add a heaping thanks to Smallhorses for the hospitality and good racing.

thanks for keeping us up to date on this great job. I hope there are no bumpers out there coming to this little get together. I hate racing people who bump you to get in the lead its annoying :ouch: . Well if possible can you get an accurate date or something close to it? thank you. OH ya watch some of my videos on youtube lol. www.youtube.com/bunta19

Alas, we have no definite date yet....:guilty:
That I'm still working on, and since I'm once again in England for most of May, it's looking like June is favourable! Sorry. :(

Sorry Smallhorses but I just found out I have a prior commitment from June 16th to June 30th :( Anything around those dates is fine though.

Good luck on Tuesday night.... I hope to see you in Greece.....sort of :nervous:

Unfortunately I am too young to be in possesion of the almighty license and like most youngins' like myself parents wouldn't go for it plus i'm neck deep in school. Sorry. :(

OK folks, we've got 3 of us available any of those weekends, but we're still lacking a few, ideally I'd like a minimum of 4 to run this.

Do you know anyone who plays GT4 that lives round here and isn't a GTP member? 💡 Please let them know, I have 1 person in mind, but the more the merrier as they say.

Come on folks! Let's make this happen. It'll be free of charge, no venue costs or any of that! 👍

I feel like I moron... I could've just picked any of them :dunce: Either way, you'd have to let me know in advanced because I would need to take off work. Oh, btw... I can bring a PS3 with GTHD now too. :D I'm not sure about July 7/8 because that's right around my b-day.

What about a meet up at the E for All expo in LA? It doesn't have to be this specific meet up, maybe a second one in October?

Will this be overnight? Liquor???

DWA
I feel like I moron... I could've just picked any of them :dunce: Either way, you'd have to let me know in advanced because I would need to take off work. Oh, btw... I can bring a PS3 with GTHD now too. :D I'm not sure about July 7/8 because that's right around my b-day.

No worries! I wanted to be able to give folks as much flexibility as possible and will work around that! 👍

What we really need at the moment is copies of GT4, networkable PS2s and controllers so we can have upto 6 cars on track (if there's enough people) and a tonne of fun! :D

GTHD & PS3 has 10 cars and 1 track, and isn't LANable. 👎
It looks lovely, but as far as LAN goes it's useless. We proved that at UKGTP7, the PS3 and GTHD got about 30 minutes of attention, compared to 3 full days of GT4 LAN racing on 12 PS2s!

When's your B'day? Mine is during that week too! I get fireworks!
fireworks-074.gif

What about a meet up at the E for All expo in LA? It doesn't have to be this specific meet up, maybe a second one in October?

Will this be overnight? Liquor???

I'm not aware of E for All, what is that? It's proving difficult enough to organise something locally without trying to motivate folks to get down to LA!
Although if we can get something off the ground here, it might be worth thinking about.

As far as I'm concerned, the longer we race the better, so an overnight stay is a possibility so that racing can go ahead on Saturday & Sunday. If you're not bothered about crashing on a sofabed or floor in a sleeping bag, then definitely folks are welcome to crash here. There's a bed in the spare room, but DaveS1138 get first shout at that as he'd be coming all the way from New Hampshire, if he makes it!

Liquor? Well if folks are staying, and you're over 21, then I'd say definitely! I pride myself on keeping a well stocked beer fridge, selection of malt whiskies, and wine, and plenty of cocktail mixers! Unless you're a teetotaller, of course! :P
I also live opposite an excellent bar/restaurant that has Guinness and Boddingtons on tap. But this had no influence on me buying this condo. Honest. :embarrassed:

*Edit* Looks like Famine may have just taken over spare bed rights for the longest-distance travelled! :lol:
Which reminds me, could you e-mail me those fantastic spreadsheets of yours please? PM me if you lost that business card I left you with and I'll send you my e-mail address that way!

Back