SF Bay Area Gran Turismo Party 1 (14th & 15th July!)

When would you prefer to hold this meeting?

• Cannot make June 30th / July 1st

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cannot make July 7th & 8th

• Cannot make July 14th & 15th

• Total voters
What we really need at the moment is copies of GT4, networkable PS2s and controllers so we can have upto 6 cars on track (if there's enough people) and a tonne of fun! :D

When's your B'day? Mine is during that week too! I get fireworks!
fireworks-074.gif

Ok, but the PS3 and GT4 won't lan to a Ps2? If not I'll bring my ps2 (hopefully it works).

My b-day is the 6th. Cool gif gotta use that on the 4th! :D

I'm not actually sure about that, we didn't try to LAN the PS3, but that was because we didn't have the Mem card adapter for the PS2 cards to be used with the PS3 & GT4. Do you have one of those?

Holy BeDazzled Batman! A GT4 LAN party in SF!!!

I can make any dates that are currently being discussed...however, I'd really love to bring my GT4 Racing Cockpit (see sig) if there's room for it...minus the speakers of course...and/or the TV as well.

I've also got a Network Adapter for my PS2 as well if that helps!

Yee-feckin'-haw! As the Dukes' would've said if they were Irish! :rolleyes:

That's an awesome setup SimRaceDriver, I know juana b. showed me the website for FREX when we did a hardware test here earlier in the year! :drool:
I have also "accidentally" acquired a brand new 8-port net switch and 6 cables, through no fault of my own! :dunce: Some are just born lucky! :D

There will definitely be room for that, you'll be the VEXD of SFGTP, although hopefully not quite so scary fast! :scared:

VEXD at his normal speed again! From -Diego-'s post in UKGTP7 thread!

Whereabouts are you located?

DWA
My b-day is the 6th. Cool gif gotta use that on the 4th! :D

Hey, if you ever need a cooler reason to move to a country where you never, ever, have to work on your birthday, then let me know where it is! :P I found & moved to mine! ;)

Aww, so close. I'm going to be in the bay area next week.

Ok, so we've got a few interested folks here, Smallhorses, juana b., SimRaceDriver, all have networkable-PS2/DFP setups to use.
DWA has a PS2, but we're not sure about the network adapter.
ceiling_fan has a PS2 but no network adapter available.
Solid Fro has a DFP to bring but no PS2.

I can possibly borrow 1 or 2 slimline PS2s to solve networking issues, but we'll still need a couple of TVs, as there's a very likely possibility that I'll lose one of mine before the event. It's also possible that I can get hold of a network adapter to use too.

The venue is free, juana b. should be able to help out with some tables to mount things on, and I should have enough chairs to go around. If not, IKEA is 2 minutes away and has cheap folding ones that I can buy a few of! All the network hardware & cables are here and ready to go. We may need a couple of additional power strips but that's about it.

So then... how is everyone set for 14th & 15th of July?
Go ahead, book time off work / wife / whatever and get ready for some of the best GT4 racing you're ever likely to participate in.....

If we can get more folks to come, then that'd be good too.
Sadly I've not heard back from a few people who were initally interested.
opendriver19a is around but not responding to the invitation.
jeffdskater hasn't been around for ages.
Fireball27 didn't post here but is located in San Jose, so I thought he might like to come, but hasn't responded either.

If any of you know how to get in touch with these guys, or have racing buddies that you want to bring along, let me know.

I have contact numbers for juana b. & SimRaceDriver so if DWA, Solid Fro & ceiling_fan would be good enough to PM me an e-mail address or cellphone # then I can coordinate things a little easier!

Looking forward to racing you folks soon! Now to prepare some events, and once I get a final headcount, some prizes! :cheers:

I have been meaning to get back to you about that. Sorry...

I have been in the midst of getting another job here within the next week or so, it entails working weekends, and I don own a PS2 anymore so I guess you could count me out.

But im getting a new TV soon!:D

That's a shame, although hopefully, given enough equipment and other folks, we wouldn't need a PS2 from you! I've attended 2 of the UK meets, and not provided any equipment ('cos of the power and format issues) but having more drivers than stations always make things interesting as you take turns sitting off, and it guarantees different driver lineups each time!

Don't count yourself out just through lack of equipment, bring the TV! Same goes for anyone else!
Also if you don't have a PS2 of your own, but could borrow one for a weekend, then that's perfect too!
Copies of GT4 & mem cards are also hellishly useful! :P

If, however, you end up working the weekends, then that's too bad, but good luck with the job thing! :cheers:

SmallHorse: Don't worry about me being faster then VexD...cuz if I were faster...I wouldn't be in Div 3 for the WRS! LOL!

Good to hear to there's room for my rig! I'm sure everyone is going to have a blast doing a few laps in it!

Cheers-

SRD

Well, I now have a second copy of GT4!
Went out and bought one last night to dispell myths of GT4 disks causing game freezes. Well that's what I thought I was doing anyway!
Turns out my original works perfectly well and the problem lies within the gamesave itself. :indiff:

Oh well, on a more positive note, testing is now underway for the cars we'll be using, I have been pilfering ideas for Mix'n'Match & Handicap events from the last few UKGTP events, and coming up with a few of my own.

As a heads up, we'll be running everything in Arcade mode, road cars on sports medium tyres, and race cars on race medium tyres.
Being a US event, I feel we should have a US-ish focus to at least 1 race series! 👍

What do you guys think?

If you're not familiar with Mix'n'Match & Handicap terms, here's a quick recap:

Mix'n'Match (or Pick'n'Mix) :- There are 6 cars to select. Each driver will drive 6 races, on 6 different tracks. Each car must be used by each driver once.
Cars are usually relatively evenly matched, e.g. JGTCs

Handicap :- All drivers race in the same starter car. Race winners (or 1st & 2nd place depending on numbers) drop down to an inferior car (and sit out a race depending on numbers) and so on & so forth until we've used a good selection (usually 6 - 10) of cars, and the winner is the first person to win a race in the slowest available car!

Any preferences for types of car? They have to be available in Arcade mode, and won't be tuned to the epic proportions you can reach in Simulation mode.
I have some great ideas ranging from quick race cars to moderately paced road machines. :drool:

Despite my username, I promise I won't be inflicting Daihatsu Midget or Fiat 500 races on you either! :P

I personally would like to use race cars, like the:

Corvette C5R
Team Oreca Viper
BMW M3 GTR
Audi TT DTM car
Any of the JGTC cars
Audi R8
Minolta
Sauber

But I wouldn't mind running some street cars, such as:

Ruf BTR & Yellowbird
BMW M3
Honda S2000
Acura NSX
Pagani Zonda

If I can think of any more, I'll let you know...:D

PS: Oh! forgot to mention in my last post...my GT4 race rig is for sell...if interested, send PM for details/pricing...

For sale?!!!! Why?!!!!

Looked at your list, and while I can't promise the exact vehicles you've listed, last night's testing session has thrown up a 6 car pick'n'mix event with very closely matched race cars, 2 of which are American!

Got plenty of work to do on the road car handicap races, but M3s have figured in Famine's coupe handicaps at UKGTPs for a while, so I can go down that route. Like the Yellowbird/BTR idea too....💡

Think there'll be something for everyone here. :D

Thanks ceiling_fan! That is so cool! Glad to hear you're coming, and I got your details in the PM! :)

Easy to see now why Ex'pressions is your first choice for college! 👍

I hope you don't mind me using that in post #1 (let me know if you do and I'll remove it!) :cheers:

How's your confirmed attendees list going Nick?

We're now up to a grand total of 4 definites with 2 strong possibles, and Famine.... How about you?
Going to make the long journey over for this?!!! You know you want to!!!

I wouldn't be in Div 3 for the WRS!
Well, I know that if you had enough time to race each week, you'd easily be in division 2 by now... :P You were giving me runs for my money over a year ago when I was a division 2 driver stuck in D3... 👍

I'll get in touch with a couple people from up here and see if something can be arranged. I shouldn't be making this many trips this year though, I already was down in Cali twice...!? And I'm going to Canada in August... :scared:

I'd want at least a carpool of three people to make it even somewhat reasonable for me. Now, if only I could make my car get 30mpg or better, overnight... Currently I'm stuck closer to 23... :guilty: I need to swap in a manual transmission, but I doubt I'll get that done by this date. Actually, I know I won't. I wouldn't really want to drive anything other than my volvo though, especially considering last time I tried to take something else(1991 Passat) it blew its transmission!

Needless to say, interested. Will need to get more details about taking time off work. I'm gonna try my best for sure tho :), thx for the info Kyle 👍

Jerome

Sweeeeet! :) Hope you fellas can make it! 👍

I now have 2 sets of pick'n'mix races with race cars and 2 handicap style events with production cars tested and ready to roll.
There's also the possibility of nicking some tried & tested event lineups from the UKGTP threads too. I'm tempted by the TVRs & Group B Road Cars in particular. :mischievous:
If we get enough folks it may be worth considering a mini-enduro a la Clio Endurances from UKGTP, but since it halves the number of drivers at any given time, we'd need 6 - 8 attendees to make this feasible!

This week's WRS event is a great way to practice though & could be considered a good warm-up for what can be expected here!

Just thought I'd throw a suggestion in here if that's OK. ;) If you do plan to have a Mini-Enduro, can you have that race run on one of the Infinieon Raceway tracks?

::hands Smallhorses 2 cents::

As for coming out, I wish I could, but that would probably involve some time off from work and money for the airline ticket and hotel room for me. Maybe another time unless someone plans a similar get-together on the East Coast. :D

I now appreciate the envy of those who couldn't come to the UKGTP meetings, since I'd love to be able to come over, but can't make it. Hope it goes really well, and hopefully I will be able to make it one day to a future event!

I was just having a quick look on the internet for nearby conferences and amazingly, the same conference that I attended back in 2000 (in Chamonix, France) is in San Diego on July 9-11, 2007... If I had known about it earlier, I might have been able to persuade my boss to let me go (i.e. all expenses paid - free flight to California!)... wish I had checked sooner!

As an attendee of the UKGTP meetings as well, however, I can only plug this meeting too (the GT party, not the Chirality conference) and say that it promises to be great, so if you can go, then do go! 👍

Wow, that's a great venue for a conference! Chirality huh? Didn't realise that's what you're researching, though I'm sure it's slightly more advanced structures than the carbon tetrahedral shapes that I can envisage whenever chirality is mentioned! I say you push for some last minute funding and go for it! 👍 Tell your boss you need to study effects of chirality in the field of driving, ergo driving on the opposite side of the road in a mirror image of a vehicle that you've driven in England! How can he dispute solid research theories such as that?!!! :lol:

For sale?!!!! Why?!!!!

Because at the moment, I want to focus more on getting my biz up and running, plus the extra $$ from selling it will go a long way in covering some of my expenses. (Advertising, web hosting, etc., etc.,)

Plus, one day I want to update to the racecraft GT from Nixim, found here

Looked at your list, and while I can't promise the exact vehicles you've listed, last night's testing session has thrown up a 6 car pick'n'mix event with very closely matched race cars, 2 of which are American!

No worries mate! Looking to just having a good time regardless of what cars are raced!

...Like the Yellowbird/BTR idea too....💡 ...

Good to hear that! Hopefully a race on the "ring" can be set up with one of those 2 cars! Wink-Wink! :-)

So.... this is happening in smallhorses's garage???

Yep. Double Garage underneath our townhome. What's wrong with that? :confused:
It's where my GT4 rig is permanently set up, and our Miata lives!

The wife would be a little mad if I tried to set up 5 or 6 GT rigs in our living space for 2 days!

Are you coming?

Well, I've decided that I'm officially out, for this year(:sly:)...

There are just too many other things I need to get done before the beginning of August, and conserving money is also one of them. I wish I could come though, and will plan on doing so next year, assuming something more important doesn't come up. Chances of something else happening though are slim, this summer's just really busy for me.

I think Jerome's still planning on making it out though. Have fun for me guys!!!

Back