Signaling Protocol

United States
Tucson, Arizona. USA
jochoalions
In some of the races I see drivers using their turn signals to indicate something. I have concluded that drivers are indicating the side of the track that they are going to take, thereby allowing passing on the opposite side. But I am not sure if this is correct; this is what I have been doing and it seems to work. Can anyone confirm if my understanding is correct?

Are there other protocols in use?

Yeah, race hard and don't worry about anything else. Pretty sure indicators were designed for road use, not track.

I think people just use the blinkers to trick you into thinking they are paused in auto drive.

Btw does anyone ever feel like moving aside when someone is furiously blinking their headlights at you? Too bad there is no damage so I can step on the brakes to shatter your headlights. Reminds me of night races in GT5 on the nurb with broken headlights, fun!

If someone uses me a brake by ramming into my rear bumper, I'll stalk them around the entire track while flashing my headlights in his rear view mirror up until the point he crashes out due to flashing headlights distracting him from keeping focus on his racing line.

Works every single time.

When someone is cleanly chasing me, I use signal indicators to "show" what side he'll have to overtake me if he tries to make a move. I take the inside line and signal towards the outside line, when a chaser realizes this it can make for incredible clean close racing with multiple overtakes between 2 players in a single lap.

Isnt that just like showing your cards with a game of poker? Isnt it to easy when i know where they will overtake? Ot if they know where i'm about to overtake...?

In some of the races I see drivers using their turn signals to indicate something. I have concluded that drivers are indicating the side of the track that they are going to take, thereby allowing passing on the opposite side. But I am not sure if this is correct; this is what I have been doing and it seems to work. Can anyone confirm if my understanding is correct?

Are there other protocols in use?

Yeah this is commonly done during trackdays by slower or by lapped cars. This will also be used by people after the clean race acheivement as to avoid any contact.

Flashing lights is often done by a faster car approaching a much slower one (ie about to lap a car) or by a car on a quali lap.

Hazards can sometimes be used to say sorry.

I turn on my hazards when I take significant damage in a lobby with no self fixing damage and my car is hobbling to the pits.

If someone uses me a brake by ramming into my rear bumper, I'll stalk them around the entire track while flashing my headlights in his rear view mirror up until the point he crashes out due to flashing headlights distracting him from keeping focus on his racing line.

Works every single time.

When someone is cleanly chasing me, I use signal indicators to "show" what side he'll have to overtake me if he tries to make a move. I take the inside line and signal towards the outside line, when a chaser realizes this it can make for incredible clean close racing with multiple overtakes between 2 players in a single lap.
That's a little opposite I think, I would indicate in the direction I'll be on track. Being on the inside indicating outside looks like you're about to switch sides.

If you are behind a car and they signal right, it means safe to pass on the right. Vice versa for signaling left.

Flashing lights usually means the driver behind is faster or you are holding them up. Although you may be able to keep a minimal gap over a lap, the "faster" driver, may be quicker in certain sections, hence being faster over a lap. Doesn't mean you have to let them past.
Flip side is, to let slow cars know a faster car approaching.

Lights on, could be anything. Sometimes intimidation. Could be the car behind is on a fast lap for qualifying. Letting other drivers know they are on a hot lap.

The way I use my blinkers, and how I personally feel everyone should use them, is the same as the real world. Signal in the direction which YOU want to go/yield. I see the AI in GT Sport do the same thing racing on the Nurburgring, sometimes they will throw their right blinker (or left) and let you pass on the opposite side.

And that's exactly why it's best to ignore them! Right/Left/Accidental who knows. Instead of flashing lights, why not indicate which side you want to pass like when normally driving a car.

Please never do a track day. If you indicate right it means you are yielding to the right so it is safe to overtake on the left.
Please watch various racing. You'll see in V8 Supercars and some European racing, they'll signal for you to pass on the side they are signalling.
If on the Nurburgring, They pass as on the road regardless of signalling.

The indicators are daft unless it's multi class racing. I'll give someone I'm racing a quick flash of the hazards to say thanks for a fair pass though.

And here's a track day rule. If that's anyone's thing.
http://apexdriving.ca/rules/
Passing of a slower car does not happen until the driver of the slower car gives the "passing signal". The passing signal can be given by a point by, with the driver pointing to the side to be passed on or it can be indicated by putting on the turn signal on the side he wishes to be passed on.

Some racing rules may vary, but this is the most common as I've seen used in motor racing.

I use it for it three reasons:

1.) Accidentally hit someone, slow down and once they pass me I flash the lights to let them know my bad

2.) If I'm gaining on a straight I do it, although very rarely

3.) A slower driver recognizes I'm faster and I flash to let him know if I can overtake, he flashes back to imply 'yes' or it happens vice versa

I find most backmarkers take the rene arnoux approach of not looking in their mirrors at all, so headlight flashing does little. I take no notice of indicator lights because it makes people no more predictable than without them.

What I am finding out is that there are two common practices, from different classes and perhaps from different countries. That was the source of my confusion and uncertainty.

1. Signal Right = Pass me on the Right. As @05XR8 pointed out on the link, it is one practice followed in some Driving Schools. Back in the 70's when I was racing Rallies, this was our practice, signal the side you want to be passed on.

2. Signal Right = I am staying Right, pass me on the Left. This is what the AI seems to do in GTS, as @Whitetail pointed out. This practice is new to me, but when I do custom races, I do notice that by following this practice, the AI drivers yield easily, and clean races (and their bonus) are easy to achieve.

Personally, as a driver, I always signal. As a sports driver, I ALWAYS signal; it is not just a matter of courtesy, it is also a matter of maintaining the flow and the safety of the race. I do not care for winning races by blocking the competition; I do care about my car, my fellow drivers' cars, the track and the safety of the marshals and other people near the track.

Thanks for all of the input.

Last edited:
That's a little opposite I think, I would indicate in the direction I'll be on track. Being on the inside indicating outside looks like you're about to switch sides.

I know, right! Yet it works better than If i invert my action and do it as you've mentioned :)

Well I've learned something today. I thought folks in front of me using the blinkers or hazard lights were just trying to distract me and cause me to crash. It worked. :indiff:

I've noticed some folks using ds4 drive the entire race with headlights flashing. So after putting up with the disorienting darting around when I'm behind them, I have to put up with that annoying disorienting event when they're behind me. Obviously (hopefully) accidental, but annoying nonetheless.

I like to flash a left indicator if I'm giving someone the left side for an overtake (not fighting for position) and vice versa. I dont leave it on, just let it flash once or twice. Which I know is probably backwards than what most people do.

For those who do use indicators in this game, it's pretty obvious to me how they should be used. They indicate your intentions. As for the hazards (both indicators at the same time), not sure how those would be used.

Hard to believe some motorsports have drivers indicating what they want other drivers to do. Everything I have ever seen or read has the driver indicate what they intend to do, allowing other drivers to make their own decision how to respond. It's the same as public streets and it just makes sense. Who deliberately signals right and turns left? Seriously!

Back