Skincare Thread

• Thread starter Hollow
  • 35 comments

Hollow

Premium
United Arab Emirates
Abu Dhabi
TurboToastt
Back in 2020, I had a 10 step Korean skin care routine that I executed on the daily thanks to covid lockdowns and having lots of free time. Those days are long gone, my routine now is as simple as it gets. Manageable even on my most exhausting days, but I’ve since educated myself on how the world of skincare really works.

This thread is intended to be a space where people can share and discuss skin concerns or general skin products with the following list offering some examples of subjects that can be explored:

Skin Types: oily, dry, combination, sensitive, normal.

Skincare Routines: including cleansing, moisturizing, and sun protection.

Common Ingredients: hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, peptides, antioxidants.

Retinoids and Actives: (Retinol, Tretinoin, Adapalene, Vitamin C, AHAs (Alpha Hydroxy Acids), BHAs (Beta Hydroxy Acids), PHAs (Polyhydroxy Acids), Azelaic Acid, Kojic Acid, Lipoic Acid, Peptides (Matrixyl, copper peptides).

Exfoliation: Chemical vs. physical.

Anti-Aging: Wrinkles, fine lines, loss of elasticity, age spots, collagen production.

Layering Skincare Products: Order of application.

Sun Protection: Chemical, Mineral.

Choosing the Right Products: based on skin type, concerns, and goals.

Reading Ingredient Labels: What to look for and what to avoid in skincare products.

K-Beauty and J-Beauty: Korean and Japanese skincare products.

Professional Treatments: Botox, Facials (hydrafacial, chemical peels), lasers (hair removal, tattoo removal, resurfacing, IPL, blue light, radiofrequency), etc.

Home Devices: Tools like LED masks for Red Light Therapy, microcurrent devices, and at-home lasers.

Myths and Misconceptions: "natural" always means better, or "more expensive" means more effective. Misunderstood ingredients like parabens, silicones, and sulfates.

Skin Conditions: Acne, Hyperpigmentation, Rosacea, Dermatitis, Eczema, Psoriasis, Melasma, Vitiligo, etc.

TLDR: Post your skin routines and/or concerns, products you use.

My facial skin differs greatly from the rest of the skin on my body, requiring different products entirely. I had poor skincare habits for years, including not using sunscreen often (sun damage is cumulative!), used harsh scrubs on my face in the late 2000s (St. Ives Apricot Scrub anyone?), those horrible Clean ‘n’ Clear astringent toners and pads, moisturizing creams filled with essential oils and perfume, heavy makeup that clogged my pores, harsh salicylic acid face washes, facial bleach, wax strips, pore strips, masks that contained irritating ingredients like menthol, tea tree, witch-hazel, the list goes on..

Stress, poor diet, improper hydration, lack of sleep left my skin dry, textured, and prone to fine lines, irritation, and breakouts. I prepetually looked sunburnt and irritated.

I have fixed my ways since then and my skin is much healthier, improved texture and I use less products now than I did before. With some key products and consistent habits, everything is much more manageable and I have less “angry skin days”.

My routine is as follows:

AM: Cleanser, Vitamin C Serum or Azelaic Acid, Moisturizer, SPF.

PM: Oil Cleanser, Moisturizer, Tretinoin, Moisturizer. Some nights I use AHA instead of Tretinoin. Recently added “Frownies” patches on forehead.

My current issue I’m trying to tackle is eye irritation from sunblocks. I’ve tried a multitude of chemical sunscreens and they all seem to make my eyes sting like crazy. I get some visible swelling on my eyelids too and it’s just not sustainable on the daily. I also seem to burn despite having sunblock on for some reason. Mineral sunscreens have a mime like white cast which is just not a good look but they are the only type I can tolerate.

This pure mineral one from Avène seems to work but in return I look like a white chalky grease factory. Just ordered a tinted version of this but reviews say the tint is too dark for paler skin tones. :guilty:

IMG_5090.jpeg

The EU allows for a broader range of UV filters compared to the U.S, so I’ve been looking for different versions on popular online UK stores.

I do a daily dose of Nivea after I shower. My face drys like Gandhi’s slipper if I don’t rub it with some thick cream. Nivea for men sucks. It’s too fluid to be of any decent use.

If I binge on chocolate I get a few yellow head pimples. However, that’s easily remedied with a razor or needle to exercise the fats that cause the spots. Scarring in negligible as my face isn’t quite Brad Pitt anyway.

My main concern is the toasting that I get on the bike under the hot sun. I use aloe to alleviate the pain but I’m sure the long lasting damage has been done. Skin cancer here I come.

I’m also very wrinkly for a man under 40. Probably due to the dryness of my skin. But my siblings have greasy skin and are plagued with acne, so I’ll take the wearily look over a pot-marked face.

Routine:

Wet washcloth for the face in the shower.
Whatever body wash I happen to have purchased.
Lotion only applied to very specific spots on my fingers in the winter when the skin cracks.

TB
Wet washcloth for the face
I’ve heard tale of washing the face in the shower is detrimental. Can’t confirm in reality.

I use a luffa for my daily scrub.

Didn’t we have a thread about showering at some point?

I use a deep pore-cleanser lotion. In the shower, I use a water-activated gel cleanser, then a honey-almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb mint facial masque which I leave on for ten minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after-shave lotion with little or no alcohol because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm, followed by a final moisturizing "protective" lotion.

Actually, it's pretty much just vigorous use of a hot wet flannel, then the beard shampoo and conditioner gets used for my whole head and (what) hair (is left).

I just use NIVEA Soft. Have you tried this? NIVEA SUN Face Cream, UV Anti-Age, SPF 50, Tube 50ml
I looked into this and it’s a chemical sunscreen with a pretty solid ingredient list. However, chemical sunscreens seem to irritate my skin and cause a reaction.
I do a daily dose of Nivea after I shower. My face drys like Gandhi’s slipper if I don’t rub it with some thick cream. Nivea for men sucks. It’s too fluid to be of any decent use.
Nivea moisturizers are usually quite perfumed and they sort of dry the skin out after absorbing, not good. If you require a thick consistency cream maybe look into Cerave or Cetaphil, both brands have plenty of great options. This particular one below works really well for dry skin.
IMG_5114.jpeg

TB
Routine:

Wet washcloth for the face in the shower.
Whatever body wash I happen to have purchased.
Lotion only applied to very specific spots on my fingers in the winter when the skin cracks.
How does a wet washcloth work, I assume you gently pat it on the face to cleanse it?
I use a deep pore-cleanser lotion. In the shower, I use a water-activated gel cleanser, then a honey-almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb mint facial masque which I leave on for ten minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after-shave lotion with little or no alcohol because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm, followed by a final moisturizing "protective" lotion.

Actually, it's pretty much just vigorous use of a hot wet flannel, then the beard shampoo and conditioner gets used for my whole head and (what) hair (is left).
Christian Bale Face Mask GIF by PeacockTV

Vigorous usage of a hot wet flannel sounds very abrasive. :nervous:

Another hot washcloth user though, this is interesting. I’ve never heard of this method before.

Last edited:
Vigorous usage of a hot wet flannel sounds very abrasive.
Well, it's a fairly soft flannel, and it's fully saturated when used. I found when I was younger that using much in the way of 'product', even stuff billed as 'for sensitive skin' dried my face out pretty severely so it's always just been my routine. Flannel run under a hot-as-tolerable tap/shower, scrub the face like I'm cleaning the brake dust of my alloys, then immediately splash with copious amounts of cold water.

Clean pillow-cases every day is what I'd tell teenage me if I had a time machine (in terms of skin care at least). Probably more effective than trying to use my mums St. Ives apricot facial scrub!

I looked into this and it’s a chemical sunscreen with a pretty solid ingredient list. However, chemical sunscreens seem to irritate my skin and cause a reaction.
It does mention it is eye-friendly (Reviews seem to back that up so hopefully doesn't cause any stinging or swelling) and dermatologically approved skin compatibility so it might work better than other chemical ones you have tried.

I saw the following morning routine a few months ago. You might find some products useful to you if you haven't tried them yet. Seem well-reviewed at a quick glance. It has links to the products in the video which are local to you: 7AM with Dana Salah - Savoir Flair

My most basic routine to cover all bases: Cleanser --> BHA --> spot serum/ointment --> moisturizer.

Usually that means Cerave Foaming Facial Cleaser, then a Stridex salicylic acid pad, then MelanoCC for dark spots or broken skin (popped whitehead or razor nick, for example) lil dab of bactroban if needed, then either Cetaphil oil control moisturizer with SPF for daytime, or Cerave night cream for night time. If I need to be in an office or go out somewhere nice at night I'll usually throw on some Dior matte serum to make sure I don't look shiny if I sweat a bit. The night lotion smells like total ass too (that nasty makeup pancake smell) so the Dior smells awesome and covers it.

516r6ghtxaL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
9576da73-e152-43be-97bc-969417327f20.438be678d9334ac99c22a1608b1e1f73.jpeg
71j4M52mhUL.jpg
61L-ZIKkASL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
41rqUy3OtML._AC_.jpg

giphy.gif

If I'm real grimey I'll cut the cleanser and pad and use a salicylic acid scrub instead, usually the Neutrogena grapefruit scrub. If I know I'm gonna be indoors for the whole weekend or whatever, I'll do a glycolic acid serum instead of the BHA after the cleanser. I try not to use AHA more than once a month with how crazy the sun and heat is here.

41GFquqcQRL._SX679_.jpg
I've used this Korean one (Mizon) from Amazon since it was the best deal for 8% glycolic acid that I could find. I've had it for 5 years and still not even halfway done with the bottle.

6805360XX_4pt2oz_0.jpg
Likewise, I've had this for probably more than 5 years too. It was when they put plastic beads in everything. I think now everything has large sugar crystals instead of plastics as a scrub abrasive. Kinda sucks-- definitely not the same.

My skin's pretty good though so most of the time I just hit it with the generic Zep body wash at the showers at the gym and I'm all set. :lol:

@Hollow have you tried putting on a matte or shine control serum before the chemical sunscreens? They may help keep the sunscreen out of your eyes. I have to use massive shield sunglasses when I'm on the bike because if I put sunscreen on my forehead my eyes rage and rebel as the sweat carries the chemicals into my eyes. Given you're in the UAE, you're probably also not applying frequently enough for the chemical sunscreen to remain effective. When the sun is killer here in Florida, especially on the golf course, I have to reapply like every hour or else deal with a wicked golf tan and pain from the burns for the next whole day.

I think I started all this when I first watched American Psycho :lol: I got really into the basic skincare routine when I had my bigass beard though because I wasn't going to be one of those scruffy ugly beardo guys. I kept mine majestic.

Last edited:
Like a few here. Facecloth warm/hot water and done. Occasionally I’ll use a moisturiser but that’s a rare thing.

Body wise is use an organic tea tree soap bar and a scrubber thing for the body.

I don’t use antiperspirant and very rare I use a deodoriser (I’ve had the same can of Sure for 3 years).

The least chemicals that can go on my skin the better.

Luffa? I use one of those in the shower.

I just use my hands to wash my face.
Nah, it’s one of those scrunchy things, less abrasive than a Luffa.

IMG_0561.jpeg

Those things are gross lol. Just use a washcloth that you can throw in the laundry when you're done. I like white bath linens so they can be bleached in the wash.

You can wash those scrunchy things too btw...

I wash my face with water, and from time to time XY Face Cleanser.
I use Louis Widmer Day Cream.

Last edited:
Daily
Body Shop Oils of Life Cleansing Oil-In-Gel applied and rinsed by hand then patted dry
Body Shop Oils of Life Eye Cream Gel
Body Shop Vitamic C Moisturiser (night)
Bulldog Daily Moisturiser SPF30 (day)

Weekly
Body Shop Himalayan Charcoal Clarifying Night Peel
Clearasil Rapid Action Scrub (as required)

Unfortunately the Oils of Life range has been reduced so the oil-in-gel is no longer available which means I'm on the lookout for a new daily wash.

Last edited:
Water. Cold.
About once a month i think of rubbing the shower gel into my face and once a month, if I don't forget, i use some rough soap.

I have some neurodermatitis but not on my face. I think my face is the best part of my skin.

I think eating right (which i don't do) has a much bigger impact on the skin than all these cosmetics.

The cosmetic industry to me seems to be one of the biggest and most useless scams of all. (even considering that i use one or two products for my neurodermatitis)

Edit: sorry for the direct words. I also wouldn't have thought earlier that i would once write about my skin on the internet one day (especially in a racing game forum) :lol:

Last edited:
TB
wiping-my-face-detective-elliot-stabler.gif

Like that but with more scrubbing.
scrub the face like I'm cleaning the brake dust of my alloys
Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

My most basic routine to cover all bases: Cleanser --> BHA --> spot serum/ointment --> moisturizer.

Usually that means Cerave Foaming Facial Cleaser, then a Stridex salicylic acid pad, then MelanoCC for dark spots or broken skin (popped whitehead or razor nick, for example) lil dab of bactroban if needed, then either Cetaphil oil control moisturizer with SPF for daytime, or Cerave night cream for night time. If I need to be in an office or go out somewhere nice at night I'll usually throw on some Dior matte serum to make sure I don't look shiny if I sweat a bit. The night lotion smells like total ass too (that nasty makeup pancake smell) so the Dior smells awesome and covers it.

If I'm real grimey I'll cut the cleanser and pad and use a salicylic acid scrub instead, usually the Neutrogena grapefruit scrub. If I know I'm gonna be indoors for the whole weekend or whatever, I'll do a glycolic acid serum instead of the BHA after the cleanser. I try not to use AHA more than once a month with how crazy the sun and heat is here.
I've used this Korean one (Mizon) from Amazon since it was the best deal for 8% glycolic acid that I could find. I've had it for 5 years and still not even halfway done with the bottle.

Likewise, I've had this for probably more than 5 years too. It was when they put plastic beads in everything. I think now everything has large sugar crystals instead of plastics as a scrub abrasive. Kinda sucks-- definitely not the same.

My skin's pretty good though so most of the time I just hit it with the generic Zep body wash at the showers at the gym and I'm all set. :lol:

@Hollow have you tried putting on a matte or shine control serum before the chemical sunscreens? They may help keep the sunscreen out of your eyes. I have to use massive shield sunglasses when I'm on the bike because if I put sunscreen on my forehead my eyes rage and rebel as the sweat carries the chemicals into my eyes. Given you're in the UAE, you're probably also not applying frequently enough for the chemical sunscreen to remain effective. When the sun is killer here in Florida, especially on the golf course, I have to reapply like every hour or else deal with a wicked golf tan and pain from the burns for the next whole day.

I think I started all this when I first watched American Psycho :lol: I got really into the basic skincare routine when I had my bigass beard though because I wasn't going to be one of those scruffy ugly beardo guys. I kept mine majestic.
Christian Bale Oooo GIF

That CeraVe foaming wash is one of my favorites too, definitely a holy grail product. Also, I'm a sucker for anything Dior simply because of how beautiful their products smell. Heavily perfumed serums aren't great for the skin, but I always make an exception for Dior. I sometimes find it hard to believe that some of these popular AHA toners on the market are meant for daily use, with some even recommended for twice-a-day use! I can't tolerate it more than once a week. Those plastic beads were way too abrasive, and I'm glad they're long gone. If you're ever bored and want to try something different that’s somewhat in the same realm, give Peter Thomas Roth FirmX Peeling Gel a try, very satisfying to use and gentle on the skin.

IMG_5168.jpeg

I haven't tried any shine control serums before sunscreen, I have very dry skin so I steer clear. I'm going to research and read reviews on the Dior one you mentioned earlier. :drool:
Unfortunately the Oils of Life range has been reduced so the oil-in-gel is no longer available which means I'm on the lookout for a new daily wash.
The Body Shop discontinued many of their good products, allegedly they filed for bankruptcy earlier this year. I've been recently trying out a lot of oil cleansers to effectively take off sunscreen and DHC Deep Cleansing Oil has been amazing.

IMG_5171.jpeg

I'm also trying out Beauty of Joseon Ginseng Cleansing Oil and it has been growing on me.

The cosmetic industry to me seems to be one of the biggest and most useless scams of all. (even considering that i use one or two products for my neurodermatitis).
Why do you say that?

Last edited:
My mom is into Peter Thomas Roth stuff. It's all the same for me, though I wouldn't necessarily buy them for myself because they don't list the ingredients.
The cosmetic industry to me seems to be one of the biggest and most useless scams of all. (even considering that i use one or two products for my neurodermatitis)
The derm industry should be separated from the cosmetics industry. Yes, cosmetics are 98% BS and marketing. There is a scam element to charging $100 for some botanical witchcraft that is essentially the same blend of active ingredients that you'll find for $5 at your local drugstore.

Finally about to order a red light mask and see what the hype is all about. Looking forward to looking like a burglar 30 minutes before bed every night. Might come in handy for Halloween too actually.

IMG_5197.jpeg

Reminds me of the North Korean villain in a very mediocre Bond film. That surfing scene was atrocious.

Speaking of skin care… I have little care for my skin unfortunately. (Post from the pics thread)
IMG_0281_Original.jpeg

Literally cooked. All while trying to take care of my health by cycling a push iron. It’s just now started to blister.

Thankfully I have bucket loads of natural aloe and I’m so used to getting burnt I consider it a minor irritation rather than a serious wound. Skin cancer here I come.

According to the hype, how is that supposed to work, or what does it achieve?
The process behind it is that red light penetrates the dermis, which then triggers reactions on a cellular level, mainly in the mitochondria, the powerhouse of the cell (this info from school finally coming in handy), which then helps with cellular respiration.

When the mitochondria absorb the right amount of light, they produce adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which provides energy for cell functions like healing, growth, and repair. Healing starts when the right amount of light is absorbed and continues as more is taken in. This entire process is commonly known as photobiomodulation.

Though too much light can reverse the benefits and cause more harm than good.

Red light therapy often combines red and infrared light. Red light is good for anti-aging, collagen production, improving skin texture, minimizing age spots, pain relief, arthritis, and hair growth. Infrared goes deeper and helps with pain, inflammation, healing fractures, brain function, and other areas still being researched.

Is it effective? There’s no concrete evidence yet, multiple conflicting studies about it. Phototherapy is not a new concept though, and has been used quite a lot in the world of medicine.

Last edited:
The process behind it is that red light penetrates the dermis, which then triggers reactions on a cellular level, mainly in the mitochondria, the powerhouse of the cell (this info from school finally coming in handy), which then helps with cellular respiration.

When the mitochondria absorb the right amount of light, they produce adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which provides energy for cell functions like healing, growth, and repair. Healing starts when the right amount of light is absorbed and continues as more is taken in. This entire process is commonly known as photobiomodulation.

Though too much light can reverse the benefits and cause more harm than good.

Red light therapy often combines red and infrared light. Red light is good for anti-aging, collagen production, improving skin texture, minimizing age spots, pain relief, arthritis, and hair growth. Infrared goes deeper and helps with pain, inflammation, healing fractures, brain function, and other areas still being researched.

Is it effective? There’s no concrete evidence yet, multiple conflicting studies about it. Phototherapy is not a new concept though, and has been used quite a lot in the world of medicine.
You now have, as you said, your mask for Halloween. You just need to find the rest of the theme for whatever costume you go with.

You know there are plenty of fish tanks across the land that will happily let the fish chew off your old skin and rejuvenate your new skin.

Back