Sleepers

• Thread starter turboash78
  • 185 comments
Naturally, aesthetics are purely opinion and we all have one. Personally, I think a 1st generation SHO with a police grill and a nice set of rims just looks mean. I think a strong case could be made for that car looking better than a hole pile of other cars out there, like a bug eyed 00-02 WRX :crazy: :D

It's also interesting to note that, when the Taurus first came out in 1986 it was considered a design revolution and sent the other automakers back to the drawing board. In a time when everything still had a box shape, here was this handsomely rounded sedan. Too bad Ford then decided to stick with the same basic design for TEN years. Any design would get old after 10 years, unless your car has a little yellow badge with a prancing horse on it. And it certainly didn't help that Ford whored out the Taurus line to rental car companies.

Anyway, this is a thread on sleepers, not SHOs. Just wanted to offer my .02 👍

I've heard & read about the turbo Grand Prixs, never seen one but I'd like to. I'm also dying to find a 1992 Lumina Z34 with a 5-speed manual. I'm not too hip to the looks of the Lumina, and the dash layout in those cars is awful, but I'd really like to see how well they run with the 5-speed. They were uber rare though.

Here's another one: 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 limited. It wasn't a sport or performance model, just a Grand Cherokee with a 5.9 V8 but it hauled serious booty. Low 15's in the 1/4... and it looked the same as any other Grand Cherokee.

If your talking about sleepers as they came out of the factory then the Saab 9000 Aero has to in the list.

aero96.jpg

Looks like any old Saab 9000 really, only the alloys really give anything away, but do they give away 0-60 6.5 (manual) top speed 149 mph, and I've heard quicker 40-70 than a Porsche

You got that engine looking so nice, what did you use to clean the aluminum intake manifold like that?

...Ahhh yes, the knock-off 442s...

What a great time the late '80s and early '90s was for the American automakers to ruin classic nameplates with cars with absolutely no relation to the great cars that preceeded them. Sure, the ol' 442 was a quick(ish) one, but it just isnt the same thing. Anyone remember the Shadows that were called Dusters from the era that had the big Carvan V6's? Now THAT was a funny "sleeper" that got some silly press coverage from the Automotive magazines back then...

284034_185.jpg

Back