Sleepers

• Thread starter turboash78
  • 185 comments
I would say so, the LS is pretty freakin fast I must say. But I think the Mark 7 and 8 would be better sleepers.

Mark 8's are about as fast as a LS1 GTO.

Mark 7's are a little slower, but they aren't slouches by any means.

I he tore the studebakers All down to the frame & started from the frame putting it together.... yes, yes he did otherwise--no
Hey that guy bought a supercharger for 250$! & it worked! the other 1450$ or so he spent was probabley more than needed, but what can you do.
it's to much because you don't neeeed an Intercooler-- many cars in the past have come without intercoolers stock----a.k.a. 1989 Dodge Daytona 2.2L Turbo--not the Iroc
second off metal pipe & brackets to connect a supercharger shouldnt cost 1450$ unless you're paying someone else...why is it so hard for people to realize that you can get things cheaper than big name brands? is it because they already spent lots of money on one & to admit that would be saying they are fools? there's nothing wrong with paying 5K for a supercharger kit....it'll be easy & smooth & work great--possibly with a warranty---but to say that you can't get one for cheaper than youve heard about is really ignorant

LeadSlead#2
Hey that guy bought a supercharger for 250$! & it worked! the other 1450$ or so he spent was probabley more than needed, but what can you do.
it's to much because you don't neeeed an Intercooler-- many cars in the past have come without intercoolers stock----a.k.a. 1989 Dodge Daytona 2.2L Turbo--not the Iroc
second off metal pipe & brackets to connect a supercharger shouldnt cost 1450$ unless you're paying someone else...why is it so hard for people to realize that you can get things cheaper than big name brands?
Yeah, I looked at the thread again and realized he rolled some exhaust/transission upgrades into that figure, so I guess they aren't really part of the total cost. The big ticket items were the custom bracketry that he had to have machined, so I guess the overall cost was about $1000.

No intercooler is fine with low compression, but on an engine that was originally built for no boost, your going to run into some detonation at anything over 3-5 psi (maybe less)..alky/water injection is an option, you might be able to rig that up for about $150-$200 (kits are about $300).

LeadSlead#2
....but to say that you can't get one for cheaper than youve heard about is really ignorant
There is a difference between gathering junk parts together and pieceing together a scruffy SC system, and actually buying parts that are made for the car. And, sure, you can run without an intercooler. But, you can't run as much boost that way, so whats the point. Thats the point of an IC. Not just to sound cool and say you have one. They cool the intake charge so you can run more boost that you'd be able to without. And, boost is the whole point of a SC setup.

I don't doubt that you could find old parts in a scrap yard and piece something together. But, with modern cars and electronics, you don't just go slapping random parts on your car and have a lot of power. Like was said before, if it was that easy to get so much power, we'd all be doing it. But, its not, so we don't.

Hilg

1989therat
my 2001 Silverado LS standard cab with the 5.3L V8. I have done the following to it.
Cold air intake +25hp +20lb ft
3 turbonators +50hp +45lb ft
Muffler +5 hp +5lb ft
CPU reflash +10hp +15lb ft (98mph governor is now gone :))
Total HP to date= roughly 390hp.
1/8mile = 9.3@72mph

And for another 1500 dollars. I can get my mechanic to build my engine to produce over 750HP. With no body modifications. LOL. I already outrun brand new Mustang GT's. Imagine a 750hp Silverado. SLEEPER :)
Nevermind I thought it said 1/4 mile 9.3@72mph

Sure its possible. Say a 6 second car is on a good run. Something happens, and they're hard on the brakes after half track. Other car gets out of shape, or whatever. You get hard on the brakes, and then cross the line. Time is still fast-ish, but your speed has just now dropped considerably. Might not get to quite that low of a speed, but it could get close. Thats obviously a rare, weird circumstance. But you can see how it COULD happen. As the saying goes...

Possible, but not probable.

Hilg

Ya, I suppose if they had a KILLER run going, then slammed on the brakes as they passed the trap, but who the hell would do that?

turboash78
Ya, I suppose if they had a KILLER run going, then slammed on the brakes as they passed the trap, but who the hell would do that?
As I said, it would hardly ever happen. But, as I also said, what if the other car your racing is out to a lead, and gets out of shape, and comes into your lane??? Only thing for you to do is slam on the binders. It would have to be a real extreme, rare circumstance, but a time like that could happen.

Hilg

Young_Warrior
I think drag racing is stupid. Where does driver skill come into it and basically as soon as you look under the hood you will know which one will win.
omg, you dont know much i have to say. its very hard to drive high classes of dragracing because its such a big amaount of power! the car doesnt go straight and you need to drive where its maximum grip. well in lower classes though it depends on the car only.

Really. So driver skill has nothing to do with drag racing? So I guess if you had 2 of the same car, nobody would win and it would be a tie because it depends on the car only. :rolleyes:

I like sleeper's because thay are stealthy and no one know's what your running under the hood so if you are called out when you win the shock on there face's is so much greater because they figured you car was stock. :scared: Until you pop the hood that is... :)

1989therat
my 2001 Silverado LS standard cab with the 5.3L V8. I have done the following to it.
Cold air intake +25hp +20lb ft
3 turbonators +50hp +45lb ft
Muffler +5 hp +5lb ft
CPU reflash +10hp +15lb ft (98mph governor is now gone :))
Total HP to date= roughly 390hp.
1/8mile = 9.3@72mph

And for another 1500 dollars. I can get my mechanic to build my engine to produce over 750HP. With no body modifications. LOL. I already outrun brand new Mustang GT's. Imagine a 750hp Silverado. SLEEPER :)

Imagine if your car were real. :eek:

194GVan
Really. So driver skill has nothing to do with drag racing? So I guess if you had 2 of the same car, nobody would win and it would be a tie because it depends on the car only. :rolleyes:

You know what I mean. The winner of that outcome would be the person who put their foot down first. Doesnt take much skill really other than sharp reflexes.

PuTTe_TuTTe
omg, you dont know much i have to say. its very hard to drive high classes of dragracing because its such a big amaount of power! the car doesnt go straight and you need to drive where its maximum grip. well in lower classes though it depends on the car only.

Yeah I understand pros require skill but your average joey and his car well.........

Young_Warrior
You know what I mean. The winner of that outcome would be the person who put their foot down first. Doesnt take much skill really other than sharp reflexes.
Yea I know, Im just trying to say that some people drive better than others, plain and simple, not necessarily that their foot was put down first (well maybe if it was an automatic that would be the case)

Our daily driver (a 1994 Plymouth Acclaim sedan) pretty much IS a sleeper. It's fast as hell thanks to the fact that the previous owner stuck a supercharger on the engine (not quite sure about the exact number, but we suspect it has more than 300 bhp), and handles pretty nicely for a FWD sedan.

I bet it's quite the sleeper.

Which reminds me,
Dodge Spirit R/T
front.jpg

And those insane 2.2 turbo minivans.

barryl85

That just made my evening. :) 👍

However, I'd rather see something like that done with...well, just about any other BMW. An E36 sedan isn't really one of my favorites...maybe an E30 instead (though I'm not sure whether the drivetrain could take it...? :indiff: ), or a 5er, like an E34 or E39? An E24 6er would be bada**, but it would start to mess with the whole sleeper look... :D

I have an idea, how about a 1500hp 80psi turbo M10 in an E30...80's Formula-1-style... :cool:

Hmm, maybe I should turbo my M10... :mischievous:

well i drive a 99 buick lesabre with a supercharged 3.8. its not terribly fast; i think the internet rates it somewhere between 240 - 260hp; but its faster than initially taken for. then again its a grandma car, its not meant to be drivin fast and i dont plan on takin any mustangs to the line in the future.

Wolfe2x7
That just made my evening. :) 👍

However, I'd rather see something like that done with...well, just about any other BMW. An E36 sedan isn't really one of my favorites...maybe an E30 instead (though I'm not sure whether the drivetrain could take it...? :indiff: ), or a 5er, like an E34 or E39? An E24 6er would be bada**, but it would start to mess with the whole sleeper look... :D

I have an idea, how about a 1500hp 80psi turbo M10 in an E30...80's Formula-1-style... :cool:

Hmm, maybe I should turbo my M10... :mischievous:

Yeah i think the M10 would be a killer if it were turbocharged in the same way as this guys E36!

On that web-page if you go to the home page, there is video's of their 1,100hp E36 - think its the newer shape than that though!

heres one of the race screens

e364ic.png

Ha ha the guy in the modena backs right off after thinking it was an ordinary BMW

JNasty4G63
Wow, I missed a lot of crap in this thread in the couple days I was gone. HA HA HA

Come on Blazin, wake up man. EVERYONE knows that you can build your own supercharger at home. DUH!! I built the turbo in my car, from scratch, for about $80 with leftover scrap from various jobs around the house. HA HA HA This guy can't be serious, is he???? HA HA

Hilg

Now you can build a supercharger for $80 :lol: :scared:

http://www.esuperchargers.com/

Back