Sleepers

• Thread starter turboash78
  • 185 comments
McLaren F1GTR
BMWs? Audis? My ass they're sleepers.

Their models all have an exterior and a background (and price tag) to match their horsepower.

Not say if you get a B6 audi a4 2.0T debadged for all people know it could be a crappy 1.6.

iceburns288
http://www.turbonator.com/

You mean, you actually put those...things... on your truck? And expect it to have 400hp? :lol:!

A great sleeper is a debadged E60 M5, an enthusiast can spot it but no one else could! :)

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!
You actually payed for one of those pice of s*** things. Just look at the website its looks as if it was made by a 12 year old and if you read this...

"The Turbonator is much less expensive and more efficient than any turbocharger, superchargerblower, or intercooler., "

Now turbo's and superchargers are kinda in the same group but a intercooler!!!!!!!

That alone should give it away to any one with a half a idea of how cars work.

Ok the best sleeper i have seen, was a guy i knew who was a friend of a friend he had a Vauxhaul Corsa B like this one except in red;

25ai.jpg

And he put a 2.0ltr Red Top engine from a Vauxhall Cavalier GSI 2000-

Think it has around 150-170Bhp and it looks completely standard with steel wheels, black bumpers, fading paint and the famous 'Life' model badge on the side and the 1.2 8v badge at the back.

I've never been in it personally, but he claims to have done 140mph but wouldnt take it further as the car was uneasy. he also told me about a few looks he's had from some people in 1.2's trying to keep up.

May not be the fastest sleeper but it is a shock if you had to see that fly past!!

His other two cars aren't bad either - he has a 2.5ltr Turbo Subaru Impreza WRX wagon (engine was swapped from a Legacy) and he has a Ford Sierra 4x4, Dont know the mods except for NOS i'm sure theres more done to it though- and he still has the shell of his GSI 2000.

Dodge Omni GLH

The second car Shelby focused on was the Omni. First released in 84, it was called the Omni GLH. The story of its name is loosely as follows: the car was seen as competing with Volkswagen's souped-up Rabbit, the GTI. A Chrysler executive therefore came up with an appropriate name for the hotrod Omni: the Coyote. After all, coyotes eat rabbits, right? Well, this name was rejected. The designers were then asking themselves what they should call it. Shelby offered that it should be called the GLH "because it goes like hell." When the corporate leaders were shocked to hear his proposed name, he answered "who's gonna know?" The moniker stuck all the way to production.

The pedestrian Omni and Charger are based on the same platform and are almost completely identical mechanically; thus the GLH was nearly identical to the Shelby Charger as far as all hardware was concerned. All of the Shelby Charger's suspension and brake upgrades were carried over, and the GLH also wore 195/50 tires on the same 4-lug aluminum "swiss cheese" wheels (seen below). All 84 GLHs received the identical high output carbureted 2.2 making the same 110 hp along with the same, 3.87:1 final-drive 5-speed transmission. Due to its slightly reduced weight and its reduced aerodynamics, the GLH hit 60 in only 8.7, turned a 16.7 ET at 81 mph, but topped out at 106 mph.

A significant difference was seen elsewhere... literally. Unlike the Shelby Charger, the GLH used a standard Omni interior and had a monochrome paint job. (Exterior colors were initially limited to Black, Gold Dust, Graphic Red, and Radiant Silver. However, it seems that late in the model year another color was introduced: Santa Fe Blue.) Because the GLH was not as attention-grabbing, this car became a sleeper on the street; you had to look closely to notice its integrated driving lights, the discreet GLH decals, or the blacked-out trim (note the picture below). GLH production for 1984 was 3,285 cars; I do not have information to break this total down color by color.

Big news for the 85 model year was the same turbomotor seen in the Shelby Charger. Note that it was optional in the GLH; the high-output carburated engine (along with its lower-geared transmission) remained standard equipment. The turbocharged engine produced the same 146 hp as in the Shelby Charger, and was backed by the same taller-geared (3.56:1) 5-speed transmission. The new 5-lug aluminum "pizza" wheels (Seen on the car below) were installed, also like on the 85 Shelby Charger, but an important distinction is that the GLH still wore 195/50s, even with the turbo engine. When so equipped, the turbocharged engine pushed the GLH from 0-60 in 7.5 seconds and through the quarter in 15.8 seconds at 87 mph; top speed was up to 119 mph.

Also new that year were black side skirts and a black airdam; they were part of the GLH Performance package and were thus featured on all GLH cars, carbed or turbo. The driving lights were now integrated into the airdam. Santa Fe Blue was now a color choice for the entire model year (only GLH Omnis could get this color). Still, the GLH remained a stealth machine on the street. GLH production in 85 was 6,513 cars: 3,004 carburated and 3,509 GLH Turbos. Of all 6,513 cars, 1,269 were painted Santa Fe Blue; I have no other color-by-color info.

1986 would be the last year for the GLH. As such, the car was completely carryover; the third brakelight being grafted onto the hatch (as required by the then-new federal regulation) was the only change. The 2-bbl was still standard, and the turbo was still optional. Production for the 1986 year was 3,129 cars: 882 carburated and 2,247 GLH Turbos. Of these 3,129 cars, 824 were Santa Fe Blue.

Attachments

• Dodge Omni GLH.jpg
    Dodge Omni GLH.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 33
I feel special.
I'm just about the only one here who understands that a good sleeper is supposed to have good power (at least) stock. anyway, anyone ever heard of a 1990-91 Oldsmobile Calais? how about the Quad 442? 2.3L DOHC High Output 4Cyl with 190HP Stock-- Runs A 14.6 @ 95MPH in the 1/4--Stock---this was faster than ANY (and don't argue cause you'll be wrong no matter what your friend told you) Camaro, Mustang Firebird, Civic, integra or whatever else you can think about back then, well heck I guess It'll probly beat the pants of most FF imports today worldwide maybe a brand new Type R with a Good driver......... maybe.......I know the proud of a 98 Integra type R wasn't very happy when he got a spanking & he had exhaust, & Intake, & a chip i think mainly cause he paid 12000$$$ to get his super race car imported over here--well life sucks & this oldsmobile hauls @$$

LeadSlead#2
I feel special.
I'm just about the only one here who understands that a good sleeper is supposed to have good power (at least) stock.
Keep feeling special, because you might be the only person that thinks that.

The two cars I mentioned were both stock cars with good power, but I don't by agree with what you said at any point. You can make a sleeper, and a sleeper is the opposite of a show car.

the only problem with engine swaps & modding cars to make them sleepers is that you can do that to ANY car in the world therefore,..... So? you made it fast & that is cool,... but when your customizing it that much It just kinda deflates it cause, like I said, that can be done to ANY car in the world-- even a Corvette can be a sleeper than-- just only to say, an Enzo or Mercedes SLR or cars of that nature

also Exige, I'm not sure exactly all what you listed, but if it was just the lotus & volvo then I wasnt referring to you-- I'm talking about people putting LS1's in van's & such
by the way wouldnt people wonder about a van that sounds like a camaro? I certainly would

TwinTurboJay
Dodge Omni GLH
1986 would be the last year for the GLH. As such, the car was completely carryover; the third brakelight being grafted onto the hatch (as required by the then-new federal regulation) was the only change. The 2-bbl was still standard, and the turbo was still optional. Production for the 1986 year was 3,129 cars: 882 carburated and 2,247 GLH Turbos. Of these 3,129 cars, 824 were Santa Fe Blue.

I own an '86 :)

boostleeglh4qk.jpg

^^ So whats it like to drive? I'd think it would be a blast if everything were still working as it should (engine and susp wise).
I found a GLHS on Ebay about a year ago... stupid school... stupid no money...

turboash78
My favourite sleeper has to be the '86 Omni GLHS.
wow alot of mopar turbo fans in here. I was thinking the GLHS at first, although I think the Spirit R/T is even more of a sleeper.

LeadSlead#2
the only problem with engine swaps & modding cars to make them sleepers is that you can do that to ANY car in the world therefore,..... So? you made it fast & that is cool,... but when your customizing it that much It just kinda deflates it cause, like I said, that can be done to ANY car in the world-- even a Corvette can be a sleeper than-- just only to say, an Enzo or Mercedes SLR or cars of that nature
But a sleeper is when you take a car that doesn't look so good and drop a btter engine or tun it heavily. But a corvette is seen as fast to a point. Okay, you could take it up a level and leave it looking the same but people will still think nice car without even seeing under the hood.

Say you took a Ford Fiesta and put something bigger under the bonnet and didn't giove it any ST or Zetec treatment then that would be a sleeper.

LeadSlead#2
also Exige, I'm not sure exactly all what you listed, but if it was just the lotus & volvo then I wasnt referring to you-- I'm talking about people putting LS1's in van's & such
by the way wouldnt people wonder about a van that sounds like a camaro? I certainly would
An LS1 in a van IS a sleeper, that is if you leave it again untouched on the outside. It also adds to the course if you put a quieter exhaust on it.

And even if they do think 'that an sounds like a camaro' I still doubt they expect it to perform like a camaro.

Sleeper ? Or the Sleeper ?

( I apologize, couldn't help it ! )

Attachments

• sleeper1.jpg
    sleeper1.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Sleeper2.jpg
    Sleeper2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 22
I think the 1989-1990 Mopar Turbo Minivans are the ultimate sleeper.

Reasoning:

-Its a minivan
-High potential for power from the factory
-No engine swap needed
-Makes great power with basic turbo and engine mods
-Still sounds like a minivan
-I have a fake Little League Soccer decal in the rear window of mine and people think I'm a soccer dad and I don't even have kids
-I got my van from my mom for $100, $4000 later my van is running high 12's

Boost Lee
I own an '86 :)

boostleeglh4qk.jpg

Great sleeper car ! Man, I love those cars..its so quirkey. I use to drive my buddies, soooo much fun. You step no it, and wait.........wait...........wait.........then all of a sudden, SCREEEEEECh the front tires light up like crazy !

slimer90210
I think the 1989-1990 Mopar Turbo Minivans are the ultimate sleeper.

Reasoning:

-Its a minivan
-High potential for power from the factory
-No engine swap needed
-Makes great power with basic turbo and engine mods
-Still sounds like a minivan
-I have a fake Little League Soccer decal in the rear window of mine and people think I'm a soccer dad and I don't even have kids
-I got my van from my mom for $100, $4000 later my van is running high 12's

Dude, thats very impressive ! :eek:

turboash78
^^ So whats it like to drive? I'd think it would be a blast if everything were still working as it should (engine and susp wise).
I found a GLHS on Ebay about a year ago... stupid school... stupid no money...

When I purchased the car it had a couple things done, intake - 3" exhaust - computer - mopar performance springs / kyb shocks. I added a boost controller, 110oct. race gas, and gutted the interior - engine bay.

It doesn't feel like you are driving a 1980's piece of ****. The handling is nothing short of amazing, (coming from a former 3rd gen RX-7 owner) it out accelerates an intake/exhaust/boost controller Evo 8 by 1-2 car lengths until 100 mph, the only thing I do not like are the brakes, and girls completely hate it.
laugh7ew.gif

The stock motor started to eat itself earlier this year during a race against an SRT-4. I have a built motor ready to be dropped in, but have been sidetracked by my other car - '94 Talon awd. If you ever get a chance to drive a GLH-Turbo in good mechanical condition, you will love it.

Good call on the Spirit R/T. Pretty much any of those 2.2 turbos from Chr could be considered sleeperish (I'm pretty sure thats a word :lol:).

TwinTurboJay
Hey YW, go spend $4100 on the best thing you can find, then race him....I bet you $500 american you can't even come close !
At first I thought you had me. But then I thought of this.

I can pick up a stripped out mini for £50 and then use the rest of the moneyto make it do 0-60 in 3.25 secs and top out at 110mph. standing quarter at a high 11. I cant find the website that does this mod right now however.

arent we all forgetting that 4100$ is not really true-- he bought it from his Mom--okay?
100$ is not a reasonable price & no one else will get one for that. so lets talk blue book value at least shall we? if not we can go into a 4 week argument about what my brother sells his 93' Firebird to me for 1$ and I supercharge it and put some slicks on? I bet for 100$ as a starting point we can name just about any car in the world and it will haul @$$ for that price then

1989therat shouldnt feel to bad guys because it's highly likely the intake did give him 15 at the wheels & the muffler probly gave him more than 5 probly 10-15 the chip undoubtedly is good for 15(if it's hypertech) so as long as the 3 turbonators arents turbonating his intake flow to bad he probabley does have about 350HP now if it wasnt a slab of concrete on wheels,........

yea but look how old those vans are. you arent going to have to spend over a couple hundred to get one anyways. The fastest one Ive seen on the net is a 12.65 1/4 mile, and he bought the van originally for $800, and you can read all about it and its mods here -> http://www.turbovan.net/van.html

I have to agree, a turbo caravan is the ultimate sleeper. Its a vehicle not designed for speed, it looks dorky and slow, and in the right hands can slaughter almost anything on the road.

Back