Sleepers

• Thread starter turboash78
  • 185 comments
Actually my mechanic has a 4.8L silverado which he spent 1200 dollars on and it has 600hp. Don't underestimate the Vortec engine. Especially the 5.3L and I could outrun any 99-2004 Mustang GT when the truck was stock. The damn thing stock hit 60mph in 6 seconds flat.If you don't believe me meet me at a drag strip.

Vid of truck B4 mods

^ No way that's stock, I have the same engine in my truck and it doesn't sound ANYTHING like that. I haven't tried full acceleration on it (I'm not an idiot) but I'm sure it's not as fast as a Mustang GT.

1989therat
Actually my mechanic has a 4.8L silverado which he spent 1200 dollars on and it has 600hp. Don't underestimate the Vortec engine. Especially the 5.3L and I could outrun any 99-2004 Mustang GT when the truck was stock. The damn thing stock hit 60mph in 6 seconds flat.If you don't believe me meet me at a drag strip.
The 5.3 can put out 600 hp, I'll give you that, but not for $1200 (unless you wave bye-bye to your pistons and hit it with nitrous).

If you can find a 500 dollar supercharger that gives you a 100 horsepower I will have your babies.

A latest favorite: Arden XJR A8S9.
Stock exterior.
6SP Manual conversion.
540hp.
Badged as an XJ6.
Built off of '98-'03 XJR.
Price: $55k-ish; includes an average '98 XJR

this guy is bs, im 110% positive that truck cannot smoke a '99-'04 manual mustang gt, an auto mustang gt it would be close, most likely a drivers race.
my brother walked an automatic 350z, but if it was a manual, it would been over for the silverado.
my bros truck: '04 5.3 silverado z71, only mods are bigger tires. 17'' chrome wheels.

img00396ga.jpg

E55Power
A latest favorite: Arden XJR A8S9.
Stock exterior.
6SP Manual conversion.
540hp.
Badged as an XJ6.
Built off of '98-'03 XJR.
Price: $55k-ish; includes an average '98 XJR

Um...they'll still see it a mile away...

It's not a sleeper if it's a Jag against Mustang GT's and riced out Japanese cars in your average drag race. :sly:

Unless you live in a gated community and they hold races there.

1989therat
nitrous sounds good...1000 dollars=500hp. 500 bucks for a cheap supercharger=600+
You're forgetting that you can't just "slap on" a cheap supercharger. You need a intercooler, fuel injectors (which are surprisingly expensive), remapped injector program, etc...

I am aware that these trucks are fast. Hell, I've seen a 5.3 truck that runs 10's in the 1/4. But not for $1200, no way.

LeadSlead#2
arent we all forgetting that 4100$ is not really true-- he bought it from his Mom--okay?
100$ is not a reasonable price & no one else will get one for that. so lets talk blue book value at least shall we?

Good point and good suggestion. Our van was in alot better condition then the ones yhou can get at the junk yard for $100. I had done all the mantenance work on it since mom bought it new. The only reason I got it for $100 was the fact that it had about 150,000 miles on it and no one else wanted a 10 year old van with that many miles so mom sold it to me cheap.

Most other turbo minivans in out area at that time were selling for about $1000 to $1200

I sure someones ready to have babies! a good mechanic can easily get a supercharger, install it himself, & simply not use an intercooler---and get 100 HP out of a Chevy V8 along with bigger injectors & a Power programmerto put a vortec engine to 4-500 hp for 1200$ you'll just need to do all the work yourself & shop around junkyards a lot & such

You realize superchargers are thousands of dollars right? There is no way on God's green earth you are going to find a fuctional supercharger for 500 bucks. It's not hard to put a superchrager in, I've done it on an S-10 before, but the kit was 5000 bucks new. The lowest I've seen them used for is 2000 and that was with a slightly F'ed up superchrager.

The Hypertech Power Programer add maybe 10-15hp, those things are a joke. On an S-10 they added 3hp that was dyno proving by a guy in my truck club. 300 bucks for 3 hp! Thats 100 bucks per horse power...at that rate you are going to spend a left kidney to make that truck run right.

Injectors are pricey and they won't give you an 80-90hp gain. Trust me on this one.

Plus a lot of GM's truck engines are out dated. I love the company I work for but there are flaws and I will point them out. The most bang for the buck on a Chevy truck is to get an exhaust system, new Y-pipe (get under a truck and look at how sh@#$ty they are), a FIPK kit, and an electric fan. With this you are looking at about a 1000 bucks. Exhaust system: $300 (I'm going cheap), Y-pipe: $150, FIPK: $300, Electric fan: $300....$1050.

The exhaust will free up about 10 whp, the Y-pipe about 7whp, the FIPK about 5whp, and the fan about 5whp....bring the total to 27 extra ponies and about 50 lb.ft. You have to remember what the box says and what happens are two very different things.

blazin, what about in intake?
im thinking of getting my bro an intake, or maybe if there is a CAI get him one of those for xmas or his bday.
is it worth it? are there better alrenatives?
im thinking of a chip too, gives better gas mileage and more hp/tq, but is that bs?

im always telling my bro to put some hp mods on his truck, it would be nice knowing it has a little more power than stock.

Intake gives nice suckin sound but I doubt you will see anyhting over 3hp gain. A chip well that could a variance in gain depending on how its programmed but alot of people saying chips are BS and they they are worse for the engine in the long run and fuel economy actually goes down.

svtsnake
blazin, what about in intake?
im thinking of getting my bro an intake, or maybe if there is a CAI get him one of those for xmas or his bday.
is it worth it? are there better alrenatives?
im thinking of a chip too, gives better gas mileage and more hp/tq, but is that bs?

im always telling my bro to put some hp mods on his truck, it would be nice knowing it has a little more power than stock.

The FIPK is an intake kit made by K&N, however the Brute Force intake from AEM is proving to give more power. But you are looking at about 5 wheel hp gain from an intake and about 15hp in the motor. But you will get a cool sound, and slightly better mileage.

They don't make chips per say, they are programmers...which suck...unless you want to get the entire CPU reflashed with something. This typically gives you worse mileage.

turboash78
That Golf ain't too shabby either (but lose the rims...)

You may not like the wheels, but they sure cought on after he got them. He was the first to have them in the US, and the next year there were about 7-8 sets that popped up. So someone likes them.

The best sleeper? My car, duh.

Course, it's not very sleeper-ish any more now that most of the locals have seen it's power.

BlazinXtreme
You realize superchargers are thousands of dollars right? There is no way on God's green earth you are going to find a fuctional supercharger for 500 bucks. It's not hard to put a superchrager in, I've done it on an S-10 before, but the kit was 5000 bucks new. The lowest I've seen them used for is 2000 and that was with a slightly F'ed up superchrager.
And I'll back that statement up 110%.

I paid nearly $10K for a supercharger to only guarantee at least 100Hp. No way in hell, as said, will you get 100Hp out of a $500 supercharger...

hey guys, think first--speak second 1st off if your good, you can build your own supercharger--from scratch. i've seen it done on the Speed channel. it cost them less than 100$. unless you think they have there own show for nothing I don't remember what show it was so just tune in more often & you'll see neat stuff like that. 2nd off if you paid 10K for a fan in a sealed tube with a belt wheel on the outside--aka supercharger i feel pity for you, nothing else, just pity 3rd off why don't you shop around? i'm certainly NOT going to tell you where to go because that could make it one day more expensive for me but turbos & superchargers for 400-1000$ are not uncommon, whether YOU know about them or not, they do exist & you can find them

Build a supercharger for a $100, hell if you could do that, every car on the planet would be supercharged. Build me a good supercharger for a $100 and I will seriously show you my ocean front property in Arizona.

You realize supercharger kits are more then just a compressor right? You realize the supercharger need oil feeds, the pistons need to the right compression ratio, you need new injectors...hell you need a lot fo sh#$%t.

A lot of engineering goes into professionally built superchargers...do you honestly think hooking up a $100 supercharger is going to give you a ton of power, keep your engine from breaking down, and not to mention fit when you close the hood? HELL NO!

Trust me, I've thought about putting a charger on my truck before, and save for buying some weird off brand one on eBay, I'm going to pay at least $2500 for a meh one and $6000 for a good one. Plus I would have a shop install it because I would just feel better.

$400-$1000 superchargers are common on eBay, and they don't work. It's a fact.

You are seriously the most guiable person I've seen in a while around these forums if you think a $100 supercharger works. With that said, can I intrest you in my ocean front property in Arizona? It's a pretty good deal :sly:

whatever makes you happy i've seen many a supercharged car with stock internals & they worked quite fine & didn't break & as soon as I talk to my brother I'll give you links to some of the sites of these o so proud owners that laugh at guys who spend 4-10K on supercharging their cars & trucks.--think about it you spend 5K He spends 2K & both work? thats gotta be funny for him--not to mention satisfying as well. oh well good luck with all that. oh yeah I do assume you've heard of the hennessey twin turbo viper right? then I'll assume you know it gained 300+ HP & it has stock Internals! unless Motor Trend doesnt know what they are talking about either. speaking of which, what exactly IS a reliable source? a guy you know who works on cars? your buddy's friend? let me guess.......he LOVES mustang's? am I right? supercharged with 390HP!! yeah! only runs a 12.9 but who cares, it's not about going fast--it's about saying it's fast right?
P.S. your S10 (I assume you own that) doesnt have a V8 unless custom installed & therefore won't get 100HP so easy as a big ol V8

You get what you pay for, something cheap under the hood isn't going to work as good as something more expensive. Plus I would rather buy something from Eaton or Paxton over some off brand, brand names are tested.

The Viper motor is a friggen race motor to begin with, of course its going to be able to handle turbo charging. But according to the Hennessey website when you buy a twin turbo kit you get new pistons, rods, crank, etc. Sounds like new internals to me.

I have friends with supercharged cars, in fact one of my best friends has an Ion Redline. But I do know people who have put superchargers on cars, one of my buddies put one on a Intergra and he paid close to 6 grand for it. I only have one friend who owns a Mustang and its an older one with a 5.0 in it.

But I have a Blazer, not an S-10. A supercharger for it will give it about 80-100 hp depending on the set up.

im not saying it's as good--obviously you are better off with kits designed by the pros--i'm simply saying that it CAN be done---can any of us build a supercharger from scratch? no. absolutly not but there are people out there who can.
maybe we should just find the common ground that we both like GM in general & don't think japanese cars are the best in the world

Back