*SOLD* My 2004 Blue "Premium" WRX. *SOLD*

Wow that looks so much nicer. Amazing that the manufacturer thought such an ugly boxy tower was the way to go!
Thank you. I agree, I cant believe they put this lumpy pos into cars. Just a terrible, clunky design. My 2005 Impreza RS has the lower version and I love it. So when I bought the 04 WRX and hit my elbow on it right away, this was the very first thing I hated about the car. It has driven me nuts for the 10 months I have owned the car. :lol:

Last edited:
Well maybe someone that was designing it REALLY wanted storage space and they had short arms.

Id be worried about hitting my funny bone on that edge :nervous:

My dad had one in one of his MR2's that looked like this:
rearcarpet01.jpg
They are completely useless IMO

Well maybe someone that was designing it REALLY wanted storage space and they had short arms.
Probably. Still a bad design. I don't think they are offered anymore in these cars.
Id be worried about hitting my funny bone on that edge :nervous:

My dad had one in one of his MR2's that looked like this:

They are completely useless IMO
I hit my elbow on it all the time. I agree these extra tall extensions are worthless. Just my opinion.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Onto the good stuff........

Knocked out quite a bit on Saturday. Installed brand new Kartboy short throw shifter, Kartboy rear poly shifter bushings, Kartboy front poly shifter bushings, oil change, and new alternator belt. Also started detailing the inside with a tooth brush just to get everything all nice and new again. Overall everything went very well and the new Kartboy shifter setup is a night and day difference. The shifts feel almost like I installed a brand new transmission. HUGE difference. Very crisp and clean shifts. Very happy with the results. Excellent product and well worth the price for sure. I still plan to eventually replace the motor mount bushings and the transmission mount bushings with poly. Not necessary right now but I will eventually just to make it even more solid.

Also while installing this shifter, I finally found my random vibration that I thought was clutch chatter. It ended up being a couple loose bolts in the driveshaft mid shaft bearing! :eek: The company that worked on my car last year never fully installed the bolts in the driveshaft! Very lucky I found this problem! Now the vibration is gone but it could have been real bad. :scared:

Pic time.

IMG_20140503_083344.jpg

Goodies. Kartboy short throw shifter and poly bushings. Along with oil and filter.

IMG_20140503_080954.jpg

New alternator belt.

IMG_20140503_085232.jpg

Stock shifter.

IMG_20140503_101301.jpg

Old stock shifter next to new Kartboy short throw. Also the rod that holds the front and rear bushings.

IMG_20140503_100648.jpg

Stock rear rubber shifter bushing dry and rotted

IMG_20140503_113558.jpg

New Kartboy rear poly bushing installed and lubed. That bottom C clip was a nightmare to get in and out.

IMG_20140503_113905.jpg

New Kartboy front shifter bushing installed and lubed up.

IMG_20140503_113924.jpg

New front poly bushing installed and all lubed up. Different angle.

Very satisfied with the results.

Last edited:
That did not look like a fun install, but its always good when a purchase makes a nice overall experience!

I also see that we use the same oil, at lease for the subies. :lol: Ridiculous now that I think about it...I use 3 different oil manufacturers.

That did not look like a fun install, but its always good when a purchase makes a nice overall experience!

I also see that we use the same oil, at lease for the subies. :lol: Ridiculous now that I think about it...I use 3 different oil manufacturers.
Yeah that C clip gave me the most problems because this is a 5 speed transmission and the c clip is UNDER the car. The 6 speed has the C clip inside the car just under the shifter. Other than that it wasn't too bad.

I have been doing some research and found more goodies I want to purchase for the WRX to make it even better. :D

1. Kartboy Poly transmission cross member bushings
2. Poly transmission mount
3. Kartboy Pitch Stop mount

I will probably buy the cross member bushings first since they are the cheapest. The pitch stop mount I am sure would make the largest improvement. However the transmission mount would also help a lot. The goal is to eventually have ALL polyurethane bushings in place of the stock rubber bushings.

Last edited:
Looks good. Good mods done = well done 👍
Ty :)

EDIT: I just ordered:

• STI Group N poly motor mounts.
  • STI Group N poly Pitch stop mount.
  • Group N poly transmission mount.
  • Kartboy poly crossmember bushings.

This should help improve some of the engine rocking, bucking, and any extra drivetrain movement. :)

Last edited:
I forgot to post these pics over the weekend.

I had a couple little chips and light scratches in my headlight so I decided to wet sand by hand with 2,000 grit wet sandpaper. Then buffed by hand with the 3m rubbing polish compound I am always talking about. The results will speak for themselves. :D Only took a few minutes. Also sanded and polished my rear stainless steel tail pipe. I use this compound on the ENTIRE car. Been using it for many years for gauges, headlights, tail lights, plastic, glass, and especially the clear coat.

IMG_20140510_184503.jpg

IMG_20140510_184434.jpg

Little water and 2,000 grit sandpaper.
IMG_20140510_184516.jpg
IMG_20140510_183729.jpg

This is after it has been sanded. Only took a couple minutes by hand.

IMG_20140510_185609.jpg

After polished by hand with the 3m compound.
IMG_20140510_185242.jpg

Another angle after polished.
IMG_20140510_185644.jpg

One more angle.

IMG_20140510_191135.jpg

Muffler and rear dull bumper before polish...Lots of carbon build up from previous owners.

IMG_20140511_141857.jpg

After polished by hand.
IMG_20140511_141852.jpg

After another angle.

Last edited:
Where is it sold? I swear I have never seen it until now.
Unless you are a professional painter or detailer, most wont know about this product. This is what many professional paint companies use after they have painted a car, then wet sanded it with 2,000-3,000 grit wet sandpaper. This is the final cut / polish that makes a car even more shiny than from the factory. This last step removes ALL factory orange peel. EVERY car comes from the factory with orange peel texture in the paint, this final step creates the ULTIMATE paint finish flat as glass. I do this to every car I own. BUT you have to be VERY careful. I personally would only recommend this 3m product to polish your existing paint. Only use this product to polish your existing paint, plastic, gauges, and clear coat.
Do not wet sand your car if you don't have experience!

I purchased it years ago from a local paint shop back when I was professionally painting cars on a regular basis. Its called 3M Perfect It 3 Rubbing Compound. This link has a very similar product on Amazon.com but I would check with your local paint stores. They will have something very similar. It is usually about $23.00 and will last a lifetime. I have had this bottle at least 10 years and have finished more cars than I can remember with this 1 bottle. This will remove all small scratches, water spots, tar and grease from your paint and give it a very glossy finish. I would not wet sand your paint unless you have experience.

Last edited:
My motor mount bushings, trans mount bushings, cross member bushings, and pitch stop all came in but I have not had a chance to install them yet. I will give another update when those are installed. I have also been experimenting with different wax. Really happy with the squirt Mcquires wax. Very easy to apply and easy to remove.

Painted my garage floor over the Memorial weekend and very happy with the results. Just now started parking on it and decided to get some pics. Its crazy how much the WRX paint job changes on this car with all the pearl. Sometimes its bright blue, sometimes dark blue, sometimes purple. Constantly changing.

IMG_20140602_175326.jpg
IMG_20140602_175126.jpg
IMG_20140602_175335.jpg
IMG_20140602_175137.jpg
IMG_20140602_175110.jpg

Last edited:
Finally installed the new Poly Kartboy bushings and the new Group N poly transmission mount. The stock transmission mount was very wore out. Felt squishy like bubble gum. Only took about an hour and this improved the engine/transmission shaking by about 20%. Very happy with the results.

I looked at the stock motor mounts and they are trashed. So the other 80% I need to stop the engine shaking "bucking" is the motor mounts for sure. I was going to replace the motor mounts myself but honestly it would be a pain. There is a specific bolt on each side that is a nightmare to get to. So I am going to pay the local Dealer to install the Group N motor mounts I bought. They will also install the new STI Group N pitch stop mount I bought since they have to remove the stock pitch stop mount anyway. They are only going to charge me $150.00 labor. So I am very happy with that price. I have the appointment set up for next Saturday the 21st. Really looking forward to the motor mount install. It should fix the shaking 100%.

Pics.

IMG_20140614_080645.jpg

Stock transmission mount and crossmember bushings

IMG_20140614_080716.jpg

Old transmission mount. Closer view

IMG_20140614_085736.jpg

Old and new parts

IMG_20140614_093055.jpg

Re-assembled with new Kartboy cross member bushings and greased.

IMG_20140614_085746.jpg

New Group N Transmission mount on top. Old stock on bottom. HUGE difference.

IMG_20140614_091105.jpg

New Group N transmission mount installed

IMG_20140614_091055.jpg

Last picture I took before the full re-assembly of the crossmember.

Looking good man! Always inspiring.
Ty. :)

It has been exactly 1 year since I purchased this 04 WRX. Figured I would give my overall feedback. All the upgrades and improvements are listed in the first post of this thread.

Purchased car with only 3 working cylinders to find out later it was a simple fuel injector plug that was off. Previous owners were a bit rough on the drivetrain so over the last year I have added a ton of improvements and upgrades. As some of you know the transmission case broke last year around October and ruined the clutch in the process. Long story short I had a month long miserable experience with a local shop in November 2013. Eventually after a lot of frustration I ended up with a new clutch, used transmission, and a few other things but the bill was very expensive and I will never return to that shop. They were supposed to the fix valve cover leaks and other leaks but they didnt even do that right. A week later I ended up taking it to another shop to have the valve cover gaskets fixed properly. November 2013 was a very bad month for this car and honestly one of the worst months of my entire life. Also for personal reasons.

Once all that was worked out I installed the snow tires / wheels to get it ready for winter. And wow was it ever a brutal winter we had in 2014! The great news is the car made it through the ENTIRE winter without ANY issues at all. Never got stuck, no oil leaks, just ran and drove perfect. Several times I was pushing through well over a foot of snow. :D

After winter ended I decided to improve the car with even more goodies. Shifting and motor movement was a bit sloppy so I installed a pitch stop mount, motor mounts, transmission mounts, cross member bushings, short throw shifter, and shifter bushings. All of this made a huge improvement. Much better shifting and the motor / trans movement has been improved by about 75%. So now I am in the pursuit to remove the last 25% of movement. I think I will need even stiffer motor mounts to achieve that goal. The Group N STI mounts are stiffer, but not stiff enough.

Overall this dream car has come a LONG way in 1 year and even though I have thought about selling it several times, I still love it. Especially the amount of compliments I receive on how nice this car is. The previous owner has even complimented the car every time he sees it. One of the nicest cars I have owned and I still take meticulous care of it. For now I will keep looking for ways to make improvements and enjoy every day I have with this car. Thanks for stopping in. :)

Small list I still want to do to this car.
1. Floor mats
2. Eliminate the 25% motor movement. This might require even stiffer motor mounts. (not sure what kind yet. Maybe Perrin?, Beatrush?, Torque Solutions?)
3. Momo Shift knob

IMG_20140621_143553.jpg

Old motor mounts and pitch stop mount.

IMG_20140620_172341.jpg

New Group N motor mounts and STI group N pitch stop mount.

2.jpg

Trying to get an "artistic" shot.

Last edited:
Nice car, I see a lot of work has been done to it, with 280bhp you're pushing Prodrive STi horespower (UK spec), makes for a good sleeper 👍

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Greatly appreciated. Yes this will be a year round daily driver. Especially in winter and comes with a set of wheels with winter tires.

DD, I have some wax I will use for a while that was a christmast gift. Once that is gone or if I am not happy with it then I will try out the product you suggested.

Plans changed last night for the exhaust. Instead of running one solid pipe we went with a flex pipe after the down pipe and re-used some of the existing pieces. All 3" stainless steel. Still only 1 gasket as planned which is the gasket after the turbo. Moved the muffler back about 2" to avoid cooking the back bumper like it has been doing for a long time.

The car does run a little better. But I STILL have a flashing check engine light and its still running rough with a miss on WOT. The check engine code says the miss is from cylinder one. So I will start checking the coil packs and plugs. I have learned recently that this car has no plug "wires". Its just coil pack to plug. Interresting.

The bottom of the car looked fairly rust free. I didnt find any bad rust at all which is quite surprising for a northern car of this age. Its a little dirty from the recent rain. I noticed the driver side front sway bar end links is missing. Cheap easy fix.

So the current list of problems after looking the car over from front to back top to bottom.

1. Flashing check engine light (Misfire in cylinder 1 at WOT)
2. After filling gas tank, car will run rough for about a minute then smooths out. (guess???)
3. Turning heater or ac on will cause car to run a little strange.
4. Slight whine in transmission
5. Very small oil leak
6. Sway bar end link (easy)
7. Could use some new brake pads in the near future (easy)

So overall thats not to bad so far after almost a week of daily driving. I will just keep taking baby steps and fix one thing at a time. I have a 4 day vacation coming up so I will be able to get a lot done this weekend on the car. :)

Here is a picture of the Accessport I mentioned yesterday.
69j8jm.jpg

Wide band gauge?
110ybeb.jpg

Prodrive lowering springs
ej8upd.jpg

Holes for new bungs
2ir6frm.jpg

xoebyw.jpg

Flex pipe with censors installed into bungs
23lnn06.jpg

Downpipe to flex pipe.
awpyq.jpg

2i1gmpx.jpg

Final exhaust with Magnaflow muffler moved back about 2"
v7qfqw.jpg

I still plan to clean the entire bottom of the car, remove any rust, and undercoat it.
What are the holes in the exhaust fir again?

Cool summary. Love what you do to your cars :up:
Ty

Nice car, I see a lot of work has been done to it, with 280bhp you're pushing Prodrive STi horespower (UK spec), makes for a good sleeper 👍
Ty Very fun car for sure.
Awesome car, I especially love the work done to the headlights, really makes the front end pop out that much more.
Ty it only takes about 5 minutes with 2,000 grit sandpaper and the 3m cut polish compound by hand. Very easy and anyone can do it. No power tools required at all.

What are the holes in the exhaust fir again?
1st hole I believe is for the oxygen sensor. O2 sensor.
2nd hole is for the wideband / accessport setup. Which I have never messed with at all. Those were there from previous owner.

Ty

Ty Very fun car for sure.

Ty it only takes about 5 minutes with 2,000 grit sandpaper and the 3m cut polish compound by hand. Very easy and anyone can do it. No power tools required at all.

1st hole I believe is for the oxygen sensor. O2 sensor.
2nd hole is for the wideband / accessport setup. Which I have never messed with at all. Those were there from previous owner.
Oh, alright. :D Awesome car! I love the WRX even though it is a step down from the STi. I also think that year was one of the best body styles for the Impreza.

Oh, alright. :D Awesome car! I love the WRX even though it is a step down from the STi. I also think that year was one of the best body styles for the Impreza.
Ty. I agree I would love to have the STI but finding a blue 04-05 STI as a "premium" model with moonroof and heated seats is next to impossible in Michigan. I have been looking for 10 years. This blue premium WRX is the closest I could find for a reasonable price.
I also agree that the 04-05 models are some of the best looking Impreza's. Though I have to admit the 06-07 models (hawk eye) are growning on me.

Ty. I agree I would love to have the STI but finding a blue 04-05 STI as a "premium" model with moonroof and heated seats is next to impossible in Michigan. I have been looking for 10 years. This WRX premium is the closest I could find for a reasonable price.
I also agree that the 04-05 models are some of the best looking Impreza's. Though I have to admit the 06-07 models (hawk eye) are growning on me.
(Not my car)
I agree with you on the hawk eye look. For some reason it looks a little bit different in GT6... That is just me.
2006_Subaru_Impreza_Wrx_Sti-1.jpeg

Not much new to post other than I had a nail in my summer tire that I had repaired over the weekend. Also tried to take a couple more artsy pics with the Hibiscus in the back round. Some of those pink Hibiscus will put out around 75 flowers PER DAY!

IMG_20140823_191001.jpg
IMG_20140823_191014.jpg

IMG_20140823_154840.jpg

This flower is 12 inches in diameter!!!! The other flowers are about 8".

Last edited:
Over the weekend I completed a few small tasks on the WRX.

1. Hooked up the intercooler sprayer.
2. Stiffened up the new Group N motor mounts and Group N transmission mount.
3. Located the little bit of movement I have in the shifter. It is one of the knuckles directly under the shifter boot. It only moves about 1/8" so its nothing critical. But it is something I would like to tighten up eventually. Might do it next year.
4. To finish off the day I spent about 4 hours cleaning, buffing, waxing, and detailing the exterior paint ALL by hand. Went around the ENTIRE car 3 times. Started with the Armor All spray cleaner to remove excess dirt, then went to the 3m Cutting compound, and finished with the Meguirs Carnuba wax. Even did inside the door jams, trunk, and engine. All by hand and the finish is incredible like glass. Very happy with the results and this should protect the paint through the winter.

IMG_20140928_164918.jpg

IMG_20140928_164949.jpg

1.png

Looking good.... 👍
What rims are that?
Thank you. I know how meticulous you are with detail so the compliment is greatly appreciated. 👍

The wheels are Enkei but I am not sure of the exact design. I painted them black last year when I purchased the car. I use these wheels and tires for the summer. I have a different set of wheels with snow tires for the winter.

BTW when you go to wet sand your clear coat and buff it out, I would HIGHLY recommend using that 3M buffing compound I have in that picture.

Back