Solve the puzzle - compile a sentence which matches the pattern...

• Thread starter Famine
  • 367 comments
"Antarctica is a biggest desert in the world, there is less than less than 2 inches or precipation a year there."

Don't worry Daan, your not the only one confuddled.

Eh? I don't get it. I must be the thickest person on GTP

Jordan may disagree, though you may be the biggest ham. Man, this puzzle is harder than I thought it would be...

(seven) :D

And no, to live4speed.

I thought I had a handle on it, but evidently I'm as lost as your are.

What similarities are there between your "Porsche" phrase and the eight phrases which fit the pattern posted so far?

That's the key to spotting patterns - you KNOW it exists in the eight phrases (seven of mine, one of Blake's), so you must try to find out what the phrases all have in common. Bear in mind that it's a pattern, not just ONE similarity - the phrases all have more than one thing that connects them.

This is all fgsfud, I'm completly lost with this, I want to join in but I'm stupid, I've read everything Famine has said but it still makes no sense to me.

^ Does that count? :lol:.

The only similarity I can see is none of the sentences have a letter 'z' in them.

This is all fgsfud, I'm completly lost with this, I want to join in but I'm stupid, I've read everything Famine has said but it still makes no sense to me.

^ Does that count? :lol:.

No.

It's true that spotting the exact pattern requires a small amount of knowledge, but intelligence and pattern recognition are not necessarily linked.

It ought to be readily apparent that the eight correct sentences have one obvious connection - but that a couple of wrong answers also have that same feature. The conclusion you can draw from this is that the connection is part, but not all, of the pattern.

Is it possible for a non-native english speaker to solve this as well, or maybe even easier? I haven't spotted anything so far... :ouch:

It's fun though! :dopey:

Is it possible for a non-native english speaker to solve this as well, or maybe even easier? I haven't spotted anything so far... :ouch:

It's fun though! :dopey:

Probably marginally easier, I reckon - you won't necessarily be looking for complicated grammatical or syntactic patterns, so you won't be distracted by them.

Bee has actually got a job, something he hasn't had for over a year.

Spot on... :D

Here's another, simpler one.

"At Le Golf National, France's premier golf course, a round at par is about as much as even professional golfers can hope for."

Canary Wharf is the tallest tower in London City – though, it is not as tall as some other towers.

My mother is only 5ft tall, however she belives she's tall enough.

How's that :D, well off probably.

Yes. Very, very off.

I don't see what the fascination with describing how tall things are is though...

Here's the 9 correct phrases again:

One of the odd things about the Andes in Peru is that the range there is so slim - a lot less wide than in other territories.

The most recent religion in Armenia is the so-called Layer Evangelists, formed via a schism with the Armenian Apostolic Church.

One of the most difficult letters to get right in German is the "ü" as in "über" - linguistically it should be pronounced similarly to "oo".

I should add that in Australia, gonad/leg interactions can be R-rated.

The fur of Canadian marmosets is an astonishing fuel, yielding up to 12 yottawatts (12 * 10^24 watts) per tonne!

Funny story about Nokia though - when their CEO (Finnish man Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo) was a child, he was often bullied on his way to school. More than once he saw his satchel sink in icy waters near his hometown of Lavia. Now one of his tormentors works in a Nokia factory. Who's laughing now, eh?

Formula 1 is popular in Italy, with fans coming from across the globe to watch the races.

Jordan may disagree, though you may be the biggest ham. Man, this puzzle is harder than I thought it would be...

At Le Golf National, France's premier golf course, a round at par is about as much as even professional golfers can hope for.

Blake's is slightly more tricksy - though still perfectly fine.

GeorgeMorley
Every sentence has to be about a country?

Famine
NO GUESSES, only phrases you've compiled that you believe match the pattern...

And if that were the case, Blake's earlier sentences about the mountain in Australia would have been correct. But they weren't.

Gran Turismo is sweeping the nation in Japan, with millions of copies sold already.

^ any of that right? ^

"Fidel Castro is very popular in Cuba, dispite the bad conditions of the country"
By the way, I'm not from Cuba

Nope!

Some of you seem to have uncovered a connection between the sentences - but remember we're after a pattern - that's not just ONE connection. There's something else about the sentences - and don't get wrapped up in grammatical or syntax niceties. As I said to Interceptor, this may be easier for non-native English speakers, as they won't get bogged down by this.

I have absolutely no idea, and every similarity I come up with fails on at least one of those nine sentences. The problem is that I have no idea what to look for. And if it's not the grammar, not the syntax and not the content, what else can it be?

You've lost me! :crazy:

I know I'm thinking about this too hard, no matter how many times Famine say's it's not that complicated or uses words to that effect I just seem incapable of looking for a simple solution. I've had a few idaes that have matched a few of the sentences for various things, but not all.

Heres an attempt.

'England, although a very small country, is much richer than many countries lager than it.'

:lol:, 0.5/10 chance it's right.

One of the odd things about cocodriles is that, despite their super jaw strenght, they can be held closed by the hands of any human being.

I saw a very silly pattern, but I'm not quite sure if that's it. ^^^

Ciao!

Latest Posts

Back