Solve the puzzle - compile a sentence which matches the pattern...

• Thread starter Famine
  • 367 comments
Nope.

(and, given that you just posted a substitution in a phrase which was correct, that should give you some clues)

I have to weed it out one way or another!

Olympic runners in China currently completed a distance which doesn't upset - The Great Wall's length!

I'm leaning towards the excessive use of hyphens and commas, and where in the sentence.

My last only had two apostrophes, one hyphen (though really an em-dash) and an exclamation mark. Blake's only had one comma and a full stop...

That's not to say this isn't part of the pattern (except the "excessive" part)...

In Mongolia- An east-asian country, Yaks are often thought of as suitable bed partners.

Hmmmmmmmmnope.

Acoustic technicians in Tasmania recently uncovered a sound which doesn't echo - Bart Simpson's voice!

(ten) :D

Well that one threw everything out the window. I was playing with a theory that this one destroys. Tasmania's not even a country, it's an Australian state! Now I'm lost. :nervous:

Well that one threw everything out the window. I was playing with a theory that this one destroys. Tasmania's not even a country, it's an Australian state! Now I'm lost. :nervous:

Don't be disheartened - even though the nature of the pattern differs slightly from previous examples, the pattern itself is still preserved...

I have to weed it out one way or another!

Olympic runners in China currently completed a distance which doesn't upset - The Great Wall's length!

(caught up in the edit.) In case you didn't notice, famine...

Mary had a little lamb.

See Spot run - Spot runs fast. Go, Spot, go!

Don't be disheartened - even though the nature of the pattern differs slightly from previous examples, the pattern itself is still preserved...
Would that be eleven now :lol:.

I'll give this another shot and then I'll be back to stage one if this is wrong.

The river mersey is in England, it runs through at least one city.

Although a monkey in the house is odd to some, it is perfectly normal in Brazil!

Can a pattern maybe be that simple?

If I rephrased that comment of evilgenous' to...
Although one monkey in the house is odd to some, two or three is normal in Brazil.
Is that any closer? It's just a refinement of my last theory before I go back to square one.

EDIT: Just edited a word out I left in by mistake.

If I rephrased that comment of evilgenous' to...
Although one monkey in the house is odd to some, two or three is normal in Brazil.
Is that any closer? It's just a refinement of my last theory before I go back to square one.

EDIT: Just edited a word out I left in by mistake.

No closer, no.

An old law in Vietnam makes it illegal to beat a cow with an oil lamp.

A Dutch queen of the Ninteenth Century refuses to eat anything starting with the letter "G".

As interesting as it is incorrect. Though it does look surprisingly like a quote from Ocean's Twelve.

No.

As I keep saying, the pattern is really, really not complicated - or at least not as complicated as some of you are managing to make it.

I wouldn't worry though - it took my friend nearly 3 days of head-scratching to get it, and she was far more annoyed at how easy the answer was than she was at how difficult it seemed in those three days.

Your sentence is just a pangram.

I think, by now, everyone has established one key feature of each phrase. All you must do now is figure out the pattern. That's pattern. Each phrase has a pattern and this pattern is common to all the phrases... A link between the phrases has been uncovered, but that's just a link - the pattern itself is still there (for everyone except Blake).

I can't give much more of a clue than this.

Famine
Please don't try and post a guess as to what the pattern actually is, and, if you think you've solved it, don't post "hints" to others. If you think you've solved it, just post a phrase of your own. I'll mark them for correctness, occasionally.
Ding ding.

There are 5 nouns in most of the sentences.

Famine
There's something else about the sentences - and don't get wrapped up in grammatical or syntax niceties. As I said to Interceptor, this may be easier for non-native English speakers, as they won't get bogged down by this.

Even so, "most" isn't a link.

I should bill you for the all the time I’m wasting trying to figure this out. :P

I should bill you for the all the time I’m wasting trying to figure this out. :P

If you were in Spain, you'd be really mad - riddles like this tend to send the locals potty!

whistle.gif

I have an idea ... hang on, I just got to figure out a sentence ...

"So, FIA has decided that there'll never be a Formula 1 race in Bulgaria, which might also be connected to the fact that there is no useable racetrack."

gotcha! :D

Back