Solve the puzzle - compile a sentence which matches the pattern...

• Thread starter Famine
  • 367 comments
Here's another one:

"Though the distance from Osaka to Kyoto is only minor, they are quite different in importance, size and history for the country of Japan."

Come on Famine, tell me! :nervous:

OK, one more try:

GTP's staff members are very strict with the AUP - so many new members don't even mind checking it out before posting.

I gotta tell ya, it's nerve wracking.

Ciao!

After spending too much time in this thread, I'm officially giving up.

Obviously I worked out the country part, and I thought I was getting somewhere with double letters ('ff', 'dd', 'ee') and also vowels and word length but obviously not.

As Mr Ozzy might say, Ciao!

After spending too much time in this thread, I'm officially giving up.

Obviously I worked out the country part, and I thought I was getting somewhere with double letters ('ff', 'dd', 'ee') and also vowels and word length but obviously not.

As Mr Ozzy might say, Ciao!

It's far simpler than that, but requires a little knowledge (or Wikipedia).

"Did you know, that one of the favourite meals of Bahamas residents is a combination of bananas, saugsages and a special sauce, made after a secret recipe?"

:yuck:

Okay, here's another (pretty mean) one:

"Though many women from the Ukraine are known to be a bit "bulky", I've never met such a girl there. Every single one I've met didn't look any different from the girls at home."

This is a piece of cake once you figured it out, but I guess you already knew that. My only hint is this: forget this for a few hours, then come back with a clear head and take a look at all the examples again.

"Some people try things beyond belief at times. Although only being a very small country on the westcoast of Africa, the Gambia actually tried to ban july from the calendar on a wordwide basis, because they believe it is an evil month, due to many natural disasters happening at the time."

Probably, though as I said earlier, when you SEE the pattern you won't be able to believe that you didn't. There really is nothing obscure here.
I'm guessing that the solution is wholly unsatisfying, much like many brain-teasers. Whenever someone tells me "it's really easy; you'll kick yourself when you figure it out!" I am always disappointed in the answer. It's never very clever, and there is always an element of randomness, whether they admit it or not.

BTW, are you ever going to reveal this "pattern" that all of 2 people have figured out? I'm curious, but not enough to figure it out myself. I suck hard at word games anyway.

I'm guessing that the solution is wholly unsatisfying, much like many brain-teasers. Whenever someone tells me "it's really easy; you'll kick yourself when you figure it out!" I am always disappointed in the answer. It's never very clever, and there is always an element of randomness, whether they admit it or not.

BTW, are you ever going to reveal this "pattern" that all of 2 people have figured out? I'm curious, but not enough to figure it out myself. I suck hard at word games anyway.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Can we get the answer now, please?

At times, I thought this would be very unsatisfying as well, once I would figure it out. But I must say, it wasn't. This is not that trivial, and Famine has found some really good examples.

Keep searching guys, if I can do it, you can, too. 👍

Remember Wity? Apparently he lives in Burma now. According to the website he ran, goons are strictly not welcome.

Though many mountains in the United Kingdom are viewed as pretty small, plenty of people think they're quite big, they are bigger than any one hill.

Hmmm, I think once people figure this out, Famine may have to quit or emigrate to Ecuador.... :ill: ;)

Here's another one...

"There's an urban legend in Greece, that a man used to beat down tourists from South America, then sat down on them and ran away afterwards."

BTW, are you ever going to reveal this "pattern" that all of 2 people have figured out?

No.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Can we get the answer now, please?

Also no.

Remember Wity? Apparently he lives in Burma now. According to the website he ran, goons are strictly not welcome.

Correct!

Though many mountains in the United Kingdom are viewed as pretty small, plenty of people think they're quite big, they are bigger than any one hill.

Not correct.

Hmmm, I think once people figure this out, Famine may have to quit or emigrate to Ecuador.... :ill: ;)

Correct.

Here's another one...

"There's an urban legend in Greece, that a man used to beat down tourists from South America, then sat down on them and ran away afterwards."

Also correct.

"As a little known fact, the Republic of Ghana has swapped the national power grid from AC (alternate current) to DC (direct current) again. They found out that due to the heat in the area, AC "cracked" capacitors in power supplies of the most different devices. DC however does not put such a stress on the components, letting them live much longer."

I'll do no more, cause I think we have enough examples.

Longer examples are more confusing to those trying to solve them too. TM's two are just about perfect. The Wity one is a work of genius :D

"Black Sea area homebuyers have recently been boosted by improved mortgage offers - at the First Turkish National Bank a rate of just 4.9% is now offered for foreigners looking to invest in property in the region."

Come on people, already lost any fun in this? It might help you if you copy and paste all the examples into a text file, maybe that'll help. Also, just trying some things is programmed to fail. You won't make a hit when you don't know what you're doing. Try to figure this out by finding the similarities in all the examples.

Regards
the Interceptor

When in Bolivia, I like to lap azure coloured cars.

Can I just say that the ones about obscure little countries aren't helping anyone. ;)

When in Bolivia, I like to lap azure coloured cars.

Can I just say that the ones about obscure little countries aren't helping anyone. ;)

Oh lordy! That's four people who've got it now...

You're probably right - but it's tough to strike a balance between tricky and obvious.

"A bad habit I have is that when my Chinese isn't here when it's meant to be, I jingle the payment in my pocket."

That's a great one 👍

"Why are Norwegian cars so slow? Must be the specialized way they put things together..."

"I'm tired of trying to solve Famine's puzzle, I'll do it later"
I'm not a native english speaker, but my english sucks

Eastern African countries have an unusual fondness over horse hair, believeing that it would cure any illness.

A Dutch queen of the Ninteenth Century refuses to eat anything starting with "G", because she resents the word "gonad".

Back