Solve the puzzle - compile a sentence which matches the pattern...

• Thread starter Famine
  • 367 comments
"I'm tired of trying to solve Famine's puzzle, I'll do it later"
I'm not a native english speaker, but my english sucks

Neither is Interceptor - and he got it...

Eastern African countries have an unusual fondness over horse hair, believeing that it would cure any illness.

A Dutch queen of the Ninteenth Century refuses to eat anything starting with "G", because she resents the word "gonad".

No to both...

Well, I'm off to the pub for a swift half after work. I'm going to print some of these off and see if anyone can figure it out - I work with quite a few foreigners like a guy in my lab, Russell Sellonet, who is from Belgium - I bet he will find it pretty tricky :ill:

Can anyone spot anything extra in mine??

Probably wrong,but.....

When you know the solution,it is easy to be smart.

Edit: If this is correct, I'll tie a rope around my privates and jump from a high tree.

btw,the edit counts as a try too.

Midnight Runner
When in Croatia,I like to lick amused crazy crows.

Wasn't it in Croatia that you had the infamous Zigzag Rebellion in the 17th Century?

(that was another example of the pattern, specifically for you)

Here's a little phrase from Albania that will make your brain stir - an apple a day keeps the gypsies away.

I think I got it!

Lake Starnberg, the German lake where King Ludwig II of Bavaria drowned to death, is the deepest lake in Europe.

Yeah, every time someone posts a "correct" sentence, it makes even less sense to me. It must be the years of binge-drinking and huffing rubber cement. I cannot afford to waste the few remaining brain cells on trivial matters like this--I need them instead to keep my lungs functioning.

It's a shame really. I so wanted to join Famine's Super-Secret (No Girls Allowed) Treehouse Club, but I guess I'll have to turn to a life of violent crime and drug trafficking instead. Be sure to watch for me on "COPS". It will be my life's crowning acheivement!

Yeah, every time someone posts a "correct" sentence, it makes even less sense to me. It must be the years of binge-drinking and huffing rubber cement. I cannot afford to waste the few remaining brain cells on trivial matters like this--I need them instead to keep my lungs functioning.

It's a shame really. I so wanted to join Famine's Super-Secret (No Girls Allowed) Treehouse Club, but I guess I'll have to turn to a life of violent crime and drug trafficking instead. Be sure to watch for me on "COPS". It will be my life's crowning acheivement!

Girls are allowed. But only on Thursdays. And not in the treehouse, but the den at the bottom of the garden. 12 foot of soil is good for muffling screams.

Aaanyway... Correct answers so far:

One of the odd things about the Andes in Peru is that the range there is so slim - a lot less wide than in other territories.

The most recent religion in Armenia is the so-called Layer Evangelists, formed via a schism with the Armenian Apostolic Church.

One of the most difficult letters to get right in German is the "ü" as in "über" - linguistically it should be pronounced similarly to "oo".

I should add that in Australia, gonad/leg interactions can be R-rated.

The fur of Canadian marmosets is an astonishing fuel, yielding up to 12 yottawatts (12 * 10^24 watts) per tonne!

Funny story about Nokia though - when their CEO (Finnish man Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo) was a child, he was often bullied on his way to school. More than once he saw his satchel sink in icy waters near his hometown of Lavia. Now one of his tormentors works in a Nokia factory. Who's laughing now, eh?

Formula 1 is popular in Italy, with fans coming from across the globe to watch the races.

Jordan may disagree, though you may be the biggest ham. Man, this puzzle is harder than I thought it would be...

At Le Golf National, France's premier golf course, a round at par is about as much as even professional golfers can hope for.

Acoustic technicians in Tasmania recently uncovered a sound which doesn't echo - Bart Simpson's voice!

An old law in Vietnam makes it illegal to beat a cow with an oil lamp.

If you were in Spain, you'd be really mad - riddles like this tend to send the locals potty!

So, FIA has decided that there'll never be a Formula 1 race in Bulgaria, which might also be connected to the fact that there is no useable racetrack.

Though the distance from Osaka to Kyoto is only minor, they are quite different in importance, size and history for the country of Japan.

Did you know, that one of the favourite meals of Bahamas residents is a combination of bananas, saugsages and a special sauce, made after a secret recipe?

Though many women from the Ukraine are known to be a bit "bulky", I've never met such a girl there. Every single one I've met didn't look any different from the girls at home.

Some people try things beyond belief at times. Although only being a very small country on the westcoast of Africa, the Gambia actually tried to ban july from the calendar on a wordwide basis, because they believe it is an evil month, due to many natural disasters happening at the time.

Remember Wity? Apparently he lives in Burma now. According to the website he ran, goons are strictly not welcome.

Hmmm, I think once people figure this out, Famine may have to quit or emigrate to Ecuador...

There's an urban legend in Greece, that a man used to beat down tourists from South America, then sat down on them and ran away afterwards.

As a little known fact, the Republic of Ghana has swapped the national power grid from AC (alternate current) to DC (direct current) again. They found out that due to the heat in the area, AC "cracked" capacitors in power supplies of the most different devices. DC however does not put such a stress on the components, letting them live much longer.

Black Sea area homebuyers have recently been boosted by improved mortgage offers - at the First Turkish National Bank a rate of just 4.9% is now offered for foreigners looking to invest in property in the region.

When in Bolivia, I like to lap azure coloured cars.

A bad habit I have is that when my Chinese isn't here when it's meant to be, I jingle the payment in my pocket.

Why are Norwegian cars so slow? Must be the specialized way they put things together...

Well, I'm off to the pub for a swift half after work. I'm going to print some of these off and see if anyone can figure it out - I work with quite a few foreigners like a guy in my lab, Russell Sellonet, who is from Belgium - I bet he will find it pretty tricky.

Wasn't it in Croatia that you had the infamous Zigzag Rebellion in the 17th Century?

Japan has many cities like Vostok, you know.

Here's a little phrase from Albania that will make your brain stir - an apple a day keeps the gypsies away.

Not quite, but they do spend quite a lot of time looking at hen sausages amongst other things, in Greece.

Concentrate on the shorter ones - if the pattern is correct in shorter sentences it stands to reason that you have less to look at to work it out...

Was my sentence correct? Here's another one:

Did you know that Magadi, one of the largest cities in northeastern Kenya, has a white mayor?

Oh man, I laugh at those in the Philippines who haven’t solved this puzzle yet.

(Finally! Two days of brain-flexing…)

Which one gave it away? A few of the later ones are shorter and so marginally easier, so I suspect it was one of those.

I was most proud of the Canadian marmoset one, personally... :D It wasn't easy... :lol:

Actually, none of them really gave it away, per se. I’ll PM you how I discovered it, otherwise it’ll be too easy for others to do the same thing and find it really quickly. ;)

And now that I know it, the marmoset one is a big fat DUH! :lol:

A testament to Italian hairiness, Verdi's moustache is revered by many -- both now and then.

Verde would be much more revered (for his Italian hairiness, that is) if his mustache grew from every single spot on his face.

(A little less tricky than Blake’s Italian trickery – his, er, omertà, shall we say?)

I wasn't even close, was I.

I give up. If "Japan has many cities like Vostok, you know." is correct and neither of mine are correct, there's nothing else I can see. Ones like "When in Bolivia, I like to lap azure coloured cars." just make things worse.

Keep those two in mind and just scan them. They'll help you out, I think.

Verde would be much more revered (for his Italian hairiness, that is) if his mustache grew from every single spot on his face.

(A little less tricky than Blake’s Italian trickery – his, er, omertà, shall we say?)

Sage, with his love for bugs, should be wary of traveling to Dragonflyland. Though he's sometimes refered to as the stag hunter, a gentle dragonfly might try to collide into his heart.

Back