Sony Confirms Next-Gen PlayStation Features: 8K Resolution and Backwards Compatibility

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 123 comments
Since the PS5 will include ray-tracing... It wouldn't be (OBVIOUSLY) at 8K, not even 4K. Cerny mentioned it was a Navi GPU, so we'd get ray-tracing at 1080P.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/navi-4chan-gtx-1080-performance-ray-tracing

very nice tho, im looking forward to this.

PS: I know that link I sent is from a rumour from a 4Chan user who claims himself an AMD employee, but it's really obvious that we won't get ray-tracing at 4K, and I doubt if it can at 1080P, but oh well, the time will answer all our questions

14udd15.jpg

Remote Play for all devices Damnit!
Still havent used it once in all these years of owning a ps4.
And no i wont spend 1500 dollars on an xperia phone or tablet just to do it.
Open it to to all android devices and open up ps4 to this too while you're at it.
Sony doesnt even sell xperia products in Canada.

I skipped the current gen of consoles but I'm itching for a return so I'm quietly paying attention to the Playstation 5.

I'd love to see some pictures of the dev kit, there were supposedly some floating around but I'm pretty sure they are fake. Plenty of genuine PS4 ones being misrepresented as click bait though.

8K...why! I guess it's a marketing thing but even 4k isn't worth it if the game can't maintain a high framerate.
Because the Tokyo Olympic games will be broadcast in 8K. It will be timed to get get maximum exposure at that time.

I've always thought that was a definite for this nextgen because of that, not necessarily for gaming of course, that requires a lot more horsepower for anything describable as AAA.

lets open the preorder I don't remember last i was so excited about a console launch... oh right yes I was for ps4 :D

Day 1 for sure, my PS4 Pro sounds like a jet sometimes even after changing thermal paste and pads. Finally going to get full use of a 4K tv. :dopey:

As if 4K wasn't pointless enough. Oh well, the high numbers will attract the less informed as per usual.

The news about the current PS VR working on the PS5 is more interesting. I just hope they release some better VR controllers to go along with it, as everything I've heard about using Move with VR is that they're less than great. More than anything, I'm happy to hear that physical games will still be a thing on the PS5. That, and working offline, are by far the most important things to me.

Sounds great and happy to see a move to SSD as the storage of choice. Not excited to see how the cost increases as a result of this change, not because it dictates a massive price increase but we know electronics companies love bumping up prices for higher storage limits.

Hmmm, GT7 as a launch title hey? Let's see how that goes... On the other hand, why develop for 8K when televisions capable of producing such resolution have JUST BEEN RELEASED? It's stupid as most will never experience this tech anytime soon. But for the uneducated consumer, it's just something else to boast about.

Hmmm, GT7 as a launch title hey? Let's see how that goes... On the other hand, why develop for 8K when televisions capable of producing such resolution have JUST BEEN RELEASED? It's stupid as most will never experience this tech anytime soon. But for the uneducated consumer, it's just something else to boast about.
Because the second, more affordable, generation of 8K would be out by next year?

Think back to the cost of 4K around the time of the PS4 release.

It's called future planning.

I'd be far more interested in 21:9 support and 120/144hz games than snake-oil 8K resolution.

Aren't they up-scaled?
Some are, but There are a few that do run Native 4K.
On PS4 Pro Skyrim SE runs in Native 4K, The Last of us Remastered Runs native 4K in 30FPS mode and 3200x1800 in 60FPS mode.
On Xbox One X Forza games that are "Xbox One X Enhanced" (FH4, FH3, FM7, and even FH1 trough backwards compatibility) run in Native 4K with FH4's "Performance Mode" downgrading to 1080P for 60 FPS. Red Dead Redemption 2 runs in Native 4K (I have RDR2 on my Xbox One X and it looks incredible on my 4K HDR TV). Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas run in 4K on Xbox One X backwards compatibility.
There are plenty more, Those are just the one I know of off the top of my head.

Some are, but There are a few that do run Native 4K.
On PS4 Pro Skyrim SE runs in Native 4K, The Last of us Remastered Runs native 4K in 30FPS mode and 3200x1800 in 60FPS mode.
On Xbox One X Forza games that are "Xbox One X Enhanced" (FH4, FH3, FM7, and even FH1 trough backwards compatibility) run in Native 4K with FH4's "Performance Mode" downgrading to 1080P for 60 FPS. Red Dead Redemption 2 runs in Native 4K (I have RDR2 on my Xbox One X and it looks incredible on my 4K HDR TV). Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas run in 4K on Xbox One X backwards compatibility.
There are plenty more, Those are just the one I know of off the top of my head.

Yeah so on the PS side those are remasters, not modern new games designed around running at 4k, just up-res'd versions of existing games... I imagine the same will be true for anything 'running' in 8k on a PS5. The power needed to produce a proper native modern 8k game would be high, not only that but development costs would also be increased... which given how few 8k TV's even exist at retail would be a little silly

Yeah so on the PS side those are remasters, not modern new games designed around running at 4k, just up-res'd versions of existing games.

Found a few current gen games that do run Native 4K on PS4 pro, but most others are offset with Dynamic resolution scaling or Checkerboard rendering. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, NBA 2K17, Ride 2, Skyforge, The Division, The Elder Scrolls Online, War Thunder.

I imagine the same will be true for anything 'running' in 8k on a PS5.

As I said in a previous comment, I Highly doubt anything will reach native 8K in the upcoming generation. It is likely just some future proofing for the next generation of TV hardware. Much like how when the PS3 was revealed Sony said it was capable of 120Hz 1080P, But zero games utilized it and most ended up settling for 720P 30FPS. But I can see 4K becoming the standard for the next console generation, with maybe a few less demanding titles experimenting with pushing 5K or 6K native resolutions, Especially if it gets a "Pro" version half way through it's life cycle.

8K?! Ludicrous. There is not even any terrestrial UK tv in 4k, let alone 8k. I mean yeah, futureproofing but at the moment we can't even get 4k 60fps in every single game for normal prices. 8K is a gimmick for anything other than a VR experience only where you may require that kinda resolution over 4k. Seems madly over the top. Yay for SSD finally but if it's not gonna go full 64bit or have more than 16gb of ram, we're up a creep without a paddle.

Backwards compatibility and SSD is all I needed to hear. The latter will probably increase the cost of the console but it's also about damn time they made the move.

Because the second, more affordable, generation of 8K would be out by next year?

Think back to the cost of 4K around the time of the PS4 release.
Affordable? The cheapest 8K TV is over $8000; I don't think they'll suddenly drop to $1000 in the next year. My dad bought a 4K TV for the living room quite recently, and I got one for the playroom 3 days ago. 3 days! And we can't even use the 4K resolution because the standard PS4 can't use it, and digital TV has JUST started using 4K, and that's only for selected shows at the moment. The idea of jumping up to 8K after using our older TV's for 10 and 7 years respectively sounds ludicrous. 8K will not become the norm for AT LEAST another decade, so there is no point developing a console to handle it! Technology for the sake of it mate, that's all it is.

It's called future planning.
As in 10 years later when the PS5 will most likely have a successor?

Once again shows how companies like sony have been lying.

All this time they gave excuses that BC was not happening due to limitations.

Now we are getting BC for Ps5.

All this time they gave excuses that BC was not happening due to limitations.

Now we are getting BC for Ps5.
You're going to have to join those dots for me, because I can't see how backwards compatibility for PS5 invalidates the reasons for not having backwards compatibility for PS4.

Back