sound comprasion - MUST WATCH

I agree that GT5 cars have always "purred like kittens", but the problem is alot of those cars purring like kittens should be roaring like lions, and that wasn't the case. But now even the lions have a voice. And that's a good thing, though I'm sure PD will get none of the kudos they deserve for the work they've done with sound in this patch. They will get some here on this foum from people like me, but not publicly in the gaming media.

GT5 was forgotten as soon as Black Ops was released. Which tbh i'm glad about because it means we don't have IGN constantly watching us like vultures, ready to strike ;) Sorry if that's abit of a gloomy image :D

I tested the MKIV yesterday to check out the "improved sound" and found that the MKIV sounds a lot crisper, the deep burbling sound is also a lot more audible.

I think one of the main improvements is they toned down the transmission whine that was overly loud, even on road cars before the 2.0.2 update, now thankfully we can actually hear the engine and not just the tranny.

Glad to see they are still improving key things like this.

It's like they added one more sample to lower rev range, which sounds gruntier. I find it very good addition but especially M3 deserves highest rpm angry sample that is missing instead of that ridiculously fastened 5k rpm sample.

I think one of the main improvements is they toned down the transmission whine that was overly loud, even on road cars before the 2.0.2 update, now thankfully we can actually hear the engine and not just the tranny.

Glad to see they are still improving key things like this.

To my ears (on computer speakers) it sounds like they indeed changed the mix between the sound of the engine, the exhaust and the transmission. So far I haven't heard something in the 'after patch' that wasn't there in the 'before patch' but it just sounds like the relative volumes have changed.
If I remember it I'll have a listen on good speakers later.

The sound is definitely not a problem to me. If GT5' cars sound like cars iit's more than enough. If this cars' sound is improved, better I guess :P

Hi people.

The sounds has been improved. There´s no denying of it.

The problem is that most people here DOESN´T have a real car, and because of that they tend to misjudge GT5 sounds.

I´ve tested last night with my Yamaha RXV-363 (total midrange, but it sound pretty clear) and my Crystal Audio Plasma 5.1 set, with 120 w subwoofer. In total, 500 w of joy, and the difference is QUITE A LOT audible.

First of all, the position of the sounds have been fixed. And the mechanical parts of the engine has been boosted. Take a Veyron, and use the "hood" camera... Rev it to 7.000 and then let it go down.... It´s really beautiful.

Or take a Gallardo LP-560-4 at full throttle. Or a Mucielago. And I didn´t test the Zonda R, with I will today.

The wind sound is quite noticiable too. I was doing IRL about 135 mph with my Jetta last weekend and almost everything I heard was wind and exaust. The turbo hiss was almost inaudible... and I´ll try this in a TT 1.8T 20v today, so I´ll see what is like in GT5

Could it be better? well, maybe a better "tunnel effect" could help, but overall its a GREAT improvement !

Yes, the balance is changed slightly. More emphasis is placed on the exhaust, but that's not why it sounds "gruntier". They've tweaked their exhaust flow noise to be more sensitive to micro-scale changes in the underlying samples (sound is pressure variations; those variations can be related to velocity variations with relative ease, augmenting the sound of the gas flowing out of the exhaust pipes). They've also added a touch of distortion of some kind, meaning it sounds less like shaped white noise and more like turbulence.

That's why cars that were already lumpy in 2.00 (the SLS, XKR etc.) really benefit from this update. The biggest improvement is the tyre sounds, for me.

Yes, the balance is changed slightly. More emphasis is placed on the exhaust, but that's not why it sounds "gruntier".
Before the patch the rear view (look back button) in the cockpit view had more exhaust component than the front view, now they're more on less on par.
Most american V8s still sound choked, though.

Last edited:
Some cars have improoved but others IMO havent... some now I only ear mainly on one speaker and others like the CLK-GTR are worst with no improovement and more wind sound - it sounds more like a blender than before... but overall it was a big improovement on most cars.

SHIRAKAWA Akira
Before the patch the rear view (look back button) had more exhaust component than the front view, now they're more on less on par.

The Roof Cam now sounds least desirable. If I could, I would use Chase Cam's engine for in-car and first person. I could really do without gear whine. It's unfortunate that only the straight cut gearbox can be adjusted :(

BIG difference. The tire noise most definitely has been ramped up to a high degree- you can notice this when the LMP car zooms by in the tunnel. Fantastic!

Also yes- exhaust sample has increased in volume level and tranny whine has been lowered. You can specifically hear this in the cockpit view of the Stealth GTR.

They're gettin there, guys! They're gettin there!

👍

I don't know if I have my surround sound set up wrong, but it still sounds poorly mixed (and highly synthesized). I have the audio in the game set to small theater, I'm running a Denon 6.1 system that was calibrated with a microphone that samples the audio at different points in the room. I tried setting my stereo to direct mode where it passes audio through without any post-processing down (so it's true to the source), and I also used any number of the audio options available (all HD audio).

Sound of the car riding through a tunnel still sounds the same and weak! Where's the reverb and amplification? Forza 4 has this effect done the best and I was hoping they fixed this in the 2.0.2 update.
Have you ever played GT5?

Cause I can hear a difference between driving outside and inside a tunnel.

Ridiculous little tweakings... the sound dept NEEDS A COMPLETE OVERHAUL! Will it get GT6 for GT Cars to not sound like Mario Kart?

Last edited:
Ridiculous little tweakings... the sound dept NEEDS A COMPLETE OVERALL! Will it get GT6 for GT Cars to not sound like Mario Kart?

What is a complete overall? Isn't is the same as overall complete? :odd::confused:

TBH, I prefer little tweakings, which make things better than doing nothing. If they sound like Mario Kart to you, then you need to go to your ear doctor.

What is a complete overall? Isn't is the same as overall complete? :odd::confused:

TBH, I prefer little tweakings, which make things better than doing nothing. If they sound like Mario Kart to you, then you need to go to your ear doctor.

I think he meant to type overhaul!:)

My problem is that on the roof/bonnet camera the wind noise is far too loud, I could barely hear the engine note of my Viper to change gear whilst racing at Cape Ring.

Back