sound comprasion - MUST WATCH

My problem is that on the roof/bonnet camera the wind noise is far too loud, I could barely hear the engine note of my Viper to change gear whilst racing at Cape Ring.

But the fact is it's realistic now (I think). Try to stick your head out of the window at 100 mph :D

I think most people complaining about sounds in GT5 are ones that perceive sounds from movies and arcade racing games to be true to life. That is not the case for the most part.

I agree that, when tuned, some cars sound bad in GT5, mostly V8s. However, out of 4 different exhuast, atleast one does sound good. The stock exhaust is pretty much spot on. If you want a different exhaust (more volume), atleast one of the performance exhausts sound good for the most part. If you fully tune every car, you probably won't like the exhaust. It is a flaw in their system. It may be corrected with better equipment in the future, but for now, GT5 has the best and most accurate stock exhaust for a console game available, except for PGR4. I install which ever exhaust sounds the best and most accurate. If I leave 20 hp on the table, so be it, I will just have to drive a little better.

The tire sounds, wind, etc... is all pretty good as is also. They have toned down the transmission whine, but it is still louder than I would like using stock exhaust, but it is pretty accurate.

I like the improved sounds!

Welcome improvement. I messing with wheels all day yesterday and never really got in a car and drove....until last night. I decided to dothe American seasonal and chose my edge Camaro....I was really wowed. I am still working on getting my surround levels adjusted...want a new sub....but I got pretty good sounds. Much more gutteral.

That being said, there is always room for improvement and critical feedback is a useful tool if utilized. They are a long way from recreating exact sounds. The sounds are more authentic now...but in 5-10 years we will look at this game like we do gt1,2,3 and 4 now.

Thinking there is no room for improvement will find you left behind by those who know nothing is ever perfect and everything can be improved upon.

If smoeone points out something that is still not quite right, he may be correct. The devs can take the info and use it if they feel his subjective view has merit.

If the effort required to further improve sounds is low relative to the consumers desire for improvement they will likely continue working on this.

My advise to people that can't handle the free expression of opinion is to ignore the ones that may offend you.

I think most people complaining about sounds in GT5 are ones that perceive sounds from movies and arcade racing games to be true to life. That is not the case for the most part.

I agree that, when tuned, some cars sound bad in GT5, mostly V8s. However, out of 4 different exhuast, atleast one does sound good. The stock exhaust is pretty much spot on. If you want a different exhaust (more volume), atleast one of the performance exhausts sound good for the most part. If you fully tune every car, you probably won't like the exhaust. It is a flaw in their system. It may be corrected with better equipment in the future, but for now, GT5 has the best and most accurate stock exhaust for a console game available, except for PGR4. I install which ever exhaust sounds the best and most accurate. If I leave 20 hp on the table, so be it, I will just have to drive a little better.

The tire sounds, wind, etc... is all pretty good as is also. They have toned down the transmission whine, but it is still louder than I would like using stock exhaust, but it is pretty accurate.

I take it you have only played GT5 and PGR4? Since that statement is opinion, and a far fetched one at that.

To OP: thanks for posting this:tup:

The M3 sounds better with this "volume level adjust." The SLS sounds kind of distorted. I just hope they don't raise the sound's volume anymore or it will end up sounding like NFS Shift. But overall, this is a great improvement! the cockpit sounds much more stronger. Now lets focus in the sound samples for GT6, PD. No Corvettes sounding like V6s anymore :D

To my ears, there's a definite change in the tone of those exhausts, but maybe I'm imagining it.

I have a cheap but fairly deacent 5.1 system in my pc, and I could notice a difference in the volume levels. It's much more stronger and crisp. To be honest, there is no change in the exhaust notes.

But the fact is it's realistic now (I think). Try to stick your head out of the window at 100 mph :D

Yes that's true but sometimes you don't want that sort of realism, you know? I mean nobody can really drive a car from it's roof or floating a few feet behind it so I don't see the need to replicate the real sounds you would get if you did. It's just too loud.

yellowclone

I think sounds, especially v8s and anything with a race exhaust can still be greatly improved. A corvette with a full race exhaust as well as a 550(assume 590 is much the same) are deafeningly loud . The corvette sounds like....I can't actually think of a comparison....it's crazy loud and deep. This is based on personal experience at Road Atlanta...from a fair distance...I had a migraine at the end of my first race. It is likely a bit more time with a soundboard will yield massive improvements....on current equipment.

It sure helped the immersion factor, that's for sure. I was trying out the '12 GTR on the 'Ring, and I left impressed with how it sounded.

Well done.

It sure helped the immersion factor, that's for sure. I was trying out the '12 GTR on the 'Ring, and I left impressed with how it sounded.

Well done.

Same here... it actually makes you feel that you're driving a 530hp beast now.

I'm very happy for any improvement in the sound department, but there is still a long way to go. It seems they have realized the problem and are working on it though. :)

For some cars, the sound is so off you cannot imagine it being sampled from the real thing. I just bought my first Enzo in the game and it sounds, well awful. It sounds more like a Ferrari V8 than a V12. Things like that is GT's biggest sound problem in my opinion.

The ZR-1 RM still sounds like a 6 cylinder. :(

Sounds are still crap, clearer crap coming from different speakers but still crap!

I'm very happy for any improvement in the sound department, but there is still a long way to go. It seems they have realized the problem and are working on it though. :)

For some cars, the sound is so off you cannot imagine it being sampled from the real thing. I just bought my first Enzo in the game and it sounds, well awful. It sounds more like a Ferrari V8 than a V12. Things like that is GT's biggest sound problem in my opinion.
Thet do have some decent sound samples in this game all they need is to redistribute them correctly, example:

-The sound sample From the Ford GT Race Car is the sound sample that should me used by the RM Vettes, Mercedes SLS Stealth and most other big V8s with a race exhaust.
-The Sound sample used by the ZR1 RM Vette is the sound sample that should be used by the Ferraris and 07 BMW M3 with the Racing Exhaust.
-The Ford GT Race car should use the same sound sample the Ford Falcon Race Car uses.
-The Zonda R and all V12 cars with a racing exhaust should use the sound sample from the Veyron with the race exhaust.
-The Sound sample from the Audi R8 LMS should be used for all V10 cars equiped with a Racing Exhaust.
-The GT-R TCs and pretty much all 6 cylinder cars with a race exhaust should use the same Sound Sample the Fairlady Concept LM uses.

This little tweaks can be easily done by PD and included on a small update. Small tweaks that would make the game so much more enjoiable.

My god, the sounds aren't entirely terrible now, just half terrible.

They ARE different but they have only turned the default bass levels up and the volumn.

Cars still sound like vacuum cleaners and blenders at high RPM.

They ARE different but they have only turned the default bass levels up and the volumn.

Lol!! It amazes me how some people will deny this fact to the death and get upset when someone points out the obvious!

Vacuum Cleaner joke = GT-R joke of sounds.

Damn, they doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner. The sounds still got some room for improvement but I'm quite happy with most of them.

Absolutely right. 👍

Absolutely right. 👍

Agreed, but what really frustrates me the most is that they have decent sound samples to replace those but yet they still let it go. Griffith, you need to get a job with PD and straighten things up! I am dead serious!

Jav
Agreed, but what really frustrates me the most is that they have decent sound samples to replace those but yet they still let it go. Griffith, you need to get a job with PD and straighten things up! I am dead serious!

Maybe you should!

Maybe we would actually have someone to put better things in! :D

Don't have updated GT5 (don't have gt5 right now) but oh boy oh boy they did remove this crappy FILTER effect.

That was the most annoying problem of all. Once you start to notice it then you just don't feel like driving anymore especially on N-ring straight. ONE BIG FILTER EFFECT FOR WHOLE STRAIGHT.. :) Super happy about that.

Jav
Sounds are still crap, clearer crap coming from different speakers but still crap!

Thet do have some decent sound samples in this game all they need is to redistribute them correctly, example:

-The sound sample From the Ford GT Race Car is the sound sample that should me used by the RM Vettes, Mercedes SLS Stealth and most other big V8s with a race exhaust.
-The Sound sample used by the ZR1 RM Vette is the sound sample that should be used by the Ferraris and 07 BMW M3 with the Racing Exhaust.
-The Ford GT Race car should use the same sound sample the Ford Falcon Race Car uses.
-The Zonda R and all V12 cars with a racing exhaust should use the sound sample from the Veyron with the race exhaust.
-The Sound sample from the Audi R8 LMS should be used for all V10 cars equiped with a Racing Exhaust.
-The GT-R TCs and pretty much all 6 cylinder cars with a race exhaust should use the same Sound Sample the Fairlady Concept LM uses.

This little tweaks can be easily done by PD and included on a small update. Small tweaks that would make the game so much more enjoiable.

It gives me a feel of relief to see that at least a few people like you gets the point perfectly! A thousand thumbs up to you, sir 👍 x 1000

How do the 20 million dollar cars sound now? Ah I gotta stop working and get home to find this out! /firstworldproblems

Jav

I don't agree with the word "crap" when defining the sounds, because I like some of them BUT you sir, are completelly, 100% right about the samples swap. Specially in the case of big V8s.

It's a good idea and would represent a good leap for those cars. Want to know? PD must read this for gods sake.

They can make sounds better if they so choose, they certainly have the resources to do so. All I hope to one day we can experience this sounds in GT5:

Is no one else bothered by the wide noise in roof/bonnet cam? If you have Spa take the F10 around there in T-Cam view and see what the sound is like over 50mph.

I take it you have only played GT5 and PGR4? Since that statement is opinion, and a far fetched one at that.

I have played many Need for Speed games, and even though their sounds match the number of cylinders a car has, it does not match that particular car. Need for Speed sounds are also exagerated. A stock car should sound like a stock car. It GT5, it sounds very much like its real life car.

I have also played Forza. Again, they have the correct sound for the number of cylinders, but is not accurate to that car, most of the time. Forza sounds with stock exhaust is the same as with racing exhaust. Why does my completely stock Mustang sound like its modified, with catless mid pipes and straight through mufflers.

GT5 car sounds with modified exhaust can use some help, but with stock exhaust, they are pretty accurate.

Honestly, can someone tweet KAZ this thread or the sound thread? Who knows if Kaz or any of his employees read GTPlanet, let alone the forums, but he needs to know the urgency of the matter ;). If the engine sounds get fixed to what they should be, then GT5 for me would be complete.

I haven't been paying much attention to GT lately but I signed on to update because I wanted to finally change some wheels on standards.

I was mostly driving cars I hadn't driven but I kept thinking that they actually sounded good. I was right!

I have played many Need for Speed games, and even though their sounds match the number of cylinders a car has, it does not match that particular car. Need for Speed sounds are also exagerated. A stock car should sound like a stock car. It GT5, it sounds very much like its real life car.

I have also played Forza. Again, they have the correct sound for the number of cylinders, but is not accurate to that car, most of the time. Forza sounds with stock exhaust is the same as with racing exhaust. Why does my completely stock Mustang sound like its modified, with catless mid pipes and straight through mufflers.

GT5 car sounds with modified exhaust can use some help, but with stock exhaust, they are pretty accurate.

While I understand what you mean, the bolded part is very untrue.

The stock sounds more beefy than it should in some cars, but upgrading the intake, exhaust, weight reductions, etc dramatically changes the sound. Unless you are refering to pre-FM4, your assesment is not correct.

Point is you should not have to sacrafice changing exhausts (or not) in order to get good sounds. PD has failed in this area big time. I would rather have semi-exaggerated sounds over the noise I hear in GT5.

Again people barely listen to sounds in GT5 to begin with. The stock vehicle engine notes are pretty much stock on, some are too quiet but they are definitely for the most part the exact engine notes. PD finally reworked the mix and let the engines sound like they did when they were recorded. Problem comes in when you apply different exhaust to the cars, as I said in previous threads it's as if the way the engine note is distorted is inverted or something; all the cars that apply the race exhaust the note goes so high as if you fitted the car with tiny pipes. In reality the engine note should get lower and the sound should get much louder and only at high rpms should the note change over from lower note to a slightly higher one(usually at a standstill) , has to do with the velocity of exhaust flow at higher rpms and what not. But PD is working on it, lets just take aim at the exhaust notes in particular, they should be lower toned for all cars once applied and the sound should increase by quite a few dB, racing exhaust should make pretty much every car louder than you care to hear. It should and supposed to be obnoxious, anyone who has ever been to a race track knows that standing within a few feet of an V8 race car when it's revving up, the sound can actually start making you feel sick it's so loud. Come on PD, lets get those exhaust sorted, racing exhaust is the one that is definitely off by a considerable amount.

Back