Spectators

If the Nurb actually looked the way it does in those scrns, minus the spectators, im talking the colors and the right plantlife, then that'd be great, and a more reasonable expectation for gt5.

In gt4 the asphault isn't even black, and the color of the light is this awkward golden color. The plantlife is also too 'idealized'. Fix that, and you have your atmosphere.

Maybe you should adjust the colors on your TV.. Colors are like they should be here....

I've many screens posted up by other people, and I've seen the screenshots from places like IGN, and my tv is not the problem..Is the asphault dark grey on your tv?

Im not saying the crowds aren't necessary, I just dont know how the PS3 can handle a couple hundred spectators and 22 cars on the field, on a massive track like the Nurb...with rain.

And even if it can, I stand by what I said, the Nurb doesn't even look right without spectators yet, or any course for that matter.

Compare these two pictures, the first one is a picture of the real Nordschleife tarmac and the second one is a GT4 shot.

P0003991_Vorschau.jpg

gt4-nurburgring-screens-20040729050108483.jpg

The colors are quiet right, no? (lighting is different)

Whats the problem?

In gt4 the asphault isn't even black, and the color of the light is this awkward golden color. The plantlife is also too 'idealized'. Fix that, and you have your atmosphere.

I've been to the 'ring and the surface in real life isn't black, in fact the GT4 track surface colour is not bad in terms of accuracy.

As far as lighting goes, well it depends on what time of the year and/or day you go; I must also confess to notbeing quite sure how a golden colour can be awkward?

I will agree that the plant-life is a bit generic in GT4, but given how much the PS2 is being pushed its to a degree understandable.

Regards

Scaff

You really need to be a GT fanboy to defend the lack of life in GT, that includes the poor 6-cars and no damage..:indiff:

Uhhhh I agree with the fact that GT4 has no life behind. But at the fanboy statement you should be aware of what site your on. IT"S A FANSITE. Also great job on bringing back a dead thread; just to write one measely sentence. BRAVO.....troll

Not really, I'd have preferred bigger grids and damage, but I can understand why they wern't there. I think you'd have to be more of a GT-hater to push thoes two things as huge negatives.

And before you start, I'm very pro-damage in racing games, I'm just not blind to the reality that it isn't easy to get permission for such a variety of virtual cars let alone to do it right. The grids were mainly processor limited, I don't see the big deal. There are far more worthy things to whinge about in GT than things that are to a big extent out of PD's hands.

I see where you are coming from, but I actually enjoyed the lack of spectators on the Nurb in GT4.....sure its great for circuits and rally's and what not, but I enjoyed hearing the pure sound of the engine and exhaust as the car flew down the straightaways and into the tight hairpins. Just me, the car, and the road......just my opinion.

Also mine. I limited my use of GT4 to the tracks WITHOUT crowds. I only drive in free ride mode and then watch replays, with different ghost cars to compare my drive with.

Seeing only one car on the track, and then having to hear again and again the same shouting and whistling become unsupportable imo.

Hope PD adds a button in GT5 to turn crowd cheering off. So everyone can have what he wants.

Bottom line... During a game's development cycle, there are Priority factors within the features to be implemented; this is done so that every member of the team working on the project keeps their heads leveled and keep the focus on the important stuff... Usually it goes like this:

P0: Major Feature; must be in the game "now".
P1: Important Feature; must be in the game for project milestone
P2: Necessary Feature; must be in the final game.
P3: Secondary Feature; Should be in the Final game unless there are complications.
P4: Wish-list/cool stuff/added bonus if we have time.

Crowd... P3
Realistic Vegetation... P4

Its that simple.

GT5 (or any other for that matter) is not a first person shooter set in world war 2 with an entire episode set in the woods of normandy... Its a Race Track with forest around it, technically only seen going at 150 miles per hour or alternatively, while watching a replay with the main focus put on the big black strip in the middle of the scene... same goes for the crowd.

naturally gt is better. all i said is that the gameplay experience takes a big hit because of the lack of spectators.
I don't agree with this, personally. Especially in Forza 2, where the spectators behave as if they're at a hockey game. Plus, they cycle through all the exaggerated scripts randomly, from high fisted jubilation to face grabbing despair. Plus the Nurb is still just too flat and wide. I think all they changed was the curb height.

I went back to GT4 and didn't miss the spotty crowds at all, because the track was so much more authentic.

I don't want to just dump water on a fire here. Having spectators is nice, and it is better to have them than not, but to say the experience takes a "big hit"... I think that's overdoing it. Except for a Nurb night race, then I'll agree with you. It would seem like racing on the moon.

Unfortunately the trend in the GT4 series has been fewer spectators with each new version of the game
which doesn't bother me at all.

What bothers me is that they make more noice with each new version of the game.

Just to show that there are people with another opinion. I won't even return to GT(5) if there is crowd noice during free lapping. I just can't support it. It downgrades the sound quality too much and it disturbes.

Latest Posts

Back