Spinning on rear wheels accelerating out of corners after apex

• Thread starter Jdsnake33
  • 2 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
So Ive read online that if you have exit under ster it's because weight transferring too quickly to rear so you increase front expansion stiffness to slow transfer of weight to rear and or stiffen rear compression and this should also help with spinning as the weight won't be transferred to the back of the car to fast which is why a car spins if fr or rr, for rollbars I don't know if a stiffer rear anti roll bar will make it harder for weight to transfer to back on acceleration thus making spinning harder and ditto with a stiffer rear suspension if that would help prevent rear spins on acceleration out of a corner.

Does down force and Lower rear ride height help or promote spins on acceleration out of a corner? I guess downforce would increase rear grip at the back so although it's transferring more weight to back of car in acceleration it's also making the back more able to handle acceleration without losing grip and spinning? Lower ride height puts more weight over back of car effectively so wouldn't thet promote spins and doesn't give extra grip like downforce.

Break bias to rear promotes over steer it is said but I'm not sure why as surely you'd want to transfer more weight to the front quicker to produce more turning and thus over steer not increase breaking at back of car thus lacking ability to turn in.

It just feels like you'd want to increase front break bias to prevent spins on acceleration out of corner because thet way the energy isn't as much in the rear and so the energy transfer under acceleration out the corner would be less likely to make car spin as further from grip limit due to less breaking at rear.

And Weight at the rear is obviously going to make the car more likely to spin under acceleration as spread of force is more uneven under acceleration.

A front heavy car on other hand surely will under steer but be stable under acceleration as there is less weight pressing on rear tires allowinng them more room to accelerate without exceeding grip limit and spinning.

Finally I've found that Lsd 10 accel and 20 breaking helps make car less likely to become unstable on chicances etc and helps with spinning under acceleration after breaking. For the latter one it's said that lower values of breaking lsd promote over steer and higher values make breaking more stable but more understeer so if still spinning with 20 you'd want to increase it to 30. But if your more struggling with not turning enough when breaking you'd want to lower it. But no one has really said any benefits to sometimes using a higher accel lsd at 20 in a way that makes sense. What does a higher accel asd useful or needed?

the kind of cars at moment I'm dealing with are tuned mini coopers s 65 and eunos roadster with 128hp tunning.

Last edited:
So Ive read online that if you have exit under ster it's because weight transferring too quickly to rear so you increase front expansion stiffness to slow transfer of weight to rear and or stiffen rear compression and this should also help with spinning as the weight won't be transferred to the back of the car to fast which is why a car spins if fr or rr, for rollbars I don't know if a stiffer rear anti roll bar will make it harder for weight to transfer to back on acceleration thus making spinning harder and ditto with a stiffer rear suspension if that would help prevent rear spins on acceleration out of a corner.

Does down force and Lower rear ride height help or promote spins on acceleration out of a corner? I guess downforce would increase rear grip at the back so although it's transferring more weight to back of car in acceleration it's also making the back more able to handle acceleration without losing grip and spinning? Lower ride height puts more weight over back of car effectively so wouldn't thet promote spins and doesn't give extra grip like downforce.

Break bias to rear promotes over steer it is said but I'm not sure why as surely you'd want to transfer more weight to the front quicker to produce more turning and thus over steer not increase breaking at back of car thus lacking ability to turn in.

It just feels like you'd want to increase front break bias to prevent spins on acceleration out of corner because thet way the energy isn't as much in the rear and so the energy transfer under acceleration out the corner would be less likely to make car spin as further from grip limit due to less breaking at rear.

And Weight at the rear is obviously going to make the car more likely to spin under acceleration as spread of force is more uneven under acceleration.

A front heavy car on other hand surely will under steer but be stable under acceleration as there is less weight pressing on rear tires allowinng them more room to accelerate without exceeding grip limit and spinning.

Finally I've found that Lsd 10 accel and 20 breaking helps make car less likely to become unstable on chicances etc and helps with spinning under acceleration after breaking. For the latter one it's said that lower values of breaking lsd promote over steer and higher values make breaking more stable but more understeer so if still spinning with 20 you'd want to increase it to 30. But if your more struggling with not turning enough when breaking you'd want to lower it. But no one has really said any benefits to sometimes using a higher accel lsd at 20 in a way that makes sense. What does a higher accel asd useful or needed?

the kind of cars at moment I'm dealing with are tuned mini coopers s 65 and eunos roadster with 128hp tunning.
Exactly which settings are optimal depends on the car and track. Some of my knowledge:

Adding downforce helps stabilize the rear during corners where downforce matters (so mid- to high-speed corners), but doesn't do much for low-speed corners since aerodynamic elements like wings and diffusers need airflow to be effective. For low-speed corners you'll especially want to tune the suspension and differential to minimize oversteer. Here are some tips:

• Decrease your rear bump rate to make the rear more stable on exit.
  • Also decrease your rear rebound rate to keep the weight pinned on the rear.
  • Lower your rear spring rate to aid traction.
  • Adjust your rear anti-roll bar to more evenly distribute weight between the tires. Too soft and the difference of grip between the outside and inside tires will pull the car around, but too hard and the outside tire may not get sufficient weight on it to maximize its grip, and you may encounter serious traction issues over bumps
  • Slow down your differential's lock rate so that it engages more gradually on the power.
  • As you said, decrease your rear ride height if needed to keep the weight pinned (though ideally you'd only adjust this if you can't get the desired behavior out of the car beforehand).

As for brake bias, that doesn't have anything to do with the exit phase of the corner. It's deciding which set of brakes - front or rear - gets more power and therefore locks up first. More front brake bias means your front tires approach limit of grip more quickly during the braking phase, improving stability at the risk of understeer. More rear brake bias is the same but on the rear, so more initial rotation at the risk of oversteer. I've gravitated towards preferring more rear brake recently as it's generally faster for me but what you choose ultimately depends on what you're comfortable with

Last edited:
You can sometimes have spinning unloaded drive wheel with ultra low LSD accelerate setting. It is in theory not accelerating as fast as it could but I find it hard to produce evidence that it is actually slower (like gaining/losing ground to a ghost reference).

You might bump up LSD accel to eliminate some oversteer while you are at full throttle in certain sections of a lap. You may try to increase grip at the front of the car as well. You might find you can lower rear downforce and add LSD accel and have the tune feel like nothing changed except for better kmph on long straights.

There is nothing wrong with having some reasonable LSD accel on your tune as long as you like how it drives and/or it improves lap times.

Back