Standard engine ?!?!?!

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 36 comments
Portugal
Lisboa
FLAT_TWELVE
The Fia proposes that F1 will have a standard engine from 2010 forward. This is absolutely crazy. Even when the Ford Cosworth engine ruled the grids, there was always, at least, the Ferrari engine (flat-12, what a sound it made!)engine to compete with it.

What do they have in mind? Do they think Ferrari would allow any third party engine into their cars? Or do they think Ferrari could suply engines for all the cars in the grid? And what about BMW, Honda, Toyota, Renault, Mercedes?

I understand that this is just a proposal to stir things up and get an agreement on something else, but I think that, even as a "tactical" move, it's a wrong one.

Ferrari, as the most emblematic team of F1, just has to say this: "We won't put someone else's engine in our cars. If we're forced to do it, our cars will race in other series". What does the FIA have to reply to this?

Source: http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/081017111303.shtml

Last edited:
If that happens, this isn't going to be called Formula One any more. Some things are better be left off as an idea instead of reality..... 👎

So Mercedes could end up telling BMW & Ferrari how to build engines? :odd:

Doesn't the FIA realize that regulations are the most expensive part of any business? Enough with all of this stupid cost-cutting crap. I want to see technology unleashed.

F1 is heading for fail if the FIA don't stop fannying about with knee-jerk regulation changes.

That´s just sad for the sport. F1 is pretty rapidly becoming a one-make series, only difference is that teams are allowed their own brand-name on their cars. Will it fool the fans? I have a hard time believing that.

I honestly think that Max has gone a little too far with this one.

Edit: Hmmm, maybe FIA wants the manufacturers to leave F1, and have smaller teams in instead? I don´t think any of the manufacturers would want an engine from someone else in their car, not even parts, as was "clarified". Small teams=less money spent.

Last edited:
Aye, he'll soon whip the grid into shape. Any dissenting teams will get the leather.

This is why I boycotted last season and will continue to boycott Formula 1. This ever-present push toward standardized cars is NOT the reason I used to watch the "sport".

If anyone hears about a replacement for Formula 1 where the regulations are lifted, please let me know so I can start watching it.

Wow, the mainstream American series haven't gone this far and they already get accused of having everyone drive the same car (I'm thinking NASCAR and IRL here).

FIA does realize that one-make race series are almost always support races for a reason, right?

I thought the IRL was a one make series.

Presumably this will just push the development costs of the aerodynamics even higher? If there's no gain to be found in the engine, where else can an advantage be found? The teams with the biggest budgets will find something to spend them on, even if it's on a new generation of ultra-light washers.

Roo
I thought the IRL was a one make series.
I thought it just met a standard set of restrictions but weren't same manufacture.

I could be wrong. I don't follow IRL rules that closely. I was almost a month into the season before I realized that Ethanol was required in all cars.

Checked an Autosport from earlier in the year, the IRL drivers all run Dallara Hondas.

Could just be that the FIA are putting an outlandish proposal out there and be intending to bargain the teams down to a less-outlandish but still radical engine plan which would not be accepted if they started with that, but the teams will agree to it if they think it's the lesser of two evils. Bernie Ecclestone might not be a member of the FIA, but that tactic has worked for him before. Could be that Mosely is taking a leaf out of Mr. E's book ...

What ever happened to the budget cap? That was actually a good idea.

This isn’t. This would neuter F1 if it came to be.

The FIA already got them to agree to a common ECU. That should be enough. Having a standard box means that the FIA can limit engine output by installing some constants in the box.

This is plain ridiculous... I'd rather see them blow the rules all wide open and resort to using air restrictors to level the playing field. This'll allow for more variety than before... Or even better... blow the rules wide open, then restrict fuel tank size to fifty liters. Would be a very interesting set of cars to see the grid next year... turbo I-4s... V6s, small V12s... turbodiesels (if anyone can make one light enough... BMW might...)... propane cars (a fifty-liter pressurized tank can hold more propane than a fifty-liter fuel cell...). F1s right now is just... well... just... :(

LeMans is technically more interesting... but it's such a limited field... and the hopelessly outdated rule structure (bigger air restrictors for diesels... no VGT for gassers, higher displacement limit for diesels) means the playing field is grossly unbalanced right now.

And 24 hour races are just so... yawn... long.

Could just be that the FIA are putting an outlandish proposal out there and be intending to bargain the teams down to a less-outlandish but still radical engine plan which would not be accepted if they started with that, but the teams will agree to it if they think it's the lesser of two evils. Bernie Ecclestone might not be a member of the FIA, but that tactic has worked for him before. Could be that Mosely is taking a leaf out of Mr. E's book ...

You've hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what the FIA is doing. They are famous for that specific tactic.

Could it be the proposal I heard on the news a couple of days ago regarding standardized gear boxes?

Quite rightly so I might add. Makes you wonder what the head of the FIA thinks formula 1 is all about :rolleyes:

Well good old ferrari rebbeling against it!
Good thing more teams should follow suit now, including toyotas team boss john howlett supporting them.Would the FIA dare that and let ferrari leave F1 and surely more would leave what on earth is spanky boy max trying to do here!

Well good old ferrari rebbeling against it!
Good thing more teams should follow suit now, including toyotas team boss john howlett supporting them.Would the FIA dare that and let ferrari leave F1 and surely more would leave what on earth is spanky boy max trying to do here!

With Bernie and Max running the Three Ring Circus w/ GREED; the teams represented by the auto manufacturers have earned enemies in F1's management structure. I believe the relationship would severely strain to break up.

Back