STAR WARS General Discussion | Warning: Possible SPOILERS!Movies 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 2,366 comments
Oh poo. Despite all this negativity, I don't see Abrams as the worst possible choice they could get.

With Star Trek, he made a decent film that, while it's not the best film ever made, was light years better than "Generations". Hell... it was better than at least half of the Star Trek films that came before it.

And this is from someone who only marginally enjoyed "Cloverfield", was left completely cold by "Super 8" (interesting premise and characters, but the movie fell a bit flat near the end) and who hates "Lost" with a passion.

The first trilogy of Star Wars had its moments, but it was nowhere near high cinema. The modern trilogy was a train wreck from beginning to end, with terrible acting, terrible dialogue and scripts that made about as much sense as a spastic fanfic.

Abrams is, at least, a better director at the moment than George Lucas was when he finished Episode III. And as long as the script-writing is good, I think he'll make a film worth watching.

Last edited:
Have you ever watched the pre-production phase of a James Bond film? Anyone and everyone remotely associated with the project - even if it's just the latest Page 3 Model that the tabloids are talking up by linking her to a role in the film - will talk about how the films were so important to them during their childhood. And it might be true, but there's no way to tell. After a while, you just take it with a grain of salt, because you know that they're just telling the fans what they want to hear to try and quell any doubts about their ability in the role and reassure the fans that everything will be okay. Even when they then proceed to massacre everything they touch about the film.

I seen no reason to believe this is anything different.

So, JJ Abrams knew he would be getting this gig almost 7 years ago and started spewing BS back then to reassure people that it will be OK?

Honestly, with abilities like that I think he is definitely the right man for the job.

I'm a Space and Science Fiction geek, so I'll watch them no matter what. I'm one of few people who liked the last trilogy.

I wonder if these will be live-action, theater releases in the same sense as Wolverine was part of the X-Men franchise, or if Disney will follow their own in-house Marvel model and make these straight to video animated films? They would be cheaper and quicker to distribute.

Even better, Disney signed a deal with Netflix recently that would put these on Netflix very quickly.

I don't know... I could stand to watch an Obi Wan or Boba Fett standalone movie at the theater... but if the releases are too close together, movie-goers could get Star Wars fatigue... :P

First two stand alone films confirmed as focusing on a young Han Solo and Boba Fett.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=99975

Less than 24 hours after Walt Disney Pictures officially confirmed plans to develop stand-alone feature films in the Star Wars universe, EW is reporting that they have learned which two characters the first two projects will focus on: Boba Fett and a young Han Solo.

Edit: :lol:

734698_462125613836750_178846917_n.png

Last edited:
I want some real character development from Boba Fett and Han Solo, not just action after action scenes :D Still, this is a good news, there are many great things possible with these 2 characters, now we can learn more about Boba Fett adventure hunting down the rebels, I actually more interested in this character than the scruffy looking Han Solo.

I want some real character development from Boba Fett and Han Solo, not just action after action scenes :D Still, this is a good news, there are many great things possible with these 2 characters, now we can learn more about Boba Fett adventure hunting down the rebels, I actually more interested in this character than the scruffy looking Han Solo.

Read some of the books. Boba's not all action. He has a moral code and is very tactical and strategic. If they base these films on some of the books they have the potential to be good.

Interesting video debate on this:

*Language warning*

Sticking it 30 years after RotJ makes sense if they want to make any use of the original cast. Certain events set around 30 years later in the novels do involve Han and Luke (Dark Nest Crisis, Swarm War), provided they don't just whitewash them for the movies which I can still see JJ doing.

Also looks like Adam Driver is touted to play the "unnamed villain" - possibly Darth Caedus - if rumours can be trusted.

Last edited:
Sticking it 30 years after RotJ makes sense if they want to make any use of the original cast. Certain events set around 30 years later in the novels do involve Han and Luke (Dark Nest Crisis, Swarm War), provided they don't just whitewash them for the movies which I can still see JJ doing.

Also looks like Adam Driver is touted to play the "unnamed villain" - possibly Darth Caedus - if rumours can be trusted.

I would hope this happens.

I'm really looking forward to these new releases. Huge fan of JJ's (even though many hate his style) and can't wait to see what he comes up with. Was never a fan of Star Trek and he pulled me in with the recent releases.

Nope, I say power to him. With the fanbase in question there is no way ep.7 will live up to expectations. I respect the guy for having the nerve to even try. 👍

The great thing about Star Wars for Abrams is that there is so much room to improve. Let's face it, none, not one, of the Star Wars movies is just a complete wall-to-wall masterpiece, with Episode V being far and away the closest to it. If we hold Abrams to the standard of the movie that exist, and not the potential that exists, he's got a wonderful opportunity to succeed. Same was true with Star Trek.

Unlike Star Trek, Star Wars hasn't been done again and again. For Star Trek we had the original, original movies, TNG, TNG movies, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise - and as TV shows, there was a lot of material. Estimates are that it would take a month of watching straight (no sleeping) to watch it all. For Star Wars there are 6 movies (not counting cartoons). You could kill that in a day if you wanted to. So if anything I'd say Abrams has more opportunity with Star Wars than Star Trek, and we all know that Star Trek turned out quite nicely (again, not perfect, but nice).

The great thing about Star Wars for Abrams is that there is so much room to improve. Let's face it, none, not one, of the Star Wars movies is just a complete wall-to-wall masterpiece, with Episode V being far and away the closest to it. If we hold Abrams to the standard of the movie that exist, and not the potential that exists, he's got a wonderful opportunity to succeed. Same was true with Star Trek.

Unlike Star Trek, Star Wars hasn't been done again and again. For Star Trek we had the original, original movies, TNG, TNG movies, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise - and as TV shows, there was a lot of material. Estimates are that it would take a month of watching straight (no sleeping) to watch it all. For Star Wars there are 6 movies (not counting cartoons). You could kill that in a day if you wanted to. So if anything I'd say Abrams has more opportunity with Star Wars than Star Trek, and we all know that Star Trek turned out quite nicely (again, not perfect, but nice).
One problem. Star Trek has been so far all over the spectrum that it was possible to reboot with a story to explain why everything is different. While it isn't perfect, every abnormality can be described as being because of an alternate timeline, which was not new to that universe.

Star Wars has no such easily exploited canon. If one thing is off there is no way to explain it. He has the benefit of setting it in the future, but any changes from known canon must have a backstory.

Time travel is an easily exploitable cop out. Age is not.

Age is not.

Not quite.

By the time these movies arrive in theaters, most of the original Star Wars fanbase will have approached or surpassed 40, and they don't wave their money at every new release (due to to jaundiced experiences and apathy). They're not a prime movie-going audience, anyhow. It's the 18-25 crowd that still finds time to see movies in greater quantities - their consumption will drown out the complaints of a few old bellyachers.

Just my two cents. Still rather interested, but I guess that depends on how good/bad the next one is...but nothing bests one's nostalgia.

Not quite.
20 years didn't make us forget that Han shot first. More years and older characters won't make us forget how the characters work. These younger kids watch the originals too. There's a reason that all but an insane few don't like the prequels.

They'll make money, for sure. But the fans won't be forgiving if it sucks.

They'll make money, for sure. But the fans won't be forgiving if it sucks.

I think we're going to get reviews along the lines of "it's not great but still better than 90% of what's out there".

Still excited enough to not care about possible plot spoilers until I buy my ticket, though.

Star Wars: Episode VII Cast Announced
The Star Wars Team are thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Star Wars: Episode VII will be directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, and John Williams is returning as the composer. The movie opens worldwide on December 18, 2015.

Back