Starfield

I have cloud GPU for a month so I'm going to give this a proper go this weekend. Thinking of concentrating on the space stuff as I don't really have any other games like that (NMS is just way too complicated at this point to jump back in after almost a decade). Space Scoundrel sounds about right. Maybe I can see if there is a browncoat for my character to wear.
From what I remember, the space stuff is far and few in-between as far as content goes. It's mostly just a fast travel system. Thr combat is fun but it gets pretty repetitive as it's basically just fast travel to a planets orbit and engage. It's not terrible per se, but it gets boring fast.

From what I remember, the space stuff is far and few in-between as far as content goes. It's mostly just a fast travel system. Thr combat is fun but it gets pretty repetitive as it's basically just fast travel to a planets orbit and engage. It's not terrible per se, but it gets boring fast.
Judging by some comments the whole game gets boring fast :lol:

I’ll give it a go. Will probably just end up spending the whole time designing a ship.

Judging by some comments the whole game gets boring fast :lol:

I’ll give it a go. Will probably just end up spending the whole time designing a ship.
It's not really boring at all. I think people today are so riddled with ADD that if it doesn't have explosions, flashing lights and monsters everywhere they can't hold an attention span of more than 15 minutes. Starfield can be what you make of it. If you just jump on maybe 2-3 hours a week, like all the time I have if that, it can be a very fun get away.

It's not really boring at all. I think people today are so riddled with ADD that if it doesn't have explosions, flashing lights and monsters everywhere they can't hold an attention span of more than 15 minutes. Starfield can be what you make of it. If you just jump on maybe 2-3 hours a week, like all the time I have if that, it can be a very fun get away.
I don't exactly disagree but there are parts of the game that are just so lackluster. The quests can be both simultaneously amazing, and extremely lack luster at the same time. I did get a great many hours out of it, but it's just so inconsistent that when you finish up all the parts that made it great, it definitely does get extremely boring. Each part of the game seems to have that double edged feeling to it. Not that you can't get fun out of it, because I certainly did, but it more or less falls completely on its face at some point. It's almost like hitting a brick wall.

I don't exactly disagree but there are parts of the game that are just so lackluster. The quests can be both simultaneously amazing, and extremely lack luster at the same time. I did get a great many hours out of it, but it's just so inconsistent that when you finish up all the parts that made it great, it definitely does get extremely boring. Each part of the game seems to have that double edged feeling to it. Not that you can't get fun out of it, because I certainly did, but it more or less falls completely on its face at some point. It's almost like hitting a brick wall.
In a sense you're right. You can tell that this was supposedly 25 years worth of rushed through. The lack of in depth canon, fetch mission everywhere. I'm using a lot of mods so that helps, especially with the combat. I'm also doing a Fallout 4 playthrough in parallel with Starfield and you can tell that Fallout 4 has a bit more depth however I would never tell anyone to not play Starfield. It has many good moments.

Last edited:
I think I am beginning to hit the brick wall, been a few days since I've played and I am at the point where I think I will rush to finish the main story and move on. I got the game on sale, so I feel like I had a good time overall but I've just not been excited to jump back in lately.

I'm not sure how many hours into the game I am, maybe 50-60ish, but I really did enjoy the game quite a lot at first but the main story just isn't hooking me in even this far into the game and the side-quests don't feel sufficient enough, for the most part. I had a lot of fun exploring the main areas and a few quests were really interesting, but like you said, once you finish the good parts there isn't all that much to draw you in.

I agree exactly. Now I can't say Starfield was a bad purchase, I must have put at least 20 hours into it. But once the initial shine wore off it all became a bit repetetive. There are still good things in the game and I'm sure some good quests I've not found yet, but it's everything in between. The last time I played I exited the game within 30 minutes as I just didn't have the desire to walk for 10 minutes to scan something or shoot something again.

But certainly early on, I was having a blast. There's a lot to this game, it's just not that deep.

For the record, a big part of why I think I can't get back into it is that I rarely have time to boot up a game and play for a couple of hours. Most of my play time is 30 mins here, 45 mins there. And Starfield is the type of game that just isn't very good for getting into for a quick play here and there for me, especially when I've not played for a while and don't have any idea where I am or what I was in the middle of the last time.

Last edited:
Why are all the prebuilt ships so big and ugly? I just want something small and nimble, not some multi-decked freighter monstrosity. I’m still early in the game so hopefully something nicer turns up. Trying not to use guides/wikis so I’ve probably missed something that would fit the bill.

Why are all the prebuilt ships so big and ugly? I just want something small and nimble, not some multi-decked freighter monstrosity. I’m still early in the game so hopefully something nicer turns up. Trying not to use guides/wikis so I’ve probably missed something that would fit the bill.
Word of advice, never buy a ship. You get given about 6 ish throughout the game through missions & you've also got the chance to steal anything that takes your fancy. Once you've got enough money just convert it into whatever design you want.

My ship which is a conversion of 1 of my many gifted ships is only 7 blocks wide, 6 blocks long, 3 blocks high, however living space & cockpit is all on 1 level so no stairs once you enter through the dock.

4x high power particle cannon turrets
8x high power auto particle cannons
All class C parts including 6x hidden engines you get for completing a certain mission
Movements in the 90s, obviously you can go faster using class a or b but my ship is a outright killer (no prisoners)
Over 10000 cargo space all designed in a small package better than this game could ever offer you.

I legitimately played through many runs making different decisions until I settled on how I wanted to leave it at ng+12, now I'm messing around with all the mods.

Last edited:
I think I am beginning to hit the brick wall, been a few days since I've played and I am at the point where I think I will rush to finish the main story and move on.
I've reached a part in the main storyline that I find very intriguing, in fact probably the first time since starting the game where I am very interested in how things will play out. I suppose that's the thing with large open-world games like this, there is so much to do that you do the main story in fragments and don't get invested too much in it. But even if I focused on the main quest it still would have taken a long time to reveal the "mysteries" of the game. Which I guess is the point?

In any case, I know the main story isn't the most important aspect of the game but I'm happy I'm back into it and won't be putting it down and forgetting about it.

Encountered the old Skyrim curse of restarting about a dozen times because I couldn't decide on a character, but finally settled on one to try & make some progress. Going with a science/social build as I usually ignore those, so something different. As I was warned the ship/space parts of the game are incredibly disappointing, so I'll just fast travel from the menus most of the time. Trying to decide whether to build my main outpost on the same planet as my "dream home", or find somewhere else.

Encountered the old Skyrim curse of restarting about a dozen times because I couldn't decide on a character, but finally settled on one to try & make some progress. Going with a science/social build as I usually ignore those, so something different. As I was warned the ship/space parts of the game are incredibly disappointing, so I'll just fast travel from the menus most of the time. Trying to decide whether to build my main outpost on the same planet as my "dream home", or find somewhere else.
That's a shame that the space portion isn't so great, I'd love it to be substantial.
Howard with his talk pre-release of how it was all that, and you could live the space pirate thing etc..
His usual pr talk..

I completed the game... or at least I got to the credits screen that is. Because I am not sure if that was the true ending or not. Overall, I really enjoyed the game even though I definitely did only scratch the surface and not do nearly all the things the game had to offer. I'll likely keep chipping away at some side-quests I missed and things like that and I will be interested the play the DLC when that launches.

At the end of the game you get to make a choice to either enter a new dimension and become Starborn or to return to the same dimension you came from and continue playing the game (I think) before you need to go make the choice to enter the new dimension again. I chose to enter a new dimension but I get the impression I can continue playing as a Starborn through the game again, but maybe some things are different. Didn't progress much because I don't want to play through again just yet. May load a previous save and continue my original playthrough a bit more.

Last edited:
so it's a Mako
That's the first thing I thought of watching the video, specifically when they showed the vehicle using boosters to jump around it looked very Mako/Nomad like.

I jumped back into the game to try it out but sadly did not have enough money to buy it since I am basically at the beginning of the game again with no previous save to load my original play-through.

Last edited:
I gave the game a decent go but, compared to other recent RPGs like BG3 and Cyberpunk, the whole thing just feels so ancient. Especially the character interactions and conversations, it really hasn't progressed much since my first Bethesda RPG experience (Oblivion - almost 20 years ago).

I checked out some gameplay with the new buggy, it seems pretty well done and fun, more fun than the one in me andromeda.

Gravity on each planet affects it quite a bit, you can shoot from it, forward boost, jump boost, shoot while in jump boost, jump out while in jump boost, seems to handle, animate well with suspension reaction etc.

It surely will make exploring much less slow and annoying for those generated planets i guess.

I just hope it doesn't break, unbalance the challenge of fights and exploring.

Anyhow, makes me look forward to it more, it will be great if they keep adding, improving the game for long., especially with quality stuff like that.
Hopefully expand also on the space part of it, as it seems lacking from all i read.

Last edited:
You can now preorder the Shattered Space DLC... which is £30... For a DLC story expansion...

Can't imagine it selling well at that price?

You can now preorder the Shattered Space DLC... which is £30... For a DLC story expansion...

Yeah, bit steep but if I recall the DLC expansion for Cyberpunk was also the same price. Not saying it makes it right but maybe the DLC is substantial enough. I'll be getting it.

Also. Weeeeeeeee
1000017554.jpg

Shadow of the Erdtree DLC for Elden Ring is $40/£35 and has sold 5million copies so far.

Yeah, bit steep but if I recall the DLC expansion for Cyberpunk was also the same price. Not saying it makes it right but maybe the DLC is substantial enough. I'll be getting it.

Also. Weeeeeeeee
View attachment 1382891
You can shoot the buggy with the resize gun, wouldn't go bigger than x1.5 or x2 max though, tried x10 & it just looked..... erm, buggy.

Last edited:
Shadow of the Erdtree DLC for Elden Ring is $40/£35 and has sold 5million copies so far.
Which means I'm probably wrong about the DLC sales for Starfield...

It's concerning if we're moving towards the point where every DLC expansion costs £35, as that means "Complete Editions" of nearly £150 per game, for every AAA game (Assassins Creed Valhalla was already this if you bought the "Ultimate Edition on release and then had to buy Ragnarok separately).

It's concerning if we're moving towards the point where every DLC expansion costs £35, as that means "Complete Editions" of nearly £150 per game, for every AAA game (Assassins Creed Valhalla was already this if you bought the "Ultimate Edition on release and then had to buy Ragnarok separately).
Yeah, but im patient usually😁, i can wait for deals, i got valhalla for 20 bucks max i think, and can wait for bundles sale or dlc sale.
It is expensive, for what it adds in proportion to the main games it seems, in many cases.

But that's always been the case i guess, im not paying 20 bucks even for a much smaller dlc than the main game when that's what i pay for the full game.😋

Last edited:

I am not an expert on the topic at all and there are probably articles on it out there, but I think about this a lot… games today (base games, not including deluxe/premium/gold/whatever editions and DLC) are cheaper than ever before, offer hours and hours more entertainment yet cost more and more to develop. In 1996 a typical new Playstation game was $50 USD and in 2024 dollars that’s nearly $100, so we are paying less today for way more entertainment if you think of it that way.

In other words, at least we still have the option today to pay “only” $60/70 for a base game and choose to pay additional for more content if we want, I’d start worrying if a base game cost $100 and then DLC inflated that price even further. Best bet is to wait and grab complete versions of the games on sale to get the best value anyways.

I am not an expert on the topic at all and there are probably articles on it out there, but I think about this a lot… games today (base games, not including deluxe/premium/gold/whatever editions and DLC) are cheaper than ever before, offer hours and hours more entertainment yet cost more and more to develop. In 1996 a typical new Playstation game was $50 USD and in 2024 dollars that’s nearly $100, so we are paying less today for way more entertainment if you think of it that way.

In other words, at least we still have the option today to pay “only” $60/70 for a base game and choose to pay additional for more content if we want, I’d start worrying if a base game cost $100 and then DLC inflated that price even further. Best bet is to wait and grab complete versions of the games on sale to get the best value anyways.
As long as you're not overly bothered about having the latest game as soon as it's released, its always worth waiting 6 months or so and getting on sale for say 40% off. I guess there's always an element of peer pressure, especially with online stuff, but if the game is largely offline single-player there's no rush. There's always that 'big must-have release' from 6 months ago that's just come on sale to fill in the time!

There's very little i've bought at full price (if anything) in recent years. I think thast couple of Triple-A titles i've played - Cyberpunk and Witcher 3, i ended up getting both discounted and with all the DLC included.

The game is slowly starting to grow on me, even though I still think it's too soft for a Bathesda RPG.
I got way more enjoyment out of it by making it like hardcore/survival mode in the Fallout games, using 22 mods and counting also helped.

Screenshot 2024-08-23 165314.jpg

Last edited:
The game is slowly starting to grow on me, even though I still think it's too soft for a Bathesda RPG.
I got way more enjoyment out of it by making it like hardcore/survival mode in the Fallout games, using 22 mods and counting also helped.

View attachment 1383517
Pretty good, the game doesn't let you adjust some of these with difficulty settings? On console.

Last edited:

I remember a time when £10 for a game was steep. The games back then, also took about 15 minutes to boot up, so the majority of your initial enjoyment was "what was the boot screen going to look like once that loaded 1... line... at... a... time.

£35 for an expansion is about what PSX games cost mid-console lifecycle IIRC as well.

Back