STOLEN: My MX5. Found, not necessarily in one piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeforsummer

Bonbonbonbons!
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Sorry to clog up the boards with this and I know it has limited relevance in an international forum, but hopefully any UK members here can pass the word round.

My white 1991 mazda MX5 has just been stolen, at about 21:45 from West Jesmond in Newcastle. Registration number is J776 PPG.

Police have already been round and it's been picked up on a few ANPR cameras, last seen on the A69 having also been seen on the A1.

Pictures:

dm1.jpg

dm8.jpg

dm5.jpg

dm4-1.jpg

If anybody sees it, spots it on ebay or anything, please let me know ASAP.

Any information will be very much appreciated. Please post this info on any forum you might feel relevant.

Cheers guys.

Retweeted details, hope Danger Mouse is recovered ok and the twit(s) that stole him get dealt with appropriately 👍

Here I am thinking I was having a bad day. Damn man, that sucks. Hopefully you get it back and in good shape.

duuuude no!!! this sucks. Not much I can do from here but cheer you. Hope you get the Roadster back soon and unharmed.

You sure kept that MX5 in real great shape for a '91. The jacker was probably surprised as well. The well kept shape got the robber's interest so he/she stole it.

That sucks man. Hopefully you get it back in one piece.

Was it insured at all, or are you pretty much f'd in the a if you don't get it back?

Is the slave still leaking? Are the brakes fully fixed? If one of those isn't, Danger Mouse may be undriveable soon and you can find him.

👎 Lameness.

I hope you can recover it or at least find the person who stole it.

When this dude gets caught, only one punishment comes to mind. If he likes Miata's so much, he should be sentenced to live in one for a year, a first gen at that!

When this dude gets caught, only one punishment comes to mind. If he likes Miata's so much, he should be sentenced to live in one's trunk for a year, a first gen at that!

Fixed for a more specific punishment.:P

Really hope you find it.

Damn... that sucks. Reminds me.. I've gotta get a kill switch installed in my car to prevent that...

-

I hope DM gets recovered soon... does insurance in the UK cover against theft? Won't make up for the time and love you've sunk into the car, but at least you can get something back...

Oh no. If I was in your area I'd go out with you to try and find this sucker. I hope with all the cameras and whatnot the are scattered about over there the police will be able to track it down in one piece. If they know what direction it has been going they may already have an idea of where it went or where it's headed. It's been over 6 hours since you posted, so I seriously hope they're hard at work on this right now.

Wow this really sucks to hear. Such an awesome car.

Good luck getting it back and still in good shape!

Message reposted on Facebook - I know quite a few MX5ers. Will let you know if I hear anything. Good luck getting him back.

Jebus.

Wifey is up that way often. She will keep her peels eyed.

Hi guys, bit of an update, good and bad news.

Good news: It's been found.

Bad news: It's been crashed.

Police control room rang me up this morning. The woman on the phone doesn't know the extent of the damage but told me it had been crashed into a pole (the object rather than the nationality) and has front end damage.

Bit unfortunate as this presumably means the worthless scumbag (I've been using other words this morning but unfortunately I'm bound by the AUP here) who took it has probably walked away unhurt. I was hoping that if it was to be damaged in any way they'd managed to crash in a fiery ball of death off a cliff and wipe their seed off the earth forever, but this isn't the case.

Anyway, it's at a garage now somewhere in the middle of nowhere who I'm about to call to assess the damage. Got several options depending on the extent but if I'm honest I would have been hoping for none of them...

Regardless, thank you to everyone who spread the word. Guess we can call off the search now!

If you're lucky it's a glancer and, though there'll be subframe damage (requiring of a bit of a tug), most of the replacement parts will be body and electrical (and probably much of the suspension on that side - and suspension should be replaced in pairs). The alternative is... less good. Let us know. We can provide labour.

Of course, quite how you drive an MX-5 face-first into something escapes me. An MX-5 crash should be sideways, backwards or, if you're very talented, upside-down.

That's what I was thinking. The last time it was damaged by anyone, I'm presuming an owner, it came away with a damaged rear quarter. I know this because whoever repaired it did a solid but not particularly pretty job.

Last time it was stolen was ten years ago.

I suspect if cars could talk, this one would probably tell me it's getting a little bit fed up of being stolen and crashed by now.

Famine, have you ever heard of companies doing full shells for MX5s? A buyers' guide in one of my mags reckons there's a company who does (Autolink) but there's nowt about it on their website. The mag also reckoned it'd only be £250 for a full shell. I'm aware this will literally be just the bare shell with no wings, bonnet, boot etc, but I'll be giving it serious consideration now as repair costs will probably go over and above just rebuilding it from scratch.

We've been out of the loop for a little while, but we can ask about.

Man, I hope his 🤬 will fall off for doing that to your car.
Fingers crossed the damage is repairable.

Damage sounds pretty bad over the phone. Sounds like it's gone sideways into something, or scraped via something.

Over the phone, I've been told the bootlid and rear wing are damaged, the door has been stoved in, the front wing is hanging off (all on the driver's side, or right-hand side) and the bonnet is damaged as well as both headlight covers missing.

Again, the AUP doesn't really allow me to express how dis-chuffed I am.

The police have yet to inspect it so the garage holding it can't do a proper damage assessment, so all of that is based on what they can actually see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back