STOLEN: My MX5. Found, not necessarily in one piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez. Crashed? I was more worried about taken apart and sold, bit by bit, on the black market.

I do hope it can be repaired, and that there's no frame damage. Anyone wanna start a collection via PayPal?

Quick answer, it was 1996 when Mazda changed their OBDI-like in-house wiring loom arrangement for the OBDII-like in-house wiring loom arrangement.

March, I think.

And he'd just need the engine loom and ECU from an OBDII-like model.
If Mazda used an immobilizer system, yes. But if they did it like Honda and didn't use that then car car is just as vulnerable as any older car, like my Civic was. As time has gone on the "OBD2" systems in cars are hardly OBD2 anymore by virtue of how the electronic gizmos communicate with one another; systems these days are almost proprietary.

Take a new Mazda for example. The radio is an integral component in the starting of the engine. If somebody breaks into your car and steals your radio they've just gone through a lot of trouble for nothing, because not only will the radio not work until it has communicated with all the other computers in that individual car (the gauge cluster being another, besides the PCM and whatever else a company might use), but the engine won't start until the PCM has communicated with the radio, cluster, etc. They're all intertwined. You can't even take the radio from one 3 and put it in another without rooting through a diagnostic computer to reset codes and whatnot. In order to steal cars with systems like these you would literally need the diagnostic computer and software from the dealership, a technicians thorough knowledge of how to do this, and a contact on the other end of the tech line who will confirm your name, your dealership, authorize the procedure, and give you the codes required to complete it. Without those, stealing the car, much less stealing the radio, is impossible.

While my buddy's 2001 Miata had a chip in the key, the car could still be stolen by a crook persistent enough to fiddle with radio transponders. There's no particular date when car companies started going crazy with these Controller Area Network diagnostics, it's just something they started doing.

Yeah depends on the car. My '99 Saab won't start if the stock CD player is changed. As you said, has to have codes reset with diagnostic tools. Even to get new keys I have to send my details off to Sweden, and about 2k later I'll have two new keys and a new security computer matched to the keys.

So they've been doing it since at least then, but I suspect earlier.

Love old vehicles for simplicity, sadly thiefs do too :( My truck computer runs the fuel injection and the OBD-I system, nothing else. I can run it without a radio, without a cluster, without a battery if I start it before disconnecting, anything.

Hope DM is easy to fix up HFS!!

If Mazda used an immobilizer system, yes. But if they did it like Honda and didn't use that then car car is just as vulnerable as any older car, like my Civic was. As time has gone on the "OBD2" systems in cars are hardly OBD2 anymore by virtue of how the electronic gizmos communicate with one another; systems these days are almost proprietary.

Take a new Mazda for example. The radio is an integral component in the starting of the engine. If somebody breaks into your car and steals your radio they've just gone through a lot of trouble for nothing, because not only will the radio not work until it has communicated with all the other computers in that individual car (the gauge cluster being another, besides the PCM and whatever else a company might use), but the engine won't start until the PCM has communicated with the radio, cluster, etc. They're all intertwined. You can't even take the radio from one 3 and put it in another without rooting through a diagnostic computer to reset codes and whatnot. In order to steal cars with systems like these you would literally need the diagnostic computer and software from the dealership, a technicians thorough knowledge of how to do this, and a contact on the other end of the tech line who will confirm your name, your dealership, authorize the procedure, and give you the codes required to complete it. Without those, stealing the car, much less stealing the radio, is impossible.

While my buddy's 2001 Miata had a chip in the key, the car could still be stolen by a crook persistent enough to fiddle with radio transponders. There's no particular date when car companies started going crazy with these Controller Area Network diagnostics, it's just something they started doing.

I thought the green flashing key displayed on the dash on Honda's was for the immobiliser, as in reading the chip in the key.

Lets not over react here, HFS's car was crashed into a lamp post, chances are it was kids going for it because its an old car with no immobiliser.

A later model with a chip in the key would probably still be sitting at his house, I don't think they are THAT easy to steal, they certainly reduced car theft massively in this country, was your friends car actually stolen?

Lets face it, if a group of proffesional/hardened criminals want your car that badly (which I doubt, we are only talking about a late 90's MX5 here) they will just rob your house or carjack you, its a hell of a lot easier for them.

agh this sucks even more. Do you know when will you have the chance to see the car? It sounds pretty bad... here's hoping at least the enthusiasm will assault you again and you can bring it back. I'm really sorry to hear this, man.

You can always take matters into your own hands and wire in a switch in an inconspicuous and hard to find location to disconnect the ECU. They'll be able to hotwire the starter, but with effectively no ECU, the engine won't turn over.

-

Sad to hear the news. It was a given possibility that the car would be stripped when found... but crashed is so much worse.

*some things*

Err... the question was when MX-5s got standard immobilisers. The answer is 1996 when they switched from in-house OBDI-like looms to in-house OBDII-like looms.

Only just spotted this thread. I feel terrible for you HFS.

I had my motorbike nicked years ago when it was in absolutely mint condition for it turn turn up 2 weeks later with all the locks smashed and crashed multiple times on both sides. I was completely gutted but took it back without making an insurance claim as the write off value was an insult and at the time I couldn't afford to pay the difference to get something decent. I patched it up but never felt the same about it again. To rub salt into the wound the only involvement from the police was to phone me to tell me where it had been dumped as they weren't interested in making any investigations.

Even though the scumbags weren't injured crashing your car try to take some comfort that as they the turds of society and will never come close to having a life as good as yours and even though they royally 🤬 up your year you can use this as an opportunity to upgrade your motor which will be better in the long run. Chin up mate.

Thanks for all the comments, everyone.

Little update from today.

• Rang the garage holding the car again, apparently the police have checked it over now and it's mine to collect
  • Problem is, I need to collect it before midday tomorrow at a cost of £200, or incur an extra £20 a day for every day they hold it. Needless to say, I'm collecting it tomorrow.
  • Getting a flatbed to take it from current location back home where it'll sit forlornly for a bit
  • Contacted insurance not to actually claim, but to get their advice. Very helpful, have marked it on my policy but it's not a claim so no suffering there. It'll get picked up from home for free and inspected to give it a write-off classification (since to all intents and purposes it *will* be written off)
  • After that, I basically decide what I want to do with it. I'll likely claim since they seem okay that it wasn't taken from my home address (thought they'd get uppity about that), and I'll decide whether it's worth me doing anything with

Current plan is probably to store it in the garage and in the meantime, get another car. That way I can repair the MX5 as and when I can afford it. Most likely plan to repair it if it's as bad as I think it is, is to buy a non-runner and drop the hopefully un-damaged engine from my car into that.

As for daily driver options, I'll be probably taking a loan out and buying something no more than 7-8 years old, most likely diesel and most likely FWD. I've got a few ideas in mind and none of them are as depressing as you'd expect.

Err... the question was when MX-5s got standard immobilisers. The answer is 1996 when they switched from in-house OBDI-like looms to in-house OBDII-like looms.

The immobilizers that I know of didn't show up until 2001. At least in the USA.

The immobilizers that I know of didn't show up until 2001. At least in the USA.

NBs got them as standard in 1998 when they launched. "Our" '98 1.8i NB had one as standard. Our '97 Berkeley NA had a standard one too. MX-3s got them at the same time - pre-1995 running the OBDI-like loom didn't have them (Marvin, my '93, doesn't), post-1995 running the OBDII-like loom did (Red, my '98, does).

With Miatas, YMMV.

Last edited:
As the proud owner of an NA MX-5, I'd like to join you in ripping the nucking futs off the little bar stewards that stole your car.

Truly heartbreaking, mate. But don't let it make you so depressed that you buy a FWD crapbox :sly:

With Miatas, YMMV.
My point was just that even immobilizer-equipped cars can be stolen relatively easy by a person who has the tools. But with CAN-equipped cars it's not possibly for a typical crook to get all the required tools in the same place at the same time, unless he's the technician on duty, in which case everyone knows who you are already.

So if HFS wants a joyride-proof Miata - or anything - he needs a CAN equipped car, like an NC.

My point was just that even immobilizer-equipped cars can be stolen relatively easy by a person who has the tools. But with CAN-equipped cars it's not possibly for a typical crook to get all the required tools in the same place at the same time, unless he's the technician on duty, in which case everyone knows who you are already.

So if HFS wants a joyride-proof Miata - or anything - he needs a CAN equipped car, like an NC.

Nobody who wants an MX-5 would want an NC.

The point of immobilisers - and Diskloks, alarms, deadlocks and any user-based security device you want - isn't to stop them taking your car. If they want your car, nothing will stop them. If they can't drive it, they'll Hi-Ab it - or they'll break into your house, threaten you at gunpoint and take your keys.

They exist to deter casual thieves. hfs's NA had no security and no visible security. A Disklok or a blinking red light means it's a less tempting target than the next car which doesn't have them - on this occasion, his car was the next car which didn't have them.

Nothing will stop a determined thief. Anything will stop a casual thief. In this instance, £40 of parts and a couple of days of remedial work means he gets to keep his actual MX-5 (rather than that Focus in a frock) and *face to glass* we'll go for an easier target.

Incidentally, wandering around the streets at night with the tools required to take an immobilised car is a brilliant way to get 5yr in prison. "Going equipped" is often treated as harshly as the actual crime.

Weird, because I don't remember seeing an immoilizer system until 2001. It may have been different for US spec cars.

Famine
With Miatas, YMMV.

They're hideous, fat, bland, soft, heavy Ford Focuses. The only MX-5 people I know with NCs are in their 50s and above.

The NC might be the best small sports car at present, but it's an MX-5 in name alone. If you want the MX-5 you've heard about, you want an NB/NA.

Being a Ford Focus is, I'm afraid, not a solveable issue. Nor the hideousness and heaviness. Even the Eibach pack - which the original show and concept was presented with, but deleted from the production version - only brings the car more in line with expectation.

For every £/$10 spent on an NC improving it, you can spend £/$1 on an NB/NA and still be leagues ahead.

For every £/$10 spent on an NC improving it, you can spend £/$1 on an NB/NA and still be leagues ahead.

While I agree with this, I have driven an NC with the Cosworth SC, Flyin Miata suspension (springs, Tokico shocks, sways) and very wide, sticky tires and found it absolutely amazing. Even without that Supercharger, the suspension package makes a world of difference.

Sorry about the thread jack there homeforsummer. :sly:

NCs are remarkably capable... but the pre-facelift car had no soul. It was grippy, yes, but just not as chatty or predictable as the old car. The facelifted NC is much better... better steering, better handling, but it's a bit edgy... to be honest, I still feel more comfortable driving the older car.

I've got a few ideas in mind and none of them are as depressing as you'd expect.

Good to see you taking it with some humor intact. Though if you wind up driving a Daewoo, that's not a good sign.

Off topic

I've driven an NC, 1.8 l last month and I also drove a Mazda 2 diesel that same day. The Mazda 2 is a better drive than the NC. I was shocked that a MX-5 (latest model) drove that bad.

Homeforsummer:

Any news on the guy that stole your car?

Ahhhhh....sucker-fish 👎 Really hope you get that girl back in one solid piece......she's a beauty. Crooooooow was right, because it is so immaculate, the 🤬's that took it were probably influenced by this. Good luck, and keep us posted!

EDIT: Hell I'm real dumb tonight. I had already read that you got it back....but I posted this anyway.....*knocks head* HELLO.....ANYONE OR ANYTHING UP THERE?

Good to see you taking it with some humor intact. Though if you wind up driving a Daewoo, that's not a good sign.

No Daewoos on the list, you'll be glad to hear. What it will be is less conspicuous than the Mazda, and unlikely to get it's own thread on any forum. Don't yet know if it was nicked to order or just by joyriders (I'd be really surprised if it's the latter though as I live in a nice area) but I'm going to keep it low profile to minimise the risk.

Not contacted the Police back yet but I'll be doing that later.

I know if you're all anything like me there's a certain guilty pleasure that comes from seeing crashed cars (as long as nobody was hurt, of course) so here you go:

66038_738517543373_61206378_45058368_2356719_n.jpg

64975_738517553353_61206378_45058369_26969_n.jpg

72112_738517583293_61206378_45058371_2783457_n.jpg

68872_738517603253_61206378_45058372_7907077_n.jpg

Doesn't look beyond repair, but not pretty either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back