Struggling with wet weather racesF1 2010-2016 

• Thread starter xreyuk
  • 16 comments
Hey guys,

I've never really had any wet weather races to run before, and I have a couple of questions. It's not the driving that's difficult, just the decision making..

How do you know to go onto full wets/intermediates? Will your engineer say? Or do you have to make a judgement based on what you see?

If you do have to make a judgement, what are the markers to show the difference between heavy and light rain?

Cheers.

The weather report said heavy rain so I put on full wets. Engineer came on mid race and told me other teams were running well with intermediates.

I guess it's something you have to guess at from the weather report pre-race. The reports aren't 100% accurate which explains why it said heavy rain yet teams were getting away with intermediates and the rain falling didn't exactly seem torrential. I think it's a mixture between planning ahead and hoping for a little luck.

From what I've seen so far, you need wets if the rain is coming down really heavily & there is loads of standing water on the track.

Intermediates will work best if it's still wet on track but not raining, once a dry line starts to form then you can take a gamble on slicks.

Experiment a little & see what works best for your driving style ;)

Okay thanks for the info.

The only thing is changing conditions, if it starts dry but then starts to rain, I assume it's just best to stop for intermediates? Will my Engineer tell me if it's better to go full wet or intermediate? Or do I have to decide off my own back what tyres to go on?

I love the rain on this, and any races with rain :D

My advice would be NOT to pit early for inters, I tried to undercut some people because I thought the track was wet enough, and even though I was faster than half the field on slicks, I pitted, got the inters on and then for 3-4 laps I was 5 seconds slower, meaning my pit stop was for nothing and had to work my way back up the field. It's a difficult call to make, you just have to judge your times compared to the rest of the field.

From my experience in the wet races online, I always tend to go with full wets. On light rain, I find I have more grip with full wets and I am usually 3-4 seconds a lap faster than the ones that choose intermediates. It really depends how comfortable you are in the rain.

From my experience in the wet races online, I always tend to go with full wets. On light rain, I find I have more grip with full wets and I am usually 3-4 seconds a lap faster than the ones that choose intermediates. It really depends how comfortable you are in the rain.

I like the dynamic rain/track in the game. i am waiting so long for a game who using this kind of rain.

on the hongaroring on a wet track whit still 6 laps to drive i decided to stay on slicks. i had nothing to lose(20th place). as long the driving line is dry or less wet your doing fine on even slicks. but the race was to long to voor slick. i ran off and got a puncture on slicks when its wet. not i nice moment.

i have the feeling a early pitstop is't goog for this game. when te rain comes stay on slicks as long as possible. don't go for soon inters.

I have the speed of Legend IA, but i make to many mistakes, to get a good result. However in rain i drive better, i seem to be more concentrated on a wet track.

This is my first season, of a 7 season career. Hardest settings, no assists. I got to Catalunya Spain, and it starts raining during the race. When I pit, how do I get the crew to put rain tires on? They keep putting on slicks. I don't know how to switch to wets or intermediates, when I pit.
I'm on PS3, with a G25. ( and I just got the update about an hour ago, USA.)

This is my first season, of a 7 season career. Hardest settings, no assists. I got to Catalunya Spain, and it starts raining during the race. When I pit, how do I get the crew to put rain tires on? They keep putting on slicks. I don't know how to switch to wets or intermediates, when I pit.
The right d-pad,(if you have one)..just like how you change your wing in car.

speaking of wet races, the first season I had 2 races that were wet, australia Light rain, then spa with massive rain, that was so scary full wets I was tip toeing I still ran something 20sec a lap faster then the AI, and I was 60 seconds off dry pace LOL
Now I have this new season every race so far has been wet, except bahrain,OZ, Kula Lumpour, and now China, you can't even turn it off to have all dry races??? or can you?? I couldnt see it.

the trick with wet weather is to take off front wing, if u have heaps of front wing sure you will get good turn in, but u get the rear end is so unstable its unpredictable, so take 3 or 4 turns off ur front in the pit, then while driving you can fine tune it with the adjustment.

for strategy, the engineer says whats going on, whos faster with what. but what is weird is you can cross the finish line of australia then at sector 3 its bone dry and your burning up tyres, there is no slow transition to dry roads, its like a click of the fingers its bone dry.but you get 2 or 3 laps depending on ur style you drive, before you will burn them out

If the track looks smooth and reflective go for inters if there are alot of puddles go for wets.

So am I.

Go into wheel settings edit set up and you can choose buttons yourself.

For my G25 I press 'square on shifter's D Pad to signal I want to pit; then press 'x' on shifter D Pad for Tyres' then choose tire (either 'triangle; 'x' or the far left; or far right red buttons on shifter.

Others may have a better set up than me; I sometimes fumble for buttons while trying to stay fast on the circuit (where's my co-driver when I need him/her :)) and communicating with the pits.

speaking of wet races, the first season I had 2 races that were wet, australia Light rain, then spa with massive rain, that was so scary full wets I was tip toeing I still ran something 20sec a lap faster then the AI, and I was 60 seconds off dry pace LOL
Now I have this new season every race so far has been wet, except bahrain,OZ, Kula Lumpour, and now China, you can't even turn it off to have all dry races??? or can you?? I couldnt see it.

the trick with wet weather is to take off front wing, if u have heaps of front wing sure you will get good turn in, but u get the rear end is so unstable its unpredictable, so take 3 or 4 turns off ur front in the pit, then while driving you can fine tune it with the adjustment.

for strategy, the engineer says whats going on, whos faster with what. but what is weird is you can cross the finish line of australia then at sector 3 its bone dry and your burning up tyres, there is no slow transition to dry roads, its like a click of the fingers its bone dry.but you get 2 or 3 laps depending on ur style you drive, before you will burn them out

Didn't know you could do this...

I like the dynamic rain/track in the game. i am waiting so long for a game who using this kind of rain.

on the hongaroring on a wet track whit still 6 laps to drive i decided to stay on slicks. i had nothing to lose(20th place). as long the driving line is dry or less wet your doing fine on even slicks. but the race was to long to voor slick. i ran off and got a puncture on slicks when its wet. not i nice moment.

i have the feeling a early pitstop is't goog for this game. when te rain comes stay on slicks as long as possible. don't go for soon inters.

I have the speed of Legend IA, but i make to many mistakes, to get a good result. However in rain i drive better, i seem to be more concentrated on a wet track.

However in the gtp f12010 world championship I was 8th pitted for inters on the first hint of rain ran on them for the remaining 10 laps, and slowly gained places and even when they were red and the track was soaking I was wizzing past everyone else who tried to stay on slicks and finished 3rd.

The right d-pad,(if you have one)..just like how you change your wing in car.

Same thing happened to me at Silverstone yesterday. It started to rain heavy and I went into the pits, only to have more slicks fitted. I'm using an Xbox controller on the PC version, I hope it's the same controls. Thanks!

The best method is to decide for yourself. I know it doesn't sound very helpful, but IMO, the race engineer can be pretty useless in this situation.

Scenario 1 Started race on inters, was running comfortably in the lead and was far ahead of the car in second place. It got to the stage where I couldn't see any cars behind me, not even at the end of the longest straight or on the minimap.

I started thinking that perhaps the other cars had pitted for full wet tyres as they had dropped very far behind me. The race engineer then said "should fit wet tyres at next stop".

Not wanting to get caught out by a slow in lap in worsening conditions, I decided to take his word for it and pit for wet tyres. As soon as i left the pits "think Intermediates are the best bet". So i had a slow in lap and lost several positions.

Another time I was playing as vettel and had caught up to webber (who was in the lead) towards the end of the penultimate lap in the worsening conditions. He went into the pits. I stayed out on the inters but noticed the grip "falling off the cliff". Throughout the last lap, I noticed Webber in the distance, then getting closer and closer. I finished the lap (and the race) picking up the win with Webber + 0.00.

Was exciting to say the least. Either way, in my opinion, the best way is to make a decision for yourself and ignore the race engineer.

Back