Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 1,525 comments
The review embargo has lifted, and while I haven't published mine yet (because I wanted to get a couple more specific images but the preview is still offline, as it has been almost all day; that's day three of the preview build and it was off for four hours yesterday too for a bugfix), I will just say right now that on PS5 at least...

... Jesus.

The review embargo has lifted, and while I haven't published mine yet (because I wanted to get a couple more specific images but the preview is still offline, as it has been almost all day; that's day three of the preview build and it was off for four hours yesterday too for a bugfix), I will just say right now that on PS5 at least...

... Jesus.
oh boy

... Jesus.
Is that on a "typical before the day one bugfix patch" level, or on the "Concord has a new roommate in hell" level?

Is that on a "typical before the day one bugfix patch" level, or on the "Concord has a new roommate in hell" level?
The preview build includes the day one patch.

I'll share this video at this timestamp, which tallies 1:1 with my experience. Except my Nissan was yellow:

Just... look at it. If you can.

Last edited:

I'll share this video at this timestamp, which tallies 1:1 with my experience. Except my Nissan was yellow:

That's almost impressive tbh

There's no way somebody thought that was an acceptable state to give to reviewers
must be related to the Nacon Strike or something

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown Review: Hong Kong Phooey

It’s been a bit over 13 years since the last game in the Test Drive Unlimited series, TDU2, and while that had something of a mixed reception it did gain a niche following. As such, the third game in the series has been one much anticipated on GTPlanet...

Last edited:
So is anyone actually gonna make an arcade racer without this fomo grinding instead of making something worthwhile to play?
You mean like Sony did with driveclub? I bet you current Sony wishes they weren’t incredibly so, so short sighted when it came to evolution studios and driveclub. Best arcade racer on the PS4 by far. For that matter the PS5 as well sadly. IMO Still the best handling arcade racer of all time, and the best looking racer of all 8th generation console racing games.

Still the best handling arcade racer of all time
🤣
best looking racer of all 8th generation console racing games
The Crew Motorfest and Horizon 5 both available on 8 gen. Not sure about Motorfest on 8 gen, but Horizon 5 on OneX is easily best looking game of generation.
So is anyone actually gonna make an arcade racer without this fomo grinding instead of making something worthwhile to play?
Service model is just best for arcade racers, not sure why would anyone do something different.

Service model is just best for arcade racers, not sure why would anyone do something different.
Because live service is a fraud that can easily be shut down at any time if things go down the drain, and as well as being a major time sink to the point it feels like a second job which is something nobody wants.

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown Review: Hong Kong Phooey

It’s been a bit over 13 years since the last game in the Test Drive Unlimited series, TDU2, and while that had something of a mixed reception it did gain a niche following. As such, the third game in the series has been one much anticipated on GTPlanet...
This code that you were Previewing, was this Release state code? Or the same Code that was present in the recent Beta's? Reason I ask is the recent Beta's were significantly different to how the release code was promised to be. I'd hate for the game to be reviewed in It's Beta Code state as that by far quite older from what they showed recently on Socials.

1725474805368.png

That's about on par with most poorly optimized Unreal Engine games I've played in the past couple years... only those were made by small indie teams with limited experience and not much of a budget. Unless Nacon did to KT what they did to Frogwares with The Sinking City and released an unfinished build against their wishes, I can't put that down entirely to publisher meddling.

Horizon is live service game and you can play it even if servers are down.

You can play it as long as you want, nobody pushing you to play more then you want

And thats why they sell like cupcakes, sure
If you can play it offline, that's, by definition, not a service game.

This code that you were Previewing, was this Release state code? Or the same Code that was present in the recent Beta's? Reason I ask is the recent Beta's were significantly different to how the release code was promised to be. I'd hate for the game to be reviewed in It's Beta Code state as that by far quite older from what they showed recently on Socials.
As noted in my post at the top of this page, it's the release build with Day 1 patch.

Also just had a notification that my progress will be wiped today. The original review guide said progress would carry over, but it appears that there was a bug that allowed for very rapid progress so I guess they're wiping it to prevent some media/influencers starting with massive head starts.

That also took the game offline for 4hr yesterday, right in the middle of the day, as they fixed it...

Last edited:
Because live service is a fraud that can easily be shut down at any time if things go down the drain, and as well as being a major time sink to the point it feels like a second job which is something nobody wants.
Literally this. It always ends up feeling like a chore and after it's all said and done I just don't want to play anymore. Just felt like I had wasted a bunch of time. What happened to games that you could just play at your own pace?

If you can play it offline, that's, by definition, not a service game.
Not like there is some set in stone definition, but if game with 37 regular content drops and FOMO isn't service game, idk what is.

What happened to games that you could just play at your own pace?
What's wrong with playing service games at your own pace?

Last edited:
You mean like Sony did with driveclub? I bet you current Sony wishes they weren’t incredibly so, so short sighted when it came to evolution studios and driveclub. Best arcade racer on the PS4 by far. For that matter the PS5 as well sadly. IMO Still the best handling arcade racer of all time, and the best looking racer of all 8th generation console racing games.
Sadly most of the issue was it's disastrous launch. What could've been if things were different

Not like there is some set in stone definition, but if game with 37 regular content drops and FOMO isn't service game, idk what is.

What's wrong with playing service games at your own pace?
Really depends on how much mindless grinding they want you to do

how much mindless grinding they want you to do
When games double down on FOMO with time-gated content then playing at your own pace goes out the window.
Once again
What's wrong with playing service games at your own pace
Like, FOMO content, is usually more like 1% of game content. There are 0 reasons to grind unless you want to. Simple as that.

🤣

The Crew Motorfest and Horizon 5 both available on 8 gen. Not sure about Motorfest on 8 gen, but Horizon 5 on OneX is easily best looking game of generation.

IMO driveclub looks the most realistic out of any other racer on 8th gen consoles. The other two games you listed look more artificial on those consoles in comparison. That’s just me though.

Also in context I said “IMO” drive club is the best feeling arcade racer of all time. Sure it’s definitely arguable, Give me your best of all time so I can laugh at you.

Last edited:
They're locking exclusive cars at the end of the pass.
Still 1 car out of 100 + most likely, they would drop it later again. Some systems are worse, some better, but whole drama is exaggerated. Just play however you want.
Why is it even fomo in the first place
To sell battlepass and tier skips.
everything you paid for
If you paid for premium battlepass and tier skips, then you get everything without grind. If you didn't, then I don't get what you complain about
IMO driveclub looks the most realistic out of any other racer on 8th gen consoles.
yVhaB4M.jpeg

Ok

Last edited:
Back