Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 1,514 comments
This is probably the biggest "potential-reality" difference since the Star Wars sequels. My whole Twitter feed is full of people not even being mad about the game and current connection issues, instead everyone is mostly just laughing at it. How did they manage to make it that bad?

"grinding" is act of repeating some actions to achieve some results. Typically referred to gaining some type of in-game resources in RPGs, but wide definition could be referred to any repetitive activities(time trials, for example).
But you're claiming that F1 games and GT3 (ACC I assume) games are played by grinding which is to misunderstand the entire concept of grinding in the context of racing games. F1 games aren't a grind fest, they're a simulation of Formula 1, likewise GT3 games. Grinding in the context of TDU or GT7 is a nessecity to progress in the game due to poor in game economics.

Long and short, not the same thing and a pretty rubbish comparison.

I managed to get to Level 10 with a few disconnects. I eventually gave up on it, hoping it would be better later. I just tried starting the game again without success. The Beta was a lot more stable.

which is to misunderstand the entire concept of grinding in the context of racing games
Concept is same for all games - repeating action to gain results.
F1 games aren't a grind fest, they're a simulation of Formula 1, likewise GT3 games.
Almost any professional sport is 99% grinding, so yes its ultimate grind simulators.
Grinding in the context of TDU or GT7 is a nessecity to progress in the game due to poor in game economics.
What is grinding?
If done to achieve an arbitrary goal set by the game - whether as the most effective or only way to achieve the goal - it's grinding. If it's done because you want to, or to achieve an arbitrary goal set by yourself, then it is not.
Gaming is voluntary thing. Every activity in game is made by you because you want it. Its not an argument.
Racing the same race dozens or hundreds of times because you want to isn't grinding
And it's absolutely possible to enjoy grinding and for grinding to be a choice - after all, wanting that car is a goal set by yourself; that doesn't negate the idea that the process is still grinding.
🤣 Its not grinding if you want to grind, but its still grind if you enjoy it? Wat?
then masturbation is grinding
yes

Its not an argument.
Correct. It's a statement.
Its not grinding if you want to grind, but its still grind if you enjoy it? Wat?
No, don't reinterpret what I said to suit yourself. The actual explanation for what you're "confused" about is right in the words I actually typed.

This is wilful ignorance now. You are trying misunderstand and deliberately rewording things to keep hold of that.

The actual explanation for what you're "confused" about is right in the words I actually typed.
You typed nonsense, that's problem. Same action could be performed by two players with different motivation and, by you definition of grinding, be totally different things. I see problem here.

This has been explained several times by several different people now
Wiki definition is fine for my taste

Last edited:
You typed nonsense, that's problem.
No. You reworded it in order to pretend that.
Same action could be performed by two players with different motivation and, by you definition of grinding, be totally different things.
No, you're pretending that this is "my" definition.
I see problem here.
Because you want to. Go back and read it properly and stop rewording things to suit yourself.

This is getting to be such a habit for you now.

Because you want to. Go back and read it properly and stop rewording things to suit yourself.
If done to achieve an arbitrary goal set by the game - whether as the most effective or only way to achieve the goal - it's grinding. If it's done because you want to, or to achieve an arbitrary goal set by yourself, then it is not.
It yours? Because I see you name under the post. You suggesting that if goal of repeating is set by gamedevs its grind, if goal set by player its not grinding. That means that there could be two players and one action - for one its grinding, for other its not. Then its not definition, its nonsense. Then you added few contradictory statements about enjoyment and what someone want to do, to multiply level of nonsense in post.

It yours? Because I see you name under the post. You suggesting that if goal of repeating is set by gamedevs its grind, if goal set by player its not grinding. That means that there could be two players and one action - for one its grinding, for other its not. Then its not definition, its nonsense. Then you added few contradictory statements about enjoyment and what someone want to do, to multiply level of nonsense in post.
No, there's no contradiction or nonsense. You (the person who doesn't primarily speak English) are reading it incorrectly, reinterpreting it, and then claiming I've said something other than I actually said.

I'm not tolerating this garbage any more. You are being purposefully ignorant and lying about me, and it stops now.

Back on topic, because the game isn't even particularly grindy and FRIM is a thing that exists (except in races, where it would apparently be distracting; I didn't even notice it wasn't there because of the glowing cars), one thing I noticed but forgot to draw particular attention to in the review regards the auto gears.

They're... broken, but seemingly only on tuned cars. I'd have liked to test more to find out the cause, but obviously the game's barely been available since Monday evening. However, I had two cars with every available second part in every category and both would shift up from third to fourth for a second or so, then down to third again, then back up to fourth.

Last edited:
image-5.jpg

The lighting is so outdated, looks like a mobile game.
For comparison, here's Anarchy: Rush Hour, a Russian PS3 game from 2010 that I fondly remember laughing at. These graphics were also outdated at the time, not that I cared because it was a fun and ridiculous game that aped Midnight Club, except the strongest boost upgrades could propel your car to 1,000 km/h.
f280b45e20d0e372fe305e69bbe2fe74.jpg

image-5.jpg

The lighting is so outdated, looks like a mobile game.
Which platform is this on?
Is this another attempt at making the game look bad on very specific conditions when it doesn't represent the full game?

Like when back then some people used this picture of Driveclub to say it doesn't have good graphics.
Driveclub-Game.jpg

You mean like Sony did with driveclub? I bet you current Sony wishes they weren’t incredibly so, so short sighted when it came to evolution studios and driveclub. Best arcade racer on the PS4 by far. For that matter the PS5 as well sadly. IMO Still the best handling arcade racer of all time, and the best looking racer of all 8th generation console racing games.
This. I've probably played around 50 racing games in my life & i never enjoyed one as much as i did with Driveclub & nothing has beaten that enjoyment since. Dissolving Evo Studios & abandoning any hope of a sequel that improved on Driveclub's few shortcomings is one of the biggest crime's in gaming.

Which platform is this on?
Is this another attempt at making the game look bad on very specific conditions when it doesn't represent the full game?
As you can see from my name on it, it's from my review article.

That's Performance Mode (1080p60) on the PlayStation 5, taken during gameplay - and there's a static shot alongside it from elsewhere on the map which is also a direct screengrab.

They represent both exactly what I saw and my broader experience with no adjustments to the settings in any "attempt at making the game look bad".

I've got some replays I can upload later (though the review conditions don't allow pure gameplay so I might have to record some VO) if you like.

If you have specific suggestions you'd like I can try to capture them too, but the game has been mostly offline since Tuesday lunchtime and all preview progress was reset...

Almost any professional sport is 99% grinding, so yes its ultimate grind simulators.
No. In fact, a sports game is a very easy way to highlight what grinding is.

Playing a season of a sport that involves different venues, opponents, & other variables? Not grinding.
Replaying a specific match/venue/opponent over and over b/c its reward is the most "profitable" towards whatever goal you're after? Grinding.

To make it easier:
Playing through GT4? Not grinding.
Replaying Capri Rally to get the Toyota RSC Rally Raid Car so you can sell it? Grinding.

Playing through GT3? Not grinding.
Replaying Super Speedway 150 Miles trying to get the F090/S (as I believe that was the easiest way to get it)? Grinding.

It doesn't really need help with regards to looking bad, but either they basically had to shut off the lighting engine to get the (terribly optimized) game to get Performance Mode to work well on PS5 or shaders are broken in Performance mode for certain times of day. It showed up in Eurogamer's video as well.

Still can't get passed the server queue. It's actually quite embarrassing for KT and Nacon. Let's hope it's "all systems go" on worldwide release day next week 🤣

Yeah, that server queue for these games are frustrating. I wish it was more single player than having everything connected to the online portion.

It is completely unacceptable to release an always online game with servers that don’t work
If you do not have the infrastructure to support that kind of game’s launch, DON’T MAKE AN ALWAYS ONLINE GAME
IT SHOULD BE ****ING OBVIOUS
The only reason I haven’t refunded this yet is because I am actually interested in the game

Last edited:

Well. It's confirmed now.

I was looking for this, and lmao is all I can say.

It ran dreadfully enough as-is in the demo but you're now telling me that the officially recommended specifications at 1080p on the medium settings preset is an RTX 2080/RX 6650 paired with either an 11700K (what!?) or an R7 3700X (these aren't even in the same generational performance bracket but given the console hardware at least this is understandable), all paired with FSR 2 or DLSS set to Balanced?

So the recommendation for 1080p at medium settings is actually sub-720p (1125x635 or something like that)?

:lol:

It's a good thing I didn't review this...

This is bad..... i had got up to 850 in the queue but the it BUMPED me back down into 2345 or somwhere then got the server error
giving it 1 more try wags finger at ps5

Attachments

• Test Drive Unlimited - Solar Crown_20240905185711.jpg
    Test Drive Unlimited - Solar Crown_20240905185711.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 4
Yeah, I don't get the whole 2235/256 thing. Does that mean it only supports 256 players at any one time? What on God's green Earth were these developers thinking when they were "developing" this game?? Didn't anyone do a comprehensive quality and assurance test before launching it??

Now, I just get a login error. Can't even get into the server queue 😂

Last edited:
Back