TH8 RS Shifter Thread!

• Thread starter sandboxgod
  • 1,971 comments
Hmmm

I'm in two minds if I prefer this redesign over the original. I see what you are trying to do and while it will improve the feel of the sequential shifter it'll kill the looks.

I'd be happy with a machined finish look the same as your first sequential plate design and use the same spring design as found in the original TM seq plate but have it slightly stronger. If that isn't possible then have folks simply take out the spring in their sequential plate and pop it into yours.

Have you looked at RC car shocks to see if you can find any that fit more compactly within the plate?

BTW it's fantastic that you are looking into this, I've been thinking about this mod for sometime but just don't have the DIY skills to try it.

ser903334.jpg

http://ashfordhobby.com/detail.aspx?ID=7456
Well i've tried pretty much everything before coming with the idea of putting the mecanism on top. RC car shocks was one of those but the price killed the idea and still not anough room underneath.

Of course making a sequential plate as the original might look good, but you'll still have the same feel and no adjustments what so ever. I gattered info from different sim racers interested in the project and nobody had the same idea of what they wanted. So it has to be adjustable.

IMO, it looks killer like it is but that's just my 2 cents' worth. :)

I definitely think it looks cool. I don't mind mechanical bits showing, as long as it's neat and tidy. Really it's no different than Frex's shifters with their showing mechanical parts. I think of these designs kind of like naked street bikes.

Well i've tried pretty much everything before coming with the idea of putting the mecanism on top. RC car shocks was one of those but the price killed the idea and still not anough room underneath.

Of course making a sequential plate as the original might look good, but you'll still have the same feel and no adjustments what so ever. I gattered info from different sim racers interested in the project and nobody had the same idea of what they wanted. So it has to be adjustable.

For the sequential, personally I don't care about tension or adjustment, stock feel is fine.
What I would like though, is some kind of tactile or noise feedback to confirm I have hit end.

Any chance that can be done without the topside appendage?

Not being critical, you do great work! 👍 👍

Last edited:
No it can't come out. You need the mecanism for it to work properly.

I don't do polished finish like the original plate. I sell my plates with either machined finish or flat black. Sorry.

Ah no worries, that is what I meant, machined. Sorry. I still eagerly await to place my order. I do like what you're doing with the shifter but I only require the plates. :)

Hope this doesn't kill it for you.

Yeah you aren't going to please everyone.

If your product is sturdy and well made (looking at your other products I'm sure it will be) then it will definitely be a purchase from me. I was just being picky I suppose in wanting one that improves the looks of the original TM plate, has a stronger tension and is compact but I realize that's probably an impossible challenge.

I think you could actually make two sequential products to please the masses.

1) An exact copy of the current Thrustmaster sequential plate but made of machined metal and where folks just swap out the spring
2) Your custom designed adjustable sequential plate on steroids

When do you think you'll have your new design completed and ready to sell?

Hey Mr Basher I'm waiting until 18th of April for your short shifter shaft, I've paid the invoice, sent email, sent pm without response, please answer to my messages :banghead::guilty:
Pietro Mauro, Rome Italy

Hey Mr Basher I'm waiting until 18th of April for your short shifter shaft, I've paid the invoice, sent email, sent pm without response, please answer to my messages :banghead::guilty:
Pietro Mauro, Rome Italy

Don't worry you will get them, you shouldn't send a message like this on the forum. Give the man a chance to respond privately. He does have a regular job and these are one off items. I waited a while for mine as well but they are well worth the wait. Remember, these is a cottage industry.

Yeah you aren't going to please everyone.

If your product is sturdy and well made (looking at your other products I'm sure it will be) then it will definitely be a purchase from me. I was just being picky I suppose in wanting one that improves the looks of the original TM plate, has a stronger tension and is compact but I realize that's probably an impossible challenge.

I think you could actually make two sequential products to please the masses.

1) An exact copy of the current Thrustmaster sequential plate but made of machined metal and where folks just swap out the spring
2) Your custom designed adjustable sequential plate on steroids

When do you think you'll have your new design completed and ready to sell?
Well making 2 plates might be the best solution after all. As you said, I can't please everyone.

I thought it would have been a walk-in-the-park making this sequential plate.... instead I got deep in the jungle. ;)

I've satarted the new plate last week and already made a few parts. Still have plenty of work to do and still got things to figure out but it's coming along nicely. I would have liked to have it done this week but got my hands full right now so....

I'll keep you guys updates.

BTW, I'm pleased to have all these comments, it helps me putting it all together.

Cheers!

Right on man. You can build a nice little business with this as our hobby is definitely growing by leaps and bounds where it was even just a couple of years ago. I'm always looking to improve my rig and in the last three years have gone from a chair and desk, to a couple of different rigs, to custom rigs, to tricked out rigs with Dbox motion and then almost every shifter, wheel, and pedals you can think of. All in the name of finding that right combo to give you the most realistic feeling of driving.

I'm so impressed by you and guys like Basher and Yipzone who all make these wonderful mods and then share it with the community. If it were just up to large companies we'd be missing out.

Any updates Patrick? I'm itching to see photos and to get my order in.
Nothing much mcunckle. I reworked the previous version of the seq plate in a way that you can drop in the current spring as you suggested. But still have to many things going on at the moment. Wish I had more time.... :S

For me all I want is those sweet polished plates. :) I'll pay you extra is you can just get me a one off right now. LOL 4 speed, 5 speed, sequential. Take my money!

For me all I want is those sweet polished plates. :) I'll pay you extra is you can just get me a one off right now. LOL 4 speed, 5 speed, sequential. Take my money!
All right all right all right. Can't say no to that! :) I'm planning on making a new batch of plates next week or the other. You want short gate or standard for your 4 and 5 ? PM me your address and I'll give you final price including shipping. 👍👍👍

Hi all. Anyone know what gear knobs that can fit the TH8, maybe something from Halfords or Amazon? Cheers :-)

It uses an oddball size M9 x1.25 thread, so most off-the-shelf knobs won't work.
If you have time, trawl backwards through this thread, there are various solutions posted.

So there are basically three choices;
1) Custom knob to fit stock TH8 RS shaft.
2) Custom shaft to fit off-the-shelf shift knob.
3) Force-fit an off-the-shelf shift knob onto the M9 threaded shaft with a thread adapter.
(Extras of varying sizes are included sometimes with retail shift knobs).

See my signature (rig link) for more info on an alternative custom knob.
You can also email basherboards.com/PM @mrbasher to inquire about custom shaft.

Last edited:
It uses an oddball size M9 x1.25 thread, so most off-the-shelf knobs won't work.
If you have time, trawl backwards through this thread, there are various solutions posted.

So there are basically three choices;
1) Custom knob to fit stock TH8 RS shaft.
2) Custom shaft to fit off-the-shelf shift knob.
3) Force-fit an off-the-shelf shift knob onto the M9 threaded shaft with a thread adapter.
(Extras of varying sizes are included sometimes with retail shift knobs).

See my signature (rig link) for more info on an alternative custom knob.
You can also email basherboards.com/PM @mrbasher to inquire about custom shaft.

Thanks for that, Jogo, but I'm not to confident in myself for fitting an adapetr for the gear knob. You see, my silver bit on my TH8 gear knob has, literally, come off. The glue didn't stick, and so I'm only left to play with the blaack and red bit. Kind of annoyed, but oh well. I've seen some nice gear knobs on YT, but I don't know how to fit them, or do any of this, because I maay break it!! Thanks anyway :-)

Hi guys, Like a few of you already knows, I finished my seq plate. :cheers: It's more simple than my monster gear canon lol and you still have adjustable throw and a bit more tension due to the stops which are spring plungers. You need to drop in the original spring to get the right tension but all you have to do is unscrew the buttom section (allen key included 👍) put your spring in and your're ready to go.:)

Mayaman any comments on yours?

Cheers!

photo-1.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-2.jpg

Sorry guys, been really busy. All I can say is BUY THESE! They are beautiful, well made, and the feeling is great. Well done Patrick. I really hope you will do custom work for me in the future. I'm building a new rig right now that I might need custom bits made. I trust your craftsmanship. The little adjustment on the sequential plate is brilliant.

Buy these people, support our garage manufacturers.

Sorry guys, been really busy. All I can say is BUY THESE! They are beautiful, well made, and the feeling is great. Well done Patrick. I really hope you will do custom work for me in the future. I'm building a new rig right now that I might need custom bits made. I trust your craftsmanship. The little adjustment on the sequential plate is brilliant.

Buy these people, support our garage manufacturers.
Awsome man! It's always a bit of stress when sending a new model for the first time. I'm glad you like it.

PM me for those custom parts and i'll see what I can do.

:cheers:

Wow Patrick that looks better than I had imagined and I like the extra little features you added. I can't wait to try mine out, it's so much better than the cr@ppy plastic sequential gate that comes with it.

This will save me bothering to upgrade my shifter to something else

Back