The amazing and cool photo thread

• Thread starter UnoMOTO
  • 8,605 comments
A mud volcano that looks like an eye:

VOLCANOJO.jpg

This was taken by a local storm chaser last night. Nice storm cell that developed southwest of Phoenix. I was actually watching it from my balcony around 1am, though I was probably 50-60 miles from it. The lightning show was awesome and I could see the lowering in the clouds when the lighting flashed, had me worried for a bit.

11999556_10153217861743230_4135488010276638687_o.jpg

@TB that's way too complicated. I don't know how they get the job done while dealing with the stress of combat and putting up with all those twiddly bits.

It's all in the training. One time, I had a class on running an automotive diagnosis machine. The first day that we saw it, the instructor said specifically, "I am going to explain this to you. Right now, it looks big and confusing, but by the time we are done, you will know what you are looking at."

And he was right. We learned it, and it was simple.

Same with ANY plane. You learn the system, you know what to look at when and for what, and it's really very simple.

Sixteenth Century Church Re-Emerges From The Water After Drought

Beautiful photos of the Mexican Temple of Santiago have been circulating online, showing the church reappear from the water like a lost ruin of Atlantis.

The Grijalva river in Chiapas, Mexico has been suffering from a drought over the past year which has caused the water level in Nezahualcoyotl reservoir to decrease by 25 meters (82 feet). The "silver lining" of this drought has been another chance to see this snapshot of history which was thought to be lost to a watery grave.

The church is said to have been built by a group of monks led by Friar Bartolome de la Casas, who arrived in the area with Spanish settlers around the mid-16th century. The church was abandoned between 1773 to 1776 due to massive plagues sweeping the area, according to architect Carlos Navarete, who worked on a report about the structure. Epidemics were common in the Americas from the late 15th century, when explorers, settlers and traders introduced bacteria and viruses to the New World.

When the nearby dam was completed in 1966, the church was flooded and left unseen for almost 40 years. However, an even more severe drought caused the church to pop out of the water in 2002. The water levels were so low that people were even able to walk around the church. Speaking to Associated Press, local fisherman Leonel Mendoza said, "The people celebrated. They came to eat, to hang out, to do business. I sold them fried fish. They did processions around the church."

Over the past few days, fishermen have been giving people trips out on their boats to let them explore the ruins themselves while they are exposed.

iglesiachiapas4.jpg

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/sixteenth-century-church-reemerges-mexican-reservoir

@TB that's way too complicated. I don't know how they get the job done while dealing with the stress of combat and putting up with all those twiddly bits.
I suspect that the SR-71's cockpit is more complicated than most, given the engineering that went into it. The fuel system, for one. Or the engine intakes. Or the life support systems. And then there's the recon equipment (keep in mind that the SR-71 was not a combat aircraft since it's whole purpose was to fly as fast and high as possible to avoid being shot down, while taking photos).

I suspect that the SR-71's cockpit is more complicated than most, given the engineering that went into it. The fuel system, for one. Or the engine intakes. Or the life support systems. And then there's the recon equipment (keep in mind that the SR-71 was not a combat aircraft since it's whole purpose was to fly as fast and high as possible to avoid being shot down, while taking photos).

Thanks for the info.

I have to give huge respect to service men and women who work with such horrid conditions but yet seem to complete the job anyway.

Thanks for the info.

I have to give huge respect to service men and women who work with such horrid conditions but yet seem to complete the job anyway.

I do agree. However, like I said before, training makes it easy. And, honestly, that's a pretty sparse cockpit in comparison to some modern airliners that have had photos of their cockpits put up in this thread. ;)

Back