The amazing and cool photo thread

• Thread starter UnoMOTO
  • 8,599 comments
Bump
MJXT4834.JPG

I'd push a downhill mountain bike up. Then fly back down... ;)

And how many just roll? ;)

a woman fell from a cliff in the Women's 2016 race, with serious injuries (WARNING: Graphic image)

A man disappeared (no joke) during the race in 2012 .

Michael was last seen about 200 feet below Turnaround Point of Mount Marathon on July 4, 2012. Despite exhaustive searches, his body has never been found. He was officially declared dead in August 2012 after a presumptive death hearing.

Amazing is an appropriate word for this image... part of the aftermath of an earthquake and tsunami in Palu, Indonesia, this photo was published with the legend "A damaged mosque near Palu". It is not so much "damaged" as 'now in the 🤬 sea!'.

Video footage from the area shows that many buildings were not merely swept away/destroyed by the tsunami, but were infact lifted wholesale (and intact) by the liquefaction of the earth during the earthquake, before being picked up and swept out to sea by the subsequent tsunami... :ill:

6720.jpg

Thanks for the clarification - it only goes to demonstrate the importance of the pier review process.

Shore does.

I'm confused. Can you expand on that for me?

Everyone who has ever lived is on Earth excluding those in the lander there but who are also inside that frame of view (even if those on Earth aren’t visible). The only person in existence not included is the person taking the photo.

Unless the Russians actually lost a few dudes into deep space and never told anyone.

He should have selfied.

Unless the Russians actually lost a few dudes into deep space and never told anyone.

Three Soviet cosmonauts did die in space; Georgy Dobrovolsky, Vladislav Volkov, and Viktor Patsayev were members of the Soyuz 11 mission of 1971. There was an accidental depressurisation during the preperation for re-entry and the three quickly died of asphyxiation. However the module continued its descent into earth and the three were found dead when the module was opened.

The only other rumour of Soviet space missions gone wrong that I know of was that of Vladimir Ilyushin, son of aeroplane designer Sergey Ilyushin. Vladimir Ilyushin was a test pilot and rumoured to have been the real first man in space, about a week before Yuri Gagarin's orbital spaceflight. Something apparently went wrong and Ilyushin was severely injured during the flight and thus the Soviet government did not publish details of it; he was said to have been in a car crash to cover up his injuries.

Ilyushin is also in the rugby union Hall Of Fame, just to add a titbit to the end of this. He was one of the USSR's chief administrators for many years and got their national team started in 1974.

Back