The Cadillac thread

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 382 comments
What is up with Cadillac's new naming strategy? Why the fixation on -iq? Would have made much more sense to call the Optiq and Vistiq the XT4 and XT6 electric version or something like that.
Maybe buying one boosts the owner’s i-q?

There are a couple impressive design and manufacturing quirks in this car that prospective buyers will appreciate. I hope Cadillac knows how to market to these people. And I hope I get to see one pull up next to my jet one day.

Last edited:
That big Charger in the other thread may be onto something selling girth to the masses.
They like the girth. But large size is expected for premium products and while it's not unprecedented in the US due to full-size SUVs, it's not particularly common. Escalades and Navigators aren't The new Charger is going to make bigass cars a completely normal thing. It may be shorter than a Crown Vic but it's considerably wider and taller and that combination feels intimidating.

Last edited:
They like the girth.
Interested Kevin Nash GIF

They like the girth. But large size is expected for premium products and while it's not unprecedented in the US due to full-size SUVs, it's not particularly common. Escalades and Navigators aren't The new Charger is going to make bigass cars a completely normal thing. It may be shorter than a Crown Vic but it's considerably wider and taller and that combination feels intimidating.
I think the first car I really noticed the size of a car was the Taurus. When it got the 300C treatment of being a big rectangle.
I know the Subaru Legacy/Outbacks were carrying the torch of AMC high riding sedans and wagons, but the Taurus was a bull amongst family sedans.

With the Charger I can understand packaging the batteries may have added to that tallness. Be interesting to see that silhouette comparison of the Charger with the 300C/Charger and how those compare to the Cadillac Celerystiq.

I think the first car I really noticed the size of a car was the Taurus. When it got the 300C treatment of being a big rectangle.
I know the Subaru Legacy/Outbacks were carrying the torch of AMC high riding sedans and wagons, but the Taurus was a bull amongst family sedans.
I never though the Subarus stood out much but I agree on the Taurus. I actually think it started a generation before that with the Ford Five Hundred which was renamed the Taurus, though other markets didn't get that car. Ford's concepts at the time were glorious and I remember them vividly because I was attending the Detroit show often at the time. The Ford 427 concept previewed the design language at the time but just as the other American brands did, they failed to actually honor their own concepts. The Celestiq is one of very few exxtreme American concepts that has come to fruition in the last 30+ years that I can remember. Speaking of which...
Celerystiq.
😂

One of GM's favorite pasttimes is designing amazing Cadillac concept cars and never putting them into production. It's largely why Cadillac is kind of a miserable company that hasn't never broken through the mold of Euro brands.

One of GM's favorite pasttimes is designing amazing Cadillac concept cars and never putting them into production. It's largely why Cadillac is kind of a miserable company that hasn't never broken through the mold of Euro brands.

This wouldn’t had worked anyway because of all the downsides to the Camaro it’s based on. Imagine a cadillac coupe that lacks interior space and has really bad blind spots.

This wouldn’t had worked anyway because of all the downsides to the Camaro it’s based on. Imagine a cadillac coupe that lacks interior space and has really bad blind spots.
Do you think the Mercedes AMG GT doesn't have those problems? This Cadillac coupe would've cost about $100,000 minimum, those are trivial issues in the high luxury market. What the Camaro chassis did have is excellent dynamics and drivetrain characteristics, as well as great coupe proportions and style.

I know this might be a shock to someone who only pays attention to a manufacturer whose cars are all so clearly old that they make Nissan do a double take, but "the Camaro it's based on" is in fact a wildly versatile platform that has underpinned nearly every RWD car GM has made in the past ten years and absolutely none of them had the problems that the Camaro did.

In fact, this design study (which sure looks an awful lot like a CT5 in the front and rear) may have even been intended to be CT5-sized. :eek:

Last edited:
In fact, this design study (which sure looks an awful lot like a CT5 in the front and rear) may have even been intended to be CT5-sized. :eek:
The Camaro only a few inches shorter than the CT5, yeah. But that length would sort of be expected for an executive 2+2 of this level.

In case anybody missed it and for those who don't follow motorsports that closely, Cadillac uploaded a feature length film about their 2023 Le Mans effort, just prior to the 2024 race. I think it's pretty cool even if it's pure marketing. The pit stop segment at 1:15:10 is pretty damn cool, great mix of cinematography, editing, and BGM. In fact I wouldn't mind at all if Cadillac moved to a kind of dark, after-midnight gritty EDM/Techno (Detroit roots boy!) energy for future marketing.

Last edited:
The cars performed very well overall, nearly taking pole in quali, but something about Ferrari's race pace and strategy is just unbeatable currently.

The cars performed very well overall, nearly taking pole in quali, but something about Ferrari's race pace and strategy is just unbeatable currently.
I'm not sure about unbeatable. There were nine cars on the lead lap after 24 hours, including a Cadillac (Toyota was a mere 14 seconds back). Ferrari came out on top and were clearly dominant, but Toyota, Porsche and Cadillac were all in contention, with Cadillac actually leading the race for a bit.

Last edited:
Well they’ve got the balls to try and sell the Celestiq for $300,000 which it is absolutely not worth in any way so I don’t see why they can’t throw this at the wall too.

Well they’ve got the balls to try and sell the Celestiq for $300,000 which it is absolutely not worth in any way so I don’t see why they can’t throw this at the wall too.
Of all the concepts over the past 25 years (and adding the Elmiraj & the Escala which I forgot about even though they are both awesome and looking back clearly influenced the ATS Coupe and CT5 designs respectively) the decision to actually build the Celestiq is the most bewildering. Who asked for a $300,000 Cadillac hatchback? Literally any of the other ones I mentioned were cooler, with my personal favorites being the Ciel & Elmiraj. That said, the Solei is not far off and I am completely unconcerned about it's drivetrain since it's a car made for wafting.

Of all the concepts over the past 25 years (and adding the Elmiraj & the Escala which I forgot about even though they are both awesome and looking back clearly influenced the ATS Coupe and CT5 designs respectively) the decision to actually build the Celestiq is the most bewildering. Who asked for a $300,000 Cadillac hatchback? Literally any of the other ones I mentioned were cooler, with my personal favorites being the Ciel & Elmiraj. That said, the Solei is not far off and I am completely unconcerned about it's drivetrain since it's a car made for wafting.

In my opinion the Elmiraj was almost necessary as a halo car and would’ve been a real competitor in the segment with real American chops I wonder if they didn’t want to step on the Corvette’s toes but I believe those are two very different cars.

Back