The General Airplane Thread

• Thread starter Crash
  • 2,744 comments
Coast Guard aviation 100 years? I had no idea!

I did get to see a bit of the Navy's celebration back in 2011, when a replica of the Curtis Pusher, used by Eugene Ely for the first shipboard landing and takeoff, flew in the Blue Angels homecoming air show. This was not the actual "first naval aircraft," but it was the one that demonstrated that an airplane could land and take off from a flat deck on a ship. (The first naval aircraft, requisitioned in May 1911, was the A-1 Triad, a reproduction of which hangs in the lobby of the Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola NAS.)

DSC_3789.jpg

They also had the Tailhook Legacy flight up, and had them timed to pass by in the distance behind the crowd at the same time the Curtiss was back there in its circle. Curtiss model D, SB2C Helldiver, F4U Corsair, and F/A-18E Superhornet in the same air!

DSC_3794.jpg

In doing some reading just now, I've found that the Coast Guard's first aircraft was a Curtiss flying boat, designed for anti-submarine operations, borrowed for patrol work. Another Curtiss flying boat, which is in the museum in Pensacola, is the one which completed a transatlantic crossing in 1919, and was piloted by a Coastie!

24394896966_fd5b9ac418_o.jpg

It could be said that the Coast Guard goes all the way back to 1903, as it was men from a lifeboat station that provided "muscle" for the Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk, hand-lugging the airplane down to the beach, helping the launch push, and one of those guys took The Picture, using a camera belonging to one of the brothers.

131216171939-01-wright-brothers-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Speaking of Naval Aviation Museum....

On that trip in September for the Blue Angels practice, we spent the afternoon at the museum. While walking from the practice show line to the museum, we pass through their outdoor storage/display area. You can't actually walk around the aircraft, but they do bus tours all day.

Anyway, I saw this pile of stuff alongside the edge of the tarmac. Obviously a dive bomber, with those holes in the flaps. but FLOATS????

21512128031_3635d29da5_b.jpg

What I think this is, is the Curtiss XSB2C-2, a Helldiver intended to be able to operate from water. It's as if the folks at Curtiss asked themselves what they could do to make a plane nobody liked, even worse! The Navy supposedly had plans for 2 or 3 hundred of them, but after seeing and flying the prototype, they did a Roseanne Rosannadanna: "NEVER MIND!!!!"

Only one was built, and I think this is it! This is going to be really something if they can get it restored!!

EDIT: Forgot to include the picture of the original prototype:
Curtiss_XSB2C-2_floatplane_prototype_in_1942.jpg

Last edited:
That SAS is at one of the other more famous airports... can't remember what it is...

Skiathos :D Pretty cool spot. Didn't knew about its existence before seeing that photo. Checked if it was affordable with the company I like to fly with but 1700euros seemed like a bit too much. To Sint Maarten or New York with KLM is around €1000 and Las Vegas with Delta for around €1200, I found it a bit expensive :P Though with Lufthansa I can get there for €540 with a stop in Munich and Athens. Would have to do the last part with a prop operated by Olympic..

Not sure if this question belongs in the Star Wars discussion thread or here (I figure you guys have more knowledge about fighter jets than most do in the other thread), but I'll give it a shot anyway:

Which modern fighter jets could be compared to the X-Wings from the Star Wars series? Since their wings move to different positions depending on the situation (Folded flat for high-speed travel, wide for attack runs at slower speeds), I was thinking they could resemble the F-111 Aardvark, but upon learning those are more suited to bombing roles, I decided they are more related to the F-14 Tomcat which is an interceptor and air superiority fighter.

There are more cool planes that can change their wing position but I wouldn't know what plane you can compare to the X-Wing. B-2, Panavia Tornado are still in use atm.

I'm bored, let's search unusual planes/photos :P

1234479.jpg

That looks like a DC-4, a 747, and a Sikorsky S-58 went to a "party" together, then a few months later.......

EDIT: Found what it is. ATL-98 Carvair, a DC-4 modified as a car ferry, up to 20 passengers and five cars.

Last edited:
Back