The GTS Force Feedback Problems Thread

• Thread starter VBR
  • 43 comments
VBR
Under the right conditions, the aforementioned bugs present themselves right away. Therefore, how many miles I've driven in the game is irrelevant.
I say this because in my first 5000km I was feeling to much lack in ffb I didn't feel everything in the car..
But now 40000km later I feel OK with the ffb.. I didn't feel any crazy issues..
Also this (auto correct) thing in the wheel in the oversteer is different to every car..
Also you feel it more in the cars with higher caster.
In the gt5-6 I feel this feature more unrealistic..

VBR
If you have a G25 that you can use on the PS4, then please perform the following test & tell me what you find.

G25, with FFB settings 7/4/10 (torque set higher than 4 may start to mask the bug I'm describing). Evo 96 untuned on CS tyres at Brands Hatch GP, 10 am in the morning. Throw the car around to induce oversteer, & you should now notice that oftentimes with more severe oversteer the wheel will start to vibrate & even go light at points. Now try it with the BMW M4 untuned on SH tyres. You should notice the effect as well, but not as often or pronounced as the Evo. Drive with all assists off except ABS on default.

I'm not the only one in this thread that has noticed this bug. However, there may be several reasons why others haven't yet. Try the test & see for yourself.

👍

I dont think issues with just certain models are ffb related but more something car related. One thing that comes to mind is ffb struggling with the center diff evo has. Sending power between axles might give some funky ffb.

Is it that these ffb issues bother people using comfort tyres? I very rarely use other than sport/racing tyres. Mostly sm to rm - i try to stay off rs/rss tyres as they feel too grippy for my liking.

I dont think issues with just certain models are ffb related but more something car related. One thing that comes to mind is ffb struggling with the center diff evo has. Sending power between axles might give some funky ffb.

Obviously not, as I've already said it happens with the BMW M4 as well which doesn't have the Evo's centre diff. It's an FFB issue, not an issue with certain cars.

Is it that these ffb issues bother people using comfort tyres? I very rarely use other than sport/racing tyres. Mostly sm to rm - i try to stay off rs/rss tyres as they feel too grippy for my liking.

Try it for yourself & see.

👍

VBR
Obviously not, as I've already said it happens with the BMW M4 as well which doesn't have the Evo's centre diff. It's an FFB issue, not an issue with certain cars.

Try it for yourself & see.

👍

Im still thinking this might be more of a yaw/slip angle issue or tire deformation issue than an issuen in the actual ffb model. Game/physics is giving ffb wrong information. Have you tested if changing camber/caster has any effect to this? Just a tought.

Fact is - the only way everyone is happy with ffb is to make it more adjustable.

Im still thinking this might be more of a yaw/slip angle issue or tire deformation issue than an issuen in the actual ffb model. Game/physics is giving ffb wrong information. Have you tested if changing camber/caster has any effect to this? Just a tought.

I honestly don't know what's causing it, I have absolutely no idea. Whether it's a physics issue, an FFB issue, or some other game setting, I don't know. All I do know it that it's a real issue that needs to be looked into by someone at PD. They may even be aware of it already, who knows. Try to replicate it for yourself, & see what you think.

Fact is - the only way everyone is happy with ffb is to make it more adjustable.

Making the FFB more adjustable won't get rid of this bug. That said, I would like a few more options such as a Weight Shift Effects adjustment, as well as a Road/Curb Rumble adjustment. Would be nice if we could also adjust the bite point of the clutch, as well as the linearity of the throttle & brake pedals. Adding some deadzone adjustment to all pedals would be a nice touch too, especially useful to people who's pots are spiking - but all this is off topic & will probably never happen knowing PD.

VBR
If you have a G25 that you can use on the PS4, then please perform the following test & tell me what you find.

G25, with FFB settings 7/4/10 (torque set higher than 4 may start to mask the bug I'm describing). Evo 96 untuned on CS tyres at Brands Hatch GP, 10 am in the morning. Throw the car around to induce oversteer, & you should now notice that oftentimes with more severe oversteer the wheel will start to vibrate & even go light at points. Now try it with the BMW M4 untuned on SH tyres. You should notice the effect as well, but not as often or pronounced as the Evo. Drive with all assists off except ABS on default.

I'm not the only one in this thread that has noticed this bug. However, there may be several reasons why others haven't yet. Try the test & see for yourself.

👍

First thing that came to mind is the Evo's AYC system potentially getting the FFB mixed up. The M4 doesn't have AYC but modern sports cars also have some quirky electronics when you go into oversteer moments. Maybe it's modelled into the physics despite turning all aids off and that's what you're feeling. I don't drift often but the car I use most to practice drifting (GRMN GT86) doesn't have this vibration. Unfortunately my G25 is all boxed up in the attic and I just finished bolting my T-GT to my rig, so I'm kinda lazy to swap everything around again :P I'll bookmark this thread and defo try this out when I get the chance though.

I've tested this with several different cars since posting this thread, & they all suffer from the problem. The only car I didn't really notice it on is the Hyundai Genesis Gr.4.

It happens on the Honda Civic (FF), the RX7 (RWD), & the Evo 96 (4WD). I even tried putting RSS tyres on the front, & it still happens, so it's not understeer vibration as someone suggested it might be. I tested various tyre combos, & it happens on all three of those road cars, so again it has nothing to do with the Evo's AYC.

I hope PD acknowledge & find a fix for this bug soon...

After testing several cars after the 1.39 update, I can confirm that this "bug" is still present, but has gotten worse. I can now feel it in the Gr.4 Hyundia Genesis car, which I couldn't before. It's also much more pronounced in the Evo 96 (which is strange seeing as the brake oversteer issue has been dramatically reduced in road cars).

1) Steering wheels in the real world do not vibrate when cars oversteer, nor do they go light.

2) Steering wheels in the real world pull in the same direction as the car is oversteering because of self-aligning torque.

Polyphony Digital got this aspect of FFB right going all the way back to GT3 on the PS2, so it's utterly bizarre that they've all of a sudden got it so very wrong.

:confused:

VBR
After testing several cars after the 1.39 update, I can confirm that this "bug" is still present, but has gotten worse. I can now feel it in the Gr.4 Hyundia Genesis car, which I couldn't before. It's also much more pronounced in the Evo 96 (which is strange seeing as the brake oversteer issue has been dramatically reduced in road cars).

1) Steering wheels in the real world do not vibrate when cars oversteer, nor do they go light.

2) Steering wheels in the real world pull in the same direction as the car is oversteering because of self-aligning torque.

Polyphony Digital got this aspect of FFB right going all the way back to GT3 on the PS2, so it's utterly bizarre that they've all of a sudden got it so very wrong.

:confused:

I’m confused now because I only get the vibration on understeer not oversteer. And yeah some of the effects are not like in the real world but we are missing something from reality, G- force!

....Now I have the theme from battle of the planets running through my head. :)

VBR

Maybe it’s just your wheel? Mine doesn’t vibrate with oversteer.

They do get lighter, but that’s due to point #2 in combination with less weight on the front end. So the effect of the wheel getting “lighter” is close, it lacks a little pull though but even that is subtle.

VBR
I'd like to hear well thought out replies from other sim-racer-type wheel users who are knowledgeable about these kinds of matters. What are your thoughts & observations?

Some people don't seem to be able to read. Or maybe they can read, but don't seem to be able to understand.

:irked:

today i did not had fun since playing. since the update on 1.39 my G29 feels strange. i tryed it on race an drift.
but drifting feels catastrophic.
0/1/3 too soft
0/2/3 too hard, feels more like 0/4/3 and bad car control and clipping

i dont want to make every update a new setup to compensate the bad ffb.

VBR
I've tested this with several different cars since posting this thread, & they all suffer from the problem. The only car I didn't really notice it on is the Hyundai Genesis Gr.4.

It happens on the Honda Civic (FF), the RX7 (RWD), & the Evo 96 (4WD). I even tried putting RSS tyres on the front, & it still happens, so it's not understeer vibration as someone suggested it might be. I tested various tyre combos, & it happens on all three of those road cars, so again it has nothing to do with the Evo's AYC.

I hope PD acknowledge & find a fix for this bug soon...
VBR

After the test I performed with RSS on the front of several cars with the 1.38 update, the strange vibration was still happening & as a result, I was convinced that it couldn't be caused by understeer. After the 1.39 update the vibration got "worse", & as I was testing the Ferarri 458 road car on Suzuka I noticed that the effect/bug was now much clearer on that particular car. I started to go into corners slightly too fast, not applying any throttle, & turned the wheel way too much; this resulted in vibration every single time. This is the first time I've noticed it on any car just during understeer.

The problem is that this understeer effect/bug is still present on some cars when they're oversteering, & I'm not sure why that's happening. Maybe it's so noticeable on the Evo 96 because 4WD cars are prone to 4 wheel drifts, so when the car is oversteering the front wheels are losing traction slightly too which triggers the effect/bug. However, it still happens on RWD cars like the BWM M4 & the RX7 so I'm not entirely sure why. The other problem is that it feels so different between road cars, so if it is an effect, it's not a very effective one!

I'm now leaning more towards being of the opinion that this is a very badly implemented & buggy intentional effect, similar to the "Slip FFB" effect in Assetto Corsa (however, in AC the slip effect works on the rear wheels, not the front, & can be turned down & even off).

If this really is an intentional effect my only wish, as I originally asked for in the OP, is that PD gives us the option to turn it off. For me personally, it's a game killer...

Latest Posts

Back