The Political Satire/Meme Thread

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 13,619 comments
Da da dah da, da da dah da, da da dah dah, Da da dah da, da da dah da, da da dah dah, da da dah da dah da da dah......

I actually went to see them last year on their album tour, absolutely brilliant!

It's just such fun music. And "Gin Soaked Boy" is gorgeous.

I preferred the original video with the overweight coach stewardess but they can't show it any more because it's punching down. Besides Hannon himself, Jody Talbot is their MVP for me.

dv6dd0xjm1b51.jpg
Seriously? My personal car had seatbelts, and they don't work, technically the passenger side works... Anyways it's also exempt. ;)
I've been driving for almost 20 years, drove trucks for 7, no seatbelts...
I'm still here...
They can be uncomfortable especially the ones you can't adjust.
It's not mandatory for a person in the rear seat, it's not mandatory for someone sitting in the bed of the truck, maybe we should all wear helmets like motorcycle riders? I'd die from the heat,(no AC either) unless I could run some kind of elaborate cooling system for said helmet...but I don't think my poor Honda could take it, poor things transmission gave out. Thankfully it's only electrical, that said he called my car an "electrical nightmare".
People are spoiled by all these new cars, they're supposed to make driving safer but IMO all they are doing is making the drivers lazy and more reliant on the computer.
I don't have TC, ABS, Airbags... I have to drive it right, and I don't have a false sense of security. Hell my girl has a 2017 Camaro, you can still make it slide with TC on full, wrap your brain around all the money you waste on "safety features".

Now before someone starts with the you don't like masks either, I've changed my stance after posting about how the Corona is changing. Me wearing a seatbelt though has ZERO affects on the drivers around me. I'll wait for someone to say, "but it does"!

As for the CNN line...I'm moving on to the next subject.

Me wearing a seatbelt though has ZERO affects on the drivers around me. I'll wait for someone to say, "but it does"!

It does though. If you're injured in an accident because you're not wearing a seatbelt then the insurance has to dole out money when you end up in the hospital, which raises rates across the board. I don't think seatbelts should be mandatory, but at the same time, I think insurance companies should have the right to deny you any money if you're in an accident, not wearing one, and get injured.

maybe we should all wear helmets like motorcycle riders?

Not all motorcyclists wear helmets. I couldn't quite tell from your post whether that's you. It's true that in some places (like Colorado) motorcycle helmets are not required. And while it might be their freedom to go speeding down the road with the wind in their hair, it's also profoundly stupid.

Seriously? My personal car had seatbelts, and they don't work, technically the passenger side works... Anyways it's also exempt. ;)
I'm still here...
They can be uncomfortable especially the ones you can't adjust.
It's not mandatory for a person in the rear seat, it's not mandatory for someone sitting in the bed of the truck, maybe we should all wear helmets like motorcycle riders? I'd die from the heat,(no AC either) unless I could run some kind of elaborate cooling system for said helmet...but I don't think my poor Honda could take it, poor things transmission gave out. Thankfully it's only electrical, that said he called my car an "electrical nightmare".
People are spoiled by all these new cars, they're supposed to make driving safer but IMO all they are doing is making the drivers lazy and more reliant on the computer.
I don't have TC, ABS, Airbags... I have to drive it right, and I don't have a false sense of security. Hell my girl has a 2017 Camaro, you can still make it slide with TC on full, wrap your brain around all the money you waste on "safety features".

Now before someone starts with the you don't like masks either, I've changed my stance after posting about how the Corona is changing. Me wearing a seatbelt though has ZERO affects on the drivers around me. I'll wait for someone to say, "but it does"!

As for the CNN line...I'm moving on to the next subject.
Why wear a seatbelt?

Maybe so you don't get your head turned into tomato sauce from a crash you could walk away from if you went through the herculean effort of getting them fixed and taking 2 seconds to click it in place when you get in your car?

Just a thought.

Me wearing a seatbelt though has ZERO affects on the drivers around me. I'll wait for someone to say, "but it does"!
My father-in-law and I were once discussing whether seatbelts should be required by law. He came up with the good point that not wearing your seatbelt could easily make the difference in totally losing control of the vehicle if you are thrown off from the controls, which can then affect others. Not even necessarily thrown clear, just getting thrown off would be enough.

I'm still here...

We once employed a guy who worked for us for >15 years in our CFS operation. He could be the nicest guy in the world but he had a temper and was stubborn when it flared and it worked against him. He was also a bit of a muscle car buff and was enamored with anything form the 60s or early 70s with a V8. So we used to talk cars from time to time. But he had an issue with seatbelts. His car had them. But he refused to wear one. We had discussed it a few times and his reasons were two fold: (a) he couldn't stand the fact that the 'government' was telling him what to do in his own car and (b) he had this strange notion that the seatbelt could become jammed and he didn't want to die in a fire. One of my work partners was an EMS volunteer for years and he told him straight up, that in the years he rushed to roadside accidents, he had seen just about everything imaginable, but he had never unbuckled a dead person.

One day, while driving across town, and not wearing his seatbelt as usual, with his wife and daughter following behind in another car, another driver made a left in front of him at a light and he t-boned the turning car, unable to stop or swerve. He was flung above the airbag and halfway out the windshield where his chest cavity was crushed in the impact. His wife and 14 year old daughter got to watch him die there on the spot, sputtering blood and gasping while waiting for the ambulance. He was 46 years old.

He drove longer than you without a seatbelt. Now he's a statistic. Don't be one too.

It does though. If you're injured in an accident because you're not wearing a seatbelt then the insurance has to dole out money when you end up in the hospital, which raises rates across the board. I don't think seatbelts should be mandatory, but at the same time, I think insurance companies should have the right to deny you any money if you're in an accident, not wearing one, and get injured.
Technically the insurance company has the right not to pay, thousands if not millions of vehicle insurance claims get denied. Hell StateFarm gave me the boot after 4 tows over 10 years, nothing to do with accidents. That said in Ga, all you need is liability insurance, which only covers the other driver and their car, not me, nor my car. Also if I'm at fault guess who's insurance isn't going to pay a penny? Theirs.
Not all motorcyclists wear helmets. I couldn't quite tell from your post whether that's you. It's true that in some places (like Colorado) motorcycle helmets are not required. And while it might be their freedom to go speeding down the road with the wind in their hair, it's also profoundly stupid.
I believe they should be able to make the decision.
Why wear a seatbelt?

Maybe so you don't get your head turned into tomato sauce from a crash you could walk away from if you went through the herculean effort of getting them fixed and taking 2 seconds to click it in place when you get in your car?

Just a thought.
An expensive thought. The seatbelt latch is actually part of the seat. Now I'm sure there is someway to remove it from the seat, the likelihood of me finding a new replacement for a 30 year old car is damn near impossible much less finding a working one in a junkyard or one in a junkyard period.
I've tried, WD-40, PB Blaster, compressed air, screwdrivers, picks, everything to get it to work.

All that said, my ex drives Honda Accords too. Mine is a 91, has survived 4 accidents only needing to be straightened out once. Said accident was the only one reported by myself or the other party, damage was minimal if any in the other 3.
Hers was an 02.

We both had a similar "t-bone" accident at around 40mph.
Her car was totaled airbags deployed.
Mine, a busted headlight and turn signal and the radiator. I took a tow strap and my old work van and pulled it straight myself.
Besides the car damage, she had bruising on her stomach, chest and neck from the airbags and seatbelt plus a concussion from the airbags.
Me a bruised knee.

Last edited:
I'm still here...
Deaths on the road are reduced by seatbelts. Pointing out that somebody drives without one and is still alive doesn't contradict that. It's completely expected that some non-wearers are alive. You'd need to look at percentages of total road users.

I believe they should be able to make the decision.

I do too. But nobody should. I don't think the government should require helmets, but I sure as hell would wear one while riding a motorcycle. I don't think the government should require seatbelts, but I absolutely wear them. I also don't think suicide should be illegal, but I'm not interested in killing myself.

Masks though... that's more like drunk driving. And while I don't think the government should ban drunk driving, I absolutely think that the drunk drivers should be hit hard with the law if they cause a collision. Likewise if you infect someone while not wearing a mask. That's demonstrated negligence that resulted in injury or death.

I also very much see the argument against drunk driving (or going maskless during a pandemic) as a prohibited activity in and of its own right. This is not where I will grab my picket sign and go fight a libertarian fight. It's also easier to make the argument that you can't be looking out for others with no mask than to make the argument that you can't be looking out for others while drunk... at least that's my understanding.

Edit:

I have a fair number of these "in a perfect libertarian society" views, that would be the cherry on the sundae but are not short term goals. No ban on drunk driving would be one of those. If you can pilot your car down the road appearing to be in control, and not cause an accident, it's very difficult to prove that you did anything wrong. But this is like... one of the last things to do. When you don't have the sundae it's hard to add the cherry.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, we don't have any doctors, lawyers, scientists, or business people anymore, just antifa super soldiers. Better to stay uneducated and pump gas or work in a 7-11.

Antonio Branco is insane.

Last edited:
ITS FUNNY!

You guys got no sense of humor.
stupid

dd0.jpg

Aaaaanyway.

Setting aside partisan politics, Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Dan Sullivan (R-AK) took to their respective social media spaces to pay heartwarming tribute to fellow congressman John Lewis (D-GA), a man they'd worked with for years, upon news of his passing...

EdO0XCWUwAAywj0.jpg
EdP1WTwX0AAOg2N.jpg

...by posting pictures they'd taken with congressman Elijah Cummings (D-MD), who himself passed in October of 2019.

dd0.jpg

Aaaaanyway.

Setting aside partisan politics, Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Dan Sullivan (R-AK) took to their respective social media spaces to pay heartwarming tribute to fellow congressman John Lewis (D-GA), a man they'd worked with for years, upon news of his passing...

EdO0XCWUwAAywj0.jpg
EdP1WTwX0AAOg2N.jpg

...by posting pictures they'd taken with congressman Elijah Cummings (D-MD), who himself passed in October of 2019.
If I'm not wrong the same thing happened when Elijah Cummings passed. A few select individuals made a "Rip Elijah Cummings" post with a picture of John Lewis. Aside from the fact that both men are old and bald, they don't even look that much alike.

Back