The Political Satire/Meme Thread

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 13,619 comments
President Brannigan.

Uh... Futurama did it?

D2NXTSw.jpg

False dilemma.
I think it was intended as a humorous example of homespun "wisdom", as it's obvious that they probably won't die from going to school but I'd be interested to hear your explanation.

Last edited:
Kids won't die in school, and they won't end up idiots outside of school.
This makes the school ban sound like a waste of time... surely, a matter of opinion. A lot of kids are being home schooled now but not everyone can afford to do this indefinitely if at all.

This makes the school ban sound like a waste of time... surely, a matter of opinion. A lot of kids are being home schooled now but not everyone can afford to do this indefinitely if at all.

A lot depends on the age in this conversation.

I'm not sure what the point is that you're trying to make. Are you saying that kids are going to end up dumb because parents are going to go back to work and kids will not get educated? But that we're comparing this to the risk of exposing them to other kids (to take it back to the posted photo)? If that's the case, then the risk of death for those kids is also substantially higher, because standard of care is low by definition. So it's not a comparison of whether they're at great risk in school to no risk outside of school. It'd be a comparison of some risk (age dependent) inside school to some different risk (age dependent) outside of school.

Likewise, education will vary by institution and home situation.

If we just take high schoolers for a moment, which are a higher risk group than elementary schoolers, and might be less likely to keep masks on and observe social distancing in school. We're faced with a situation where high schoolers are at some risk of COVID while at school (even with mask policies for students and teachers). But those same high schoolers may be at greater risk outside of school. Where they will go sneak to their friends house to make out, do drugs, play video games, etc. Even if you have a very studious high schooler (who would have been careful with a mask at school), they may be at significantly greater risk staying at home, probably unsupervised in many situations. It's not that hard to injure yourself or have a medical emergency when you're at home alone. So if we're just comparing personal risk vs. personal risk, I'm not convinced that banning in person learning is in the best interest of even high schoolers (which are the highest risk group among children).

As I mentioned, education is also a big variable. Some high school aged kids would get great education at home - with a parent who stays home all day and manages instruction based on what the high school provides. A lot of high school aged kids would get worse or similar instruction at home to what they would have received at school. And lots of them will also flat out ignore their studies. But then... the ones that ignore their studies... how much were they going to learn in school anyway? I'm not super convinced about what will happen on the education front for each individual kid based on a lack of in-person school either.

What I do know is that schools being closed is hard on students (psychologically, socially) and it's hard on parents (economically and psychologically).

I'm not sure what the point is that you're trying to make. Are you saying that kids are going to end up dumb because parents are going to go back to work and kids will not get educated? But that we're comparing this to the risk of exposing them to other kids (to take it back to the posted photo)? If that's the case, then the risk of death for those kids is also substantially higher, because standard of care is low by definition. So it's not a comparison of whether they're at great risk in school to no risk outside of school. It'd be a comparison of some risk (age dependent) inside school to some different risk (age dependent) outside of school.
I get it now. You're saying that the meme about what someone's Jamaican granny supposedly said isn't scientifically rigorous. OK, carry on. :lol:

I get it now. You're saying that the meme about what someone's Jamaican granny supposedly said isn't scientifically rigorous. OK, carry on. :lol:

I'm saying it's dumb.

Edit:

To be fair, it's less dumb than the one with the school on fire.

I challenge you to find me any Latin American/Caribbean nation that democratically elected a leftist president and the US didn’t take any action to overthrow them and replace them with a fascist military dictatorship. Go ahead.

Ricardo Lagos, Chili?

Back