The Shaving Thread Part II

• Thread starter Mike Rotch
  • 54 comments

Mike Rotch

Aluminium Overcast
Staff Emeritus
Australia
Down under
Seems like the first 'What do you shave with' thread is a bit old, so I thought my foray into new shaving equipment might be a good chance to revive the idea.

Pretty much since I started shaving, I have been using the 'Best a Man Can Get', or so the ad men had me believing. Up until recently I used the following:

9i0u.jpg

However my dissatisfaction with the durability of the blades (blunt after two or three shaves on my growth), the unjustifiably high cost of replacement blades (4 pack = ~$20 here) and the constant "no 3 blades is better...no four blades is better...no five blades is better" really started pissing me off. The only thing going for cartridge razors are that you can shave in a slumber, in 2 mins and 99.9% of the time it will be nick free - at the cost of leaving a lot of hair on the face.

So I got reading - what did men use before ad men decided that disposable was an improvement. Is it an improvement if after all this time we are just adding more blades to current solution?

The light, I have seen it :) The solution is going back to the past - the classic wet shave with a safety razor (or single blade for the seriously experiences). 👍

A safety/ double edged razor uses a double edged blade seated into a fixed razor head to do it's cutting. Depending on the razor, the amount of blade exposed can be adjusted to give a more or less aggressive shave, or, one can get a razor that is designed to be more or less aggressive through design.

A blade last's 2-3 shaves before dulling, but given the cost of an average blade is 25c, that is no biggie! However as there are no fancy safety nets with a double edged razor, technique is paramount to get the closest shave and avoid nicks - the blades are ahem...razor sharp when new...so the option to shave in a slumber in the morning is off the table.

In addition, a few new pieces of shaving kit are required to get the most out of the shave, and make the new routine even more enjoyable (yes, shaving can now be fun), and more importantly, preparation of the skin is now needed via:

1) Warming the whiskers properly - hot cloth on the face for a few mins to open the pores
2) A proper shaving soap/ cream in conjunction with a shaving brush will create a superior foam to the canned goop and help the razor glide over the face
3) After-shave to moisturise the skin and close your pores
4) Styptic balm (for the occasion nick ;)).

My new shaving kit is now:

ej3l.jpg

Sure, it takes 10-15mins now to shave instead of 2min, but even with my very rough technique, I can't remember the last time I had this close a shave.

Well that's my piece, what do you guys shave with?

Do you mean legs or face? :dopey:

Like you had previously been using I still use the Gillette Mach 3 razors.
Up until recently I had also been using the horrible stuff in a can. When ordering some goodies I was also sent some sample creams.

Currently using this to shave.

RaphaShaving3.jpg

And then once finished using this.

3774-01.jpg

The shaving cream is excellent and when rubbed into to wet skin produces a glorious lather that even steps up the Gillette razors.
The post shave lotion leaves the skin feeling refreshed and well, smelling quite nice. :embarrassed:
In true Rapha form they tie the cycling aspect into it by using some of the ingredients from Mont Ventoux.

Once I've finished the sample pots I'll probably look to the same route as a actual shaving cream and after shave lotion but source the products from elsewhere as the Rapha stuff is quite pricey.

Hadn't thought of a different razor system and may have to look into that. 👍

I started with disposables before getting an electric back in '94 or so. Battery life was pretty sucky back then so when it packed it in after only a couple of years I went to disposables again.

About three years ago I thought I'd try electric again so I got a Philips powertouch 5000.

Thor_PT920_contour.jpg

I usually just shave dry but if if I need to lube the skin I go with:

oil-DefaultImage-1.jpg

And finishing I use:

LIVE%20JAZZ%20EDT%2050ML%20SPRAY.jpg

Disposable razor.

disposable-razor-0808-lg-82737737.jpg

Sink w/ water.

bathroom-sink-with-waterman-washes-hands-in-bathroom-sink-with-soap-and-water-then-turns-ftgao0hm.jpg

Vaseline moisture.

17829011_H.jpg

I hate shaving. It's such a chore, but I don't suit a full on beard. I like to keep mine neat, thin and trimmed. I use a pair of small scissors every day for trimming and I shave every other day to get rid of the hairs that appear on my neck, and for precision on my face.

I shave my head and my face in the shower (for about 15 years) with a Schick Hydro. Fingertips tell you so much more than a mirror, so screw the mirror. I'd rather have an incredibly wet and warm environment. I use the same body wash on my face & head that I use for my body.

My wife bought me a pack of Gillette 3 blade disposable with aloe and blah blah. I thought my Schick blades were dull after using them all summer every few days. I took this POS Gillette to my head and I may as well have been using a wood plainer!!!!!!

I tried a HeadBlade, it had a very cheap blade and I never used it again.

My dull Schick blades take care of my chrome dome with such great care. (Just more affirmation to despise the NE Patriots!!!!!!) :drops mic:

Welcome to the club, Mike. What brand/model of razor is yours?

Currently using either this:

edwin-jagger-de86-300x300.jpg

or this:

dovo-100581-best-quality-straight-razor-black-large.png

with an Edwin Jagger silver-tip badger hair brush and Proraso cream, balm, etc.

and one of these for the times when I let myself get a little scruffy:

philips-qt4090-turbo-vacuum-beard-trimmer%7CB153P_SP303_08_PK0D2.jpg

Method for satisfactory and miserly shaving:

Procure cheapest disposable razor you can buy provided it has a swivel head and a lube strip.

Most important thing: shave in the shower. Buy a shower mirror. The warm shower water will have made your beard so soft that you can cut through it like nothing with just water. No shave cream necessary. Razors will last you around 2 weeks if you're fussy. You'll spend $5 a year on supplies. You don't have to be careful because it's almost impossible to cut yourself. I can knock out my beard in less than 30 seconds with my eyes closed.

Out of interest Mike where did you purchase all your gear from?
I've been looking around and there are lots of options.

Shaun
When ordering some goodies I was also sent some sample creams.

I never figured they'd make non-cycling stuff - learn something new every day 👍

What brand/model of razor is yours?

All the literature suggests a EJ89 or Merkur 34C is the best all round starter razor....but I wanted a butterfly, and whilst those two manufacturers do make them, they are a bit high end and more on the aggressive side of things.

So I ended up getting a Parker 92R - very fews reviews or anything written about it though so it was a bit of a shot in the dark, but I am happy with it so far. It is not aggressive at all so I can foresee after a while I will need an upgrade (vintage maybe) but at the moment, it's great. Very sensitive to the blade though - still working out which razor/ blade/ skin combo is the best.

What DE do you have? Also, what cream do you use - I'm using Taylor of Old Bond but finding that it dries super quickly.

Out of interest Mike where did you purchase all your gear from?
I've been looking around and there are lots of options.

Originally I found everything on Amazon...but they don't post that kit to Aus :indiff:.

I got the razor and 50 sample blade pack of ebay as the razor I was after isn't sold in Aus (online) for some reason. The skin care products I got off menzbiz.com.au. They are slightly cheaper then shaverhut.com.au and I had a good experience with their service. I think their razors and blades are OP though - much cheaper online elsewhere with a bit of research. Their creams and balms are pretty keenly priced from my research.

So I ended up getting a Parker 92R - very fews reviews or anything written about it though so it was a bit of a shot in the dark, but I am happy with it so far.

Blade choice is what really matters, and with blade sample packs being so cheap, it won't be long before you find the right blade for you. Most other things (such as varying cut angle and aggressiveness) can be achieved through technique.

What DE do you have? Also, what cream do you use - I'm using Taylor of Old Bond but finding that it dries super quickly.

Currently an EJ DE89, which is great. I've used Taylors in the past and not had any problems, but since trying Proraso shaving soap (in the green plastic bowl) I wouldn't use anything else. Proraso really know what they are doing when it comes to making shaving products, my bathroom cabinet is full of their stuff.

So I ended up getting a Parker 92R

That's one of the razors I've been looking at actually.

I got the razor and 50 sample blade pack of ebay as the razor I was after isn't sold in Aus (online) for some reason. The skin care products I got off menzbiz.com.au. They are slightly cheaper then shaverhut.com.au and I had a good experience with their service. I think their razors and blades are OP though - much cheaper online elsewhere with a bit of research. Their creams and balms are pretty keenly priced from my research.

Thanks for that I hadn't heard of menzbiz, I'll check them out also. 👍
I've been looking for a starter type kit and so far I've only come across real expensive stuff or very cheap gear. I'm sure I'll find something if I keep looking.

but since trying Proraso shaving soap (in the green plastic bowl) I wouldn't use anything else.

This one?

Shaun
92R[/url]

Happy with it so far - changing blades is a quick job, I am sure a 3 piece screw apart head is not that much work but the 'old fashioned-ness' of a butterfly is oddly satisfying.

Soap vs cream. I believe it's more work to get a soap into a lather than a cream, but other than that I am not across the relative pro's and cons 👍.

Hmm, so much reading and info to take in.

Came across this from the link you provided me, seems not too bad of a place to start.

Hmm, so much reading and info to take in.

Came across this from the link you provided me, seems not too bad of a place to start.

That's a pretty good deal, especially as they throw in soap for $0 when it usually costs >$20 - Merkur have a reputation for being one of the best razors around.

Before you pull the trigger, you should check out some youtube vids on shaving with a safety razor. It know its a big weird watching clips of guys shaving (:embarrassed:) but it's very informative. Geofatboy and mantic have some great video's of how to wet shave - geofatboy has this video of the 34C (heavier version of the 33C).

All you'd need in addition that that kit is a $2 cereal bowl to lather in, some $10 styptic from the same site (kills nicks in no time) and with your aftershave balm you'd be sweet :).

My only other recommendation would be to get a sample pack of blades from ebay - Feather have a reputation for being the sharpest (so best left for after a few shaves) and a few other brands will help you find a blade that best works for you. For example, I found gillette pretty crappy, but Bic pretty awesome. It would't be great to find the Derby's don't work for you and give you a bad impression of the razor.

Before you pull the trigger, you should check out some youtube vids on shaving with a safety razor. It know its a big weird watching clips of guys shaving (:embarrassed:) but it's very informative.

Already did that, yes it did feel rather odd.

My only other recommendation would be to get a sample pack of blades from ebay - Feather have a reputation for being the sharpest (so best left for after a few shaves) and a few other brands will help you find a blade that best works for you. For example, I found gillette pretty crappy, but Bic pretty awesome. It would't be great to find the Derby's don't work for you and give you a bad impression of the razor.

Was thinking of that, the pack has three different types of blades, probably start at the Derby's and work my way up to the Feather later once I've tried some others as well.

Best I probably get some styptic as well. :scared:

Edit: I do like the idea of getting 100 blades for around $20-$30 though. Will pay for itself in no time.

Given that I've only got sideburns, a goatee and upper lip hair (bumfluff!) to shave, I currently use this.

6a0105371ec95f970b011570b39dbf970b-pi.jpg

+

Sensitive-Skin-Shave-Gel.png

Best I probably get some styptic as well. :scared:

As MarinaDiamandis said a few weeks ago in the Infield when I mentioned getting a new razor, you wont cut yourself if you just go up, down or across - like a regular shave. If you got laterally on the edge, of course, you'll cut, but the same applies to a cartridge :).

I've only needed styptic once going against the grain on my neck on the first pass with the gillette blades. One leaving ATG for later passes, its been all sweet.

Shaun
Edit: I do like the idea of getting 100 blades for around $20-$30 though. Will pay for itself in no time.

I know right, 100 blades - conservatively 2 shaves a blade - 200 shaves for $20. That's >6 months worth :crazy:. If you stretch it to 3 shaves a blade, that's almost a year!

Ok,trigger pulled.
If I don't get along with any of the three types of blades that come with it I'll order a larger type sample pack from fleabay.

I really do not understand why I have to change blades so seldom. It's not like I have bumfluff on my cheeks either. I shave in the shower with a Gillette Fusion and shaving gel. Change blades once a month at the most, probably even more seldom, never cut myself and get a close shave every time.

I used to use razors, but my parents deemed it was "Too expensive for a teenager", so now I get to use two electric razors:

A Remington R425 for the main job, two dials on each rotatory to shave quickly:
resource.ashx

And a Philips 7300 for a detail and closer shave to get any missed spots and hard to get areas on the neck:
HQ7300_16-IMS-global

And to finish it up, I put on either:
NFM-ASBalm-CoolKick_bottle_1306.ashx

or
PostShave_Hydrate_Large316-305905.png

Well, I tend to shave in the shower, or directly after I get out of the shower. Works best for me, as the hair will be quite soft and easy to cut. This is what I'm using:

Wilkinson-Sword-Hydro-5-Rasierer-Lieferumfang.jpg

Granted, the blade cartridges aren't the cheapest, at 15 bucks for eight blades or something like that, but they usually last about a week or two for me a piece, so that's like 7.50 bucks a month. Entirely acceptable, I think, especially given that I'm able to get a good shave without any cuts even if I'm in a hurry or still in zombie mode. Got to admit, that's largely because I keep a little bit of beard and I use something else to keep that trimmed. As such, I'm only using the razor for my cheeks, upper lip and the neck.

BaByliss_3_Tage_Bartschneider_800x533.jpg.2921236.jpg

Relatively cheap piece of crap, to be honest, but it gets the job done. Keeps the facial hair on my jaw and chin at three to four milimetres well enough, no need to get anything else.

The only thing I trust when it comes to after shave products:

nivea-for-men-sensitive-aftershave-balm-100ml__00685_zoom.jpg

I really do not understand why I have to change blades so seldom. It's not like I have bumfluff on my cheeks either. I shave in the shower with a Gillette Fusion and shaving gel. Change blades once a month at the most, probably even more seldom, never cut myself and get a close shave every time.

Because you do it in the shower.

I've tried just about all of the techniques mentioned here, including the shaving brush.

If you're going to shave outside of the shower I recommend the brush. Shaving is all about having a warm face, and on a cold morning the shaving cream in-a-can can be pretty cold. All that does is constrict your face, make you uncomfortable, and make it hard to shave. By contrast when you use the brush you can use warm water to make a warm lather - this makes shaving much much easier.

That being said, the best route is to shave in the shower. In the shower your biggest problem will be keeping the mirror clean and free from fog. Otherwise you're golden. No shaving cream needed - just use soap (don't bother with shaving cream, for some reason many of them still use metal, which means rust on your shower - plus it's not even helpful). Shaving takes a fraction of the time, and cleans up much easier.

I use cheap plastic handheld mirrors (not anti-fog ones) and just run water over them to keep them from fogging. Periodically you need to scrub them with a vinegar-based cleaner, and it'll go another month or so. Alternatively you can wipe it down with a towel after each shower and it will just stay clean.

Anyway, save your money on the shaving supplies. Use a disposable razor, shave in the shower, skip the foam, skip the brush, and skip the aftershave. Disposable razors last me about 2-3 months per blade - so I buy new razors about once every two years (then again, I only shave to keep the beard clean, I don't shave my whole face - however, shaving to keep the beard clean is more than half of the surface area that shaving my whole face would be).

Thus far I've been using a razor with cream for shaving mustache and leg hair for the sake of lessening air resistance in cycling(with woolly hair on the shin it turns out to be a hindrance for riding a bike - especially in pedaling against wind coming in the front), and I mostly do it in a shower because the hair becomes softer and it's easier to shave stooping down, rather than lifting up my calves on the washstand in general - while I normally shave my face in front of the sink in the morning or taking a shower. :)

As for the blades of a razor I clean out the hair between the edge after I made use of it, and change the blade once a month(or longer) when it became blunt for shaving. Also, when I have alternatives for the one in use I swap the razor itself if it gets too much clogged up with razored hair. :)

How do you guys shave in the shower so that the mirror doesn't fog up?
That may sound strange, but I'm perfectly able to shave without a mirror. And I still get a nice result 95% of the time. The remaining 5% aren't something that couldn't be fixed in front of a mirror afterwards ;)

How do you guys shave in the shower so that the mirror doesn't fog up?

For me I usually wash down the fog on the mirror with a shower of water right before looking up myself in the mirror - and subsequently I keep on using water so that the mirror doesn't fog up again.

On shaving my legs it's no problem as I don't need a mirror to discern where to shave and where is already clean. :lol:

Pre-shave, pre-shower, pre-everything, really:

0W19ZTCl.jpg

Implements of whisker destruction - Philips Norelco trimmer, EDGE gel, Schick Quattro, Nivea Post Shave:

1lYsLoFl.jpg

No warming of the whiskers, no applicator brush post trim and shave. Still no shower :lol: :

6Z8Vvkml.jpg

I'm happy enough that I can use the Quattro for at least a month before having to switch out the heads that I'm not worried about the price. The results are pretty decent, too.

Back