The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
EDIT: Sorry. Though I hit the edit button:(

Yeah. I think there are like 4 different types for those connector pins. I did quite a bit of research to make sure I ordered the right converter when I did mine. Don't remember what type it was called.

I have connected a three pin fan to a wall wart plug before (it's actually how I run my 120mm fan on my T500 now). And finding the right combo can be a real pain. But at least with a wall wart, you can quickly keep trying the combos, plug it into the wall, and when the fan finally comes to life, you've found the proper combination to permanently afix.

And let me just say, I don't think a fan spins backwards under those conditions. At least in my very limited experience. It either spins up or nothing.

Thanks for the help guys. I pulled the two black and yellow pins out of the adapter cable and reversed them. 10 minutes into a spin around Silverstone on AC I was met with the sound of a mouse exhaling at 20 yards.

Sweet Jesus the Noctua is quiet compared to the standard fan. Its night and day. Or to put it another way I couldn't get to sleep at night with the standard Chiefly fan growling beside me after a race session. With this no more waiting till cool down before I can get some kip.

Still took 45mins to spin down which was a little disappointing as I was hoping it would drastically improve on the cooling time. Ahh well, can't have it all.

Hi Mr.Basher, I Have heard a lot about your products, I really want a shortened shaft and maybe some other things. Is there a website you have or thread or anything that shows your products? And how/where do I purchase? I'd love to make an order asap! Thank you!

Hi guys, anyone know how you can adjust degrees of rotation in Gran Turismo 6 with GTE rim? On with the original T500 GT wheel you simply press "mode" button and "select" button together if I can remember and it does the flashing on the wheel to indicate degrees etc.

On the GTE I don't seem to be able to figure out how to do it.

Any help would be great

Anyone know how to make the T500 work in Race 07? It was released before T500 but I have never had problem playing older games like RBR. In Race 07 it doesn´t matter if I choose G27 as my wheel or any other wheel in the options menu, the wheel turn very heavily to the side if it´s for example just slightly like 1 degree to the right it turns very violently in that direction. I have no clue why It´s behaving like this.

Wh
Anyone know how to make the T500 work in Race 07? It was released before T500 but I have never had problem playing older games like RBR. In Race 07 it doesn´t matter if I choose G27 as my wheel or any other wheel in the options menu, the wheel turn very heavily to the side if it´s for example just slightly like 1 degree to the right it turns very violently in that direction. I have no clue why It´s behaving like this.

What is Race 07?

The FFB Strength slider goes from -100 to +100. -100 being inverted FFB from what you have now. So try setting that slider all the way to opposite side (being either left or right from where it is now).

It just basically works the same as in rFactor 1 engine based games. So Game Stock Car is the same, Simraceway, Formula Truck, etc.

I don't recall issues either, just build a custom profile manually. But I would add that Race07 doesn't automatically reduce steering lock per car, so you need to set steering lock in drivers down to something lower (I think I tended to use 450-540 degrees when I was playing Race07 and the many DLC packs).

My main problem with Race07 now, apart from the aged graphics, is that after experiencing Assetto Corsa and other modern sims the FFB in Race07 feels very canned to me, nowhere near as alive.

Has anyone here replaced the pots on their T500 pedals ? Mine have B25K stamped on them but I have been unable to find an exact match to replace them with.

Would these work ? http://au.element14.com/bourns/pdb181-e420f-503b/potentiometer-rotary-5okohm-17mm/dp/1823611

You need 25k ohm pots.
B means that it is a linear pot.
The original pots are made by Alpha and are easily found on the web.
The problem is finding the right shaft type and shaft length, as well as having the right PCB with the correct terminals.

Since I never got to the pots myself and haven't measured or seen them, I cant really tell you need this or that exactly.

Here's a technical doc with the different types of Alpha B25k pots: http://datasheet.octopart.com/RV24AF-10-15R1-BF4-Alpha-Taiwan-datasheet-7284859.pdf

I've ordered several different types that fit. Unfortunately, the main issue is that you need a 60 degree effective rotation. What that means is that the electrical contact portion within the pot only covers a fraction of the actual rotation. It outputs 0% to 100% over only 60 degrees of travel. I have not been able to find one in the appropriate size as there are very few to be found like this to begin with.

I gave up looking. Though, there are some that might work that are sold by a robotics shop in the UK. They are however a bit expensive for what they are and they may not fit.

In short, a normal pot, even if it fits, will not work. You get about 15% output and that is all. :(

Thanks for the replies guys. Although I hadn't measured the rotation , I was concerned that the smallest one I found was 220 degrees. This is turning out to be more difficult than I thought !
Does anyone know if Thrustmaster able to supply replacements ?

Cheers

Thanks for the replies guys. Although I hadn't measured the rotation , I was concerned that the smallest one I found was 220 degrees. This is turning out to be more difficult than I thought !

Cheers

Only one way to find out, mail/call their support desk. They are really nice and helpful chaps from my experience. :)

Cheers

The mechanical rotation isn't really an issue, the pots that come with the pedals actually have the standard rotation for the most part. However, the part that actually has output is about 60 degrees of that rotation.

Thrustmaster will supply them, but they might be a little expensive. If you are under warranty still, they should be free though.

Thanks guys , I will get in touch with TM . Pedals are about 2 years old now , but I'll happily pay. They are otherwise faultless and it would be a shame to replace them because of such a small problem.

Thanks for the help guys. I pulled the two black and yellow pins out of the adapter cable and reversed them. 10 minutes into a spin around Silverstone on AC I was met with the sound of a mouse exhaling at 20 yards.

Sweet Jesus the Noctua is quiet compared to the standard fan. Its night and day. Or to put it another way I couldn't get to sleep at night with the standard Chiefly fan growling beside me after a race session. With this no more waiting till cool down before I can get some kip.

Still took 45mins to spin down which was a little disappointing as I was hoping it would drastically improve on the cooling time. Ahh well, can't have it all.
I have been meaning to replace my fan also. But I'm not really all that technical and I'm a little bit worried I might break something. :)

The fan you chose, it's a bit thick right? That's why you have to use double tape?
There is no soldering involved in this process, right?

On youtube I can only find one proper video where they do this installation. It's a Spanish girl/woman apparently. :)

Just a random comment, the Thrustmaster support site now has T500RS game compatibility on PS4 listed... Copy/paste:

Your racing wheel is Force Feedback-capable on PlayStation®4 (*) with:

- DRIVECLUB™ - PS4
- F1 2015 – PS4
- PROJECT CARS - PS4
- THE CREW™ - PS4
- Many other games coming very soon
T500 RS: PlayStation®4 compatibility(*)

(*)This decision is upon each game developer and will therefore vary from racing game to racing game.

In the event of upward compatibility with PS4™ racing games, the T500 RS racing wheel will only be recognized in the game, and not in the console’s menus. Please note that the “SHARE” and “PS” functions will not work on the wheel in PS4™ racing games. Nevertheless you can still use your gamepad for these 2 specific functions

Thrustmaster will supply them, but they might be a little expensive. If you are under warranty still, they should be free though.

I got a reply from TM. They can supply one pot for 41 Euros or a complete set for 53 Euros including postage. The shipping cost is the killer , especially as I'm in Australia and they are in France. I only need to replace the throttle pot but I ordered the complete set anyway. This should keep the pedals going for many years to come. :)

My paddle shifter switches seem to gradually die on me.
I tried Bodin Solutions some 7 weeks ago, but they were not in stock then.
Now they are still unavailable...
@mrbasher ... help ? ;)

Hi Mr.Basher, I Have heard a lot about your products, I really want a shortened shaft and maybe some other things. Is there a website you have or thread or anything that shows your products? And how/where do I purchase? I'd love to make an order asap! Thank you!
Here you go: http://www.basherboards.com/
It's also in his signature. ;)

I bought a shortened shaft from him. It's awesome. :)

I have been meaning to replace my fan also. But I'm not really all that technical and I'm a little bit worried I might break something. :)

The fan you chose, it's a bit thick right? That's why you have to use double tape?
There is no soldering involved in this process, right?

On youtube I can only find one proper video where they do this installation. It's a Spanish girl/woman apparently. :)
Very sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on the forum. I was very very scared about opening the T500rs as well. I'm into tech but not wiring or anything to do with the insides of things like this. The 3 pin to 2 pin adapter I bought was the wrong one but I got it to work with a bit of filing of the T500 fan socket which if you get the adapter unlike the idiot I am you wont have to do.

I used a hot glue gun to get the fan installed but many use double sided tape. It is thicker than the original but its almost impossible to find a fan as thin as the original. Once installed I couldn't go back to the original. There is definitely no soldering involved.

I was also using the Spanish video which (no offence to the poster) wasn't fantastic and made me a little bit worried about doing it all but the Thrustmaster instructions are very good. Its on this thread post 10:

http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/7035-t500rs-faulty-fan/

Take your time, theres no rush and just make sure its not plugged into power & your grounded just because it electronics.

If you need any help let me know.

My paddle shifter switches seem to gradually die on me.
I tried Bodin Solutions some 7 weeks ago, but they were not in stock then.
Now they are still unavailable...
@mrbasher ... help ? ;)

FWIW, MrBasher is MY supplier -- the switches are a joint effort, Basher produces them but I take care of orders and shipping. I'm out of stock and I've tried contacting MrBasher to re-order, but I haven't heard back from him in a bit. I know he announced his newborn daughter a month or so (?) ago, so I'm sure he's busy, and hopefully he'll get back in touch with me shortly.

In the meantime, if your wheel is still under warranty, Thustmaster WILL provide switches free of charge, and their new replacements have been the improved 1 million cycle units, I believe, so you might want to contact TM tech support first, and hopefully I'll have new stock in hand soon.

FWIW, MrBasher is MY supplier -- the switches are a joint effort, Basher produces them but I take care of orders and shipping. I'm out of stock and I've tried contacting MrBasher to re-order, but I haven't heard back from him in a bit. I know he announced his newborn daughter a month or so (?) ago, so I'm sure he's busy, and hopefully he'll get back in touch with me shortly.

In the meantime, if your wheel is still under warranty, Thustmaster WILL provide switches free of charge, and their new replacements have been the improved 1 million cycle units, I believe, so you might want to contact TM tech support first, and hopefully I'll have new stock in hand soon.
Thanks for clearing this up for me 👍
My wheel is out of warranty. But I will contact them anyway.

Very sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on the forum. I was very very scared about opening the T500rs as well. I'm into tech but not wiring or anything to do with the insides of things like this. The 3 pin to 2 pin adapter I bought was the wrong one but I got it to work with a bit of filing of the T500 fan socket which if you get the adapter unlike the idiot I am you wont have to do.

I used a hot glue gun to get the fan installed but many use double sided tape. It is thicker than the original but its almost impossible to find a fan as thin as the original. Once installed I couldn't go back to the original. There is definitely no soldering involved.

I was also using the Spanish video which (no offence to the poster) wasn't fantastic and made me a little bit worried about doing it all but the Thrustmaster instructions are very good. Its on this thread post 10:

http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/7035-t500rs-faulty-fan/

Take your time, theres no rush and just make sure its not plugged into power & your grounded just because it electronics.

If you need any help let me know.
Will do. Appreciate this! 👍

hi guys, I have an issue with my wheel.
I have the ferrari formula rim add on and while playing GT6 I accidentally hit the select button (the first of three metal switches from left to right on the bottom of the wheel). Now every time I start up the game it immediately goes into a black screen where I get the option to switch off the controller, turn off the console, or quit the game. None of the buttons work while in this screen. I have to turn on a separate controller to get into the game. Once in the game the wheel works fine except for the three metal switches (select button, ps button, and start button)

Any suggestions on how to fix this? I've tried unplugging and restarting but none seem to fix the issue.

Back