The Ugliest/Worst Colors on a Car

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 212 comments
I'm sure some people would like this color, but I find that it's just too much.... BMW's Snapper Rocks Blue.
dc5d6a42-bmw-abu-dhabi-snapper-blue-4gc-15.jpg

Really didn't like it in person when I saw it on someone's special ordered 435i Gran Coupe.
Honestly, I don't think that's a bad color on that BMW. My big issue is more with the wheels picked the compliment the color, silver just doesn't work. I could see this color working easily on the higher trim models with more aggressive bumpers and black wheels.

---
EDIT: The 1958 Plymouth Fury's actual factory color. I imagine most people think of the iconic red thanks to "Christine", but this was the real color used. I prefer the color Stephen King picked. God, this color choice is awful; Beige with a Gold Grill and Stripe? Really?!
1958-Plymouth-Fury.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure some people would like this color, but I find that it's just too much.... BMW's Snapper Rocks Blue.

Really didn't like it in person when I saw it on someone's special ordered 435i Gran Coupe.
Now THAT is a colour!

Still better than Sunstone Metallic...

2018032718144414-IMG_3834-X3.jpg

Not a big fan of it on the GCs but I LOVE it on the F90
ind-f90-m5-snapper-rocks-blue-rear-end.jpg

Honestly, I don't think that's a bad color on that BMW. My big issue is more with the wheels picked the compliment the color, silver just doesn't work. I could see this color working easily on the higher trim models with more aggressive bumpers and black wheels.

---
EDIT: The 1958 Plymouth Fury's actual factory color. I imagine most people think of the iconic red thanks to "Christine", but this was the real color used. I prefer the color Stephen King picked. God, this color choice is awful; Beige with a Gold Grill and Stripe? Really?!
1958-Plymouth-Fury.jpg
I think it looks OK, I the '56 Fury looks better with those colors:
7374ce21db65e97c6d33a68664cb9564.jpg
1956-plymouth-fury-hardtop-dave-koontz.jpg

I came out of the grocery store and one of those was parked next to my car; It's forgettable enough in these press pictures that have decent lighting, but on a cloudy overcast day like today it turns into literally baby poop brown. I should have snapped a picture.
lexus-es-350-17.jpg

Lexus-ES_350-2007-1600-09.jpg

I came out of the grocery store and one of those was parked next to my car; It's forgettable enough in these press pictures that have decent lighting, but on a cloudy overcast day like today it turns into literally baby poop brown. I should have snapped a picture.
lexus-es-350-17.jpg

It's one of those colors that looks unique in low lighting, but I don't think Toyota used it on anything else. It looks like 75% copper and 25% gold, but it's not at all helped that the ES 350 hasn't appeared happy in it's own skin since 2001.

Want a color that looks good in low light? Choose a color with a high metallic content or a highly-saturated color.

I see we're doing this thread again. Okay then:
c20f7ca46859c4bedb4996cea00f80a0.png

1970 Plymouth Cuda in Burnt Tan Metallic. Way to ruin such a beautiful classic muscle car.

BLVC15 "Bronze Yellow", perhaps best implemented on the 1275 GT...though that isn't saying much.

mini-cooper-1499-gt-16.jpg

It appeared on a wide array of BL cars from the late '60s until the early '80s. Included among those is the Morris Marina, and it's fortunate that high resolution images are scarce as it's a potent combination of ugly.

Really helping to make the X7 look like an also ran in design terms behind such luminaries as Hyundai and Kia. Heck, Ssangyong are getting better resolve these days than dreck like this.

I was helping a co-worker try to find a certified pre-owned F10 M5 for his dad. Looked on Cargurus and found this monstrosity. Austin Yellow on Sakhir Orange leather....
AT23374766-bl-o1.jpg

AT23374766-bl-o9.jpg

Doesn't have to be Nardo or Quantum gray specifically, as many cars are available in this shade now. Not expecting to find a lot of support here, as everyone else I've seen loses their minds in a good way over this color. I don't understand it, it looks like primer. I couldn't think of a worse color for a car.

j365xx7m9n611.jpg

Doesn't have to be Nardo or Quantum gray specifically, as many cars are available in this shade now. Not expecting to find a lot of support here, as everyone else I've seen loses their minds in a good way over this color. I don't understand it, it looks like primer. I couldn't think of a worse color for a car.

I'm so sick of seeing Audi RS3's in Nardo grey. I always wondered, why can't people have some imagination when buying these things, you all pick the exact same colour.
Granted the colour options for the RS3 aren't exactly diverse:
  • Nardo Grey
  • Daytona Grey
  • Floret Silver
  • Glacier White
  • Mythos Black
  • Panther Black
But there are two fantastic colours that this car comes in:
  • Catalunya Red
  • Ara Blue
The only explanation I can come up with for why more people don't order either of these colours is that they cost more than the price of the car or something ridiculous because I can't recall ever seeing an RS3 in either of these colours.

I have to agree, it definitely looks like primer. Probably one of the most boring colors on a car and I'm getting sick of seeing it myself.

The only explanation I can come up with for why more people don't order either of these colours is that they cost more than the price of the car or something ridiculous because I can't recall ever seeing an RS3 in either of these colours.
Another reason could be similar to why people buy boring, neutral colors in general. A lot of people think about resale value with a car and think a more interesting color will negatively affect it. Which unfortunately means manufactures will less likely use certain colors in the future since noone buys them.

Another reason could be similar to why people buy boring, neutral colors in general. A lot of people think about resale value with a car and think a more interesting color will negatively affect it. Which unfortunately means manufactures will less likely use certain colors in the future since no one buys them.

I could certainly understand that if the interesting colour was something abstract like green or purple or gold, but the two interesting colours for the RS3 are pretty standard shades of red and blue which I would hope are colours that improve resale value if anything. It's a shame that consumers have this attitude towards actual colours, soon Henry Ford will be correct "you can have your car in any colour as long as its black"

I could certainly understand that if the interesting colour was something abstract like green or purple or gold, but the two interesting colours for the RS3 are pretty standard shades of red and blue which I would hope are colours that improve resale value if anything. It's a shame that consumers have this attitude towards actual colours, soon Henry Ford will be correct "you can have your car in any colour as long as its black"
You're right about red and blue, I think they always been exceptions regarding colors and I agree that it's a shame that customers get so hard-set on resale value that they pick the most boring colors. It's what it is of course, this has been a thing for the past 2-3 decades. However, I don't think the interesting colors will ever go away forever. There will always be people that don't care about resale value and will just buy a color because they want to.

Latest Posts

Back