The YLOD Thread! What is it and how to avoid it when playing GT5.

• Thread starter FlareKR
  • 236 comments
I got one of the old CECHG03 models, and would be interested to know if this issue affects me, I do know if I hammer GT5 for around 5 hours I can hear my fan working overtime, but nothing has happened yet :/

I didn’t read the whole thread so I don't know if someone mentioned it before but if you encounter a YROD chances are good you can fix it (or at least for a while).
I've done this two times and had 100% success rate ;).
What you need:
- Screwdriver
- Heatgun (paint remover)
- Some good nerves.

The repair is quite simple. Open up your PS3 and get the mainboard out of it.
Lay the mainboard down on a flat surface. Plug in the heatgun and let it warm up. Heat the mainbord equally. After a while of heating the whole mainboard concentrate the heating on the RSX and the CELL. Don't mind the burned plastic smell.
After heating it for 10 to 15 minutes let it cool down for a hour or so.
Put the whole thing back together and you’re ready to go on.

Probably it would die again in the next few months. Then you could try the trick again, and again until reanimating the thing doesn't work anymore.

There are also some instruction videos on youtube about this.

Sorry, but people thinking a game damages their PS3 console are fools. The only thing, which causes YLOD or damage is wrong usage like too long playing (heating), age of the console or not fiting room climate.

Terrified of mine going now, and only had it for a year! Its the old slim which people are suggesting is less at risk, but don't want to take any chances. Seems like best solution is not to play for too long, or at least take a break mid session. I had it on last night whilst doing assignment work (B-Spec) from about 5pm to midnight, and my brother had been on it before then too.... Eek!

Sorry, but people thinking a game damages their PS3 console are fools. The only thing, which causes YLOD or damage is wrong usage like too long playing (heating), age of the console or not fiting room climate.

Did Sony tell you this?

Or, are you basing this on....your opinion.

good post OP.

but, it wouldn't work for me.

I can't play GT for only couple hours... just can't.

once I start, it's a marathon session. don't plan on it when I first fire it up but that's what it ends up being.
I just loose track of time.

play for a bit, low and behold, it's been 10 hours.

I'm sure my PS3 YLOD on me because I torture it so.
heck, first 6 months of it's life it was on 24/7 doing "fold at home" (you guys remember that? :))

but still, my fatty lasted almost 4 years of rigorous usage.

the problem, from what I read so far, is from the solder joints going cold.
use of tin solder instead of lead.

which leads me to believe, no matter what you do, at some point the old fatties are going to burn out at some point.
you could take it easy on it the whole time and one night, not knowing, your in middle of game play and your PS3 kicks into high gear and bam! YLOD.

for you fatty owners out there, enjoy your system and game.
hope it doesn't happen to you but if it does, don't be surprised.

even some Slims have reported YLOD.

Sony needs to address this issue better. Makes me think it's just from bad design. My almost 10 year old fatty PS2 is still going strong, and I torture the crap out of it.

all these YLOD shouldn't be happening. small percentage dying I understand but it really seems like big chunk of older models just die... in less then 4 years.

Or...a crappy solder job. The failure rate of 60 GB systems is much higher than some think. I'd say its closer to 20%. Its a design flaw, nothing more.

I have the 40 GB fat and it has yet to YLOD even though I play demanding games (GT5, Uncharted 2, etc) for hours on end sometimes.

The thing is, I never even knew the PS3 had such a loud fan until one day (years after I bought the PS3) I left the door on my TV stand closed while I was playing it. That's the only time I've ever heard the fan turn on.

Now, my question is: for anyone who has experienced the YLOD, was your fan running at full speed? It's VERY loud and noticeable, which is surprising considering how quiet the PS3 runs even while playing GT5 (for me at least).

Last edited:
Here is a far out silly idea that won't work...

I noticed that lots of the Premium cars have a display for temperature in the cockpit -Would be awesome if PD could make it show the PS3 temperature (like you can on a normal PC) - then you need a threshold to know when to stop driving/playing :-D

After a but on the graphics chip and the PS3 fans running wild i decided to take the plunge on the eletrical bill and always leave a fan running next to the PS3 while i´m playing.

I´ve never had issues with other games, but for some reason GT5 gets the console hotter than it should be.

Back in 2006 people went on and on that the PS3 was a rock that wouldn´t die, but the reality is that those 60gb models need extra care if you don´t want to see a YLOD. I´ve seen it with a friend, and it´s specially harder if you live in countries that require you to use a voltage converter (110v system working on Brazil´s 220v voltage).

Use a fan, it´s cheaper than buying a new PS3.

I have left my PS3 slim on for days at a time and it is not any hotter after 48 hours than it is after 2 hours.

With many electronic components the real culprit is letting them heat up then turn them off to cool and then turn them back on again. Once a tempature is reached it is generally maintained while the system is in use and is less likely to cause a problem. I have PC components that have been running for months or maybe even years without being turned off except during long power outages. They are battery backup protected so if power goes out for 10-30 minutes they stay on. Longer than that they shut down but I have yet to have any heat related issues with any of them. Pcs on the other hand that I have turned on and off often do not seem to last as long as the ones that run constantly.

Either you're unlucky or you weren't paying attention. You have two options. One, you can take the red pill and send it to Sony, of course that'll cost you $150 and you're memory is gone for good (unless you were smart enough to transfer it to another HDD before it blew over, or switch it with another HDD before you send it 💡)
There are people on eBay who fix it. Again, that's if you trust the internet.
Buy a new one, the most arrogant and un-helping answer I can give.
The third option is to find a store that can fix it for you for around $50. That's what I did when I got the YLOD just a few months ago. I paid the guy at the store $50 to fix my PS3 in about 40 minutes. I didn't lose anything from my hard drive either.

Side note: The store even had a leather couch and a TV to watch while waiting.

I have the 40 GB fat and it has yet to YLOD even though I play demanding games (GT5, Uncharted 2, etc) for hours on end sometimes.

The thing is, I never even knew the PS3 had such a loud fan until one day (years after I bought the PS3) I left the door on my TV stand closed while I was playing it. That's the only time I've ever heard the fan turn on.

Now, my question is: for anyone who has experienced the YLOD, was your fan running at full speed? It's VERY loud and noticeable, which is surprising considering how quiet the PS3 runs even while playing GT5 (for me at least).

My 40gb fat had ylod a few months ago and yes the fans were kicking in more previously. But once i had took it apart i could see why as it was full and i mean full of dust. It was my own doing as i hadnt cleaned it of dust in almost 3 years of ownership :banghead:.

"-EAT
-EXERCISE
-PERFORM BOWEL MOVEMENTS
-WORK ON YOUR REAL CAR
-HOMEWORK
-PUT THE KIDS TO BED
-TALK TO CREATURES ON TWO LEGS WITH TWO ARMS AND A HEAD, WHICH COULD BE OTHER HUMAN BEINGS"

Caps were 120% necessary to accomplish the end result of me laughing my ass off.

I found this thread kind of funny. Short of keeping the vents clear and preventing a build up of heat around the system the rest just sounds like speculation.

My 60GB got YLOD after 3.5 years of letting it run for very extended time periods, and only in the last year did I begin turning it off regularly. When YLOD hit me it did it 15 minutes after the system was turned on while playing Planet Mini Golf (PSN game)and the system and vents were still cool to the touch. Those circumstances go against most things people are guessing about what causes it. I repeat, I had a cold system, using minimal hardware components, get the YLOD.

The fact is, in the solder issue gaming consoles are still classified as toys and all toys are banned from containing lead. We had a couple of Chinese made toys with lead paint scares a few years back and regulators over-reacted in a knee-jerk reaction, as usual. Blame Congress as much as anyone for YLOD or RROD. The original cooling fans could have been better, but shouldn't have had to.

The reason newer systems are less likely to get it is because they are using smaller chipsets, which require less energy, thus produce less heat.
http://www.geek.com/articles/games/...is-more-reliable-uses-15-less-power-20100426/

And of the discussions about fixes, I am amazed they are only heating one side of the chips/motherboard. I did one side, let it cool, then did the other side and let it cool. I've also seen zero discussion about replacing the dried and cracking thermal paste. Replacing the thermal paste aids in proper heat sink contact and heat transfer to the cooling system is made more efficient, making it more likely that your fix will last longer.

EDIT: And if you are looking for a fan to help cool your PS3 I suggest a USB powered fan. It plugs into your PS3's USB port and comes on when it is on and turns off when it is off. Once you get it setup you never touch it again.

has anyone tried re-soldering any cracked connections if/when this happens?

Also, I've played GT5 for hours and have never had the secondary kick on like it will with Madden or some other games.

Also, I've played GT5 for hours and have never had the secondary kick on like it will with Madden or some other games.
A Re-balling would require some expertise that I am nowhere near having. The connections are teeny tiny. Paying someone to do it may work, but make sure they are good.

reballing with lead would be the most ideal fix from the sound of things.

I found couple places that does it.

knights gaming repair. if you google, you'll find it.
not sure how good they are but from the website and vids, they look legit.
costs about 2 bills it looks like.
and they state they use lead solder.

gophermods also has this service listed but it's listed as "coming very soon".
about $140.
doesn't say if they use lead or tin.

I'm tempted to send in my unit for reballing.
Love having BC. play GT5 one minute, then GT4 the other.

For those of you more willing to take a gamble on your PS3 without using outside hardware, there is one trick I noticed that I'm sure many people overlooked (which for the longest time, I had too) - the position of the PS3.

When you feel around your PS3, without opening it and after it's been running for a while and hot, you'll notice the following. The front vent (next to the USB ports, below the Blu-Ray drive) will be cool to the touch. If you really wait and feel, you may even notice a breeze. Having never opened my PS3 up, I can fairly safely guess that this is the intake for fresh air. KEEP THIS EXPOSED unless you're using a USB fan, which should be the only thing there.

On the right side of your PS3, the whole face is an open vent. This is where the majority of the hot air can be felt. Keep this exposed also, obviously. The left side, in contrast, is solid. That's where you plug in a new Hard Drive as well.

The back side also has several vents. I'm sure most people who just throw the console together and start playing will, by force of habit, push this as far against a wall as possible. This is probably where the majority of overheating problems occur, as by doing so, you effectively cut the heat dissipating abilities of the PS3 in half. Rather than pushing the back of the console against the wall, turn the console 90-degrees Clockwise, so that the solid face is against the wall instead. This way, all 3 open vents are exposed to fresh air.

I doubt Sony was stupid in this regard. They wouldn't intentionally use shoddy materials if they didn't think the system could handle it. Truth is the system can handle it - the user can't. I have one of the original PHAT 80GB PS3s (I'm fairly sure it's 80GB anyways - I haven't actually double checked that in ages). Never had a YLOD. Course, for the longest time, I supplemented my air supply with a $10 K-Mart desk fan. Would still be using it if the bearings on it weren't shot and would be an unbearable squeal each time it was used. The other advantage of the desk fan would be that when you're done with the PS3, you can turn around and use the fan to cool yourself!

I have to say,what aload of cr*p,saying dont play gt5 for more than 3 hours.What is different than GT5 than any other ps 3 game? I have the first ps3,and i notice no difference to the machine running when i play any game,irrespective of the length of time i am on it

Just an FYI there are different SKUs of the 80GB PS3 i.e. they're not all the same. The most recent ones circa August 2008 are supposed use the 65nm RSX GPUs, while the older PS3s with software backwards compatibility runs with the 90nm RSX.

I didn’t read the whole thread so I don't know if someone mentioned it before but if you encounter a YROD chances are good you can fix it (or at least for a while).
I've done this two times and had 100% success rate ;).
What you need:
- Screwdriver
- Heatgun (paint remover)
- Some good nerves.

The repair is quite simple. Open up your PS3 and get the mainboard out of it.
Lay the mainboard down on a flat surface. Plug in the heatgun and let it warm up. Heat the mainbord equally. After a while of heating the whole mainboard concentrate the heating on the RSX and the CELL. Don't mind the burned plastic smell.
After heating it for 10 to 15 minutes let it cool down for a hour or so.
Put the whole thing back together and you’re ready to go on.

Probably it would die again in the next few months. Then you could try the trick again, and again until reanimating the thing doesn't work anymore.

There are also some instruction videos on youtube about this.

I was going to suggest something like this as well, I have not seen the inside of a PS3, but I was fixing similar issues with electronics when I was 10. Solder joints were much bigger then, so I used a solder gun.

I'm still occasionally fixing stuff this way, I even repaired a TV that someone dropped and cracked the main board. I epoxied the board back together, scraped and soldered all the traces together, and it worked for many years after.

My 60GB launch PS3 failed the first day I played GT5. My ps3 showed no prior signs of malfunctioning. I played for about 4 hours and system orientation was horizontal. YLOD'd (blinking red light of death).

Sony repair service for US is about $150 USD after tax to repair your original PS3. They also offer a reconditioned Slim for $99, but mine had an upgraded HD and a stuck disc. Not an option.

The Sony service center in El Paso TX seems to have a quick turnaround. Hopefully they return my stuck GT5 disc and don't reformat my HD...

I posted a similar thread last week but was promptly shut down by the mods... :/ Thanks for bringing this topic up as I suspect heavier taxing on the graphics processor is to blame. We might be able to prevent or delay ps3 failures by limiting gameplay and changing system orientation to vertical. Regardless I highly recommend ALL users back up their gameplay data. Given enough time failure in all electronic devices is inevitable.

Last edited:
Just updated the post again. Hopefully we can keep this up so we can keep less people from getting the YLOD and losing their GT5 data (it's not fun at all to lose GT data, happened to my 99% GT4 data).

For those of you more willing to take a gamble on your PS3 without using outside hardware, there is one trick I noticed that I'm sure many people overlooked (which for the longest time, I had too) - the position of the PS3.

When you feel around your PS3, without opening it and after it's been running for a while and hot, you'll notice the following. The front vent (next to the USB ports, below the Blu-Ray drive) will be cool to the touch. If you really wait and feel, you may even notice a breeze. Having never opened my PS3 up, I can fairly safely guess that this is the intake for fresh air. KEEP THIS EXPOSED unless you're using a USB fan, which should be the only thing there.

On the right side of your PS3, the whole face is an open vent. This is where the majority of the hot air can be felt. Keep this exposed also, obviously. The left side, in contrast, is solid. That's where you plug in a new Hard Drive as well.

The back side also has several vents. I'm sure most people who just throw the console together and start playing will, by force of habit, push this as far against a wall as possible. This is probably where the majority of overheating problems occur, as by doing so, you effectively cut the heat dissipating abilities of the PS3 in half. Rather than pushing the back of the console against the wall, turn the console 90-degrees Clockwise, so that the solid face is against the wall instead. This way, all 3 open vents are exposed to fresh air.

I doubt Sony was stupid in this regard. They wouldn't intentionally use shoddy materials if they didn't think the system could handle it. Truth is the system can handle it - the user can't. I have one of the original PHAT 80GB PS3s (I'm fairly sure it's 80GB anyways - I haven't actually double checked that in ages). Never had a YLOD. Course, for the longest time, I supplemented my air supply with a $10 K-Mart desk fan. Would still be using it if the bearings on it weren't shot and would be an unbearable squeal each time it was used. The other advantage of the desk fan would be that when you're done with the PS3, you can turn around and use the fan to cool yourself!

Another thing I should add is the position of your PS3. I put mine's right side up, away from the walls, with about a foot of space between the side right vents (which to me is the top) and the bar table coming out from the wall. It breathes a lot easier than it did when it was longitudinally positioned.

They wouldn't intentionally use shoddy materials if they didn't think the system could handle it.
It has been argued by some that Sony did just this with the 15-blade fans that they started putting in the system a few weeks after launch. I'm not sure of the validity of how much of an effect that it had, but they certainly didn't work as well as the original ones in the earliest systems.

The only thing, which causes YLOD or damage is wrong usage like too long playing (heating)
If your system breaks because you had it on for an extended period of time, that isn't "wrong usage." That is a flaw in the hardware.

I have to say,what aload of cr*p,saying dont play gt5 for more than 3 hours.What is different than GT5 than any other ps 3 game? I have the first ps3,and i notice no difference to the machine running when i play any game,irrespective of the length of time i am on it
Certain games tax the machine at different amounts. A taxing game by itself won't do anything to a properly functioning console. But a taxing game on a malfunctioning console can easily be enough to break something. Look up "Bioshocked" for a good example if you have some free time and want a good laugh.

Sony repair service for US is about $150 USD after tax to repair your original PS3. They also offer a reconditioned Slim for $99, but mine had an upgraded HD and a stuck disc. Not an option.

The Sony service center in El Paso TX seems to have a quick turnaround. Hopefully they return my stuck GT5 disc and don't reformat my HD...

from what everyone is saying you'll most likely get a refurbed fatty unit, not your original fatty.

if you haven't backed up your files, it will be gone, as it will be a different unit.

hopefully I'm wrong but that's been the recorded case most of the time.

Tip, the more you turn it on and off, the faster it will kill itself.

The mirco fractures in the solder are caused by expansion and retraction when the unit is turned on and off.

It is the same with the Xbox 360 actually.

How to avoid? leave it on. Hell, I have a launch 360 and it has never R.R.O.D'd... Granted when the DVD drive died it's heat sinks were replaced with the new design ones.

Not sure if it's been asked already, but is it possible to recover backed up files from a hard drive partition?

I have a 500GB hard drive, and I only want to back up my 60GB PS3 on a Fat32 partition on the hard drive, with the rest being usable for the usual computer stuff. I'm just going to partition it with GParted, and I was wondering if recovery could work this way.

Back