Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,569 comments
I'm away again until next week so can't look on the console. How does the Nordschleife one work? Sounds like you get a certificate if you get below 7:44.881? Are there still bronze, silver and gold awards for 10%, 5% and 3%?

IMG-20230929-WA0018.jpg

Have at that! What a beautiful combination. That Civic is a dream to drive around the Nords.

I wish more TTs had an 'extra' goal like this. Gold was easy, but that 6:44 was the PERFECT value for a challenge - it wasn't too easy, but not hard enough to make it feel impossible. It always felt achievable to me, and thus was the perfect goal to strive towards.
Really enjoyed it. Reminded me of the Lewis Hamilton TT's and their diamond awards.

The one at Suzuka seems a bit too hard for me, chuck another 6 or 7 tenths onto that time and I think it's similar enough in difficulty but I'm absolutely not pulling off a 23.1.

Afternoon fellas!

IMG_2874.jpeg

Quick day out at the ‘ring (how topical!), yeah it’s a lot of fun this but again the tyre modelling lets the whole package down; one slightly too hot entry into a corner and that’s your lap ruined 🤦🏻‍♂️ still a lot of fun, it’s going to be a struggle to get below 7:44.whatever but it’ll be fun trying!!

Speaking of the ‘ring! I’m off chaps! I’m taking my PlayStation in case weather stops play so I might do a few laps on the controller if that happens 🤓 M3 is ready to bounce; Tchüss!!

IMG_2872.jpeg

I'm away again until next week so can't look on the console. How does the Nordschleife one work? Sounds like you get a certificate if you get below 7:44.881? Are there still bronze, silver and gold awards for 10%, 5% and 3%?
Yes:

Additionally there’s two new Time Trial events available in Sport Mode — although you won’t need a PS Plus subscription to take part — for the new Honda Civic Type R as part of Honda’s first ever esports event.

These consist of time attacks at the Nurburgring Nordschleife and Suzuka, and although there’s technically an age barrier you can in fact enter both — if you don’t tell the truth on the entry form (which is something we cannot encourage!).

Each takes the usual format of a GT7 Time Trial event, with up to two million credits available if you set a fast enough time when the event closes at the end of October. However this is a moving target, set at no more than 3% slower than the current world record — with lesser prizes for being within 5% or 10%.

Should you beat the real-world time set by the Honda Civic Type R at the circuit, you’ll also receive a certificate from Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Now I'm not the best driver in the world but road cars at Nordschleife is my specialty. Every since GT5 I pretty much drove at least 1 lap of the Nords every day (that's 13 years give or take a few months for holidays). Also back in GT5 there was a trophy for matching the Nissan GT-R's lap record. Took a few tries but it's pretty doable (and I'm a much better driver now than back then). The M6 Circuit Experience? Gold in 1 lap.

Currently in the Civic I'm at 7.47 ish, about 3 seconds off the real record (2% off the world record in-game), and safe to say I don't think I'll make it because the in-game car is slower than the real one.

The real car has a few weight reduction mods. But add in the GoPro and safety equipment and it's probably about equal. Also the in-game car can magically run without fuel, so that balances things out as well.

The MAIN difference is the tyres. The record car is running grippier Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 instead of Pilot Sport 4S. Cup 2 is probably more equivalent to SM tyres than the SH the stock car comes with, and on a track like the Nords it easily explains the 3-4 seconds difference.

Next is downforce. The FK8 Civic in game has 30/50 downforce while the FL5 has 65/160. That is a huge increase considering the FL5 has less aggressive aero than the FK8. I'm expecting a 10-20 points increase, not 2-3x. Also the rear downforce is too much now, which creates even more understeer which is bad for FF cars. But I think the extra understeer is balanced by the slightly higher corner speeds.

The in-game description also says the Civic comes with Adaptive Damping System, which is probably not simulated in the game as PD's physics engine struggles with any sort of active chassis electronics. Makes a huge difference when you're trying to put 300+ HP down using the front wheels on a bumpy circuit.

Lastly, wind direction. You're facing a stiff headwind coming onto the Dottinger. Compare your top speed in-game to the real lap on youtube and you're easily down 10 km/h at the end of the straight (remember you're also carrying more downforce/drag than real life). Probably worth another 1 and a bit seconds.

It's a fun TT but I think the difficulty is artificially inflated by these discrepancies. If you manage to get within 4-5 seconds off the real time give yourself a pat in the back. You basically beat the real record already 👍 Of course, the top aliens will be faster than the real record. But this is always the case because they have no fear, have unlimited retries and can take liberties with track limits and kerbs.

I suspect similar discrepancies exist for the Suzuka TT. I only did 2 laps but I think my limit is around +1 off the real record. SM tyres and headwind all the way down both straights can explain it.

Last edited:
Now I'm not the best driver in the world but road cars at Nordschleife is my specialty. Every since GT5 I pretty much drove at least 1 lap of the Nords every day (that's 13 years give or take a few months for holidays). Also back in GT5 there was a trophy for matching the Nissan GT-R's lap record. Took a few tries but it's pretty doable (and I'm a much better driver now than back then). The M6 Circuit Experience? Gold in 1 lap.

Currently in the Civic I'm at 7.47 ish, about 3 seconds off the real record (2% off the world record in-game), and safe to say I don't think I'll make it because the in-game car is slower than the real one.

The real car has a few weight reduction mods. But add in the GoPro and safety equipment and it's probably about equal. Also the in-game car can magically run without fuel, so that balances things out as well.

The MAIN difference is the tyres. The record car is running grippier Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 instead of Pilot Sport 4S. Cup 2 is probably more equivalent to SM tyres than the SH the stock car comes with, and on a track like the Nords it easily explains the 3-4 seconds difference.

Next is downforce. The FK8 Civic in game has 30/50 downforce while the FL5 has 65/160. That is a huge increase considering the FL5 has less aggressive aero than the FK8. I'm expecting a 10-20 points increase, not 2-3x. Also the rear downforce is too much now, which creates even more understeer which is bad for FF cars. But I think the extra understeer is balanced by the slightly higher corner speeds.

The in-game description also says the Civic comes with Adaptive Damping System, which is probably not simulated in the game as PD's physics engine struggles with any sort of active chassis electronics. Makes a huge difference when you're trying to put 300+ HP down using the front wheels on a bumpy circuit.

Lastly, wind direction. You're facing a stiff headwind coming onto the Dottinger. Compare your top speed in-game to the real lap on youtube and you're easily down 10 km/h at the end of the straight (remember you're also carrying more downforce/drag than real life). Probably worth another 1 and a bit seconds.

It's a fun TT but I think the difficulty is artificially inflated by these discrepancies. If you manage to get within 4-5 seconds off the real time give yourself a pat in the back. You basically beat the real record already 👍

I suspect similar discrepancies exist for the Suzuka TT. I'm about 1.5 second off the real record. SM tyres and headwind all the way down both straights can explain it.
I've never seen such a long list of excuses for a skill issue.

A quick question Mates.........

Why am I not able to view the replay times of the top players? I only get the option to either view profile or load ghost. Is there some setting I need to switch on OR do I need to save the replay of my best time in order to get to see others best lap replays?
Get out of the tt and before choosing the car you go to the ranking board !

I've never seen such a long list of excuses for a skill issue.
You still mad cos I give you such a hard time for parking at Suzuka Manu race? :lol:

I know where my limit is in relation to real world laptimes. There is definitely a skill issue, but also a few legit technical issues in this case. Or are you saying the real world GT-R test driver from 2010 has a skill issue as well cos I could beat him (relatively) easier in GT5?

Or why, a certain Mercedes F1 7x champion can be beaten by several seconds in GT Sport? I guess he has a skill issue as well then.

GT is a pretty good sim but there are still discrepancies. Some cars are slower, some are faster. Hell go take a stock McLaren F1 to SSRX and tell me if you can reach the real life top speed. If PD can't even get something basic as top speed right, how can you be so sure the specs of every other car are correct? And it's especially well known record cars IRL can have extra performance enhancements compared to stock dealer cars. Even Ferrari used to bring mechanics to group tests so they come out on top (but don't believe me, just ask Chris Harris).

Last edited:
Afternoon fellas!

View attachment 1290941
Quick day out at the ‘ring (how topical!), yeah it’s a lot of fun this but again the tyre modelling lets the whole package down; one slightly too hot entry into a corner and that’s your lap ruined 🤦🏻‍♂️ still a lot of fun, it’s going to be a struggle to get below 7:44.whatever but it’ll be fun trying!!

Speaking of the ‘ring! I’m off chaps! I’m taking my PlayStation in case weather stops play so I might do a few laps on the controller if that happens 🤓 M3 is ready to bounce; Tchüss!!

View attachment 1290942
You've got us all beat for smiles per gallon (or litre, for you rest of the world folk). I'm not a jealous guy at all but I would very much enjoy a few laps at the Ring with that thing.

You still mad cos I give you such a hard time for parking at Suzuka Manu race? :lol:

I know where my limit is in relation to real world laptimes. There is definitely a skill issue, but also a few legit technical issues in this case. Or are you saying the real world GT-R test driver from 2010 has a skill issue as well cos I could beat him easily? :lol:

Or why, a certain Mercedes F1 7x champion can be beaten by several seconds in GT Sport? I guess he has a skill issue as well then.
No, I don't even remember us having an interaction. Don't give yourself too much credit.

I didn't see either of those other people writing a massive list of reasons they can't get under 10 seconds from the in-game world record. There's nothing wrong with that though, it's a hard target to beat and not everyone is cut out for it without practice.

I am in both with the same account.
The questionnaire that popped up was an annoyance, the first time ('ring) I answered properly, but the 2nd time it came up (for Suzuka) I just clicked randomly on the answers including the age thing because I was quite annoyed. Now I am accidently in the Under 17 year old category - when I can barely remember being that sort of age. Ooops.
Same

Oh boy, two of my favorite tracks featured in the current TTs with Tsukuba and Nordschleife. Did a few benchmark laps yesterday. Was hoping to be quicker around the ring, but I really need to push to even get close to the RL record of 7:44. Sitting at 49 right now and I'm not sure if squeezing out those 5 seconds is in the realm of my possibilities, let alone thinking of scratchnig 40. Kinda odd how 12+ seconds on the WR not only gets you gold, but had me sitting in the top 500 for a brief moment. Expecting Tsukuba WR to drop below 1 minute (if it hasn't already), so definitely will need to improve here, too.

Gran Turismo™ 7_20230928233415.png
Gran Turismo™ 7_20230928220758.png

Second session at DTS a few days back: switched from the GT500 Supra to the A90 resulting in instantly quicker laps and improved silver to gold. After around 13 times crashing CoD it sorta clicked and I started driving the whole entry to the chicane like a long corner, connecting the curbs on the left hand side in one long swoop without concentrating on the right wall. If the car is kept stable throughout and relatively straight on the curbs the chicane really opens up. Also I noticed when I looked through the walls, imagining where the track would be, it's easier for me to follow a clean race line. Quite happy with my current lap time.

DTS is definitely not my favorite track. Although I like the layout and flow quite a bit and really don't mind the CoD that much, the curbs are the worst!!! Roughest in game... so many crashes where the car got shot to the moon.

Gran Turismo™ 7_20230928005835.png

Last edited:
Well, guys; my time in this thread, al least with regularity, has come to an end :guilty: Like I said last time I played TT just for the money and since I have all the cars, including the last 3 arrived this week, I reached the money cap :rolleyes: It was still a pleasure sharing my times with you all, alongside saying lots of "profanities" against the aliens everytime they decided that "that awesome time can be improved more, like half a second" :lol:

It's not an Adieu, just a See you soon ;) I will now procede to unfollow this thread :(
Why not buy more of the same cars? I buy 2 or 3 of each cars I like, 2 for 1 wide body and the 3rd for a engine swap, like my 3 Ford Roadsters, waiting for The Judge, Charger R/T, Shelby GT350R '65 to reappear so I can buy 1 extra of each to wide body them and maybe a 3rd for engine swaps, changing parts, wheels and paints takes a lot of credits, so I'm constantly on 10-15 mill Credits, even with silver on most of the TT's (3 Gold, 17 Silver and 5 Bronze so far).

Last edited:
Had bettered my lap to a 7:55:xxx today morning using the A/T which I've always done since GT4 days. But for the past few TTs, my best time has come using M/T. I've realised M/T provides better & more rigid control of the car when compared to A/T mode. Even when engine braking (downshifting) is more effective in M/T which assists the car in stopping much quicker to a car in the A/T mode.

Driving around this legendary track is a privilege (even if in a Gran Turismo game). I doubt if there is any GT series fan that doesn't like or love this track.

BTW, after seeing the top ranked player's replay & kind of studying his driving prowess around the track and using the M/T mode, I was able to shave off about 3 seconds. I'm a pretty average driver but given the right car + tyres I'd do much better at the Nurburgring than at Tsukuba!

20230929_192008.jpg

Last edited:
There is only an U17 class for that event (even though the game still lets you sign up). The adults are supposed to drive the Ring.
Cheers, I thought I messed up something but actually just seen it's an u17 class.

One more (stupid) question, but how do I claim my award? Or am I only getting it after the event ends, in 30 days? (new to this mode in gt7)

Gold times are over apparently...

Tsu&Drag-almost.jpg

On Dragon Trail I checked Ferrari, Nissan, McLaren and Porsche of which the latter seems most promising, but I'm fighting there for tenths when I expect I would need a second to be safe. And the chicane - completely luck based for me, no consistency whatsoever.

Tsukuba is something I'm very unlikely to improve on. Not with AT and no partial throttle control - it just won't turn. As @zjn very accurately noticed, the steering disconnects when under full gas.

I may revisit both TTs again, but without high hopes for the moment.

As much as I love Nordshleife (very envious of @Dan_Tes for going there irl, have fun!) and adore the classic HRC livery on the car, gold around that track might prove to be slightly above my paygrade - that ofcourse won't stop me from running it over and over at least until my frustration boils over my excitement.

Why not buy more of the same cars? I buy 2 or 3 of each cars I like, 2 for 1 wide body and the 3rd for a engine swap, like my 3 Ford Roadsters, waiting for The Judge, Charger R/T, Shelby GT350R '65 to reappear so I can buy 1 extra of each to wide body them and maybe a 3rd for engine swaps, changing parts, wheels and paints takes a lot of credits, so I'm constantly on 10-15 mill Credits, even with silver on most of the TT's (3 Gold, 17 Silver and 5 Bronze so far).
I did that too, don't worry :lol: Recently I made my engine swapped Delorean, just for fun :D It was a rocket on SSRX :dopey:

I did that too, don't worry :lol: Recently I made my engine swapped Delorean, just for fun :D It was a rocket on SSRX :dopey:
Good, what I would do next then was to buy 20 mill cars, sell them with loss until I would be down to 50 mill, so I could continue to enjoy TT's. ;)

Last edited:
Y'all rich. I've never had more than $13 Million. Most expensive car I owned was given to me, my beloved Porsche 1970(or '71?) 917K. I won it some Porsche time trial. However, I accidentally sold it when I was selling some of my cars to downsize. I meant to the my M4, which was right above the 917K, and I clicked on the wrong one. R.I.P my Porsche 917K. I had it for 3 weeks and had 600 miles on it.

BTW in the time trial I also got a 959 and a 911 RSR, but only about 4,000 people did it.

Just looked it up, it's a 1970.

Last edited:
Good, what I would do next then was to buy 20 mill cars, sell them with loss until I would be down to 50 mill, so I could continue to enjoy TT's. ;)
:lol:

Can I be sincere ? I'm just tired of play this game :rolleyes: After one and a half year of uninterrupted playtime, I need something fresh to play, and I think this is right time to stop :) I just bought EA FC 24 and this is only the 1st step :cool:

Because I, who started playing with ps1 and Colin McRae Rally 1, am starting to listening World Rally Car sounds in the distance...........one month to go :sly:

Back