Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 33,159 comments
zjn
I've been doing something similar. I have different graph the on XLS (%position in the overall leaderbord, %delta time againstWR among those) and I'm working on a trend that should answer the question "Am I improving over the long run?".
It takes into a weighed consideration PersonalBest, Ideal, Overall ranking, Laps to reach the PB.
What I would basically like to see coming from this trend is "how easy" a reached a certain result and the fact that the given "certain result" is slowly improving.
Example: one year ago my typical TT of average difficulty started in bronze to slowly progress into safe silver. Now i start in dangerous silver to reach maybe 103,5% and it takes me less KM to do it.
The formula is still not as good as I like. May be the weight, may be the terms, who knows...

View attachment 1332010
Very interesting. I personally lack the discipline (read: I am too lazy) to collect all that data manually, so my only input is what GT7's APIs give me, and that's only the fastest lap per player. FWIW, your overall trajectory according to my data does not look too dissimilar from yours even without factoring in all these other data points you're using.

1709031409093.png

Very interesting. I personally lack the discipline (read: I am too lazy) to collect all that data manually, so my only input is what GT7's APIs give me, and that's only the fastest lap per player. FWIW, your overall trajectory according to my data does not look too dissimilar from yours even without factoring in all these other data points you're using.

View attachment 1332028
You are truelly fascinating... I'm so far from this world of data that I should probably need many days of explanation before starting to understand how to read it and then, many days to understand how to use it... This is definitly not my world but hats off to you @crome :)

If the pursuit of perfection is the task there are many studies lately that confirm we have the capacity for much much more than our normal day to day... I know I come at this from a different angle than probably most of you all, but this guy did absolute perfection while as distracted as he could possibly be. I cannot imagine what was in his head on this day in history. If you have never seen this, you should take the few minutes and check it out. It's hilarious and for me very very interesting.

Was the answer wine!?
hahaaha... almost.. check Kimi, the one and only legend :D

“With Kimi it was different. He’d just sleep! Sometimes I’d have to go and shake him in the early days at McLaren because he’d be asleep in the back of a truck or in the motorhome! That's just how he dealt with it and it’s different for everyone. A lot of drivers listen to music, a lot do the visualisation stuff. With Sebastian, we developed a specific kind of warm up, some of the reaction time stuff and a set nutritional plan in the run up to getting in the car.

"When Sebastian was at Red Bull I was at Ferrari, and I used to see him in the car before qualifying from the garage, his eyes closed, visualising his perfect lap. When he opened his eyes afterwards the focus was unbelievable. He was completely dialled in.”

You are truelly fascinating... I'm so far from this world of data that I should probably need many days of explanation before starting to understand how to read it and then, many days to understand how to use it... This is definitly not my world but hats off to you @crome :)
Thanks a lot. But my goal was actually to make it understandable :D ... so ignore all of the talk about percentiles and stuff, and just look at the black line. If this is declining from left to right, you're getting faster. And if it hits the x-axis, you're @EbrahimX7 ;)

Here's yours:
1709036865546.png

I'd say ever since you rejoined at TT 54, you're on a pretty good roll 👏

Thanks a lot. But my goal was actually to make it understandable :D ... so ignore all of the talk about percentiles and stuff, and just look at the black line. If this is declining from left to right, you're getting faster. And if it hits the x-axis, you're @EbrahimX7 ;)

Here's yours:
View attachment 1332040
I'd say ever since you rejoined at TT 54, you're on a pretty good roll 👏
Ohh ok, got it :) Vielen Dank !! You made it very understable but I'm very slow when it's about maths, data, etc...

I guess, "65" is Mount Paranormal.
The others points are "almost" clear but as you said, I don't really need to understand everything.
The trend is positive, it's the main point :)

Merci @crome :cheers:

Last edited:
it eliminates any form of play and noise between the pieces. To eliminate the play at the steering wheel that the QR1 had, and to prevent the connection strands from twisting or breaking because of the play on the base shaft
I wish you good luck! My QR1 was fine and the change for QR2 got me more trouble in two months than the old one in two years. The baseside shaft did get loose and ruined two sessions untill I found and fixed the problem... (knocking on wood) Recently it all worked well and I can enjoy the DD Pro (8nm).

... and I can enjoy the DD Pro (8nm).
Since you brought up, I still haven't seen anybody answer this definitively, maybe you can: if I set the max torque in game to anything less than 10 on my 5nm DD Pro (I currently have it at 7), would I even benefit from the 8nm? I read that it provides finer details, but is this only available at the cost of higher peak torque? For me, max torque (10) on the 5nm is already too much to handle, at least for some cars.

Max torque just helps the fidelity. You don't have to use all the strength of the FFB to benefit from a stronger wheelbase. I run my 8nm low. I don't remember the setting but compared to a lot of people I don't use great force but with more force available it allows for more feeling and range of feedback.

Since you brought up, I still haven't seen anybody answer this definitively, maybe you can: if I set the max torque in game to anything less than 10 on my 5nm DD Pro (I currently have it at 7), would I even benefit from the 8nm? I read that it provides finer details, but is this only available at the cost of higher peak torque? For me, max torque (10) on the 5nm is already too much to handle, at least for some cars.
For me it depends on the game: full force at GT7 and less ffb at ACC for example. That's not different to my CSL Elite before (6nm).

I adjust the settings mostly in the game and not at the wheelbase as there are only 5 presets and too many racing games... So, "World of Outlaws" fells good with my GT7-preset!

As you write it is about peak torque and more should bring a wider dynamic range. I myself got a different feeling compared to the belt-driven wheelbase. A difference between 5 and 8 nm has not been tested so far.

Very satisfying sessions today with Road Runner on Grand Valley.

No improvement on my PB but I've nicely improved my previous optimal with an excellent 1:19.25x and mostly a very promissing 1:19.186 :embarrassed: (sectors 1 and 3 were my best on that lap but I have butchered that damned 2nd sector... 21.958... :irked:).

Still few days to improve my PB and my ranking and I'll do my best to grab these tenths. And if I don't improve, it's not important because I'm having fun with that combo and - sorry for the data scientists in that thread :dopey: - that's the most important for me.

ATTACK!!

Only had about 30 minutes to hit the dragon yesterday after a long day at work. Managed to drag my time down .2 so i think it's a safe gold now and i will probably leave it at that.

Gonna spen the week racing Bathurst i think, and then the ford tt on the weekend.

Keep pushing folks......

Step by step
hangin tough new kids on the block GIF

100% improvement - now I get decent run through salami chicane 2 times out of 10!
TT-DragonGardensRev-almost2.jpg

Another 200 kms in.
I seem to slowly figure out most of the corners from the start, but this chicane (or to lesser extent the final corner) kill me almost everytime. It's almost like a lottery for me.
Frustration is close to zero, the fun part begins - crunching the final stretch tomorrow!

And I tested 0 kms for Nations Cup, that's going to be fun as well.

It was really hard to follow the thread for me for the last four weeks, but I managed to keep on track. Those late likes for your posts were probably mine while catching up. :D Due to less time for driving, going all the way back to the LM Civic, I was not able to keep on track regarding lap times on some challenges. Had some solid optimums around BH in Gr.3, but did not get it together within one lap and right now I'm a bit struggling with that little Roadster, it won't let me down to 18.x.:grumpy: Evo 2 is quite ok, hope to find .1 or .2 till the end.

But it is amazing to see how many members have improved their results over the last weeks and how this topic stays on fire :cheers:

I wish you good luck! My QR1 was fine and the change for QR2 got me more trouble in two months than the old one in two years. The baseside shaft did get loose and ruined two sessions untill I found and fixed the problem... (knocking on wood) Recently it all worked well and I can enjoy the DD Pro (8nm).
Thanks to you. I still see a difference compared to QR1. I have a lot less play on the shaft. As for the parameters, I use the basic ones from Fanatec with 100% force feedback (i.e. peaks of 8Nm). And for the game I put it at 5. I don't have enough perspective to modify all the parameters and nor enough experience. With the G29 it was much simpler. On the other hand, I also see a huge difference in terms of braking. I don't have the same reaction at all as with the DS5. It’s really destabilizing !!!! I have a huge loss of control of the car. Maybe it's a matter of habit.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm on a super roll, clocked 1'57.199! The key of getting low lap times is to be consisitent and run at least 30-40 laps in a row and learn the track and how the car responds to it. However the 2nd U-turn before the straightway to the esses before the finish is getting to me, how I time the turn affects my overall lap.

Back