Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 27,661 comments
I had some fun last night.
Friday night, what better way to start the weekend than with some time trialing

First mission was to improve my time at Spa
Really wanted a sub 2:20 time as it was clearly possible, was on track some times even for a low 2:19
But I failed... :grumpy:
Many times I was hitting one of those bollards or when I was on a really good lap I messed up Blanchimont, or even worse, threw it all away at the final Bus Stop chicane...
Not happy with this, maybe I just lack the skill here, or practice
ttspa.png

Well, hope this will be enough for gold.
Was using the Lambo Huracan. Maybe I'll have another go in one of the more meta cars...

Bit frustrated I decided to quit and instead hopped into the lovely M3 at RBR for a first session
Goal was a sub 1 Minute, didn't quite make it.
Many invalidated laps, the track limits in the final two turns are killing me :mad:
ttrbr.png

But I can still see plenty of room for improvement here, and I love the M3

Now the question is, do I even want to try Road Atlanta? I think the car / track combination is too fast for me, probably not going to have fun there...

A session this morning saw me scrape off another tenth. I haven't watched any videos yet so hope to still have some improvement.

I watched a couple vids last night...SuperGT's lap at RA and Tidgney's at RBR. I just don't know how they do it lol. I try and take corners the way they do and the car basically just drives off the track... :lol: I'm so far off that mark they might as well be cooking vids or something for all the good they do me.

Last edited:
@ikon_313 hats off to you on this one, I went for the bronze drift lap and failed 🤣 I couldn't get below 1:06.***

1000009721.jpg

I went for a gold lap after this, took 5 laps to be gold then a fair few more to break into the 59s at 1:59.921.

With a few mistakes on that lap I know I can do better but again just cannot put the whole lap together, I gave many more laps of trying but couldn't do it so I gave up on it.

It's a slidey car which I seem to do best with but just can't get a good feeling with it, so will probably leave it at this unless gold shifts.

1000009720.jpg

1000009707.jpg

A few pictures of the fun I was having sideways again

1000009708.jpg
1000009709.jpg
1000009710.jpg
1000009711.jpg
1000009712.jpg
1000009713.jpg
1000009714.jpg
1000009715.jpg
1000009716.jpg

Oh and the failed bronze lap just for @MUC76 😅

Last edited:
@ikon_313 hats off to you on this one, I went for the bronze drift lap and failed 🤣 I couldn't get below 1:06.***

View attachment 1368616

I went for a gold lap after this, took 5 laps to be gold then a fair few more to break into the 59s at 1:59.921.

With a few mistakes on that lap I know I can do better but again just cannot put the whole lap together, I gave many more laps of trying but couldn't do it so I gave up on it.

It's a slidey car which I seem to do best with but just can't get a good feeling with it, so will probably leave it at this unless gold shifts.

View attachment 1368617
View attachment 1368627

View attachment 1368618View attachment 1368619View attachment 1368620View attachment 1368621View attachment 1368622View attachment 1368623View attachment 1368624View attachment 1368625View attachment 1368626

Oh and the failed bronze lap just for @MUC76 😅

Stop this isn't fair....

Impressive skills

A session this morning saw me scrape off another tenth. I haven't watched any videos yet so hope to still have some improvement. Favourite road car needs more luvin'! What a fun combo.

For the long right-hander, are you all staying in third gear?

View attachment 1368612
I do. But you gotta be careful how much throttle you give it on the little straight between that right and the next left or you'll overshoot. There is a lift in there. Really nice time!

I do. But you gotta be careful how much throttle you give it on the little straight between that right and the next left or you'll overshoot. There is a lift in there. Really nice time!
Thanks! Yeah I have found hugging that right as tightly as possible is fastest. There are even some points in that corner you can over-rotate the car with a lil extra throttle for better turning angle. If you just clip the kerb on the inside of that corner it should set you up nicely to hit the left hander kerb for more rotation. Mastering that right-left is where most of the lap time is, I think.

Thanks! Yeah I have found hugging that right as tightly as possible is fastest. There are even some points in that corner you can over-rotate the car with a lil extra throttle for better turning angle. If you just clip the kerb on the inside of that corner it should set you up nicely to hit the left hander kerb for more rotation. Mastering that right-left is where most of the lap time is, I think.
That and the first corner. I've seen crazy deltas there. I never get it exactly right but I'm close. Super super fun lap. I wish they all were like this. Plus it's just an absolute icon of a car. I never use my own garage cars for TTs but I used mine here because it's what every M3 EVO should look like 🍻😍

That and the first corner. I've seen crazy deltas there. I never get it exactly right but I'm close. Super super fun lap. I wish they all were like this. Plus it's just an absolute icon of a car. I never use my own garage cars for TTs but I used mine here because it's what every M3 EVO should look like 🍻😍
THe first corner drives me absolutely nuts. Super annoying...I can't maintain any speed through it! Either I slow to a crawl and lose all momentum or I carry speed into it and lose all control.

Had again to jump into this TT, because it's the E30 🥰

View attachment 1368630
Go Away GIF

Ok, let summarize the previous episodes in "Pesselles fails to join the sub minute Club".

After being ejected from the yellow territory by a naughty boy, I've harly regain my place with a very tiny margin:

1719667985983.png

Because I didn't wanted to be ejected twice in the same TT from the gold zone, I've spent many many many painful minutes trying to improve and secure this miserable score.

I'm still in trouble with the first sector (26.2xx in average) and the second sector is too rarely close to 34.0xx. So, I can't expect a miracle with such terrible scores. Getting close to the minute is nothing but a dream :(

I've gained 33 little hundredths, which is pitiful but I take it as a victory, as I'm more comfortable but still not safe:

1719668342734.png

Good luck guys, have fun :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Improved my time to 1:00:558 at the RB Ring. This time drove with M/T which makes it more fun especially in the last 2 right handers. Am just confused if TC should be on 1 (which I always run at) or 0.

Thanks to @snc who posts how to get Gold with great hints for achieving it. Will try to better my modest time again tomorrow.

Ok, let summarize the previous episodes in "Pesselles fails to join the sub minute Club".
Please don't care about that club thing Daniel!

I am sooo disappointed 😥
No fun here at all. Everybody is so serious.
No drink and drive (hello, Sim-racing!)

They are just talking about trail braking, shifting techniques, lines, the influence of weather to grip and wind (yes, wind 😆).

I tried to discuss with them, but I accidentally mixed up coasting with chilling and dirty air with smog 🙄. They all laughed about me. 😭

Nobody has time for joking because their sponsors don't like unprofessional behavior.

My conclusion:
200.gif

As your friend I just can advise:
Break Daniel, break! If you are too fast at the final straight, use the wall!

All the best
Martin

Last edited:
Please don't care about that club thing Daniel!

I am sooo disappointed 😥
No fun here at all. Everybody is so serious.
No drink and drive (hello, Sim-racing!)

They are just talking about trail braking, shifting techniques, lines, the influence of weather to grip and wind (yes, wind 😆).

I tried to discuss with them, but I accidentally mixed up coasting with chilling and dirty air with smog 🙄. They all laughed about me. 😭

Nobody has time for joking because their sponsors don't like unprofessional behavior.

My conclusion:
200.gif

As your friend I just can advise:
Break Daniel, break! If you are too fast at the final straight, use the wall!

All the best
Martin
#BestTitanAdviceEver <<< ♥

@Barareklam what are your button configuration settings for using a manual? Mine are not working out,

L2/R2: shift gears up and down

X button: accelerate
Square button: Brake

I have been using this combo ever since I started back playing GT games in Summer 2021. I have to make a drastic change though if I want to improve my times.

@MUC76 I only wear sandals in the summertime!
That is definitely the wrong setup for a control user imo Chris , i now completely understand your pumping throttle corners in your videos....

Definitely switch to R2 for throttle and L2 for braking like the others have mentioned, then learn the feeling for 25% throttle....50%....75% ... just drive a switch.... drive at 75%....go back to 25% and so on... get that feeling how much pressure you need to apply for a certain amount of throttle (and keep it there! for a while)

I contrast to most here I guess I don't use square and X but use R1 for upshifts and L1 for downshifts,

Plus, trailbraking is just not possible with your setup, work to do Chris, you will be happy when you master it, that will gain you a lot !

Good luck!

@Barareklam thanks, mate
I did indeed made a step up with the PS5, controller just gives you a little more input of whats going on, altho I also got more serious on the timetrials so I think it's not all DS5 😁😁 but definitely helped a lot!

Well I need to try to get used to this new adjustment. So if I have to run practice laps using various cars on Spa, then so be it.

@Pesselles Sorry I wasn't insulting the RSR, it just wasn't working out for me. I suppose I don't have to be an expert driver to have fun. Btw I need to change my avatar this weekend.

Last edited:

View attachment 1368616

View attachment 1368617
View attachment 1368627

View attachment 1368618View attachment 1368619View attachment 1368620View attachment 1368621View attachment 1368622View attachment 1368623View attachment 1368624View attachment 1368625View attachment 1368626

Oh and the failed bronze lap just for p@MUC76 😅

To be fair, I was rolling through the chicane mostly instead of sliding and the last two corners was more luck than skill not to fly off or invalidate the lap. Love the massive smoke through T1 and T2/3 in your vid ❤️ Thank you for sharing.

Last edited:
View attachment 1368656

Well. I seem to have found my groove here.

Interesting that you don't slam it down into 2nd for the first corner. I may try staying in third. Excellent lap!
I really shouldn't have touch this 🤧

View attachment 1368666
Keep touching it. It likes it. 👀

If that's what you muster after one go then I expect you to shoot up the leaderboard quickly. I'm getting nervous seeing that gold time slowly come down 😬

Interesting that you don't slam it down into 2nd for the first corner. I may try staying in third. Excellent lap!

Keep touching it. It likes it. 👀

If that's what you muster after one go then I expect you to shoot up the leaderboard quickly. I'm getting nervous seeing that gold time slowly come down 😬
It's a BMW. It wants silky input... It's one of my favorite cars in the game. My dad had a bomber 2002 when I was little and I remember some fun times in that thing. Always had a special place in my heart for the real BMW cars and this is squarely the holy Grail as far as I'm concerned. I'd sell a kid for a pristine E30M3.

Back